Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS  (Read 35579 times)

singdaw

Re:MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2007, 10:09:24 AM »

Are you sure that's not him over by that bush?  From this angle, it sure resembles him...

You may very well be right, DR RLP!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »

On the other hand, I did work at the Alex Theater in Glendale, CA, for a while.  I was an usher.  This was before they boarded the place up, and well before they refurbished the joint so that it could be turned into a fine place for concerts and such.

Back when I was there, the place was a mess.  Dingy, grimy, terrible.  It's much finer now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »

Oakland has several other historic theaters.

One is The Paramount, which has been restored and used for special events, such as concerts, ballets and the venue for the now-defunction Oakland Symphony Orchestra (went bankrupt before the 2006-07 season).

The link above is a youtube video showing the outside, some interiors and then part of a concert that was going on when the video was made.  It's a magnficent theater.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2007, 10:14:56 AM »

DR singdaw - I have a Kurzweil PC2X to which I added the Orchestral ROM Expansion Board.  It's 88-keys with weighted action.  I have a small, 40-watt, Peavey Keyboard amp, as well as a nice pair of Sennheiser studio monitors (headphones) for "quiet practice".
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2007, 10:15:52 AM »

I enjoyed Chuck last night.  It'll be a fun series.

And Heroes follows - two good shows back to back!

But I didn't care for Journeyman.  The storytelling was fractured and very hard to follow - and I'm the guy who has to explain plotlines to der Brucer! - and I've a hunch it won't last long.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:20:27 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2007, 10:18:07 AM »

Another historic theater is the Fox Oakland....a longtime target for demolition, it has FINALLY been saved by being placed on the Naitonal Historic Register.   Restoration has been, is and will continue to be very costly, but it has several grants and is being renovated to become the future home of the Oakland Center for the Performing Arts.  

This LINK gives a very nice overview of the theater's past and future.

From that link comes THIS section on the detail work inside the theater...some of it restored and some it badly in need of restoration.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2007, 10:18:33 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR JoseSPiano!  A good artist should have good working conditions.   :)

singdaw

« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »

Here is the Fox as a toddler before it grew up:

Jennifer

« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:17 AM »

Nothing personal toward you, DR Jennifer, but the thought of seeing any of those "individuals" again is enough to make me retch.

I actually totally get it.  I was not a fan of the donatos at all.

But i got to liking zach near the end. And at times i was a fan of eric/jess. And i wanted to hear the kind of callers they would get (especially the donatos).

So these housecalls were quite interesting to me.  

The most annoying part was all the the calls to dick and dani were fans of theirs. Every single call!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR JoseSPiano!  A good artist should have good working conditions.   :)

You're welcome, DR singdaw.  The one thing I do like about the set-up - even though I always do prefer a real, live piano - is that when I do accompaniment tracks for singers, I'm able to connect my keyboard to my laptop.  Since it's a direct line, we don't have to be quiet during the recording.  In fact, the singer gets to sing along while I play - which makes the resulting accompaniment track a bit more "live".  It also comes in handy for the rare dance rehearsal tracks I've recorded for people since the choreographer can be right there doing the count-offs and tempo changes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2007, 10:28:33 AM »

And speaking of my keyboard, I guess it's time to go over some of the two songs I'll be playing this afternoon.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »

Since I've got the late shift at work this evening, der B gets to hog the TV, which would make him happy, but...

Ah, but!  

Eight o'clock, he's got Bones and NCIS running opposite each other.  Watch one, record the other.

Nine o'clock, things get really complicated.  House.  The Unit.  Maybe The Reaper.  And Eureka, for when I get home.  Way too much going on all at the same time.

Ten o'clock, more conflicts.  Law & Order: Sorta Vaccuous Unit.  Maybe Cane.  And I get off work at ten-thirty, and I don't walk home at night - that road is too dark and iffy.

And then I get to make dinner!

singdaw

« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2007, 10:35:45 AM »

DR SWW - sounds like you need a second DVR!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »

Ahh, Chanhassen Dinner Theatre. I haven't been for years but they were actually quite good for a "dinner theatre". I know the reputation of dinner theatres is not the best but Chan put on some good stuff and they were quite the employer of Equity actors in the Minneapolis area.

