Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: BURNT UMBER  (Read 39204 times)

François

Re:BURNT UMBER
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »

Yes, an accusation he and Hercule Poirot must contend with at all times.

Accusation???????? :o

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2007, 03:37:24 PM »

WELCOME BRIAN! :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »

Chet Clark was a very run-of-the-mill artist. He didn't meet with success in Oz.
He appeared on Six O'Clock Rock which was compered by Johnny O'Keefe known to some DRs through "Shout" the bio musical which starred David Campbell.

Judy Cannon, listed on the LP cover, was in the London production of Gypsy with Angela Lansbury in 1973.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2007, 03:38:15 PM »

Tomovoz

« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2007, 03:40:42 PM »

Mr Aznavour(ian), like his friend Mike Connors is born Armenian!
Thank you François.  My memory ...... I knew there was something!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2007, 03:40:55 PM »

Welcome to new DR (Dear Reader) Brian!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

François

« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »

No mention of "Autumn Leaves" or "My Way".

No!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »

Mr Aznavour(ian), like his friend Mike Connors is born Armenian!

Perhaps by nationality...but he was born IN Paris.

Any nationality born IN the U.S. is American born.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

François

« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »

Perhaps by nationality...but he was born IN Paris.

Any nationality born IN the U.S. is American born.

No question about that; oh NO! He is French! Oh yes!
 :-* :-*

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2007, 03:48:40 PM »

My beloved goddaughter Charlotte and her friends at the Horace Mann school discuss HARRY POTTER!

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1562375&vid=156597

It worked on our main computer!!! :D :D

Charlotte is darling and her friends were very cute.  The entire video was fun.

François

« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »

Thank you for the link DR Ben!

Dame Julie is taking her bloody time to write her book which was promised quite a few years back!

Now... I think that stopping at My Fair Lady is a BIG mistake! Who wants to read about Julie Andrews from age 0 to age 22?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »

A big welcome to new DR Brian! Tell us about yourself!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2007, 03:54:20 PM »

And now that I've asked that, I'm going to be rude and leave!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #253 on: June 14, 2007, 03:54:32 PM »

The TOD reminded me that I had never purchased the orchestral version of Milhaud's Le Boeuf Sur le Toit on CD. When I went to look for it, lo! I discovered there was a 2 piano version! Can anyone recommend a recording of this?

I have Bernstein's recording which also includes La Creation du monde but I also like this Hyperion recording with the New London Orchestra because it includes Le Carnaval de Londres, Milhaud's arrangement of music from The Beggar's Opera.

DR Tomovoz, DR Francois can carp about the Belgian Brel not being French all he wants to, but the songs have French texts and I would guess the arrangements and often co-writers are French.  Is a song with a French text and a British composer, such as Les Illuminations a French song? Beats me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2007, 03:56:35 PM »

Brian is very similar to "BRAIN", which you will hear mentioned in these parts from time to time. We have some notoriously bad typists here, (me included) so keep that in mind if you see yourself mentioned.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: June 14, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »

If i/m in the right spot I love Bizet's Carmen(Leotyne Price) and Kurt Weill's song from Marie Galante(on teresa Stratas' Unknown Kurt Weill

Again! Are J'attends un navire and Le roi d'Aquitaine from the German Kurt Weill's French show Marie Galante French or German songs?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #256 on: June 14, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »

I have Bernstein's recording which also includes La Creation du monde but I also like this Hyperion recording with the New London Orchestra because it includes Le Carnaval de Londres, Milhaud's arrangement of music from The Beggar's Opera.

Thanks, DR Elmore! I will pick up one of those. Maybe you or Jose can recommend one of the two piano 4 hands versions? Just the IDEA of it is very exciting to me

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #257 on: June 14, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »

DR Tomovoz, DR Francois can carp about the Belgian Brel not being French all he wants to, but the songs have French texts and I would guess the arrangements and often co-writers are French.  Is a song with a French text and a British composer, such as Les Illuminations a French song? Beats me.

And, besides, I don't believe DR Francois carps on anything.  He is a gentleman.

Welcome, DR Brian!

François

« Reply #258 on: June 14, 2007, 04:02:59 PM »

I am not carping about anything, I am just -- well, I did not, DR Tomovoz did -- saying that he was Belgian because his writing and his singing,his inspiration and his sensitivity were very Belgian; that's all! Of course, he spent most of his short career in France and I am rather "proud" that people think he was French.
Oy vey! No need to get so upset! :-* :-* :-*

Jennifer

« Reply #259 on: June 14, 2007, 04:03:20 PM »

re: so you think you can dance

Well, I don't really have a favorite right now either.  However, I think not knowing most of them is a good thing.  It helps to put everyone on equal footing from the start.  You just simply judge them on their dancing.  Not on who their father is.  Not on what their mother did.  Not on what kind of obstacle they had to overcome.  It actually makes it seem like a real competition/audition - where most of the time, all you really know the contestant by is a number.

I don't care about their personal stories.  What i meant was that i like to know everybody by name/ know what they've done leading up to now in the competition.

I think it really sucks that we were not given the chance to watch every step of ALL the dancers.

They are making up for it a bit by going back now.  But i would have rather gotten to see everybody's dancing before last night.

MBarnum

« Reply #260 on: June 14, 2007, 04:03:57 PM »

Chet Clark was a very run-of-the-mill artist. He didn't meet with success in Oz.
He appeared on Six O'Clock Rock which was compered by Johnny O'Keefe known to some DRs through "Shout" the bio musical which starred David Campbell.

The reason I asked was because I met him when I was in LA...and I knew nothing of his career until yesterday when I finally too a look at his website. I had run into he and his lady friend while shopping in Burbank and we talked for quite a long time as his lady friend turned out to be a 1950s actress that I liked.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

And, besides, I don't believe DR Francois carps on anything.  He is a gentleman.

I wonder if he eats carp!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: June 14, 2007, 04:04:52 PM »

I'm back to THE CLOSER, Season 2.  I swear Frances Sternhagen is channeling Miss Daisy, which I saw her perform with the wonderful gentleman Earl Hyman, a really wonderful man.  I'm very fond of him, and I love Frances; she's one of my favorite actresses and always adorable whenever I see her, but I can't call her a friend even though I'm friendly with her two sons Tony and Paul, who is on the Kritzerland AFTER THE BALL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #263 on: June 14, 2007, 04:05:52 PM »

Yes, welcome, Brian!

A Leo, eh?

Are you feisty???

A few of us Virgos are gabby as all get-out.  So make your presence known/felt!

MBarnum

« Reply #264 on: June 14, 2007, 04:06:02 PM »

Welcome new Dear Reader Brian! Don't run away, come and stay!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: June 14, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

Oy vey! No need to get so upset! :-* :-* :-*

I was worried about upsetting you!  A lot of Brel's songs are co-written with others so he can't take full credit for a lot of them.

Tomovoz

« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »

I've not checked the website but it always amazes me how much invention goes into the past successes of pop artists and the heights of their success.  I've read a few where the artists have had #1 records in Australia (in reality they were lucky to have made it to #40)
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #267 on: June 14, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »

I wonder if he eats carp!

Just ask him! He posts from time to time here! ;)

Actually, right now, he's sitting in front the computer like so much carp!

Carp-e Diem, says he!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #268 on: June 14, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »

Just ask him! He posts from time to time here! ;)

Ah, he's never here when I'm posting.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

A few of us Virgos are gabby as all get-out.  So make your presence known/felt!

Especially Dear Reader Laura!!!

;D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up