Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WORLD IS A CIRCLE  (Read 45990 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE WORLD IS A CIRCLE
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »

Cillaliz, it was to be held downtown, which seems odd to me. I always thought these things were done in the local justice court.

DR Laura, I heard something about them consolidating the justice courts and having them in one place downtown.  I know the Maricopa County Public Defender's Office just moved into the new justice building or whatever they are calling it, so it may still be in justice court.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2007, 10:49:38 AM »

What confounds me about the dear reader Laura issue is that no prosecutor spoke to her.  That is just insane for something of this nature.  There must be some sort of complaint that can be filed - people have rights and if they didn't even bother to contact the victim that seems quite reprehensible to me.

That's not unusual. In lots of cases the prosecutors never speak to the victims. Either the cops or an advocate or someone delegated to talk to them makes the call.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2007, 10:52:17 AM »

Thank you, TPunk, MBarnum, BK, DakotaCelt, and RonPulliam.

Victims actually have no rights; this thing with notifying you when they release the guy is relatively new, I believe.

There was a victims bill of rights on the ballot in Arizona when I lived there. We were against it because of some obscure provisions tacked on to it.  But if you do some looking it should still be there

singdaw

« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2007, 10:53:17 AM »

Do any of you DRs have a pet peeve which inspires a corresponding fantasy?

Here’s an example:

I am annoyed by messy and/or difficult product packaging [for CDs, DVDs, or anything seal-wrapped in plastic].  

This inspires my personal fantasy: forcing the CEOs of the companies responsible into a boardroom, and watching while they are forced to open one of their own products.

I don’t have any delusions that watching – as the suits are forced to deal with sharp plastic edges, or sealing labels that shred into a thousand tiny pieces and leave a gummy, sticky residue all over the case – will do any real good, or that these CEOs would even care, since they will have saved one hundredth of one cent per unit on cheap glue.  But it sure would be personally gratifying!

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »

DR Matt, yesterday you said something about being shocked at the vulgarity on the tv show called DIRT...LOL, didn't the name tip you off that it might be, well....dirty?

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »

Better go...I need to get to court.  I told the Judges that I'm leaving (would have been poor form for them to hear it from someone else)  They were both very supportive and want to make sure I get a good number of federal appointments in the beginning to help me get started.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »

At least 2 states boast 'Mega' millionaires
Tickets in $370M lottery sold in N.J., Georgia; other states still counting

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2007, 10:59:36 AM »

my 7500th post  (is that a good thing or does it mean I'm on the internet too much?)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2007, 11:02:09 AM »

I remember liking CAROLINE IN THE CITY when it was on, although until today I had totally forgotten about it...maybe it was just Eric Lutes that I liked!

I liked Malcolm Gets. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2007, 11:02:53 AM »

my 7500th post  (is that a good thing or does it mean I'm on the internet too much?)

Congrats!  And you're not on the Internet too much, you're imparting wisdom to the masses! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2007, 11:03:12 AM »

Thanks, Jennifer.

I was jumpy when I thought he was out with orders to not contact me. Now there are no such orders.

I went out for a cup of strong Starbucks and was going to take a drive, until I realized I am not able to concentrate enough on driving.

Would it be possible to get a (preemptive) restraining order or does there have to be previous direct contact?

Miss Karen

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2007, 11:05:39 AM »

No, because the car never existed in the first place.  This is quite metaphysical.

...and possibly existential, too....Hey, Daddy-O, does this site get heavy or what at times....

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »

DR Laura-BE SAFE VIBES!  I’m scared for you.  Considering were the guy was living, maybe he left town.

Miss Karen

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2007, 11:08:17 AM »

my personal fantasy: forcing the CEOs of the companies responsible into a boardroom, and watching

...you kinky monkey, you....

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2007, 11:08:51 AM »

Westerns day on TCM.

I decided not to get a new television until my 36" tube TV bites the dust.  It is almost 8 years old, so it won't be long.  

You donb't need to be psychic to know that things never break when you want them to! (Ask any homemaker yearning for a new kitchen appliance!)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2007, 11:10:54 AM »

Better go...I need to get to court.  I told the Judges that I'm leaving (would have been poor form for them to hear it from someone else)  They were both very supportive and want to make sure I get a good number of federal appointments in the beginning to help me get started.  

VERY NICE! :D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »

If a car battery dies in a forest, and no one can hear the horn ['cause the battery is dead, see?], then: Did it really die????

