Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FEELING THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT  (Read 35163 times)

Ginny

Re:FEELING THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 06:31:09 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It got windy here last night and turned very cold.  Fortunately, the precipitation (rain) had stopped before the temps dropped.

TOD - When we moved into our house we found a table in the basement that I claimed as the "package wrapping table."  It's counter-height with formica top and storage underneath for paper and ribbon and such.  As I find suitable gifts throughout the year, I put them on the shelves above the table and soon will have to sort through and see just where I am.  This year, I'm having a little trouble bringing it all into focus and am trying not to panic.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »

I'm not much for feeling holiday spirit... when I see some holiday spirit lying around, I'm much more likely to drink it than feel it...  ;D

As for gifts, well, ours came a bit early this year (or late, depending on how you look at it, I guess):

Baby boy came into the world by c-section Saturday morning at 0027 hours, weighing in at 7lbs. 6oz. and 19.5". General consensus (with several significant judgements still left to be made) is that baby looks very much like his older brother, but has a little bit more of his father's features.

Mother and baby are doing well, and expect to be home before the end of the week. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to try and build up a sleep surplus while I still can...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 06:46:46 AM by Elan »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS TO ELAN AND FAMILY.

AN EARLY HANUKKAH PRESENT

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 06:53:28 AM »

That is wonderful, DR Elan!  Mazel Tov, and thanks for posting the picture!  :)

FJL

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 06:58:39 AM »

Mazeltov to Elan and family

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 06:58:48 AM »

Awww, what a beautiful baby!  Congratulations to DR Elan and family!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »

Good morning!

A bit warmer than I was expecting this morning, but it's not supposed to warm up at all today in preparation for a temperature plunge later in the week. But it's beautiful outside right now. We had some rain during the night, but it doesn't look like it was very much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 07:13:07 AM »

Not a big baby fan, but yours looks precious, DR Elan. Congratulations!

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 07:13:44 AM »

"On the Right Track," my favorite song from PIPPIN and maybe my favorite Schwartz song where he wrote both music and lyrics.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 07:15:10 AM »

I have completed shopping for everyone on my list except two people, partners of close friends with whom I have little in common. I usually stroll around Pier 1 to find out of the ordinary little trifles for them because honestly, I never know what to get them for CHristmas.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 07:16:19 AM »

I am EAGERLY awaiting tonight's THE CLOSER (there's a marathon of season three episodes on today. Only one seems to be missing), and I will be watching it "live." CHUCK and HEROES will have to wait until tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »

I exchange gifts with my friends through a series of CHristmas dinners held each year at one person's (out of the group) house. One's date is already set - December 20th. Don't know yet about the others.

Michael

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 07:20:35 AM »

I haven't bought any gifts yet, but I know what I am going to get two friends of mine who are now the longest coupled people I know. The other two couples broke up this year. One after 19 years and the other after 5 years.

Getting back to the couple who are still together....Another friend and I are getting together to buy them new dishes, flatware and glasses.

Other friends and family I do not know at this time. Since my neice and nephew will be done here for their school break in a few weeks I'll probably get them a gift certificate to get clothes.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 07:24:18 AM »

Today I will try to watch DEXTER. I want to transfer climactic moments from the last two TORCHWOODs to a DVD-R (not the whole episodes, just emotional moments; those who have seen them know what I'm talking about) so I can clear those from the hard drive. And I will continue to watch MURDER SHE WROTE episodes. Hopefully the ones today will all feature Angela.

Tonight, I hope to get to BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA on Blu-ray.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 07:44:07 AM »

Christmas shopping is pretty easy for me as we draw names and so there is really only one present that I need to get and it will be a gift certificate to an art store.

I no longer by for nieces and nephews as they are all over 18 now and have joined the grown-ups. I do buy for the grand-nieces and nephews which is pretty easy and fun, and most of that shopping was done long ago.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2007, 07:45:37 AM »

Bosco and Freddy, on the other hand, have yet to do their gift shopping for me...they always buy the best gifts!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 07:50:51 AM »

Congratulations to Elan and family on the new little bundle of joy!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 08:00:55 AM »

Not to be a wet blanket, but Der Brucer, those two photos referring to the "Bear" situation that you posted are rather tacky and certainly do not help the situation that they are directed towards. It may be difficult for some to understand the point of view of the population that are offended by that, but to add fuel to the fire does nobody any good.

And considering how upset another DR, who is very close to you, was last week over a political joke that was taken as quite a personnal insult, I would think you would have thought this out better.

'nuff said.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:25:37 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 08:02:23 AM »

I'm heading down now to get a jump start on cleaning up for lunch out later with best friend John.

