Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CATCHER IN THE WRY  (Read 32439 times)

singdaw

Re:THE CATCHER IN THE WRY
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2008, 11:27:01 AM »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »

Great story from Best Friends

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2008, 11:43:13 AM »

I've written about classic British pantomime and the Harlequinade, I'm almost through my Act III notes and I'm about to leave for the movies with DR Jose.  We'r seeing the new Simon Pegg comedy, which I hope is even half as wonderful as HOT FUZZ.

I'm thnking about watching tonight either the 1997 or earlier BBC miniseries of MANSFIELD PARK. It's my leas favorite Austen novel but I am thinking about reading it again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »

Well, I need to look into some birthday presents for my niece, Alyssa, and I think I shall do some looking before - and after - this afternoon's movie outing with DR elmore.  So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »

I have to say the most magical place I went to as a child was Disneyland.  

Another magical place for me was the home of my father’s good friend Joe.  Joe and his wife, an Olympic diving champion (at least competitor, but I think she was a champion) lived in a mansion.  The house was large and beautiful, however it was the pool and yard that were magical.  Their pool was so large it even had steps to sit on in the deep end.  Of course they had a high diving board.  Behind the pool was a park, at least it seemed the size of a small park, with a double glider swing & gardens and a wooded area to play in.  

Joe was a one of kind, bigger than life person who liked to have major family parties with loads of food & fun.   On the 4th his fireworks were terrific.  There were always plenty of children to play with.  

It was his wife who spent hours & hours patiently teaching me to dive. Patience was required as she had much harm to undo after a guest decided to teach me how to dive from the high board.  I was fearless as he held me upside down and dropped me into the water.  The fear began after I belly flopped & had my breath knocked out of me.  I know I was unconscious my rescue.  My stomach hurt the rest of the day.

These were wonderful people and the magic all ended when Joe suddenly died of a heart attack.  The last time I went to the magical mansion was with my mother to make a condolence call.  

I often think of these wonderful generous people & wonder where their children are today.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »

I have to say the most magical place I went to as a child was Disneyland.  

Another magical place for me was the home of my father’s good friend Joe.  Joe and his wife, an Olympic diving champion (at least competitor, but I think she was a champion) lived in a mansion.  The house was large and beautiful, however it was the pool and yard that were magical.  Their pool was so large it even had steps to sit on in the deep end.  Of course they had a high diving board.  Behind the pool was a park, at least it seemed the size of a small park, with a double glider swing & gardens and a wooded area to play in.  

Joe was a one of kind, bigger than life person who liked to have major family parties with loads of food & fun.   On the 4th his fireworks were terrific.  There were always plenty of children to play with.  

It was his wife who spent hours & hours patiently teaching me to dive. Patience was required as she had much harm to undo after a guest decided to teach me how to dive from the high board.  I was fearless as he held me upside down and dropped me into the water.  The fear began after I belly flopped & had my breath knocked out of me.  I know I was unconscious my rescue.  My stomach hurt the rest of the day.

These were wonderful people and the magic all ended when Joe suddenly died of a heart attack.  The last time I went to the magical mansion was with my mother to make a condolence call.  

I often think of these wonderful generous people & wonder where their children are today.

What a lovely story, Jane.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

Here's an interesting approach to the culture wars!

I have always thought this to be the best approach, for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2008, 12:28:35 PM »

Spent the morning having breakfast with my buddy Jim, who just returned from his trip to Asia last night. We then hit a few estate sales...he bought some old sheet music and I bought two pairs of 1940s rayon men's pajamas.

Now it is time to dig into the yard work...it is so beautiful outside!!!!

singdaw

« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2008, 12:52:28 PM »

What a lovely story, Jane.

Indeed!

singdaw

« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »

Last night's edition of Theatre Talk on PBS featured a very interesting discussion with Harvey Fierstein talking about his adaptation of A Catered Affair, soon to open at the Walter Kerr theatre.

singdaw

« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:04:15 PM by singdaw »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »

I believe that in the 940's they were actually mail pajamas.  (No groaning, or Groening, allowed).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »

Apropos the tuna discussion earlier...

THIS starts off there, but then gets a little kooky...   :)

singdaw

« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »

I believe that in the 940's they were actually mail pajamas.  

:D

singdaw

« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »

You are just too quick, DR JMK...    ;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »

I also loved ARCHIE Comics when I was a kid.  Of course, they only cost a dime when I bought them.

So did I, and I also loved the DC comics (SUPERMAN and all the others featuring him and his pals, BATMAN, etc.)

I remember how stunned we were to go into the dime store one Saturday and there were the new month's editions only they were priced at 12 cents!

Then and there, I got my mother to help me to subscribe to all my favorites so I could get them at a reduced rate and delivered right to my door.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »

I've had a rich afternoon of viewing delights, helped by the fact we had more rain this afternoon which didn't make me feel guilty for spending the afternoon inside instead of outside.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2008, 01:16:02 PM »

I began by finshing up the two-part episode of THE CLOSER from the Season 2 set. Always loved that outcome and Brenda getting back in the murder room with her squad intact.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »

I went back and rewatched another CLOSER episode on the same disc, the one with the prisoner trying to get out of jail based on a kid's eyewitness account of the real murderer. Always loved this episode, too, especially when Estelle Pope comes charging into the murder room hurling invective at Brenda.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »

Next, I watched another MR. WONG film. The title of it escapes me, but it was the last one made by Karloff. The always wonderful Henry Brandon played a lawyer in the film, and I was also very pleased that I guessed the identity of the murderer in this one, too, though I had a partially wrong motive.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »

Next, I watched THE RED BALLOON. It's only 34 minutes long, but it's a completely charming, whimsical little French trifle. It's obviously packaged by Criterion, but they're not taking credit for it. It's released under the Janus Film label. Gorgeous Technicolor transfer in Academy ratio. Oddly, the trailer is in anamorphic widescreen showing that the film could have been soft matted and anamorphically enhanced for a widescreen DVD release. I'm not sure which I would have preferred. I suspect if it had been anamorphic, there wouldn't have been that slight bit of line twitter when the child would pass by certain wrought iron fences. Most of the line structures on steps, bricks, etc. are solid as can be.

Amazingly, this won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay of 1956 (over such weightier contenders as LA STRADA, THE BOLD AND THE BRAVE, and THE LADYKILLERS).

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »

I ended my afternoon watching BATMAN BEGINS upconverted in anticipation of the upcoming Blu-ray release of this film this summer. I really cannot wait to see this in true high definition. I've been tempted to get it on HD-DVD, but I'm holding off for the Blu-ray since allegedly there are to be additional special features combined with what was on the previous HD release.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »

All alone, I'm so all alone. . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

I've got to do a little writing now. I'll be back in a little while to sign off until late evening.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »

Tell me about it....I just got back from a Tuna run.

My mother gave me a welcome mat a few years ago. It says

If you ever want to see these people again, bring 5 pounds of tuna in a brown paper sack. Signed The cat

I never dreamed it would come true.  I have the mat in my garage and laugh every time I'm coming home from a tuna run

I must get that welcome mat!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »

Happy weekend. Vibes and well wishes to all who need them.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »

At long last I have pictures of the new cat condo. This is of Pierre and Killbot.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »

Here are Pierre and his visiting girlfriends, Lucy and Summer.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »

Thanks, Jane, I credit you and Science Diet for giving her these last three years of health.  If you hadn't sent that dry food to me,  I would never have caught on to the fact that she was literally starving to death on that Iam's Cat Food.

What?? :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »

Similar to Orchestrator/Coughlin?

Conductor/he of "Limited Talent and Limitless Ego"?? ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up