Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WORLD IS A CIRCLE  (Read 47740 times)

Miss Karen

Re:THE WORLD IS A CIRCLE
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2007, 12:23:45 PM »

Cason-

I understand your reaction.

I don't always like William Finn's scores on first hearing, but after living with the material for a while, usually grow to love them.

It wasn't so much the score...when that little frog guy (I guess that's what he was) came rolling out on the platform with wheels, I was like "What the....?"  I was a bit lost throughout that story -- and didn't figure a lot of it out til after it was over... Not on my "to see again" list....and certainly not on my "to do" at my local theatre list...but somebody loves it cause enough theatres are doing it...so what do I know....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »

Cason-

I understand your reaction.

I don't always like William Finn's scores on first hearing, but after living with the material for a while, usually grow to love them.

That's sometimes known as the Stockholm syndrome.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:24:54 PM by Cason »
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »

And is Little Tokyo located near a rather delapidated area? All hotels in that area seem to have warnings about not walking about the area due to crime.

The area is rife with white slavers, DR MB.  You stay away from there!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Miss Karen

« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »

Well, la-tee-da, I got us into Page 7.. so DS Boo-Key or any of you HHWers (actually all of you except me it seems like) can have the moving graphic Page 7 dance honors...

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2007, 12:27:25 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

PAGE 7 MR. BUNGEE "WHAT THE ****?!" DANCE!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:28:35 PM by Cason »
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

Thank you DR Cason for the info. I shall check out Marouch.

I am hoping that the East/West Players in Little Tokyo might have a play going on while I am there, otherwise I will just do a bit of shopping for CDs and sushi!

My desire, as is always my plan when I take a trip, is to find fascinating and unusual foodstuffs! I do plan on trying to find that Korean restaurant in Van Nuys that I ate at 2 years ago....man that was good food, and lots of it!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

Are any of our New York folk going to see Vanessa Redgrave or Maggie Smith in their plays?
-- Anaïs Nin

Miss Karen

« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »

Just for you DR MISS KAREN, click on the moving "marquee" icon on the quote reply form, then place the text between the two bracketed "instructions"/code. It's not difficult once you know what it's looking for.

Thanks, DR Jeanne, for the instructions (albeit, they are in Greek), but once I get them translated, I will attempt them...

Miss Karen

« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2007, 12:38:03 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

PAGE 7 MR. BUNGEE "WHAT THE ****?!" DANCE!!!

See what I mean, just "what the..." is this guy supposed to be and what does he have to do with some guy in a hospital.....most bizarre story line....

Ben

« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »

Are any of our New York folk going to see Vanessa Redgrave or Maggie Smith in their plays?

I don't have physical tickets but I want to see both Miss Redgrave and Miss Smith as well as Miss Lansbury and Miss Seldes.

Miss Karen

« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »

You so funny!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »

And the word of the day is: VARIORUM!
How did I learn that the local library had a VARIORUM of Shakespeare's works, you ask?  VIA RUMOR, I reply.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »

Our DR Jose just called.  His hotel's internet system is down for maintenance, and he wanted us all to know that he's arrived safely in Atlanta.  I see that DR edisaurus has mentioned the fact already, and I suspect she was alerted by the number of men trying to get out of Dodge ASAP before the pianist with the Russian hands and Roman fingers had settled.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »

Was listening to Les Miz earlier tonight, I have yet to see the show but it must have been impressive on stage. The Original cast recording is very good.
Ah, but which original cast recording?

The original New York City cast recording?

The original London cast recording, which preceded the NYC?

Or, if you really want to trump everyone, the original Paris cast recording, which has the original French lyrics!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2007, 01:01:27 PM »

And one for Dan (the Man)!

singdaw

« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2007, 01:05:23 PM »

Vanessa Redgrave

There was a fascinating piece in last Sunday's NY Times; a diary journal by Joan Didion about adapting her book into a play.  The play [& the performance] should be most interesting.

