Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BK GOES TO NY  (Read 30293 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BK GOES TO NY
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2007, 08:16:28 PM »

I watched ALL FALL DOWN tonight, recorded off TCM a week or so ago.

It's an excellent film, and both Warren Beatty and Brandon deWilde are so beautiful that it's hard not to swoon looking at them. Angela Lansbury does splendid work, and it's a role Eva Marie Saint never gets praised enough for. Karl Malden is good, too. And Barbara Baxley has a poignant couple of scenes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2007, 08:19:07 PM »

Page Ten Drako Malfoy Dance!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »

Will we never get to page eleven?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2007, 08:21:30 PM »

I guess I'll post the notes at midnight or thereabouts.

Matt H.

« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2007, 08:24:17 PM »

Next, I watched '300' on Blu-ray. The movie is fairly hypnotic actually, and I was surprised how moving I found it to be. I particuarly like the first two battle scenes where there was a controlled battle plan and not just individuals slashing at will. That got rather tedious, but the first battles were a lot more interesting than that, and I really enjoyed them.

Because the film is so stylized, I didn't mind the violence at all because it didn't seem real.

As for the high definition encoding, well, it's eye-popping, and the sound was also totally immersive.

Matt H.

« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »

Will we never get to page eleven?

No problemo (a TERMINATOR 2 reference).

Matt H.

« Reply #276 on: August 05, 2007, 08:26:23 PM »

When '300' was over, I watched some of the special features on the disc. There was a half hour featurette on how much was true and how much was fictional about the film (and graphic movie which the film was adapted from). Educational and I'll know more about some of the people the next time I watch the movie.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2007, 08:29:02 PM »

Quote from: S. Woody White on Today at 07:33:08pm
1947.  Check the Kraft Timeline.

You are scary!

No, I just have der Brucer as a lover, and we've both learned from each other over the past 21 years.  He'd have found the answer in ten minutes instead of my 20.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »

There are also several featurettes on the making of the film, and I chose one of the shorter ones. It really spoils the magic to see them fighting in a studio against blue screen with shields made of plastic and light plastic spears and swords.

The muscles are real, though. There's a featurette on the weeks of training the Spartans underwent to be physically fit to represent the troops. I practically got the vapors watching Gerard Butler doing arm curls with what looked like 100 pound weights in each hand.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »

Excellent reference work, DR SWW!
Thank-you.  Coming from you, that is a high complement.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #280 on: August 05, 2007, 08:31:06 PM »

I concluded my evening's entertainment with tonight's ENTOURAGE. Eric rents an office so he'll have a quiet place to work, and the rest of the guys buy him a desk for the office that was once a present from Scorsese to DeNiro. Only Gary Busey bought it first, so they have to go negotiate with him for it.

Matt H.

« Reply #281 on: August 05, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »

I should be able to get to BERSERK! tomorrow before the mail brings the next slew of Criterions.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #282 on: August 05, 2007, 08:32:55 PM »

...One good thing about it was that a running gag in the plot was that the star Salman Khan would take his shirt off at the drop of a hat. It wasn't particularly funny...just nice  ;)

Here are two of the stars of PARTNER...Salman Khan and Govinda.

It would have been funnier if they'd had Govinda put his shirt ON at the drop of a hat.   ::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #283 on: August 05, 2007, 08:34:55 PM »

I guess I'll post the notes at midnight or thereabouts.
Don't forget, you've changed coasts.  That makes it 9:00 pm HHW time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #284 on: August 05, 2007, 08:36:33 PM »

Good Evening!

And what a gorgeous evening it is here in NYC!  After parting company with BK at the Duane Reade on 8th Ave. - well, one of the Duane Reade's on 8th Ave. - I walked up a couple more blocks.  I stopped into Whole Foods at Columbus Circle, got an iced mocha and a chocolate cookie (a.k.a. dessert), then walked up Broadway to 72nd where I caught the 1 Train back uptown.  Truly a nice evening all around.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #285 on: August 05, 2007, 08:38:35 PM »

The time change could prevent us from getting to page eleven.  And I need to get to bed, due to an early wake-up call tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #286 on: August 05, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »

My Joe Allen dinner report:  The Pappardelle with Beef Stewed in Red Wine, Olives, Vegetables and Parmesan

It was my first time trying that dish, and it was quite tasty.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #287 on: August 05, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »

And I've got der Brucer's birthday dinner to plan for, for Wednesday.  I'm pretty sure we've got a leg of lamb in the freezer downstairs.  Der B loves leg of lamb.  What to put on the plate with it makes for an interesting challenge.  Robust flavors.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #288 on: August 05, 2007, 08:41:20 PM »

My Joe Allen dinner report:  The Pappardelle with Beef Stewed in Red Wine, Olives, Vegetables and Parmesan

It was my first time trying that dish, and it was quite tasty.
Green olives, or black?

Matt H.

« Reply #289 on: August 05, 2007, 08:42:35 PM »

Since bk is going to close the thread down soon, I'm going to head on down to bed now.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #290 on: August 05, 2007, 08:44:22 PM »

DR Adriana Patti - I guess we both had the year wrong... the year we were in NYC at the same time.  Since Wicked did not open until the fall of 2003, there's no way either of us could have seen it in January of 2003.  It must have been January 2004.  -And since we saw Urinetown during it's closing week, then that would have been January 2004 too.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #291 on: August 05, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »

I've had this "air conditioner" unit on since I arrived and it's about ninety degrees in here.  

I feel your pain!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #292 on: August 05, 2007, 08:44:32 PM »

Tonight's dinner was simple: steak, thinly sliced against the grain.  Taters, baked.  Iceburg lettuce, with bleu cheese dressing and crumbles.  Tasty.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #293 on: August 05, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »

Green olives, or black?

Green.  It was sort of a high-end picadillo.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #294 on: August 05, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »

Interesting.  I'm not a green olive fan (and only like olives as an ingredient, never on their own), but I can imagine the flavor profile.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2007, 08:48:33 PM »

Hmm...

Well, I was a bit tired after dinner, but now I seem to have caught a second wind.  -I guess I should not have had that iced mocha (with soy milk) and those Chocolate Walnut Chewies from Whole Foods.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2007, 08:49:54 PM »

Interesting.  I'm not a green olive fan (and only like olives as an ingredient, never on their own), but I can imagine the flavor profile.

*And I'm guessing that they probably use the same base for the filling of their "Argentinian Beef Empanadas".  -Which I have yet to try.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »

Green.  It was sort of a high-end picadillo.

High end peccadillos. The very best kind.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jason

« Reply #298 on: August 05, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »

*And I'm guessing that they probably use the same base for the filling of their "Argentinian Beef Empanadas".  -Which I have yet to try.

That makes me want fried chocolate.

::Shakes fists in the air::

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #299 on: August 05, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »

And not to go into specifics, but... I received a wonderful e-mail from a wonderful person who happens to be a wonderful composer.  And he assured me that I'd be working with him again in the future.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up