Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WILD, WILD WEEKEND  (Read 30205 times)

Emily

Re:WILD, WILD WEEKEND
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2003, 03:46:26 PM »

I came home because the Arab-Israeli Conflict combined with a really dismal empty AUS Lounge were freaking me out.

As I was crossing the lawn to go inside and dreading attacking the paper once again I was accosted by a swarm of Sparks which is the younger branch of the Girl Guides/Brownies organization.  There were something like 15 six year olds jumping up and down and screaming "cookies!  four dollars!  four bucks!  cookies!  cookies!  four bucks!"

I now have two boxes of GG cookies, a slightly lighter wallet (it's for a good cause!) and my life is looking better.  Isn't it amazing what sugar can do when you are in the depths of despair?

Maybe we should send a pack of cookie-selling-six year olds to Palestine/Israel :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2003, 03:47:40 PM »

And I don't read NOVELS all the time DR Andrea.

Somtimes I just sit and sip coffee ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Danise

« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2003, 03:52:11 PM »

I almost forgot, Jennifer wants a recipe.  Well how about what I made my Mom for her Birthday dinner?  This is very good on a cold or rainy night (which unfortunately we are having here).

Chicken Coq Au Vin
Serves 4

8 slices bacon, cut into ½ inch Pieces
4 (2 lbs) whole boneless Chicken Breasts, skinned, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
2 cups (8 ounces) whole fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup red wine
8 small new red potatoes, cut in half
8 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 medium onions, quartered
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  In Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium high heat 5 minutes.  Add chicken and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until chicken is browned (8 to 10 minutes).  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together flour, chicken broth and wine.  Add to browned chicken mixture.  Stir in all remaining ingredients.  Cover, bake for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are fork tender.

I’ve made a few changes–I cook the bacon, chicken & garlic in a fry pan.  I only use ½ teaspoon of pepper, 4 slices of bacon and maybe 2 chicken breasts  and I put everything in a crock pot.

It’s very good and warms you up from the inside out.  The pepper and the wine, I think.  Notice there isn’t any salt.  I think the bacon takes care of that.

BTW--you can use any kind of red wine.  I've tried several differnt kinds and it makes no difference.  It still tastes good.

Serve with rolls or fresh bread and butter.

Enjoy!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2003, 03:55:33 PM »

DR RonP wrote:
And speaking of senior moments....

I've totally lost track of what it is folks are trying to name?

Is it that little celebratory smilie thingie from yesterday?

If so, just name him "party dude"!

We are trying to name the little karma guy:

Jennifer

« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2003, 03:56:55 PM »

DR Ben wrote:
DR Jennifer, we are now equal, at 6:04pm on Monday, November 10, 2003. We each have 216 posts. How will it end? You'll probably win. You're younger, you have more stamina. You ask more questions. You caught up to me. We'll see in a few days.

Yes we shall see.  But I am probably more obsessive than you :)

Jennifer

« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2003, 04:00:22 PM »

What on earth is this?

Some of these are just too funny. This one is not so nice. But it totally cracked me up.

Jennifer

« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2003, 04:02:40 PM »

Hey thanks for the recipe. I am thinking I will probably go with chicken. My absolute favorite dish in the whole world is General Taos.  But all the recipes I see, have you deep fry it, (or fry it in lots of oil).I found one recipe where you bake it. I may try this one.  Btw, is it bad to try out recipes on company? :)

Emily

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2003, 04:17:27 PM »

Hey thanks for the recipe. I am thinking I will probably go with chicken

er... Jennifer... Coq au Vin IS chicken :)

Danise

« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2003, 04:17:34 PM »

Your welcome, Jennifer.  One thing I will say about myself, I do know how to cook and what I cook is usually very good.  If you ever need a receipe, let me know.  I have lots of them!  ::Please note--that is a understatement::   ::)

There's a lady at work that loves to cook as well and we are always trading new tips and recipes.  Yum!

I don't think trying something new on guests is a bad thing.

Thanks, Ben for the good wishes for my Mom.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2003, 04:25:36 PM »

I'm going to try to get out of here by five, since my editor has enough stuff to do on his own - then I can just look at what he's done in the morning.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2003, 04:34:06 PM »

When I first learned that "cocoa van" was chicken prepared in wine I was very surprised!

But don't ask me how I thought a van could be made of cocoa!  I was just a wee sprig of a tad of a yout'!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2003, 04:37:38 PM »

If you want recipes, click here:

http://houseandhome.msn.com/food/recipes/RecipeCategories.aspx

and you can have recipes.  You can search by main ingredient, cuisine type, dietary type, type of preparation, special occasion or brand name recipes.  I found this site last year looking for low fat recipes.  Lots of good eatin' in them thar pages!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2003, 04:37:47 PM »

My sixth graders earned 5 class points this quarter, so the deal is, if a class earns 5 class points, I bake them a treat.  I made chocolate chip and skor pieces cookies.  They are yummy.  It takes a a lot to get 5 class points in a quarter, but this class was exceptionally good.  They sang well (100% at times) they paid attention and were almost all together with their notebooks.  Maybe I should change the class points to karma points, although I'm not sure they'd understand karma.  :)

George

« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2003, 04:44:24 PM »

Jennifer, I like those smilies/emoticons.   ;D I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but this is one of my favorites:

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2003, 04:46:42 PM »

Lookin' for some good cookin'?  You should watch/tape this man's Food Channel shows:

Tyler Florence does it all.  One of his shows is Food 9-1-1 where he teaches you how to do things no matter how lost you are in the kitchen.

He also has other shows on the channel.   I much prefer his cookin and kitchen training to that of Emeril La(GivesMe)Gasse.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2003, 04:53:01 PM »

Need a dessert?

