Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WILD, WILD WEEKEND  (Read 29486 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WILD, WILD WEEKEND
« on: November 09, 2003, 11:06:44 PM »

Now that you've read the handy-dandy notes, it's time to post until the cows come home, and believe me I will need lots of reading matter for my mental delectation, so go to it, you dear, dear people.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 11:55:06 PM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:WILD, WILD WEEKEND
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 11:17:13 PM »

Coincidences: I bought two Vic Damone's Cds today. He is one of my favourites but I was not really familiar with his "Mercury Years" which I found  for under $10 today. I guess Nat King Cole will always be my favourite as will the superb Peggy Lee. For those who know or want to search, Vince Jones is also a favourite and sells well in OZ.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 11:18:02 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 11:58:46 PM »

I got back from ushering the Warren Miller film (after a bit of shopping) at about 11:00 pm.  The chat room was closed, of course, but before I had time to read all of Sunday's posts, the day was closed by Bruce.  So, I'm posting now.

The movie was quite intense and very visually stimulating.  The fact that people actually went to the tops of these mountains just to ski down them AND IT WAS ALL FILMED...well, that was incredible.  They even had a couple of people who were helicoptered (is that a real word?) 1000 feet ABOVE a mountain top, they then JUMPED OUT OF THE HELICOPTER with webbed wings between their arms and legs so that they glided down the mountain, then they landed with parachutes.  Wow!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 12:02:18 AM »

A very brief note -- bed is calling and I'm half asleep as it is.

Just finished watching the restored "Lost Horizon" and it was amazing.  I've truly NEVER seen the film as complete before.

Wonderful movie movie!  It's reason enough to invent a time machine,  and to go back and create a digital copy from the camera negative -- for posterity.  That and several hundred other films, of course.!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 12:10:38 AM »

Oh, and Noel, is the answer to your question from yesterday, A Connecticut Yankee?  :D
Do I win something?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 12:25:27 AM »

What's this, closing yesterday's notes already?!?!

Sorry I've been errant and truant as of late. I've gotten myself hooked on a computer game and quite literally have had to tear myself from the keyboard just to eat and sleep and little more. I apologize.

Before I go any further: HAPPY SECOND ANNIVERSARY TO HAINES HIS WAY!!!

There...now that that is out of my system, I suppose I'll share my favorite HHW.com memories/moments: I think my biggest thrill to come out of HHW.com was being involved in the recording of JEEPERS CREEPERS. I invited myself to sit in on the recording, wanting to shadow BK for a day to find out what a producer does and how he does it, and I ended up getting to sing/speak on the CD! What a treat that was. Who knows...maybe BK will produce my first solo album once I hit big...? I'm also glad to have found this site because through it I have met some of the most kind and caring people on the planet. You have all been with me through some very interesting times in my life--the DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES adventures, the job searches, countless auditions, celebrity sightings, panic attacks, and the Great Mouse Saga--and your support has been the most wonderful thing anyone could ask for. I've met some of you in real life, received packages from others who I have not met, torn through the KRITZER books (both of them) in less than a week, increased my CD collection, had several laughs and a few really great meals and learned a few things along the way, too. It's the people that make this place special.

Anywho...it's really late and I have to work tomorrow/today. Isn't it a holiday? Why is MTI going to be open? Maybe they'll close early. I sure hope so...not that it matters...I have to work at the Met. LA JUIVE. Oy vey.

Emily: When can I get on the Hunks of Broadway list?

DR MusicGuy: I'm still here! Don't cry for me, Argentina...the truth is I'll never leave you. :) (Wow...two musical theatre references in one paragraph...it's a sickness.)

DR Noel: DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES' plot revolved around waiting for a total eclipse--both of the moon AND of the heart--but I've a feeling you're not talking about DOTV.

Oh...one final thing. I didn't get to see WONDERFUL TOWN this weekend as planned. Ms. Donna Murphy is apparently quite ill and cancelled all performances since Thursday night. I do hope she gets well soon and I thank her, as an audience member, for taking the time right off the bat to get well rather than giving a run of mediocre to bad performances. Perhaps another Broadway diva (who shall, for the moment, remain nameless) should follow Ms. Murphy's example next time...

