Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WINTER SOLSTICE  (Read 42894 times)

MBarnum

Re:WINTER SOLSTICE
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2006, 03:14:24 PM »

I wanted to help him fulfill his Cinderella fantasies.

Well, how come Prince Charming never showed up? That is what I would like to know!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2006, 03:17:01 PM »

Somebody had to say it.

But NOT a Lady :)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2006, 03:26:06 PM »

That e-mail Edisaurus is frightening, but evidently not an unusual opinion. Not long ago I went to Portland with some family members as we were meeting at a diner near a place where my little neice Taylor was having a dance recital that evening. My mom and I arrived early and I spent some time shopping in a little store run by the neatest old Iranian guy. We chatted about various middle eastern singers and what not and then I bought some CDs from him and went next door to meet up with my sis and brother in law.

Well, when my brother in law found out where I had been he hit the ceiling, going on and on about how Iran is our enemy, blah, blah, blah and we were at war with them, etc., etc.

I informed him that we were fighting in Iraq, and it was insurgents we were supposedly battling, not the Iraqi people (I am told we were attempting to free the Iraqi people or something) ...and definately not the Iranian people...in particular not this little old shop keeper.

He also later got a stern talking to by my sister who apoligized to me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »

Well, how come Prince Charming never showed up? That is what I would like to know!
Very much a case of "Blame Jose" I suspect!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2006, 03:27:58 PM »

He was the same brother who freaked out when he saw the little statue of a Buddha in my back yard.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2006, 03:30:50 PM »

....as an AMERICAN.....I am simply OUTRAGED at the utterly PREPOSTEROUS comparisons that are drawn between what happened to those two gentlemen (I actually wrote a term paper on that very subject at U.S.C film school) in the 1920"s and the social climate the exists here today for Muslem-American immigrants living in a post-911 U.S.A.......HOW DARE YOU......in all honesty.....

OK - I'll bite! How could you not?

Perhaps I might argue with some conclusions you reach, but the "comparison" is obvious - comparisons highlight both similarities and differences; any thoughtful person (aye, there's the rub) needs to wait for the product before rendering judgment.

I doubt if S&V will be as innocuously non-judgmental as the Internationale, but the very telling of the tale with all it's uncertainties and contradictions should be thought provoking.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2006, 03:38:56 PM »

Well, when my brother in law found out where I had been he hit the ceiling, going on and on about how Iran is our enemy, blah, blah, blah and we were at war with them, etc., etc.

Shucks - I'll make the case that Iran is our enemy and we should be at war with them. Being at war with a nation does not mean being at war with its peoples. The expatriate immigrants are often at the very heart of out attempts to bring about "regime change".

der Brucer - fondly recalling the banning of Madame Butterfly during WWII because it was "Japanese Opera".

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »

Maybe you're not Cinderella after all!  I heard you were Snow White till you drifted.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »

I edited a film that was in Spanish and 2 Mayan dialects. I had to go all the way to New Orleans to find someone to translate the Mayan to Spanish and then translated that to English. The translations were totally paraphrased. An answer in Mayan that would take a minute would have a one-sentence translation and vice-versa, so I was never sure if I was editing in the right place. The syntax was SO different from English and Spanish. Fortunately, not very many Mayans would see it. They haven't come hunting me down. As far as the Howard Roarke dude, I guess I'd better watch my back!

Maybe he'll come to the "Projectile Festival"!

I had a Somali client and it was really interesting to listen to the language and the interpreter.  It was similar with the long explanation in Somali and then 3 or 4 words in English and vice-versa

Cillaliz

« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2006, 03:52:12 PM »

COOL BEANS!!!!! Barbaro the horse is limping but he is healing!   He will never be ridden again, but he could live into his 20s on a stud farm.  

MBarnum

« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2006, 03:54:57 PM »

Well, the Jet Heating man called me to let me know that despite the fact they said I would have my leaking gas heater fixed and working today it in fact will not be fixed until sometime next week.

I am going to be a very cold and unhappy camper this weekend.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2006, 04:10:59 PM »

I still have to decide how we're doing The Brain Tap for the CD - in the show it involves audience participation - we thought about having a "guest star" for the CD, but a) I don't know who that would be, and b)

Perhapd you could drag Vinnie out of the soundbooth and use him.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2006, 04:21:39 PM »

my locally high profile client will be in court tomorrow. The media figured it out this time so she'll have to deal with the cameras outside the federal building.  http://www.ktiv.com/News/index.php?ID=7237
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:34:56 PM by Cillaliz »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2006, 04:23:53 PM »

I am going to be a very cold and unhappy camper this weekend.

Ask your self, what would Jesus BK do?

