Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A WANDERING JEW  (Read 30077 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:A WANDERING JEW
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2007, 08:59:28 AM »

Move update -- it's not happening.  Long story, just not the right time.  Onward and upward, I always say!

Matt, I was sure you were going to be moving before I did. (Music guy already has me beat, I bet.) I hope it's for good reasons!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2007, 08:59:41 AM »

never assume anything about your audition accompanist.

Except that, if his name is Jose, he'll probably be able to give you a hot tip on where to eat afterwards.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2007, 09:20:28 AM »

Move update -- it's not happening.  Long story, just not the right time.  Onward and upward, I always say!

Well, I for one am sure pissed! I was looking forward to seeing you on the East Coast.  I am so sorry that plans have fallen apart.  I'm sure the next locale will be better and happier.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »

TOD: I followed the Paris Hilton case. Not because I wanted to, mind you. Even without turning on the television, it was everywhere.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2007, 09:22:25 AM »

The first trial just began here in town of one of the two serial killers we had last year. I'm sure we'll hear about it every day.

This is the guy who struck near one of my favorite birding places, so that folks were afraid to go there for quite some time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:23:47 AM by DearReaderLaura »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »

Re:  fake books at auditions.  Since I probably do more jazz than the average theater accompanist, I have no problem with them, and actually prefer them to poorly notated charts (you would *not* believe what people bring to auditions--well, some of you would, LOL).  But I know some accompanists just don't have the facility to quickly comp with only chord symbols, so you want to make sure, as others here have said, to know what your accompanist feels comfy with.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »

Tuesday greetings!  How is it that I wasn't due to work today until noon and still had to rush to leave the house on time?  Part of it was starting a little household rearranging project that I really didn't have time to finish  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2007, 09:41:41 AM »

DR Cillaliz - what a nice article from your hometown paper!  Thanks for sharing it with us.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Julie

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:44 AM »

Good afternoon everyone.  Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do from yesterday afternoon!

Julie

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2007, 09:52:47 AM »

JRand - That's a wonderfully comic part you'll be playing in The Fantasticks.  I wish we could all see your performance.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »

TOD:

I did pay attention to the Anita Hill case back in the early 90s, but other then that I haven't really followed any.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2007, 10:09:17 AM »

I know I was riveted to the TV every time that Jessie Brewer was up for murder on GENERAL HOSPITAL (which was, like, every six months or so...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Julie

« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2007, 10:11:04 AM »

DR Ginny - If you are still looking for comments on the neighborhood of 54th and 9th, you'll be fine there.  It is quite revitalized from how it was a number of year's ago.  It's a bit quieter than it would be if you were several blocks closer to the theater district, but that is a good thing.  It is safe, and you should feel perfectly comfortable walking around there.

Julie

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2007, 10:13:19 AM »

Cindy Williams could do the Georgia Engle role (now the JoAnn Worley role) in The Drowsey Chaperone.

Julie

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2007, 10:14:11 AM »

I see DR George beat me to that one.  Ah - getting behind in the posts does have its drawbacks!

Julie

« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »

Jean-Pierre is the cutest little puppy!  What a nice new neighbor you have.

Ben

« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2007, 10:23:35 AM »

DR Laura, the newscaster this morning mentioned the Stupid Driver law! They haven't yet decided whether to charge the woman for the rescue. I guess it depends on how stupid you really are.

Ben

« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »

I'm seeing Gypsy tonight. I went up to City Center on my lunch hour and got my $25 ticket. I'm in the first row of the Rear Mezz. I've sat there before when I saw the final dress for numerous Encores performances. I'm happy to be there. I have my binocs so I'll be fine.

Julie

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2007, 10:25:46 AM »

Finished yesterday's post - now onward and forward to today's column and posts . . .

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »

I'm seeing Gypsy tonight. I went up to City Center on my lunch hour and got my $25 ticket. I'm in the first row of the Rear Mezz. I've sat there before when I saw the final dress for numerous Encores performances. I'm happy to be there. I have my binocs so I'll be fine.

I just had to turn down aticket to tomorrow's matinee.  Famn!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2007, 10:33:54 AM »

TOD:

I did pay attention to the Anita Hill case back in the early 90s, but other then that I haven't really followed any.

I would have guessed Monica Lewinsky!

Julie

« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »

DR Cilla, Congratualtions on such a great article and interview!  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2007, 10:39:58 AM »

Finally got a place to stay for the first trip in on the 5th, so that's one thing out of the way.  It sounds great, and is less than half the price of a hotel, maybe more (depending on the hotel).  The only thing I'm nervous about is that there's no cable modem or DSL there - but she says as long as my laptop has wireless you can glom on to someone's - no one who's stayed there has had a problem doing so.

Julie

« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »

Have a great time, Ben.  Fred and I are seeing it tomorrow night.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2007, 10:49:52 AM »

I'm stupid, Ben. But even I am not that stupid.

We were driving to California via Twenty-nine Palms once and got caught in a big storm. The wash crossing the 2-lane road was running with water, and no one even tried to cross it. It didn't take long to go down -- an hour maybe. And even then I was freaked out, since I know NEVER to cross a running wash. I watched several small passenger cars go through it before I would try (and I had the truck that day).

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2007, 10:51:49 AM »

BK, you may have to visit a coffee shop during your stay.

Ben

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »

Spoo, I keep forgetting to offer Congrats to the best lawyer on the planet, Miss Cillaliz!!!

Ben

« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2007, 11:04:46 AM »

Jose, I recommended you for a job today. I know you're booked for part of the day but IIRC you said you were only at the auditions for part of the day. My friend has an audition for Full Monty tomorrow and needs someone to run through his music. If you get a call from David Gebel that's what it's about. He's my dear old college friend who also worked with the fabulous orchestrator Larry Moore years ago on a Ben Bagley Jerome Kern LP! David and I saw Hairspray on Sunday and he told me he finally got around to calling Larry. Now they are playing phone tag. Six Degrees of Separation!

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2007, 11:10:13 AM »

TOD - In April, 1993, there was an uprising at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville.  I followed it pretty closely on Cincinnati's Channel 5 for 2 reasons:

1)  The warden was someone on whom, twenty years earlier, I'd had a huge crush.

2)  The TV reporter was about 8 months pregnant and I wanted to see if she'd go into labor on camera (she didn't)

I was quite surprised to find that there is a book about the incident:

Lucasville:  The Untold Story of a Prison Uprising, by Staughton Lynd.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2007, 11:24:38 AM »

We have several MIA Brain shares folks who haven't responded to the e-mail.  Hopefully, they will soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up