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 01:31:42 AM »

Who are your favorite classic crooners from the classic crooner era, both male and female?

Sinatra but when he was a band singer. Absolutely amazing and so different in style once he made it big.

Streisand. I will also have to agree with the 60's Streisand cannot matche any of her recordings from the 70's onwards although she had her moments.

Others include Mel Torme, Rosemary Clooney, Judy Garland, Margret Whiting and Mr. Tony Bennett who is still chugging along there.

Not sure if Julie Andrews counts but the few solo albums she made in the late 50's early 60's are amazing. A reminder how beautiful and clear her voice was then. Also Barbar Cook then and now, but again not sure if she counts as a crooner,

Then there are so many contemporsary cabaret/saloon singers that I enjoy but not sure if they fall ion the exact definition of a crooner.

The then one crooner that never did anything for me was Bing Crosby, His voice bothers me. The early years at least, I know I can stomach him from the 50's onwards. The "True Love" era.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 01:36:34 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 01:33:02 AM »

BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If I had to just chose one crooner this is who it would be

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 02:52:23 AM »

LOL DR MDS....what a lovely photo, taken at the Sands, no doubt!

Yes the chat was lively and informative.  I left to keep watch on a couple of EBAY items, but I lost them both anyway.   BUT he who won them had to pay and pay and pay a HIGH price!  ;D

Favorite crooners....many of which have been mentioned, but I will also add:

Al Martino and Johnny Mathis  :D
Polly Bergen and Giselle MacKenzie and yes, Gale Storm  8)

Monday  :(
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2003, 04:00:14 AM »

And here is your Allison Hayes picture of the Day!  From the 1956 Roger Corman western Gunslinger.

Allison is Erica Page owner of the Red Dog Saloon, who hires killer Cain Miro (John Ireland) to kill the sheriff - a woman named Rose (Beverly Garland).  Things don't turn out quite the way Erica planned.  Or the way Allison and Corman planned either,  Allison fell off her horse and broke her arm when Garland fired a stray shot.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2003, 04:33:34 AM »

So many mentioned already, like Frank (I've said before that I like early Frank before he became so obnoxious and mean), and early Barbra. Tony Bennet is wonderful. George Clooney's aunt, Miss Rosemary and the amazing Judy Garland. I also love Billy Eckstine and Sarah Vaughn (she's a hot jazz singer but I think she can croon with the best of them).

Had a great time in Chat last night. Now it's off to work. Later, gaters.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2003, 04:38:07 AM »

Perry Como, as Mr BK mentioned, is a favorite.  His television show was very entertaining.  And I remember a couple of novelty songs he sang that had a lot of 45 rpm play from me:  Glendora and The Railroad Runs Through the Middle of the House.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2003, 06:11:14 AM »

The term "crooner" is very limited and I think of Bing, Perry and Frank using that term.  However from the examples given I think what you are looking for are "classic pop" singers and for that it's JUDY GARLAND all the way.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2003, 06:27:52 AM »

Jason - You aren't on the list because you are in a higher category of hunkiness.  

What 'puter game are you playing that's so addictive?  I want a burnt copy! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jason

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2003, 06:41:49 AM »

I'm not feeling well today. I think I ate something that isn't setting well. In fact, I KNOW I ate something that isn't setting well...I just don't know what it was. I called in, but then was reminded that we have a lot of work to do today, so stupid me said I'd come in anyway. I'll take some Immodium and see what happens. If it hasn't started to work within the hour, I'll call them again and tell them I'm not going (oh! A DREAMGIRLS reference).

