Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CITY OF ANGELS  (Read 29922 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:CITY OF ANGELS
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2006, 12:49:16 PM »

Darryl Hickman's commentary on the LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN makes him sound PRETENTIOUS, but perhaps it was just that one project...
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2006, 12:50:20 PM »

I've been finishing up my laundry, and now I can relax for a couple of hours.  Speaking of dirty laundry, I see that Dr Phil has now got a "Dr Phil House," as tacky as the "Starting Over" house.  I don't understand this urge to air so much dirty laundry in public.  I guess even the halt, the lame and the maimed want their 15 minutes of moronic celebrity.

I think I'll check in on my Dad, since I was feeling so under the weather yesterday that I didn't call.  Lady Macbeth has been up to something, and I'm the current object of her whatever.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2006, 12:50:33 PM »

Page Four Attack of the 50 Foot Woman See-Thru Dance.  8)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2006, 12:50:58 PM »

Buildings IN the center of town are for the most part 3 storeys, with retail on the bottom and living on the 2nd and 3rd. The public part of every street is walkable, with alleys behind, where the garages are.

For most of the time we lived in Long Beach CA, such mixed use development was not permitted! (Too much like Europe of the cities of our East I guess). The result was long strips of commercial development that were busy during the day and empty at night. (Well, not empty - lots of prostitution, drug dealing and commercial business break-ins.) It took the more enlightened urban planners to ultimately convince the city that mixed use development that had a nighttime and well as day time component, and shop owners living over their establishments, were the things that would diminish blight and reduce urban crime.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2006, 12:51:29 PM »

You are a willow, DR ELMORE, you can bend!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2006, 12:52:45 PM »

Darryl Hickman's commentary on the LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN makes him sound PRETENTIOUS, but perhaps it was just that one project...

I used to know his son, or a person claiming to be his son.  He went bonkers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »

(And, on a personal note, the Republican controlled state Assembly regularly passes a basic gay-rights bill and the Democrat controlled Senate always bottles it up in committee and will not release it for a vote.)
der Brucer

Where I live, Cobb County, is hard-core Republican...home of Newt, Bob Barr, Phil Gingrey--big supporter of anti-gay legislation. This is the county that passed an anti-gay resolution that was started because a Baptist Church got all up in arms about "Lips Together, Teeth Apart" having "gay content". Not a surprise that they didn't even SE the production. They enlisted two county commisioners and a powerful lawyer to get this through.
The result was that arts funding was cut out of the budget for several years. (We also had a big battle about evolution stickers on textbooks...)

Because of this, the Olympic torch didn't make its way through our county, events that were scheduled here were cancelled, and it was a black eye on our community for years. (The city of Marietta, where I live, has a totally different demographic than the county.) Fortunately, these Republican commisioners were voted out in the next election and the resolution was rescinded.

And for those of you who don't like Joanne Woodward: once she heard about funding cut for this theatre, she donated a very large sum to them to help keep them going. Hopefully that will raise her stock here!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2006, 12:53:59 PM »

I don't know about a city of the future....but here's Chef of the Future.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2006, 12:54:57 PM »

Joanne who?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2006, 12:55:51 PM »

I'd love to see more of what they're working on or developing, because something's gotta give.

Well, it sure hasn't "given" in most of the major cities of the World - take a drive through downtown Mexico City or Bangkok sometime! (And the air pollution in China nearly approaches genocidal proportions.)

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2006, 12:56:06 PM »

Hmmmm....that is NOT from The Honeymooners, but is a advertisement for Braun home appliances.....hmmmmm

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2006, 01:00:59 PM »

I am now the proud owner of a theremin.  I have to get a battery for it, then have to go to Grant's so we can plug it into an amp and drive it around the block.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2006, 01:02:25 PM »

Oh, I meant the combination of children's films and erotica, etc.!

So did I - children and erotica (preferably combined) what's a conservative in the closet not to like!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2006, 01:06:08 PM »

Why was the elephant on a honeymoon?

Only Bears go on Honey-moons :D

der Bruce

We need some FJL lyrics!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2006, 01:08:31 PM »

DR EDISAURUS - Joanne is okay....I especially like her in WINNING and FROM THE TERRACE.