Waldorf-Astoria Cheese Cake

Crust:

1 cup sifted enriched flour
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
½ cup butter
1 slightly beaten egg yolk
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Combine, flour, sugar and lemon peel.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Add egg yolk and vanilla.  Blend thoroughly.  Pat 1/3 of dough on bottom of 9-inch spring form pan with sides removed.  Bake 6 minutes at F 400 until golden.  Cool.  Butter sides of pan and attach to bottom.  Pat remaining dough evenly on sides.

Cheese Filling:

5 8-ounce packages cream cheese
¼ teaspoon vanilla
¾ teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 ¾ cups sugar
3 tablespoons enriched flour
¼ teaspoon salt
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
¼ cup heavy cream

Stir cheese to soften; beat until fluffy.  Add vanilla and lemon peel.  Mix sugar, flour and salt;  gradually blend into cheese.  Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.  Gently stir in cream.  Turn into crust-lined pan.  Bake 5 minutes at F 500.  Reduce oven heat to F 200 and bake 2 hours longer.

Cream Topping (optional):

1 pint fresh thick sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla
(Mix and pour on top of cake.  Bake 5 minutes longer at F 475).

Cool at least four hours in refrigerator before removing sides.  Cake can be topped with either fruit or toasted almonds, if desired.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 04:58:32 PM by Ron Pulliam »

George

« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2003, 04:58:03 PM »

Bruce, here are a few smilies that you (and others) might like:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 05:08:55 PM by George »

George

« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2003, 04:59:20 PM »

Here's a real cute one:

Danise

« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2003, 05:01:12 PM »

Wow, George!  That's a GREAT site!  I hope you don't mind that I e-mailed it to my friend at work.  She's gonna go ape when she sees that site!

I have to laugh at the Cheese Cake recipe--not because of the receipe itself--it sounds wonderful but guess what I just finished eating?  My Mom wanted a cheesecake instead the regular kind so that's what I made for her B-day.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jed

« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2003, 05:06:36 PM »

And here is your Allison Hayes picture of the Day!  From the 1956 Roger Corman western Gunslinger.

Allison is Erica Page owner of the Red Dog Saloon, who hires killer Cain Miro (John Ireland) to kill the sheriff - a woman named Rose (Beverly Garland).  Things don't turn out quite the way Erica planned.  Or the way Allison and Corman planned either,  Allison fell off her horse and broke her arm when Garland fired a stray shot.

I do believe this is the only Allison Hayes film I've seen... but it was the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version!  Ahh, how I do love a good MST3K.  ;D

"Mitchell... Mitchell... Eyes on the sammich... Mitchell!"
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2003, 05:09:39 PM »

Hello all.  I don't know from crooners but I grew up with my family listening to the likes of Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, and Barbra Streisand, so all of that reminds me of childhood and my grandfather's Oldsmobile with its 8 track player.

The quest to name the little party dude is amusing me because I haven't actually named my cat yet.  I keep calling her "cat" and better figure something out before it sticks.

I started my new job today.  Everyone is really nice, which was a relief because I had made myself nervous about it for no apparent reason.  I already have much work to do, which is no fun because it makes it harder to sneak in HHW readings during the day.  :(

Danise, your recipe is making me hungry!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jed

« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2003, 05:20:52 PM »

It's simple, LC.  Just name your cat "Dog."
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Danise

« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2003, 05:35:15 PM »

I like these:

LC,  It was very good.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2003, 05:35:20 PM »

LC, I have a friend who had a tiny little dog named Katherine.  They called their dog Kitty.  I've always wanted a cat named Berkeley (pronounced Barkly), like the song by The Manhattan Transfer (and others), "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2003, 05:39:56 PM »

Love the butt cheek smiley.  Maybe that's why we're an "adult" tagged site.  Also, someone pointed out that it might be because of the word Nudie.  Wouldn't that be a fine kettle of what is it, fish?

I'm home, ready to rest and hopefully continue to get well.

Now, why do I see only two browsers?  We must have more browsers because more browsers lead to more posters and we must have more posters hence we must have more browsers.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2003, 05:55:04 PM »

LOL, Jed and George!  You are not the first people to suggest canine names!  Maybe I will go call her "dog" and see if she responds.  I actually thought about naming her Kitiara, from a fantasy series I like, because then I could call her "kitty" for short.  My roommate wants to name her Kiara, after Simba's daughter in The Lion King, so we have a two-letter problem.  

There was one day I logged on here and all the ads at the top were for Hanes underwear.  Google's logic amused me.

What is it about the green ones?  
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Michael

« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2003, 05:56:31 PM »

Open question to all DR

After you 1st read BK's column for the day (and I know we all do that first) and we post our thoughts in the daily discussion forum (and I know we all do that second) I would like to know what you do when you want to post additional thoughts for the day.

1) Do you start off at BK column and click your way through or

2) Do you have a quick link to the daily discussion page?
Never stop dreaming.

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2003, 05:58:00 PM »

Are you kidding me?  How can you discuss the great crooners intelligently and neglect to mention . . . Al Bowlly?

(Sorry, I'm hard-pressed to think of crooners nobody's mentioned yet.)

Also, am I the only person here to suspect that between Martin and Lewis, it was Jerry Lewis who had the better vocal chops?  True, his role as the "monkey" rarely permitted him to demonstrate 'em . . .

And what kind of devotee would I be if I didn't remind you all once more of the song stylings of LEONARD NIMOY?

(Mwahahahahaaaa!!!)
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2003, 05:59:06 PM »

DR Jed - actually the MST3K massacre of Gunslinger was pretty funny, especially the  comments on the dancing girls!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2003, 06:02:47 PM »

I can't believe I just spent more than one minute watching this thing to see how it ended:

Thank you karma fairy!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up