You get on the phone and talk to Mr. Heater guy's boss and tell him you'd like some space heaters delivered pronto or we'll talk in small-claims court (after we file a report with Better Business Bureau):

What types of complaints does the BBB handle?

Complaints involving marketplace activities -- misleading advertising, improper selling practices, non-delivery of goods or services, misrepresentation, un-honored guarantees or warranty, unsatisfactory service, credit/billing problems, contracts not fulfilled, collection practices, etc., are handled by the Better Business Bureau where the company is located.

You might ask him if he recommends you keep using the leaking heater. You might also ask him what his attorney says about the health implications of long term natural gas inhalation!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2006, 04:25:28 PM »

Maybe you're not Cinderella after all!  I heard you were Snow White till you drifted.

You can bank of that!

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

The link gave me a blank page, Cillaliz.

Cillaliz

« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2006, 04:28:26 PM »

I changed it to an old news story, rather than her wanted poster. Same photo http://www.ktiv.com/News/index.php?ID=7237 She's being charged with helping Ryan flee during his trial
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:37:48 PM by Cillaliz »

MBarnum

« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2006, 04:36:55 PM »

Is that JLO?

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2006, 04:40:05 PM »

Wouldn't it be JRO

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2006, 04:40:46 PM »

Thanks, Cillaliz. I don't think I've heard about this case. She's lucky she's got you.

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2006, 04:41:01 PM »

I called Jet Heating and oddly enough none of the bigwigs were in the office or available to speak to me today.

So I told the receptionist to have somebody arrange for a nice, comfy, warm hotel room for me and my pets to stay in until the leaking heater is repaired.

Someone called shortly thereafter and they decided that a temporary patch work could be used for the heater so that I could have heat through the weekend*

I said that was fine (even though they won't be able to do that until tomorrow..so one more cold evening).

*I requested that they sign a letter on the company letterhead stating that this "temporary fix" was 100% safe and that I wouldn't wake up dead or blown to bits. I will keep the document at work just in case.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2006, 04:43:35 PM »

Such a shame. A young woman with her whole adult life ahead of her. She messed up big. Allegedly.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:44:35 PM by DearReaderLaura »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2006, 04:44:04 PM »

Good for you, MBarnum.

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2006, 04:48:03 PM »

Thanks, Cillaliz. I don't think I've heard about this case. She's lucky she's got you.

Thanks DR Laura.  I really like her and have enjoyed representing her for the past couple weeks.

You wouldn't have heard of the case. It's a big deal locally but I don't think anywhere else. Most of our cases are totally under the radar. Maybe a mention when the sentencing is over and the US Attys office sends a press release. But this one is different. I get a kick out of the reporters hanging around, but it's really in my client's best interest to not be in the spotlight, so we've been dodging them and I don't comment.

I had one high profile case in state court that had cameras in the courtroom. It was an experience. I learned that I needed to cut my hair in the back.  (the cameras were behind us).  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:51:00 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2006, 04:48:59 PM »

Such a shame. A young woman with her whole adult life ahead of her. She messed up big. Allegedly.

Here I come to save the day....... she'll be ok. Can't say more than that right now.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2006, 04:50:10 PM »

Assuming you have an Adobe reader on your computer, the Wanted Poster .pdf file still takes a long time to load - giving the appearance of a blank screen.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »

I called Jet Heating and oddly enough none of the bigwigs were in the office or available to speak to me today.

So I told the receptionist to have somebody arrange for a nice, comfy, warm hotel room for me and my pets to stay in until the leaking heater is repaired.

Someone called shortly thereafter and they decided that a temporary patch work could be used for the heater so that I could have heat through the weekend*

I said that was fine (even though they won't be able to do that until tomorrow..so one more cold evening).

*I requested that they sign a letter on the company letterhead stating that this "temporary fix" was 100% safe and that I wouldn't wake up dead or blown to bits. I will keep the document at work just in case.

Can't you follow your friend DR Jose's behavior and find a hot body to keep you warm?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2006, 04:53:31 PM »

An appreciative Oz thank you to Dear Reader Ron Pulliam for his well-timed assistance in helping us to cope with the raging fires here. It is hot and windy again today. Ron has helped to take our minds off the situation and ponder other worldy delights.  HHW to the Rescue.

You are very welcome.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:55:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »

of Brandon Mayfield being locked away without access to family, friends or even legal counsel for weeks on a completely mistaken charge!

Hey - at least he collected $2,000,000 of my tax dollars for his stay.

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2006, 04:56:47 PM »

Assuming you have an Adobe reader on your computer, the Wanted Poster .pdf file still takes a long time to load - giving the appearance of a blank screen.

der Brucer

Ah. Well, I'll try again and see if it will load while I get ready to see DR Sandra's class do their Christmas nativity.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up