Ginny

« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2007, 01:12:03 PM »

Wednesday greetings!  Sorry to have been E & T the last couple of days - Monday I was involved all day taking my mother shopping and yesterday I was at work with the boss breathing down my neck.  Today I'm on medical leave, 'cause I had a doctor's appointment (nothing major, just some routine maintenance).  Did y'all miss me?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:37 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - Sorry to hear about your continued difficulties.  Many, many vibes are coming your way!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2007, 01:17:39 PM »

I may have mixed that up with "Charles in Charge" (double-WOOF!)
Woof?

DR Ron, "woof" is a word used as a compliment, directed at hot men.

I don't think your intention is to compliment Charles in Charge (nor Caroline in the City), but rather to disparage.

Might I suggest "ribbit" instead?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »

DR Ron, do you feel the same way about his vocals on A New Brain?

Having been thoroughly disappointed on the Cook album, I've sought no other recordings with him on them.

I don't have the recording you cite.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »

Both "Medium" (NBC) and "Lost" (ABC) are new episodes tonight!
And Good Eats is new, as well!

It's an episode about pommegranates!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2007, 01:25:43 PM »

Woof?

DR Ron, "woof" is a word used as a compliment, directed at hot men.

I don't think your intention is to compliment Charles in Charge (nor Caroline in the City), but rather to disparage.

Might I suggest "ribbit" instead?

DR S. Woody...where I come from "woof" is an expression that both compliments a hottie or serves as an editorial comment on something that is a "dog."

I hope my construct was clear enough to impress upon readers that I was not complimenting hotties.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:33:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »

Btw, will anybody be watching the new fox show after IDOL? Is it called WEDDING BELLS? *(I know it's wedding something). It's by David E. Kelly.

No, I won't. It just didn't look very appealing to me, but then, I'm not much for weddings anyway.

Besides, CROSSING JORDAN now comes on at 9 p.m. on Wednesday giving me something to watch in that hour between IDOL and LOST/MEDIUM.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: March 07, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »

DR Matt, yesterday you said something about being shocked at the vulgarity on the tv show called DIRT...LOL, didn't the name tip you off that it might be, well....dirty?

Ummm.....I've been watching the show all season. The point I was trying to make was how much they producers amped up the sleaze/ titillation factor in last night's episode. Much rawer and baser than in any previous episode - by a mile. And this on basic cable, not HBO.

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »

I watched INVITATION TO THE DANCE to begin my afternoon. Not a great dance film by any means, but parts of it are entertaining.

The first part "Circus" looks very sharp, and the Technicolor was quite wonderful. This looked better than the version on the Kelly laserdisc set.

"Ring ARound the ROsy" started off very problematic with scratches and lots of dirt during the introduction of the players in the number. Then, things smoothed out and it looked fine.

"Sinbad the Sailor" didn't look as good as the excerpt in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT 2 once the cartoon business began.

I guess they have never found the footage to "Dance Me a Song" which was supposed to be a fourth segment in the movie but was cut. I've they've found it, I've never seen it.

Jennifer

« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »

We were talking about the Frenchie Davis/Antonella Barba controversy today at lunch. Except of course, my co-workers call Antonella "you/that girl with your name." The consensus was that Antonella had photos that were posted by her friends without her knowledge/permission. They were taken for fun and not professionally versus Frenchie Davis's being more professional and deliberately put out into the world.

Well i don't know that the producers of idol would want the winner to have these types of photos out there.

Do you think it has anything to do with race?

Or anything to do with the fact that frenchie could have won. While seriously antonella is pretty bad and will most certainly not win.

MBarnum

« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:27 PM »

DR Elmore3003, my NY plans might be changing. I shall keep you posted.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »

I then watched and enjoyed SYRIANA. I didn't find it difficult to follow but with all the cross cutting and multiple storylines that converge into one by the end, one did have to pay attention. Lots of people in this that have been on TV this season from shows as diverse as STUDIO 60 to '24.'

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »

I haven't kept up with the Antonella fracas to comment on it (I find her so appallingly bad), but I think what they objected to about Frenchie was that she didn't tell them the photos were out there. Others in later seasons had problems with the law (Bo Bice arrested for pot possession, etc), but they were forthcoming to the producers once they made the show, and the producers could spin it. The one thing they won't tolerate is being taken by surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up