I have been to a couple of performances there.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

Ahh, Chanhassen Dinner Theatre. I haven't been for years but they were actually quite good for a "dinner theatre". I know the reputation of dinner theatres is not the best but Chan put on some good stuff and they were quite the employer of Equity actors in the Minneapolis area.

I haven't been there in ....close to  30 years, but we loved it back then.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »

DR SWW - sounds like you need a second DVR!
I don't, but as for der B.....   ::)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »

And ***COPING VIBES*** also to DR Michael S.  May your pain be gone SOON.

I believe Michael S and I have entire wings reserved for us at the HAINES HIS WAY Memorial Nursing Home which will be built on the former site of the Acorn Theatre.  It was at that spot that the longest running musical in New York history first began its professional run.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »

Gee, those gold lame gentlemen don't look anything like the boys in L. A.
“One thing’s universal,

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2007, 11:30:08 AM »

Hmm... Currently, no Amtrak service along the Northeast Corridor due to a traffic accident in Philadelphia.  I hope it's cleared up in time for DR Jeanne's journey tomorrow.

Thank you, Jose. So do I! And I hope to meet you, too!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2007, 11:33:07 AM »

I believe Michael S and I have entire wings reserved for us at the HAINES HIS WAY Memorial Nursing Home which will be built on the former site of the Acorn Theatre.  It was at that spot that the longest running musical in New York history first began its professional run.

Well, I just hope that you mean that the air-rights to the Theatre Row complex have been sold, and that the nursing home will be built on top of the current structure.  Especially since the refurbished Theatre Row is only about five years old.  Of course, since we're dealing with New York City real estate, well, anything is possible.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

And as for tomorrow... I'll be in rehearsal from 2:00-5:00... So I'll probably second-act The Brain - I know the writer/director/composer, so I think I should be able to get in. ;)  -And then sup with the assembled Hainsies and Kimlets after the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »

PLYYYYYYY me the music...!

God love Donna McKechnie.

And now I'm off to work. :-\

Does anyone know when Jason starts rehearsals?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2007, 11:36:06 AM »

And, yes, ~~~~~TRAVEL VIBES~~~~ to DR MusicGuy who should be somewhere in the air between here and Arizona.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2007, 11:37:14 AM »

Does anyone know when Jason starts rehearsals?

Not till sometime in November I believe.  It's a two-week rehearsal period, then a couple of weeks on the road (basically the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »

Now, as for the start of rehearsals for playing Tracy Turnblad on the Broadway, well, his people are still talking to their people.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »

Thank you, Jose. So do I! And I hope to meet you, too!

I'm just trying to decide whether to meet you at Penn Station with Levain Cookies in hand or Amy's Bread's Monkey Cake.  Or both?  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »

I have been to a couple of performances there.

Up uuntil about 15 years ago, I was a regular visitor at the Chanhassen - which had 4 dinner theaters....

Then the original owners sold it, and with the new people it went downhilll from there - as far as I remember. I think one of the 4 theaters was closed for dinners and just did plays, another only had plays intermittently...the quality of both the food and productions did seem to go down after that.

I saw The Foreigner there with an excellent actor named Bob Davis, and loved it. Several others that aren't coming to mind now, but that's the one I really enjoyed and saw several times.

Dakota, have you ever been to the Old Log Theater?  They had some good stuff there, too! Again, that's memories of 15 years ago...  
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2007, 11:40:55 AM »

Well, I've done my bit of practicing...  And now I'm wondering just who will be showing up for this audition... I'm sensing that I will probably be a little star-struck this afternoon.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

And, now, do take care of some long overdue tidying up.  -Yes, that includes putting away the laundry I did last Friday.  :-\

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »

Tonight I'll have the season premieres of several shows to either watch or record: BONES, HOUSE, SVU, BOSTON LEGAL, and DAMAGES.

Note to fans of BOSTON LEGAL. It begins thirty minutes earlier tonight: 9:30 p.m. EDT.

None of the new series premiering tonight have really captured my interest from reading about them though REAPER (in the old VERONICA MARS slot) may get my attention later in the season if it lasts at all.

From what I have read, REAPER is considered to be one of the surefire hits of the new season.  Almost as big a hit as STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up