Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION  (Read 47788 times)

MBarnum

Re:ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2004, 03:22:10 PM »

DR Matth, I am thinking that the first batch of Abbot and Costello and Ma and Pa Kettle's come out Feb. 10. which means I better get moving if I want to pre-order!! The next bactch are out in May.

I am also looking forward to the monster DVDs, especially the release of House of Dracula! I have Dracula and Dracula's Daughter already, but I guess I can take those into the store for trade when the set comes out.

What would really give me a thrill is if Universal would release some of there 1940s mysteries on DVD...MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM, the INNER SANCTUM films, THE CRIMSON CANARY, THE CAT CREEPS, etc.

Tomovoz

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2004, 03:23:58 PM »

"Hot Rocks" TCB. I could make a few comments about your fame but this is a family site.
I did rather like Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff". Of the disco music of the 70's I was partial to "Silver Convention", "Village People" and Boney M.  Never really a Bee Gees fan. Also loved the Georgio Moroder "Chase" theme from "Midnight Express" (1979)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2004, 03:30:03 PM »

I should investigate the Ma & Pa Kettle films on DVD (& the Abbot & Costello). They were much a part of my childhood when I would go to a movie matinee every Saturday in the 1950's. "Superman meets Spider Woman" and "Superman and Atom Man" Great serials - I may have the titles wrong. Also remember well "The Story Of Seabiscuit" from those days.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2004, 03:31:45 PM »

I suppose, DR Jay, that our careers as international jewel thieves counts for nothing at this site?

Harry Winston, tell me all about it!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2004, 03:33:22 PM »

I skipped Bette this time around.  Instead of a theatre, she played Madison Square Garden and tickets were $200 or $250 each if you wanted to actually see her.  There were cheaper seats, of course, but they were so far from the stage you would have had to watch it on the video screens and I prefer to see a live act live.

I have seen her many times before (although not recently) and the prices were always reasonable and in proper venues.  Madison Square Garden is for sports and ice shows... not the divine one.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »

I did a little research and found out Rex Dennis dubbed Russ Tamblyn in HIT THE DECK (and Clark Burroughs - the Michael Kidd dubber - for Russ in the "Hallalelujah" number).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 03:46:12 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2004, 03:43:04 PM »

I can't post photos because I am in the Dark Ages when it comes to that kind of equipment. You'll just have to take my word for the fact that I have lots of cool photos of moi from the 70's -- none of them naked on a rug.

Panni

« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2004, 03:46:57 PM »

Fellow Scribe Pogue - If I'm correct in remembering that you're writing Hercules, Robert Halmi mentions it in today's Variety (Army Archerd's column) as one of his upcoming projects.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2004, 03:57:29 PM »

TD-cute pics

Noel it sounds as if you had the same problem I did.  At least you did get a photo up.  Nice picture but where is that great smile of yours?

While we are on the subject of photos, Matt, who was so brave to post first, I think you look better with the added weight.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2004, 04:00:23 PM »

I didn't even know that Bette was coming to Seattle!  I might've gone.  But I have the Region 2 DVD to her "Divas Las Vegas" concert.  I bought a converted copy from eBay (it was not very expensive) but being able to watch in on my very own region code-free DVD player is WONDERFUL.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2004, 04:29:54 PM »

Panni, glad Mr. Halmi feels secure enough to mention it.  I try to rarely mention anything lest it gets jinxed.  I also rarely read the trades...unless I'm waiting in studio offices.

70's music...by the seventies I was firmly entrenched in show, film, big band, and what was already being called golden oldies music by then...so I never really found anything all that charming or memorable from the seventies pop/rock scene.  Having seen the various song titles listed here today, I still don't...

But someone did mention Tom Waites and he was a worthy exception to the era.  A true poet.

Danise

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2004, 04:30:03 PM »

Good evening all.  Day 2 of the great diet and I can honestly say I have already lost weight! I haven’t cheated and can honestly say I feel full.  I thought I’d be wanting to eat my desk by now but I’m fine.  