Or the more metaphysical query - do dead batteries go to heaven?

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2007, 11:12:12 AM »

Edi-The photo of the cats is darling.  I can picture them scurrying to bed ahead of you. ;D

Miss Karen

« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2007, 11:12:51 AM »

DR Laura-BE SAFE VIBES!  

Ditto -- a hex on creepy people who prey on nice people...

and safe travel vibes to DR Jose -- and any of you out and about on long trips or even short trips to the store or wherever -- be safe ...

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »

Meanwhile, a package I sent to Dress Circle in the UK has been sitting in customs for two days - I was told it would be there in 3 to 5 days, and I guess that estimate is meaningless.  It could, I'm told, sit in customs for weeks - all the more annoying because I may have accidentally ticked the wrong box on the customs form.  I've alerted Dress Circle about it and gave them the tracking number.

That said, I am probably not going to do business with Dress Circle anymore, unless the accountant stops screwing around with the way he's paying - I had an understanding with them after the first three invoices took four months to be paid, and suddenly this idiot is not sticking to the agreement.  So, from now on I don't ship till they pay (they're supposed to wire money when I've told them the package has shipped) - I have no idea not only when they'll get the current package, but when they'll pay the invoice.  Most annoying.

Bruce, I send things to Canada a lot and vice versa and customs is usually the weak link. In fact, I had a real blow-up with one of the US Customs guys when coming back into the US. I don't know why customs is so troublesome, but I do think you should expect it. Maybe it's the additional security.

I do understand your frustration. MOST annoying, indeed.

Miss Karen

« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »

I have not watched AMERICAN YODEL in the two weeks since i've returned and I do not miss it.  That said, I am amazed to learn that the very unpolished Sanjaya - if he were any more effeminate he would ovulate - and uberbitch and inept vocal stylist Antonella have not yet been eliminated.  

:D  You need to write a column -- I'd love to see "if he were any more effeminate he would ovulate" in papers across the country...

Jane

« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2007, 11:18:34 AM »

I discovered a site for discounted pet toys, and supplies…. http://www.kingwholesale.com  The prices are very good & there isn’t a shipping fee, just a $5.00 handling fee for the entire order.

At the rate Sherlock chews through his toys this will help.  I’m going to get him some more Nylabone Big Chews.  I hope he chews less as he gets older.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »

What confounds me about the dear reader Laura issue is that no prosecutor spoke to her.  That is just insane for something of this nature.  There must be some sort of complaint that can be filed - people have rights and if they didn't even bother to contact the victim that seems quite reprehensible to me.

Actually, victims have no rights to demand a prosecution - a criminal case is between the state and the accused. If a victim wants a personal remedy, it must be sought in civil court.

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »

Fortunately Customs has never been a problem when we sent packages to Romania.  The difficulty was Craig getting to the post office to collect them.  While he was in the small town of Tecuci he had to travel an hour each way by train to the main post office.  In Bucharest it is still very time consuming & inconvenient with public transportation, plus he works during the day.  The result is we spend big bucks to get a package to him quickly and then it can sit in the post office for weeks before he collects it.  

Miss Karen

« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2007, 11:24:54 AM »

Congrats!   ... well, that depends on how long it took you to reach the 7500th  -- months or years? you're okay -- a day or two?  too much...

Ben

« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2007, 11:24:56 AM »

I liked Malcolm Gets. ;)

And he likes you, too George  ;)

Just kidding, I don't really know him, although I have seen him live on stage a few times here in New York

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »

Do any of you DRs have a pet peeve which inspires a corresponding fantasy?

Oh, we're going to talk about fantasies, are we? THAT should liven things up!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »

I agree. But do you think she should have been kicked off by the producers for having the pictures on the internet.

Not at all....especially since "substance-abuse-Paula" is allowed to continue on as a judge...even nights when she's in another dimension altogether.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »

I agree with bk, I also find it odd that the prosecutor did not speak with Laura.

I guess it depends on what the police report said. If the reports indicated a simple "he said-she said" case, I suspect it would be dropped without further ado. Many prosecutor's offices have a heavy case overload and case triage is necessary.

Folks who want more service from their law enforcement agencies need to vote to raise the taxes to pay for them.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2007, 11:29:53 AM »

I liked Malcolm Gets. ;)

Were it in my power, you'd have him all to yourself.

I can barely listen to the Barbara Cook "Mostly Sondheim" album for the horrible vocals he provided.  Fortunately, she has DVD of the show without him...and it's miles better.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up