Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WINTER SOLSTICE  (Read 42585 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WINTER SOLSTICE
« on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were filled with solstice and chips, and now it is time for you to post until the winter cows come home.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:23:30 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WINTER SOLSTICE
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: FESTER!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 04:02:15 AM »

Thanks for asking Dear Reader Laura = fires are still widespread and out of control. We are hoping for some rain in the next few days - but I fear it will only be a sprinkle and not that much use!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 04:20:32 AM »

Thanks for asking Dear Reader Laura = fires are still widespread and out of control. We are hoping for some rain in the next few days - but I fear it will only be a sprinkle and not that much use!

Boy, I know what you are talking about. So do the California people. I sure hope you get some relief soon!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 04:25:14 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  On my first-of-6 days off, I woke up early thinking about all the things that need to be done, so I got up and started doing some of them.  Jello Jigglers, anyone?

Somehow I missed any mention of fires in Oz-land - vibes for DR Tomovoz and neighbors!

DR Sandra's story made me laugh, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 04:34:37 AM »

The Winter Solstice is the shortest day/longest night of the year and the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere and the longest day/shortest night of the year and the beginning of summer in the Southern Hemisphere.  It is when the sun is shining directly on the Tropic of Capricorn.

For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere it means the days will start getting longer tomorrow...the sun'll come out...oh never mind

Cillaliz

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 04:36:26 AM »

Gotta run and get to work so I can be at the courthouse by 7:30 AM. The temp is 35 so even though it's still raining it isn't freezing. I am much relieved about that. Only 2 more days of insanity before I can start my break

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 04:36:39 AM »

Good morning, all!  DR Cillaliz, I, too, had a hard time getting to sleep last night.  Earlier, around 6 pm, I couldn't keep my eyes open!  

I did accomplish much yesterday, which was good: I finished the first draft of the BABES IN TOYLAND libretto notes, totally unassembled and in a very amorphous shape, but I can spend time over the holiday shaping it into something decent to show my colleagues.  I feel as though it took me forever to get something on paper.

On the family front, my brother repaid my dad the money he owed him, and that's nice to know.  Unfortunately, the needless angst and stress remain.  I spoke to my dad yeterday, and he sonds okay.  I'll be glad when I can get back t check on him.

The TOD:  I believe the first Arabian Nights film I ever saw was "The Son of Ali Baba," and I loved it.  Of course now, from a distance of 50 years, I have absolutely no memory of it.  I also like:
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Thief of Bagdad (Douglas Fairbanks, John Justin, Steve Reeves)
1001 Nights (Pasolini)
Kismet

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 04:38:08 AM »

The Winter Solstice is the shortest day/longest night of the year and the beginning of winter in the Northern Hemisphere and the longest day/shortest night of the year and the beginning of summer in the Southern Hemisphere.  It is when the sun is shining directly on the Tropic of Capricorn.

This is the source for Rodgers and Hart song "The Shortest Day of the Year" from THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 04:49:38 AM »

It is the shortest day of the year, indeed.

And of course I have to work today....in retail!

Wonderful news about Bear from DR DANISE, and a lovely Underpants Report from DR [Cas]Sandra.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 04:50:38 AM »

Vibes for MR BK's Christmas wish coming true....I bet it does.

Thanks to DR LAURA for enlarging DR MBARNUM's LP cover, and creating even MORE mystery.

I am now downloading Christmas With The Crickets to irritate the customers at Ye Olde World of Wisdom today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 04:52:14 AM »

I like Jon Hall in Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves - with Maria Montez and Andy Devine....

I like Son of Ali Baba with John Derek....and a crazy Popeye Cartoon with Popeye as Aladdin.

The book is great....and of course the tales are told to keep the teller alive for 1001 nights.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 04:53:13 AM »

Off to work, I hope I have so many customers I can't log on until I get home....but we shall see.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 05:14:52 AM »

Good Morning all!! I know I have been terribly E & T .. it is unavaoidable I am afraid but I hope things will calm down inthe new year and UI can join you all ona more regualr basis.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 05:15:52 AM »

Vibes for all what needs 'em

and A request for "get the Job" vibes for my brother Bob who is being considered for his dream job.....

vixmom

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 05:16:25 AM »

I still paln to get my cards and packages out to you all but they be New Years prezzies by time they get to you!!!!!

FJL

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 05:36:45 AM »

"dream job" vibes for vixmom's brother (is that vixuncle?)

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 06:05:07 AM »

Dream job vibes for DR Vixmom's brother (is this the brother in Columbus?)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 06:08:22 AM »

TOD - For my birthday 10 or 12 years ago, DH Richard and DS Rob took me to see Disney's Aladdin on Ice in Cincinnati.  What I remember most is Aladdin and Jasmine flying on the magic carpet during "A Whole New World."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 06:17:44 AM »

Why am I up at five-thirty in the morning?  This is what happens when you eat some chili cheese fries with onions at eleven at night.

I don't know from hemispheres or semispheres or demispheres - I don't even know from spheres.  I do know from Swedish Fish, however.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 06:20:46 AM »

I think I woke up worrying about what we did and didn't get in last night's session - and I think the only things we didn't get are The Brain's dialogue and songs and Rod's few lines of dialogue, both of which I can pick up while we're mixing next year.  I still have to decide how we're doing The Brain Tap for the CD - in the show it involves audience participation - we thought about having a "guest star" for the CD, but a) I don't know who that would be, and b) it might just be tiresome as a listening experience - or, it could be really funny.  Otherwise there's c) I can just edit together its three sections and be done with it.  If it's "a" then Alet and Cason will have to come back to do some dialogue lines, as will the "guest star."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 06:21:34 AM »

I shall go back to Ye Olde Bed in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 06:22:08 AM »

Perhaps I'll turn on The Sandpiper in the bedroom DVD player - I'm forty minutes in and I must say that it's quite a sleep-inducing film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 06:22:18 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 06:22:38 AM »

What am I, doing a monologue all of a sudden?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 06:24:07 AM »

Well, I haven't posted all that much in the last three weeks due to the busy schedule.  I shall, however, be making up for it in the next two weeks.  It loves when I put on makeup - so I shall be wearing Max Factor Pancake Number 7 and some rouge.  Sometimes I like to wear Max Factor Pancake Number 7 whilst eating Du-Par's Pancake Number 1.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 06:24:24 AM »

I'm just going to keep on posting until the cows come home.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 06:26:46 AM »

Hi, BK!  Do you suppose anyone slept well last night?

FJL

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 06:33:17 AM »

I didn't sleep well worrying about a UPS package Skip sent on its way to Agoura, California, which UPS claims is stuck in Vernon, California due to a weather exception.  So does anyone know:  Are there weather problems between Vernon and Agoura, or is UPS shining us on to get us ready for it not being delivered in Agoura before Christmas?

FJL

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 06:38:31 AM »

I must say the gift recipients that got their Skinner/Ripley Cd's in time for Chanukkah (thanks, ironically enough, to UPS in addition to BK) are uniformly overjoyed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up