Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHIN' GOIN' ON  (Read 63225 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHIN' GOIN' ON
« Reply #450 on: March 04, 2007, 09:06:24 PM »

GREASE was very irritating to me tonight because the judges are doing what they're doing to make it a contest.

In my mind, the only worthy contender out of these four is Austin Miller. He can sing very well, he can dance like a dervish and not be winded, and he has oodles of stage presence. (They really haven't let us see any of the acting scenes, but I'm assuming he can act.) He's also the closest of the four to Travolta if he's your idea of the ideal Danny.

Kathleen Marshall pegged what he did tonight to "Fun, Fun, Fun" perfectly. He had fun, and used his triple threat abilities to make the number really entertaining. (He also showed off his very strong and on-the-money falsetto that puts all of the falsettos used by this season's AMERICAN IDOL men to shame.)

But David and Jim complained that the sense of fun they were looking for looked artificial on Austin during the number. Good god! That's what acting is!

And Austin's number was BY FAR the most complex in terms of movement, choreography (as all of his numbers have been; they always give him the most to do while people like Derek and the evicted Jason always just stand and sing ballads), and interaction with the girls.

Max, who was all three judges' pick tonight, had the second best routine ("Hard to Handle"), but I didn't think his singing was anywhere near the class of Austin's, and he just looks too young to me (and too much like Huntz Hall).

Chad's "Don't Stop Me Now" did have wobbly vocals, but his routine was more interesting to me than Max's. David's infatuation with Chad's looks insures that if he and Derek are in the bottom two (as I suspect they will be next week), they'll pick Chad strictly on looks.

Derek's crack in his vocals ("Heaven") makes two weak vocal performances in a row, and as he was doing literally nothing of interest during the vocal, the judges who liked him from the start have really turned on him. I have to agree. He's got a great body, but his voice just isn't up to the demands of those high notes that Danny's going to have to deliver eight times a week.

I sure agree with DR Jose about this vocal material, however. I hate every one of the songs they used tonight. They must have gotten the rights for peanuts to save money. The girls got much better songs last week.

As for the girl who was ejected, I was surprised. They had saved her twice before, and she wasn't the lowest vote getter this week, so I thought they'd save her. I thought in the sing off, she did the better job of the two. But I honestly don't think either of those two girls in the bottom two have the right stuff for Sandy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #451 on: March 04, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »

Page Sixteen Sleeping Beauty Dance!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2007, 09:10:38 PM »

I GOT THE CALL!!!

(about five minutes ago!)

So, since it's now official...

I will be the rehearsal pianist for the other post-Ebb Kander & Ebb musical, All About Us (formerly known as Over and Over, and Skin of Our Teeth.  This will be for the upcoming production up at Westport Country Playhouse.

So, not only will I be getting to play for the wonderfully talented - and amazingly well-connected - Patrick Vaccariello (who's the musical supervisor and conductor for the current revival of A Chorus Line - and the venerable John Kander, but the cast includes Tony winners Cady Huffman and Shuler Hensley, and the still sensational Eartha Kitt(!).

So, needless to say, there's quite a smile on my face right now.

Thanks again to everyone for their Good Vibes and Wishes.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

CONGRATULATIONS JOSE!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #453 on: March 04, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »

I got home with no problems, only a 30 minute delay in Chicago. I almost got a free flight voucher being bumped voluntarily, but at the last minute he said they had room after all....

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #454 on: March 04, 2007, 09:13:41 PM »

It has! Only it wasn't one of those little silver DVD discs but rather one of those large silver laserdiscs. I have it on laserdisc.

Thanks for the hint - I just picked it up on Ebay for $15

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #455 on: March 04, 2007, 09:14:23 PM »

The cats are glad I'm home. They have chased each other, sat on my lap and purred and now Boo is napping and Callie is trying to get me to go get her some treats. Guess I better go. Night

Matt H.

« Reply #456 on: March 04, 2007, 09:15:25 PM »

I liked DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES tonight. The various stories moved along with interesting dimensions to the characters, and I was quite surprised that the Edie and Carlos storyline (which I had read earlier was going to develop) was handled sweetly and with great aplomb. The Mike and Ian face-off definitely isn't over despite the way it appeared to have to be tonight,.

I love actor John Slattery, so to introduce him as Gaby's next amour was exciting. Looking forward to seeing that develop.

I knew the Tom-Lynette anniversary would turn out just the way it did with her being stranded, but I loved the way that was resolved.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #457 on: March 04, 2007, 09:16:16 PM »

Welcome home, DR Cillaliz! I know your kitties are glad to have you back where you belong!

Here in Atlanta, we're watching a show about meth, filmed in Iowa!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #458 on: March 04, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »

I got home with no problems, only a 30 minute delay in Chicago. I almost got a free flight voucher being bumped voluntarily, but at the last minute he said they had room after all....

Welcome home and glad you got back safely, DR Cilla.

Edisaurus

« Reply #459 on: March 04, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »

The cats are glad I'm home. They have chased each other, sat on my lap and purred and now Boo is napping and Callie is trying to get me to go get her some treats. Guess I better go. Night

got bonito?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #460 on: March 04, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »

Have we totally lost DR Ron Pulliam? I hope you're feeling better!