We had a scare at work today.  We kept hearing gun shots getting closer and closer.   Then, we remembered it was just the Mayor of Tampa being kidnaped by pirates.  Gasparilla and the State Fair start this weekend.

We also had a jumper at the University of Florida as well.  I feel bad for anyone hurting that badly.  I hope they managed to talk him/her down.  

As far as songs from the 70's.  I was your typical Osmonds/David Cassidy/Bobby Sherman fan.

Sorry but I don't have to many pictures.  They got messed up when we had a hot water heater accident a couple of years back.  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 05:38:42 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2004, 04:44:50 PM »

Panni, Actually, the real reason I just don't like to talk about those things isn't the jinxing aspect as much as I what I consider Hollywood's worst habit.  Talking their projects to death.  You always hear these writers/actors/producers talking about this  great script, this great audition, this great film.  All these varied and sundry "great" projects, most of which never seem to bear any fruit.  I try not gab about a job until the contract's signed and the money's in my fist, I try not to talk about a script until it's finished, I try not to talk about a film until it's in the can. I also know that many's the time I've been paid obscenely well for very good work that has never seen the light of day.

td

• td
« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2004, 05:04:10 PM »

But someone did mention Tom Waites and he was a worthy exception to the era.  A true poet.

That would have been me, too.  Once again, back on page one.

Waits is/was indeed a poet!  Any doubt about that may be cleared up by one listen to his album "Closing Time."  Of course his voice is something which is an acquired taste.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2004, 05:04:56 PM »

TD-cute pics

Jnae, have you had your eyes checked lately? ? ? ::)  ::)  ::)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2004, 05:08:30 PM »

Jay-

I have to say that Ben Kingsley's character in HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG has more to do with GREEK TRAGEDY than with SHAKESPERIAN TRAGEDY. The idea of nobility vs.Outside forces leads me to believe this to be true.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 05:09:50 PM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Panni

« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2004, 05:31:11 PM »

FS POGUE - I agree about not talking about upcoming projects, except to a very select few. People always wonder why I tend to be vague about what I'm working on, but, as you say (a) talking about it too much can jinx it and (b) more importantly, talking abut it can "talk it out."
I also rarely show my work-in-progress to anyone who is not intimately involved with it.
I only pointed out the Halmi reference because I know you're in the midst of rewrites and thought it would be a nice boost.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2004, 05:32:39 PM »

I made the mistake of gabbing about the Meltz and Ernest movie and the Nudie stage version and I learned my lesson but good.  The Meltz and Ernest producers were total flakes and they also flaked on Nudie.  I have since been through one additional flake producer on Nudie, which I never once even brought up here at haineshisway.com, having learned my lesson with flake number one.  When we're actually doing a reading or are in rehearsal, you'll hear about it.  When and if Meltz and Ernest gets going again, and when it's before the cameras, you'll hear about it.  And, other than the occasional "I must write" that's about all you're going to hear about the new thing I'm working on until I write the final chapter.

Robin

« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2004, 05:34:39 PM »

I was way too big a geek in the '70's to listen to pop music radio.  And actually, I'm still too big of a geek to listen to it today.  That said, I must admit to being rather enamored of a few artists of the seventies.  I rather enjoy the musical stylings of Frank Zappa, Randy Newman, Warren Zevon and Steely Dan quite a bit.  

But I was more into Edgard Varese, Anton Webern, Arnold Schoenberg and Roger Sessions.  God, I was such a nerd...I remember special ordering an LP of Sessions Second Symphony from Japan, and waiting five or six months for it to arrive.  I really liked the album, even if it was in mono, and played it constantly for over a year.  

So my favorite hit of the seventies was actually Roger Sessions' Second Symphony.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2004, 05:44:51 PM »

td, I think Waites' voice goes with his poetry.  They both sound like they've experienced life.  I agree about Closing Time....And The Heart of Saturday Night, as well as a couple more of his early albums.  Some of the stuff that he has been doing since Rain Dogs, while interesting, I don't really care for...But he's an artist always growing, always exploring...

