Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: CAUGHT UP IN THE VORTEX  (Read 40377 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:CAUGHT UP IN THE VORTEX
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2008, 08:32:57 PM »

Hmm, well I liked Beaches at the time, haven't seen it since it came out.  I adore Steel Magnolias.  My guess is you don't like Terms of Endearment either.  

I don't like any of these, but I don't really remember why!

I guess I don't like movies that blatanly tug at the tear ducts. But I do like movies that make me cry. I watched part of "Little Women" today (probably for the 4th time!) while I was making mp4's, even though it makes me cry!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »

I think the Senseo system has been out for a couple of years already.  I believe it came out around the same some of the other "individual pod" systems came out.  In any case...

I have a few friends who own a Senseo system, and they tend to stock up on the pods when they go on sale, as well as at Costco.  One of my friends tends to find good deals on the pods at Office Depot and/or Staples!

Yes, it's been out for awhile. I think the promotion is just a way to get new interest. It came with suggestions for having a Senseo party to demonstrate it for family and friends.   I really like it.  

Now that I think about it, I did see the pods at Staples.  

Edisaurus

« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »

I had a productive day...cleaning green slime off of the housem, and planting lots of plants. Now I've scurbbed the tub and cleaned the non-slip mat, which had mildew under it. Yuck. But these are hte kind of htings I like to get done when my DH is gone for the day.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »

Oh!  NBC is broadcasting the first episode of "Saturday Night Live" tonight as a tribute to George Carlin. I believe I shall stay up "late" tonight.

Thanks for the heads up, Jose, I would have missed it

Cillaliz

« Reply #364 on: June 28, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »

I love this routine. Football/Baseball

Edisaurus

« Reply #365 on: June 28, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »

Favorite Italian meals---there are 3 of them.

1. Rome, in the Jewish ghetto. We were participating in a big academic meeting about Sacco and Vanzetti. After a meeting where Peter spoke, we were taken out to dinner in an ancient building. It was our first meal in Italy, and we didn't understand the order of the courses, so we didn't know how to pace ourselves. This is where I discovered broccoli rabe. Yummm!

2. Another meal with the academics. The dinner guests included Giuliano Montaldo, who directed the S&V film in the '70's, and Fernanda Sacco, Sacco's niece. This was at a seafood restaurant that would have been very difficult if we weren't all following the leader as it was on a tiny back street. This really was one of the best meals I've ever had in my life. The theme was "Voyage from the bottom of the sea". It started out with things you'd find on the ocean floor; shellfish, and lettuces, and progressed through different seafoods as you rose to the surface, where you were then presented with dessert: lemon gelato which was symbolized an ice floe. I really can't do it justice. After the meal, people broke out guitars and sang old song; it really was like a Fellini movie.

3. We drove from Rome to Puglia, home of Sacco. We got there on a Sunday evening and met up with our translator. It was a very small town, and she took us to the best restaurant there. CLOSED! Then she remembered it was sunday night and most people eat dinner at home that night. We went to her second favorite restaurant: CLOSED. So we went to the only one that was open. The owner was in the process of closing because no one was there, but he graciously stayed open for us and brought out things he had on hand: a HUGE slab of peccorino, various prociuttos and salamis, olives, the best bread I think I've ever had with olive oil (this was an olive region) and freshly made bruschetta. We couldn't believe this wasn't her first choice---it was SO GOOD!

We also loved the little rest stops on the highway, where you could get delicious panini and espresso...cheap and delicious!

Edisaurus

« Reply #366 on: June 28, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

My name is cillaliz, I am addicted to HGTV

I think they are running the final episodes of our gardening show, but I haven't checked recently.

MBarnum

« Reply #367 on: June 28, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »

Yes, Jose, he usually calls me Nancy. I am never quite sure what that means.

MBarnum

« Reply #368 on: June 28, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »

I guess I am just not in the mood for a Bollywood movie tonight...but with all this talk of Perry Mason, I think I will watch some episodes since I have all the boxed sets that have so far been released.

Edisaurus

« Reply #369 on: June 28, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »

I agree completely on "Crash".  Just didn't get why people liked is so much.  Of course I think it was better than "Magnolia" which I really hated. But, I don't like much of anything Tom Cruise is in.  

I loved MAGNOLIA, especially the way the stories intersect and how it's all cut together. The scenes where everyone was singing the same Aimee Mann song bugged me the first time I saw it in the theatre, but I guess i've gotten used to it because if I run into it on TV I'll usually end up watching part of it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #370 on: June 28, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »

LOL Michael.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #371 on: June 28, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »

Well... I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to the end of SNL...  However, since I'm back in rehearsal tomorrow morning, well... Sleep would be a good thing... So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #372 on: June 28, 2008, 08:57:01 PM »

I even coped with Mr Cruise in Magnolia.  

