Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WILD, WILD WEEKEND  (Read 30260 times)

Tomovoz

Re:WILD, WILD WEEKEND
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2003, 12:59:04 PM »

Ron: I refuse to post for the sake of posting just to try and keep up with you. Whoops! I guess I did just that! Back much later. I have a day out there waiting to be enjoyed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2003, 12:59:43 PM »

I think you guys are cutting Frank's talent short, both in the acting and the singing.  A wardrobe test is just that - a test.  No guarantee what you saw would have been the end result.  In terms of typecasting, he is probably closer to Billy than Gordon was.  I suspect ultimately his range as an actor was greater than Gordon's as well.  Mind you, I'm not taking a position of one being better or worse.  But I think to dismiss Sinatra in the role as "horrible" is naive and short-sighted.  He could have brought values to it that Gordon couldn't.

Jennifer

« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2003, 01:02:47 PM »

Maya wrote:
Jennifer--hmmm....I really like Giblet, but can I also recommend the name Cammy, being short for karma chameleon?

Hmmmm, how is cammy short for karma chameleon? :)

Jrand wrote:
In addition to Treble Clef - which Jennifer must not like, how about KarMutt?

I'm sorry, I didn't say I didn't like Treble Clef. I like it. I like all the choices so far. KarMutt ... ha ha ha that one makes me laugh. Btw, it sort of looks like a boy to me? (does anyone else think that?)

Okay I just did something interesting. I used quick-reply and copied all the things i wanted to quote. Then I modified it and added the quotes later.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 01:04:14 PM by Jennifer »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2003, 01:04:30 PM »

Another desperate cry for good vibes from a college student...
Oddly enough, I actually feel worse today than i did yesterday.  I still haven't eaten anything, every muscle and joint feels like it was beat up, and my mind is in a constant state of fuzziness.  Nonetheless I am at work, watching the baby pour goldfish crackers all over the room, then dancing on them, digging out the vaccum cleaner, discovering the bag is full, not finding any more bags, meanwhile baby has succeeded in turning every tub of toys upside down and mixing them in with the cracker crumbs on the floor.  I'm also trying to study for this test and slowly realizing that in this weakened condition I have almost no chance of getting all this information in my head before 9 am tomorrow morning.  I have a jazz choir dress rehearsal that i might not make it out of work in time to be at, and a opera rehearsal double booked at the same time, and i have no idea which one I'm supposed to go to go to...
I feel like crying...
good vibes please....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2003, 01:06:25 PM »

Ahhh, that explains it Ron, but I am afraid I wasn't the guilty party that asked the question.  You see, I knew what you meant by Bru Bru.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2003, 01:07:15 PM »

Crooners:  Perry Como, Andy Williams, Rosmary Cloony, Jack Jones, Dean Martin, Vic Damone,  Gordon MacRae,  Sammy Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Bobby Darren, Dinah Shore, Judy Garland, Frankie Laine, Nat King Cole, Johnny Matthis.  Barbara Streisand.  Does Linda Ronstat count as a crooner?

I must stop now and pick Echo up from now from the her bath.  She will be very pretty and smell nice tomorrow for my book group friends.

Jennifer

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2003, 01:07:16 PM »

DR Emily: I tried to give you karma but I wasn't allowed. I guess I must have already given you karma within the last 72 hours. Good luck on your paper. Someone give the girl karma for me please!

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2003, 01:07:37 PM »

Good vibes indeed Ann.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2003, 01:09:27 PM »

Seaclif is dear reader Phil.

I have learned that two of our dear readers who access the site via their work computers have been blocked because their firewall detects "adult" content here at haineshisway.com.  Well.  There could be several reasons for this, but the most likely of them is that when we changed servers we were assigned an IP that had formerly belonged to an "adult" site.  Someone started a thread about this over at broadwayworld, and of course our very close personal friend, findingnamo, couldn't help but offer his two cents.  Michael, aka findingnamo, is a funster - I do enjoy him actually.

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2003, 01:09:43 PM »

Yes good vibes to DR Ann. Little Bru-bru/Cammy/Kim-lette/Treble Clef/KarMutt (sorry if i forgot any) wishes you good karma!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2003, 01:10:25 PM »

Ann good vibes and I sent you some more Karma your way.

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2003, 01:11:49 PM »

Speaking of adult content, check out the bottom portion of the love section on clicksmilies.com.  Blush.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2003, 01:12:43 PM »

Ahhh, that explains it Ron, but I am afraid I wasn't the guilty party that asked the question.  You see, I knew what you meant by Bru Bru.

Well, dang it!  It was MAYA who asked.  In a post just below one of yours.

So sorry!

Geez....another senior moment!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2003, 01:15:08 PM »

And speaking of senior moments....

I've totally lost track of what it is folks are trying to name?

Is it that little celebratory smilie thingie from yesterday?

If so, just name him "party dude"!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2003, 01:15:17 PM »

Ann:  Good vibes indeed.  I wasn't here yesterday to hear about your illness.  I am so sorry.  Be very careful, there is a bad bug (I won't call it flu) going around Tacoma right now.  I got it last week, and I thought that I was, at best, having a heart attack.

Danise:  Are you feeling any better?  Sorry to hear that you haven't been well.