I am probably blaming her for some decisions made by George Sherman and Columbia Pictures....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »

Theremin!!!!!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2006, 01:10:23 PM »

I don't know about a city of the future....but here's Chef of the Future.  ;D

Can it peel an apple?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2006, 01:11:31 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HURRAH!! HURRAH!! GINNY  AND HER DH RICHARD ARE IN NEW YORK!!!!!!![/move][/color]
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2006, 01:11:40 PM »

I don't understand this urge to air so much dirty laundry in public.  I guess even the halt, the lame and the maimed want their 15 minutes of moronic celebrity.

And there are lots of the public (the voters :() who will tune in to see it!

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2006, 01:13:03 PM »

Thanks so much for all the travel vibes this morning.  I really needed them, because we flew on a commuter-size jet - something I'd been avoiding and was pretty nervous about.  Our USAirways e-tix said something about Chautauqua Airlines and Richard's been teasing me about flying Chiquita Airlines.  It was fine, not much smaller than some so-called full-size planes I've been on.  What I really liked was the fact that there were only 2 seats per row, so I had a window and he had an aisle.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »

DR Vixmom - thanks for that special welcome!  Nice to see you online - it'll be even nicer to see you in person later this week.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »

Can it peel an apple?

No, but it can core a apple!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2006, 01:17:27 PM »

I know ALL senators receive the same salary - just didn't know if it came from the money stolen from us by the Federal government or the money stolen from us by the State government.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2006, 01:18:21 PM »

"Heroes" is on tonight.

It's amazing.

Yep, I enjoyed the first episode very much, and the last scene threw me for a loop - totally unexpected.

I read over the weekend that this is going to be a hallmark of the series: a surprising event at the end of each episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

I am now the proud owner of a theremin.  I have to get a battery for it, then have to go to Grant's so we can plug it into an amp and drive it around the block.

BK...how very cool! I love the theremin! Did you see the documentary, "Theremin, an Electronic Odyssey"? That is one of my all-time favorite docs. Is this one of the Big Briar kits that Bob Moog sells?

When "Theremin" showed at a film festival here, Bob Moog was a special guest and brought one of his and let us all play it. I would love to have one but I think it would drive my cats up the wall. :-(

Have fun with your test drive and "good vibrations" to you! And if you haven't seen the theremin scene from "The Delicate Delinquent", put it on your list!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2006, 01:22:09 PM »

Where I live, Cobb County, is hard-core Republican...home of Newt, Bob Barr, Phil Gingrey--big supporter of anti-gay legislation. This is the county that passed an anti-gay resolution that was started because a Baptist Church got all up in arms about "Lips Together, Teeth Apart" having "gay content". Not a surprise that they didn't even SE the production. They enlisted two county commisioners and a powerful lawyer to get this through.
The result was that arts funding was cut out of the budget for several years. (We also had a big battle about evolution stickers on textbooks...)

As a regular reader of Southern Voice I get a blow-by-blow detailed exposition on greater Atlanta politics.

Germain to the TOD, Voice has a lead artcile on the Amsterdam Walk vs. the Beltline debate.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2006, 01:24:50 PM »

Once Hal Roach sold the rights to OUR GANG to MGM, the series quickly went downhill.

However, there was one episode in which Darryl Hickman guest starred as a sweet kid with impeccable manners who was trying to help the gang find out who the mysterious leader of the Gas House Gang was. Of course, it was eventually revealed that Hickman was the evil leader and his charade as the sweet neighborhood kid was a masquerade.

That episode of MGM's OUR GANG - entitled "Going to Press" - was the only one of those MGM shorts that was worth anything, and he was adorable in his "dual" role.

Edisaurus

« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2006, 01:25:13 PM »

Germain to the TOD, Voice has a lead artcile on the Amsterdam Walk vs. the Beltline debate.
der Brucer

Oh yeah---I hate that the Beltline is unraveling! We would be living only a few blocks away from it, if it is ever built!

I'm also looking forward to moving to Atlanta where I can walk/scooter to work and not spend an hour or more on interstates every day!

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

I caught up on last night's TV this afternoon.

I began with COLD CASE, a pretty interesting story of a female National Guardsman injured in Iraq and then went missing once she got back home. The murderer, however, was fairly obvious.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2006, 01:29:07 PM »

Next was WITHOUT A TRACE which had a sad story of a missing mother who was earning extra money for the family as a stripper.

The story itself was good, but here's another procedural that is being weighed down with the personal involvments between FBI members. Their stories took up 1/3 of the running time last night (two different pairs of intra-office relationships).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up