Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: EVELYN WOOD  (Read 35052 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:EVELYN WOOD
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »

I have the old piano roll version, so I'm assuming it's one piano...

Ah... That's probably more like a One Piano, Three-Hand version, and I wonder if it's one of the piano rolls that Gershwin himself prepared and "doctored".  Artis Wodehouse "repaired" and transcribed some of Gershwin's piano rolls a couple of years ago, and a recording was later released, as well as a book of transcriptions.  -And if you look at the transcriptions, you can definitely tell that Gershwin added a few notes here and there after he had "recorded" them.

*There was also a second volume issued (both on Nonesuch).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:49:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »

The piano 4 hands version I have is performed by Frank Milne and Ernest Leith.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2008, 08:54:07 PM »

Ah... That's probably more like a One Piano, Three-Hand version

Was there an accident? Or what was the other hand "doing"?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #333 on: January 15, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »

My version is on Biograph.

BTW, Jose, what does it mean when the notes refer to musicians "inscribing" the piano rolls? Does it mean notating what was recorded?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #334 on: January 15, 2008, 08:58:54 PM »

This year saw a prime example of Hollywood botching: I wasn't wild about Hairspray on stage, but an inexperienced director mucked up just about everything that made it work.

The "adults," John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken and Queen Latifah all have embarrassing and/or underwhelming moments.  Edna was the creation of Divine and amplified by the basso camp-purveyor Harvey Fierstein for the musical.  Why cast Travolta and force him to wear a fat-suit that limits his mobility?  I'll never understand this.  He's weird, not humorous, and seems to have been going in the exact wrong direction, by trying to make her a real woman.  If that's the right direction, they could have gotten a real woman.  And how embarrassing that Michelle Pfeiffer can't wrest a single laugh out of seducing the oddly sexless Christopher Walken.

What remains are the convoluted story, which switches racial prejudice for anti-fat prejudice as if they're on an equal plain, and those songs, which are frequently witless, pointless, or just uninventive

But let's just talk about the rat for a moment.  On stage, Tracy sings about the rats at her feet and a robotic rodent does these cute moments and it's successfully charming in an oddball way.  In the movie, there's a real rat, which doesn't dance or do anything particularly rat-like.  Ick.

To see the praise heaped on this travesty was disconcerting indeed.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »

I was just perusing Playbill.com and came across THIS article about the opening night of The Little Mermaid.  What I found MOST exciting was this passage:

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

HOPEFULLY, they won't have the "happy" ending for this (potential) Broadway version like the movie had. :)

I actually didn't mind the "happy" ending of the theme park version that used to run down at MGM-Studios.  In fact, even though they closed it a few years ago, it's still my favorite of the Disney theme park shows.  It was a great mix of live actors and some puppetry.  And, of course, the music.  "Out There" still gives me goosebumps.

I also ended up playing the auditions for the first cast for that show.  It was quite the experience teaching the potential Clopins "The Bells of Notre Dame" since it ended on a high-D(!!!).  Even on the soundtrack for the movie, Alan Menken ended up singing the ending notes since the original singer thought they were too high, and that he would hurt his voice.  So, of course, trying to "convince" young actors that they had to sing a high-D for their audition... Well... It was actually kind of thrilling.  -When they would hit it. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »

TOD: THE PRODUCERS (the musical)
THE MUSIC MAN (the TV version)
BYE BYE BIRDIE (because of the cheesy effects previously mentioned)
RHINOCEROS (although I LOVE the cast--Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2008, 09:02:04 PM »

I grew up in a home with a Duo-Art piano.  This is a player piano that plays rolls that were "inscribed" using a special process that captured the expression of the famous pianists of the day (that day being around 1925) that recorded them.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2008, 09:02:34 PM »

The piano 4 hands version I have is performed by Frank Milne and Ernest Leith.

Ah.  OK.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2008, 09:03:11 PM »

My version is on Biograph.

BTW, Jose, what does it mean when the notes refer to musicians "inscribing" the piano rolls? Does it mean notating what was recorded?

Inscribing is... Oh... What DR Noel said.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »

However, "transcribing" is notating what was recorded.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2008, 09:06:15 PM »

I actually didn't mind the "happy" ending of the theme park version that used to run down at MGM-Studios.  In fact, even though they closed it a few years ago, it's still my favorite of the Disney theme park shows.  It was a great mix of live actors and some puppetry.  And, of course, the music.  "Out There" still gives me goosebumps.