Emily: Nice save on the Hunk List question, though having seen and/or met most of the guys on that list in person, I have to question your sincerity (and your sanity) when you say that I'm a higher category. ;)

The game is called ZOO TYCOON, which I already had, but I got the expansion pack on Friday and that was all she wrote for the rest of the weekend. Here's the gist of it:

You start out with an empty lot--be it grassy, rocky, snowy or whatever--and you literally build a zoo of your own design. You have to design the zoo in such a fashion that you keep your guests and animals happy and safe (it sometimes makes me laugh to tear down a section of an exhibit fence to let one of the lions out--they tend to eat people). You get to decide where the bathrooms go, how many wildebeest to put into one exhibit, or how often the dolphins perform their show. It's quite addictive. I don't know if you're familiar with Rollercoaster Tycoon, but it's basically the same idea. The expansion pack includes Marine Mania, which allows you to build marine exhibits, including the dolphin show, orca, great white shark, sea lion and otter shows, and all sorts of cool swimming-things exhibits, as well as Dinosaur Digs, which basically allows you to build a Jurassic Park in the middle of your very own zoo. I haven't done much with the Dino bit yet as I'm still figuring out how to use Marine Mania to it's best advantage, but I'll get there. Unfortunately, it's a Microsoft program, which means there's no copying or burning. Sorry. :-\

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2003, 07:08:27 AM »

Good Morning All.  I did not get to post yesterday, but I WAS at the chat for a bit.  How could I not be on such a special occasion?!?!?!?!?!?!

Crooners,huh?

Well, Buddy Clark was great.   It's a shame he died as early as he did.  

Dick Haymes was great (despite being a bastard in real life-- but such a voice)

Frank Sinatra before 1960 was great (and occasionally after 1960)

Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day, Peggy Lee, Jeri Southern, Polly Bergen, Ella Fitzgerald are all favorite singers (although I don't think of them as "crooners" per se) but they're my fab faves.
I like boat races.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2003, 07:27:47 AM »

Good morning,  everyone. My, what an exciting party yesterday! I'm sorry I couldn't be at the chat. Now I remember why I prefer unemployment!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2003, 07:44:39 AM »

I was a bit "hazy" as to the definition of "crooner" as well - I have only thought of Bing as a "crooner" - but I added those other names as well.

DR George - your description was frightening.   Why do people do it?  And why do other people take pictures of them doing it?  And why do we look at the pictures? Yikes!

DR Ron - yes the Lost Horizon DVD is wonderful.  I love the music, and the extras.  Isabel Jewell was very good.  I like when she says: "Ya better take some those men, they might faint on ya!"  And the look Thomas Mitchell gives her after she says it!  And Margo is good as well....."I hate the High Llama!"

I am working on a tape for you DR Ron.  Email me your snail mail so I can send it to you.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2003, 07:59:33 AM »

With all due respect to the ladies of HHW, I think you missed one of Broadway's most glorious hunks, and one I'd choose over several of the ones named (though they are ALL worthy candidates): Brian d'Arcy James.

DR George: I got Noel's trivia question during the chat, but I'm not sure he remembers. There was A LOT going on in there! It was, as you said, A CONNECTICUT YANKEE.

I really am not a fan of Frank Sinatra. I was reading the ZORBA/70 GIRLS 70 chapter of the Kander/Ebb book COLORED LIGHTS last night, and they were not a fan of his interpretive singing either. They were grateful that his "New York, New York" was a big hit and put money in their pockets, but they didn't care for his singing of the melody and especially of his lyric revisions. I've always had problems with his too-improvisational way with songs. I've always thought singers like Garland, Clooney, Como, and Damone were more respectful of both words and music.

Here's also another vote for the Barbra Streisand of the 1960s. Loved all her recorded work then. I find much of it now uninteresting, over processed, and lacking flavor.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2003, 08:16:41 AM »

Favourite Crooners...crooner according to Bk'S definition...would be:

Johnny Hartman, Vic Damone, Buddy Clark, young...pre-scooby-scooby-do, Vegased-up...Sinatra, Helen Merrill (though some of her stuff gets a little too jazzy for me), Jeri Southern, Rosemary Clooney, Herb Jeffries, Al Hibbler, Dick Haymes, Leslie Hutchinson.  Would Brook Benton qualify as a crooner?

Jason

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 08:22:32 AM »

One has to wonder...how is our very own BK feeling this morning? I hope he's doing well.