And Happy Birthday to, not one, but two, Kimlet mothers (glad I checked my spelling, I first wrote mothras).
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2003, 01:16:44 PM »

Tom from Oz:  I am totally in DENIAL!

If I were in Egypt, I'd be all wet and covered with mud and lotus leaves.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 01:17:12 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2003, 01:22:54 PM »

Good God!   Tom from Oz and I both wrote, Good vibes indeed to Ann.  I am afraid we have become Ray Milland and Rosey Grier!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 01:34:47 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2003, 01:27:15 PM »

WARNING!

My previous post will probably only be understood by those forty years of age or older.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2003, 01:52:10 PM »

What is it, a lull?  Are we lull and void.  Can we a void the lull?  Time for a volley, if you ask me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2003, 02:16:11 PM »

It's a HUGE LULL....post-lunch lullabying, I suppose.

I could use a nap.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2003, 02:16:52 PM »

Matthew Bourne - I especially like The Car Man, not sure what to think about an Edward Scissorhands ballet.

I had heard of The Car Man and wanted to watch it because I like Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake as well.  I looked in my local library's on-line catalog and they only had the title, "Carman the Champion."  Fortunately there was also a synopsis of the title and it's not the same thing!
Former champion boxer Orlando Leone (Carman) is "the preacher" at an inner city youth center. Wanting to give something back to the community, he bought a large building for a church youth center. When funds run low, he takes on one last fight, but when he enters the ring, he's not alone. He has faith on his side.
If anyone's interested, it's rated PG-13.  Not my kind of movie.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2003, 02:24:01 PM »

Happy Birthday, Andrea's Mother!

Good vibes to Ann.............  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to DR Seaclf

Hmmmmmmmm DR George, I think I taped CarMan!  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2003, 02:49:16 PM »

I enjoyed Bourne's Carman , but thought his Swan Lake was superior and absolutely brilliant.  I saw Swan Lake both live and on the PBS telecast, and to my mind, I do not think it made the transfer to the small screen very successfully.  (I tend to have that opinion about most dance performances that are shown on TV.)  I also saw Bourne's Cinderella, but was somewhat disappointed by it.  There were some rumors a while ago that his Nutcracker would make its way to the United States from the U.K., but, alas, I've heard nothing more.  Perhaps next year.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2003, 02:53:35 PM »

Well, Charles, we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think you're giving Sinatra too much credit as a singer and actor. A wardrobe test may be just a test, but it does pretty much show us what he would have looked like, and his slight physical presence for me would have not been compensated for by his pugnacious attitude. In fact, it would have compounded the problem.

The very fact that he quit the production with no notice when he learned each scene was going to have to be filmed twice, once for Cinemascope 55 and once in standard format  35MM Cinemascope, makes me even more delighted he wasn't used. (The producers had a weekend to contact Gordon MacRae and get him to New England so that shooting wouldn't fall behind schedule.) Turned out, before filming started, Fox technicians figured out a way to preclude having to film and print each scene twice thus making Sinatra's temper tantrum look even more ridiculous.

As I said in an earlier post, I am not a fan of Sinatra's.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2003, 02:59:03 PM »

I've seen CARMAN THE CHAMPION. It's as predictable as that synopsis would lead you to believe it was. The movie was financed by a fundamentalist Christian group (Trinity Broadcasting Network), the same group that produced the forgettable THE OMEGA CODE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2003, 03:04:58 PM »

Happy birthday to all Kimlet mothers whose daughters peruse this here board!

Ben

« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2003, 03:06:26 PM »

DR Jennifer, we are now equal, at 6:04pm on Monday, November 10, 2003. We each have 216 posts. How will it end? You'll probably win. You're younger, you have more stamina. You ask more questions. You caught up to me. We'll see in a few days.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2003, 03:09:55 PM »

Hmmm...."Kimlets"...and "Daughters of Kimlets"....and next year, "Sons of Kimlets"....

Are these going to be Hammer Films productions?

Danise

« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2003, 03:15:21 PM »

So many people under the weather,-- Jennifer, BK, Ann --for one reason or the other. ::hugs:: to everyone under the weather!  Feel better!   :)

Happy B-day to your Dear Mother as well, Andrea!  May she have many, many more!

Good Vibes, Ann!

Thank you, TCB.  I'm getting there.  I don't exactly feel like dancing around the room but I'm here.

Someone started a thread about this over at broadwayworld, and of course our very close personal friend, findingnamo, couldn't help but offer his two cents.  Michael, aka findingnamo, is a funster - I do enjoy him actually.

Michael  is a nice name.  Works for me.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Andrea

« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2003, 03:17:43 PM »

GL DR Emily.. however your stress proves why you should't read novels all the time.

I believe my mother had a happy birthday. She didn't cook dinner or do the dishes, left for her romanian class and liked her gift (which was an hour make-up application and lesson the day of the St. Andrew's Ball).

I'm off to my dance practice and to be tortured by my debutantes. We rented CYGOPP's tux today. Rather, he stood there, got measured, paid for it and I told the sales girl what I wanted (single-breasted, slightly satin lapels (but not over the top) smoking jacket, with a wing-tip collar, windsor tie and vest-- all black. I've even offer to shine his shoes!). Hopefully the pictures will be nice.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up