George

« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2004, 05:52:06 PM »

Waits is/was indeed a poet!  Any doubt about that may be cleared up by one listen to his album "Closing Time."  Of course his voice is something which is an acquired taste.

td, I think Waites' voice goes with his poetry.  They both sound like they've experienced life.  I agree about Closing Time....And The Heart of Saturday Night, as well as a couple more of his early albums.  Some of the stuff that he has been doing since Rain Dogs, while interesting, I don't really care for...But he's an artist always growing, always exploring...

When I auditioned for the Western Washington music department, one of my two songs was Benjamin Britten's "The Ash Grove."  The other song was Tom Waits' "A Foreign Affair" based on The Manhattan Transfer's a cappella version...and I also sang it a cappella (as a solo, of course).  I was complimented on the unusual choice for an audition piece and got into the music department.  Heidi Grant Murphy (then Heidi Lynn Grant) who sang the role of Johanna in the first concert of Sweeney Todd with Patti LuPone and George Hearn was at Western at that time and we had a couple of classes together!  She probably doesn't even remember me.  That was about 17 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 05:57:48 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »

Penny, there is a 1980 recording conducted by Julius Rudel with Joel Grey and the New York City Opera Orchestra and Chorus that was released on CD.  Is this the recording that you're on, or is it too early a recording?

that's the one!
PennyO

George

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2004, 06:09:10 PM »

that's the one!

Cool!  My library (where I work) doesn't have it, but I can try and get it through Interlibrary Loan.  If I can, would you like a CD copy for yourself?  Or does someone else (here at HHW) just happen to already have a copy of this?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2004, 06:33:33 PM »

We must be on our dinner lull.  Dessert is here, however, for the rest of the evening.

Based on several raves here I have a copy of The Triplets of Belleville on its way (a region 2 DVD) - should have it by Friday.

George

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2004, 06:43:26 PM »

For those of you who are Bollywood fans, I came across THIS ARTICLE about "India's top film composer" AR Rahman, the man who wrote the music to Bombay Dreams which was produced by Andrew Lloyd Webber.  It also mentions that he's writing the music for the £8m West End musical version of "The Lord of the Rings."

So, is he really "India's top film composer?"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2004, 06:50:35 PM »

Good Evening!

Did BK mention dessert?  Hmm... I just had one of those Chocolate Eclair ice cream bars.  And a Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bar too.  However, I did stop for some Chinese on my walk back from class tonight - Hot & Sour Soup and Hunan Beef.  Yum!  So, I didn't just have dessert - although I've done that before, and will most likely do it again sometime in the future. ;-)

DR Danise - Go! Go! GO!  Good for you!! -And I hope my talk of dessert hasn't tempted you...  The ice cream bars didn't taste that good anyway.... bleh!!!  ::) ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2004, 06:52:28 PM »

Well, it's official!  The lovely wife, Julieanne, has today declared she loves WICKED!  To prove it, she's been going around the house singing Popular all day.

Robin

« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2004, 07:01:12 PM »

Based on several raves here I have a copy of The Triplets of Belleville on its way (a region 2 DVD) - should have it by Friday.

Add one more voice to the raving chorus...mine.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Michael

« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2004, 07:06:00 PM »

Okay I have the new release of My Fair Lady and have been watching some of the extras that I have not seen before. One questoin what is it with the "time codes" that are visable in some of the extras? Did someone forget to get rid of them before the transfer???
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2004, 07:09:28 PM »

We must be on our dinner lull.  Dessert is here, however, for the rest of the evening.

I found out today that I know the daughter of the performer of one of the songs on the film's soundtrack!!!  

Okay... many degrees of separation I know, but we don't get all that many Oscar nominations here...

(now I realllllllyyyy have to get around to actually SEEING it!!!)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up