I also ended up playing the auditions for the first cast for that show.  It was quite the experience teaching the potential Clopins "The Bells of Notre Dame" since it ended on a high-D(!!!).  Even on the soundtrack for the movie, Alan Menken ended up singing the ending notes since the original singer thought they were too high, and that he would hurt his voice.  So, of course, trying to "convince" young actors that they had to sing a high-D for their audition... Well... It was actually kind of thrilling.  -When they would hit it. ;)

Cool! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2008, 09:07:40 PM »

I'm now leaving work to go home and watch some TV.

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2008, 09:09:15 PM »

Good god. I am not going to be able to sleep tonight, and NY is looking less attractive!

No wonder hotels are so expensive there. You pay a fee for yourself and separately for every bug staying there with you

Edisaurus

« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »

Well, the Amy Linton touch is not in full swing on LITTLE PEOPLE, BIG WORLD. It has taken me at least 3 days to transfer media which would have only taken 3 hours to load.

I was working with what the second editor ended up with; a cut they "sort of liked", but they couldn't tell me what they didn't like about it. I have determined that it wasn't the other editors' fault---there is just nothing to work with.

The show is well shot and the composer is Joey Newman, (Lionel's grandson) and the music is lovely but almost wall-to-wall.

On the plus side, they liked the TRADING SPACES tape so much that they are going to put it on air, even at 2 minutes, and license the songs I used. As many sales tapes as I have done, that's the first time this has happened that I know of. So, good for that, but the rest of the day was so technically frustrating that I almost started crying. Why do there have to be so many tape formats/codecs/audio formats?? Argh!!!

I MISS SPROCKET HOLES!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:12:53 PM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »

No wonder hotels are so expensive there. You pay a fee for yourself and separately for every bug staying there with you

Maybe it's the fee to keep the bed bugs away?

Cillaliz

« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »

Miss Sproket Holes....  what a great name

Cillaliz

« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »

I read that Rent is closing after its June 1 performance. Is this old news or new news?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »

I read that Rent is closing after its June 1 performance. Is this old news or new news?

Well, if it's true, it's new news.  Alas, I think it's just a "strong rumor", and one's that been floating around for the past year or so.

Unfortunately, I wish it were true.  The show that is currently at the Nederlander is most definitely not what Rent started out to be, and what should have been "protected".
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »

FJL

« Reply #351 on: January 15, 2008, 09:26:17 PM »

There is actually a two-tier due date for NAMT applications, depending on what category a show falls into:

February 8, 2008 - Non-NAMT Member Professional Theatre Organizations and Literary Agencies (include the $50 registration fee)

February 22, 2008 - NAMT Members and Alumni Festival Writers (no registration fee required)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #352 on: January 15, 2008, 09:30:39 PM »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:31:04 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »

And it just came up on Playbill http://www.playbill.com/news/article/114290.html

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »

So, I guess that all the "Rent Closing?" threads on the chat boards should be in full force by now.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #355 on: January 15, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »

Now I'm wondering if they will go ahead and buy out the contracts of the current Roger and Mark.  It's been sort of an open secret that Michael Greif and some other people involved with the production are not happy with the current leads.  -I didn't like them at all.  It would be nice for the show to close with a Good Cast.  -Hmm...  Maybe Adam and Anthony will come back again?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #356 on: January 15, 2008, 09:37:48 PM »

So, I guess that all the "Rent Closing?" threads on the chat boards should be in full force by now.  ;)

Yup, looks like it ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #357 on: January 15, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »

Now I'm wondering if they will go ahead and buy out the contracts of the current Roger and Mark.  It's been sort of an open secret that Michael Greif and some other people involved with the production are not happy with the current leads.  -I didn't like them at all.  It would be nice for the show to close with a Good Cast.  -Hmm...  Maybe Adam and Anthony will come back again?  ;)

That was mentioned on one of the chat boards and what appeared to be a young female said something like  "Yuck! aren't they almost 40?"   That cracked me up

FJL

« Reply #358 on: January 15, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »

My favorite quote of 1996 was:  "Could you explain it to me one more time - why shouldn't they have to pay rent?"

FJL

« Reply #359 on: January 15, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »

Ain't nothin goin' on but the RENT
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up