WBBL.

td

• td
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »

Such a gorgeous baby!  Congrats, DR Elan!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 08:13:32 AM »

FOR TODAYS'S TOPIC:

der Brucer
In order:
Costumes for DR Jane...
                      ...her DH Keith...
                               ...And there's a score of us here who could wear the last one!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:14:14 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »

Listening suggestions for BK:  BK, it occurred to me with your recent acquisition of Weather Report, and your ongoing exploration of Bossa Nova, you should try to get Wayne Shorter's "Native Dancer" CD (Columbia), which features some sublime guest turns by Milton Nascimento.  In fact it was this album that introduced Milton to a lot of American audiences, even though his CTI release "Courage" had been out for several years.  Unfortunately the CD is marred by some bad mastering, speed-wise (you'll hear some speed shifts, especially in "Beauty and the Beast," not the tune you're thinking of ;) ).  The album also features Herbie Hancock on keys.  Milton's next album, entitled "Milton" and on A&M, is also available on CD and features Wayne again.

Also, I'm assuming you already have the two Toots Brasil Project CDs--both superb.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2007, 08:20:59 AM »

I think BK is now ready for Richard Harris' Grammy-winning "Jonathan Livingston Seagull."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »

The truly offensive things happening  in this world today are those people taking offense at every single thing they can think of in order to get a little attention...photo ops, as it were, to pose and preen for the cameras.

Execution for a teacher whose class named a teddy bear Muhammad?

What if Rome demanded death of everyone named Jesus, Mary or Joseph?  I know it's an extreme.  After all, Islam allows children to be named Muhammad.  But I wonder what happens when one of those Muhammads becomes a thief, murderer or, shudder, homosexual.  I know "Muhammad" is executed brutally, but what happens to those who "named him" Muhammad????????

What if novitiates of the Archangel Michael suddenly demanded disembowelment of everyone named Michael who didn't live up to their idea of what a Michael should be?

The JOYOUS thing here is that we live in a country with Freedom of Speech, guaranteed by LAW.

That freedom includes the right to speak your mind over such nonsense as the teddy bear issue.  If someone is offended, he has every right to say so.  But not at the expense of silencing the other voice.

Abandon that freedom and we will all be subjugated to voodoo nonsense the likes of which will destroy the world.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:38:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2007, 08:34:15 AM »

It's Monday.  Counting down the week, I am.

Actually, it's a bit anxious out today.  I feel so "behind" in getting things done.  That's because everything isn't done, so it's a valid feeling.

But, there isn't anythng I could have done about preventing it since I am waiting for certain things that will transpire this week...and next Monday (root canal).

A huge part of my "Christmas" for family is a large order of See's Candy.  My order was placed a month ago (as it has been every year for the past 10).  The candy is supposed to arrive this week.  It usually arrives on time.

One year, though, it was a week late and high anxiety set in badly.

My mom will get about 15 pounds of candy.  Another 24 pounds will go to various family members.  Sigh.

I've got to get that all packaged up and shipped out before week's end in order to have any kind of peace of mind this weekend...and to avoid being totally stressed during my Monday dental procedure.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »

Congratulations, Elan, on the arrival of your son.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2007, 08:35:02 AM »

Checking on der B's posts from yesterday, he clearly did not tell of the big to-do we had at our house.

The power went out!

Oh, yes, the power went out all through the neighborhood.  I'd gone off duty at work at seven-thirty yesterday evening, and it took us about a half-hour to get the shopping done (something that normally takes less time, but der Brucer came in to help and that always doubles how long the shopping takes).  Then we had to head to Wal-Mart for a big bag of dog munch, and der B also had to find bird food and squirrel food and if we had wild bandersnoots in our neighborhood he'd have also found wild bandersnoot food.

So we didn't get home until about eight-thirty.  And the lights were out.  No telling how long the power had been down.

The dogs were very glad to see us, of course (how convenient for them that they can see in much less light than we can).  I fumbled around in the dark to find their "Oh-goodie-the-tall-one-is-back!" doggie biscuits while der B fumbled around in the dark to find where he'd stashed a flashlight or two.  There was no chance of cooking dinner, of course - the pump for our well was out, so there was no water to be had.  Some votive candles were located, and I just settled down on my bed and gave Fletcher the petting he wanted.

It was close to nine when the lights came back on.

And that was our thrilling adventure last night.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2007, 08:40:43 AM »

S. Woody:  Are you guys expecting SNOW?  :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:06 AM »

Congratulations to DR Elan and his newly larger family!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up