Matt H.

« Reply #461 on: March 04, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS had a very emotionally distraught episode with almost every character in an emotional quagmire. Was so interested in all of their problems, especially with this new half sister thrown into the mix. Great performance tonight from Rachel Griffiths.

Edisaurus

« Reply #462 on: March 04, 2007, 09:18:56 PM »

I had a bowl of Greek lemon chicken soup at our local diner. Perfect.

Matt H.

« Reply #463 on: March 04, 2007, 09:19:49 PM »

Have we totally lost DR Ron Pulliam? I hope you're feeling better!

Other than for those few posts this morning, I haven't seen his name in the list of users all day today. He must be in bed.

Hope he feels better soon.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #464 on: March 04, 2007, 09:20:18 PM »

...that's why I started listening to short wave years ago...

Which explains the antenna on your avatar's cap!

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #465 on: March 04, 2007, 09:20:30 PM »

Welcome home, Cilla!

NYC misses you already.

Matt H.

« Reply #466 on: March 04, 2007, 09:20:31 PM »

Tomorrow I'll get to see ROME, COLD CASE, and if CBS wasn't pushed back due to sports overruns, WITHOUT A TRACE.

Edisaurus

« Reply #467 on: March 04, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »

DR Jose, if you want to give Shuler Hensley a chuckle, mention The Big Chicken. It's the world famous landmark of Marietta, GA, his hometown:

Edisaurus

« Reply #468 on: March 04, 2007, 09:28:47 PM »

I live down the street from it.

Miss Karen

« Reply #469 on: March 04, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »

Interesting dream DR Karen! But I don't see anything Freudian about my eating weiners.

Oddly, enough I am cooking hot dogs at this moment!

Well, there you have it...all these posts about dreams, Freud, symbolism, etc., and it has nothing to do with any them.  By jove, it wasn't a dream, it was a premonition!  You do like hotdogs and you were going to have them today. ...  Nothing Freudian about that....right, DR JRand?

...but what about those rings?  Got a huge, gold crest ring to go along with those boxers?

George

« Reply #470 on: March 04, 2007, 09:41:17 PM »

I hear Mr. Sondheim [voiced by himself] will be appearing on the Simpsons episode that starts in a few minutes, for those on the East Coast at any rate.

I'd read that Sondheim was going to be on the March 25th episode!  I didn't know about tonight's episode. :(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #471 on: March 04, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »

Yes...I think I remember reading that they cut one of my favorites: "The Seven Deadly Virtues". Why?? They cut it from the movie, too, didn't they? I did like David Hemmings as Mordred, and since that's a song you don't really have to sing, anyway...

Why??

Ahem...speaking from experience (I played the part in Monterey CA)...Selling this song requires breaking the fourth wall; my director actually had me leap from the stage onto the piano in the pit and play to selected individuals in the audience - it was a scene stealer! (And I can't sing a note!)

der Brucer

My Mordred gig got me pre-cast as the lead villain in a California First Theatre production - which I turned down because of the lengthy commitment (every week-end all summer long).

Matt H.

« Reply #472 on: March 04, 2007, 09:50:59 PM »

Heading downstairs to bed now.

Good night!

Edisaurus

« Reply #473 on: March 04, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »

Ahem...speaking from experience (I played the part in Monterey CA)My Mordred gig got me pre-cast as the lead villain in a California First Theatre production

Typecasting, eh? ;D

Edisaurus

« Reply #474 on: March 04, 2007, 09:51:55 PM »

Goodnight, Matt!

Edisaurus

« Reply #475 on: March 04, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »

Gotta get into work extra early tomorrow to cathc up on what I didn't get done Friday, so I'm wussing out...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #476 on: March 04, 2007, 09:53:18 PM »

Ah, the 'ole "Midwestern nice" thing.  I'm sure you're right!

I went to school in Ohio, and being from the East Coast, stupidly thought I had arrived in the Midwest.  The locals quickly corrected me on that - no, I was still in the East.  And looking at a map, you know, I discovered that they were absolutely right!   :P

Any native East Coaster will explain that "Out West" means the other side of the Allegheny mountains.

der Brucer

George

« Reply #477 on: March 04, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »

And as "Grease..." wraps up...

The producers are in no way helping any of these contestants with the material that they, the producers, are picking for the contestants.

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.  And pity.

I know!  I saw the segment on Austin, the blond guy, who was supposed to show that he can be "funny."  They send him to The Groundlings to teach him a few things, but then they have him sing "Fun, Fun, Fun" (as in "till her daddy takes her T-Bird away.")  Yea, that's a "funny" song. ::)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #478 on: March 04, 2007, 10:09:09 PM »

Words that have never been spoken: "There goes the editor's Lexus".

The editor's Limo:

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #479 on: March 04, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »

Maybe DR Jose has surveillance cameras stationed in your house?

Jose would never do such a thing.

Me, on the other hand.......

der Brucer (Patriot Act certified Mrs. Grundy)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up