IMHO - so much better than the "blatent" (thanks Edi) manipulation of "Crash".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Edisaurus

« Reply #373 on: June 28, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

Obviously the trustees of the George Foster Peabody Award thought so, too, as they gave it their highest award after its first season.

What do they know? It's awarded by my Journalism school here in GA!

(Glad to see they also honored Colbert!)

:)

Cillaliz

« Reply #374 on: June 28, 2008, 09:00:13 PM »

Wow, Billy Preston and Janis Ian  (not together).  I was 14 years old when SNL premiered. My friend Kris and I watched it every week. We'd order a pizza and watch SNL.  Memories...

Edisaurus

« Reply #375 on: June 28, 2008, 09:01:20 PM »

I planted a lot of plants. I'm too tired to spell check!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2008, 09:03:25 PM »

For all you musically curious geeks out there (and you know who you are), I'm about halfway through the more than fascinating HOWARD GOODALL'S BIG BANGS (NOT a euphemism), which details five of the most important discoveries in the history of music.  Even if you know some of this stuff, Goodall is delightful and always entertaining.  Plus, he wrote the Theme to Blackadder.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »

I personally loved about the first 2/3 of MAGNOLIA, if only for its incredible tracking shots and interweaving storylines.  It got a bit on the turgid side for the last 1/3, IMHO.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #378 on: June 28, 2008, 09:05:23 PM »

I thought the Peabody Awards were given on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »

I can't really remember if "Magnolia" wilted for me in its last third.  I didn't see it at the movies and it has been four years I think since I watched the DVD.

I would have liked "Babel" even more if the Japanese segment had been edited down somewhat.

"21 Grams" worked totally.
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »

I thought the Peabody Awards were given on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »

I'm going to venture down the 2 steps into our family room, with Richard's supervision, to partake in family pizza/movie night.  We have a family tradition of watching Independence Day on, well, Independence Day, but Rob will be in Michigan with his girlfriend for the holiday.  We're going to observe our tradition tonight.

Bye for now.

Our family tradition is to watch "Independence Day" one year and "1776" the next.  We've been switching off between these two movies for years. :) I don't remember which movie it'll be this year, but next Saturday, my dad's two sisters (my Aunt Mary Lou and Sister Cecilia...she's a nun) are visiting, so we may not see either.  Anyway, Mary Lou hasn't been up here in more than 20 years!  They'll be here for a couple of weeks, and my cousin John and his wife will be visiting from Oregon for a couple of days while the aunts are here.  It'll be the largest family gathering we've had since probably 1980!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »

Thank you DR Cillaliz.
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »

I can't really remember if "Magnolia" wilted for me in its last third.  I didn't see it at the movies and it has been four years I think since I watched the DVD.

I would have liked "Babel" even more if the Japanese segment had been edited down somewhat.

"21 Grams" worked totally.

By the time I went to see Magnolia, it had been hyped so much I was really  looking forward to it.  While it was playing and especially during the misogynistic sequences, a number of people walked out.  It wasn't anything like what I thought it would be and I really didn't like it.  Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:13:19 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #384 on: June 28, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »

Thank you DR Cillaliz.

I LOVED Squirrel and Moose.  I never missed that show either

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #385 on: June 28, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

George, about noon the doorbell rang.  At first, when I opened the door, I didn't see anyone there, but then I noticed Tony on the floor, next to the door.  Of course, I took him inside, and tonight I plan to totally enjoy him.  Thanks again, George!

You're welcome!  Let me know if there is any problem with the disc...and if any other recipients of the Tony Awards disc that I sent out have problems, let me know that, too.  There shouldn't be any trouble...other than me having to rewrite the number on the top, (1 of 1, instead of 1 of 3), but that's only cosmetic. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #386 on: June 28, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »

I wonder if I will watch "The Madness of King George" for Independence Day.
James Thurber 1957

JMK

« Reply #387 on: June 28, 2008, 09:15:18 PM »

Our family tradition is to watch "Independence Day" one year and "1776" the next.

That is so weird, because we discovered several years ago that if you watch Independence Day with the sound off whilst playing the OCR of 1776, it's one amazing synchronicity after another.   ;D

JMK

« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2008, 09:15:54 PM »

I wonder if I will watch "The Madness of King George" for Independence Day.

If you take your Dramamine first, you can watch the crazy-camera antics of that episode of "John Adams."

Tomovoz

« Reply #389 on: June 28, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »

I may just settle for listening to the complete recording of "Gypsy" with the wonderful and so controlled Patti.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up