Obviously, I called in. I probably could've dragged myself in, but since I have to be at the Met from 7-12:30, I thought it best that I not be away from "home" for thirteen hours...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2003, 08:53:03 AM »

MattH.:  I second the motion for Brian d'Arcy James.  He is indeed a hunk and an incredible talent.

Jason:  I hope you are feeling better.  I think I saw your name on the Buck's County Hunks list.  And, Jason, speaking of hunks, what happened to your friend from Buck’s County that posted here for awhile.  Where is he now?

Crooners:

Sinatra, of course; but I would include Steve Lawrence, Vic Damone, and Jerry Vale.

Judy Garland, Peggy Lee, and, personal choice only, any Barbra Streisand.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2003, 08:54:04 AM »

Good morning all on this Happy Happy Biirthday.  

M is for the Million things she gave me
O means that she's only growing old
T is for the tears she shed to save me
H is for her heart of purest gold.
E is for her eyes of love lights shining
R means "Right" and right she'll always be

Put them all together they spell:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Mother![/move]

The word that means the world to me!

Happy Birthday, Mom!
  :)

Sorry I wasn't at the chat for very long.  I was afraid I was going to have another attack so I just sat back and read for the most part.

Favorite crooners?  Bing, Dean, Rosemary Clooney to name a few.

Have a good day all!  I'm either taking Mom out to dinner or cooking a special one.  Which ever she wants.

D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 08:54:43 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2003, 08:58:40 AM »

Andy Williams is another crooner who is often forgotten. In fact, I think I prefer his Christmas album to almost anyone else's.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2003, 09:01:02 AM »

Jason - I guess I'll just have to dream about the day I do get to meet all those wonderful wonderful singing men! :)

Re: Zoo Tycoon - I am a HUGE fan of simulation games like this (Sim City Classic - 3000, Sims, Railroad Tycoon etc.)  Have you ever played Tropico?  It is one of my absolute favorites.  You get your very own Tropical Island during the Cold War to manage as a dictator complete with secret police!  There are so many directions you can take the Island, from tourist mecca to communist satelite state and the music is sooo catchy (very tropical as one might imagine.)  I find the Rollecoaster and Zoo Tycoon games can be a little too easy once you "get" them but Tropico has so many changing factors that you can play over and over and over.  

Oh and Jason, never underestimate the power of good "no-cd" crack :)  That's how I have Tropico!  
(I'll burn you a copy if you want)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2003, 09:01:27 AM »

Does Lena Horne count as a crooner?  If so, I LOVE her! :)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2003, 09:02:15 AM »

All the names I'd have suggested have already been mentioned, save one:  Vaughn Monroe.  Now there was a croon you wanted to put your arms around and snuggle with.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2003, 09:22:09 AM »

Crooners:  Bing Crosby, Dick Haymes, Mel Torme, Perry Como

Jane Froman, Margaret Whiting, Dinah Shore.

Now about Barbra Streisand:  I love the 60s Barbra, but I am crazy about the 70s Barbra.  "Barbra Joan Streisand" is, for me, one of her finest accomplishments.

I, too, love Andy Williams.  John Davidson and Jack Jones were great, too.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2003, 09:23:21 AM »

Oh!

Did I forget to mention Frank Sinatra?

Yes, and no.  I forgot all about him, but I didn't intend to mention him, either.

Never has been a favorite...or even a marginal like...for me.

Dunno why.  

He's also never bothered me, either.  I can be around folks who love him and play him and that's fine.  But I never seem to get involved...except when I listen to him singing "New York, New York" and I know how much better it can be sung.

I did like his version of "Bein' Green" -- it was very touching.

Never took to catch phrases like "Ring-a-ding-ding-ding" -- way too smarmy for me, even as a teen.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 09:26:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2003, 09:35:13 AM »

Crooners to me are the classic singers of old who did standards (even if they were "newly" written standards), the people who just sang songs and sang them well.  Dorothy Collins would be on my list, along with Ethel Ennis, Carmen McCrae, Andy Williams, Dean Martin and the ones I've already mentioned.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up