Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OSMOSIS  (Read 23667 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OSMOSIS
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2008, 07:35:23 AM »

On TV tonight:

MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST (season finale)

BURN NOTICE

FLASHPOINT

Olympics
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:39:11 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2008, 07:38:39 AM »

Page Two Toto Dance!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 07:39:07 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day - at least the diet part....

Breakfast. Breakfast. Breakfast!

-I've made a very conscious effort to have breakfast each and and every day over the past couple of weeks, and, lo and behold, I've dropped eight pounds -without really trying.  Usually it's a bowl of oatmeal with some almonds or pecans, and a small splash of maple syrup.  It's all about regulating your metabolism and blood-sugar levels throughout the WHOLE day, not just when you want to.

Otherwise, my usual "filling food" is a homemade protein/fruit smoothie made with a few extra ice cubes in order to add more "bulk" to the shake - and to contribute to my water intake for the day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 07:40:39 AM »

bk - In regards to your last post last night...

What were people saying?  Were they saying that you did not need a shower?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 07:43:06 AM »

As for rillettes...  Well, I guess it does take a bit of time for one trend to travel from the East coast to the West coast.  Although, I've seen rillettes on French bistro menus for years - it's most definitely not a new food.  I guess people have just caught on to the whole mason jar presentation.

*And Bouchon Bakery in the Time-Warner Center sells small jars of their Duck Rillettes, along with the requisite baguettes and batards.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 07:43:31 AM »

OK - Time for me to be a good uncle...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »

Who's idea was an 8:30am breakfast date on a Thursday morning in the middle of the summer when I'm not really working?  Oy...

Last night's rehearsal was agony - and there is no pun there.  It's a lot to explain here, but it's taken us twice as long to learn this music than necessary.  (and we have a talented cast)  Our MD breaks down every note and word in the score.  Not to say that's a bad things, but it's the way that he does it that is frustrating to actors, so frustrating that they are finding it hard to learn the music and retain everything he throws at them.  

My frustration is spending WAY too much time at this point in the process of insisting the actors get the underscoring sections nailed now, with scripts in their hands while sitting in their chairs learning music.  That seems to me to be very un-realistic and a waste of everyone's time.  There is acting and blocking moments to be added in which take time in the underscore.    And we spent way too much time doing that last night IMHO.

I'm hoping for a better night this evening.  Whatever happens, it will be his fault and it won't be mine at all.  

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I took an hour of sick leave this morning to have a workover blood test.  Now I'm at work...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »

I have never dieted but found that regular weight training helped get me into very good shape...unfortunately, I have not pursued this activity in the last 6 years or so and it shows.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »

Favorite Kim Novak movie is STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET.

I also DVR'd FIVE AGAINST THE HOUSE. Any movie with both Guy Madison and Kerwin Mathews in it is a must see for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »

You know, Kerwin Mathews once invited me to come to his house for tea next time I was in San Francisco. I wish I would have done so.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 08:13:50 AM »

I have to go get cleaned up now for lunch out later with friends.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm still feeling puny, which I do not like, and when the phone rang at 10:30 I decided to get out if bed, although I doubt I will wander far from it today.

So, I have little on my agenda today; I can deal with some libretto fixes and look over some scores I have to write about, but that will be about it.

DR Ben, would it be all right if we moved the Mitchell Trio to a week from Friday? I've got to be feeling better by then!

DR MBarnum, I think your diet suffers from a severe need for saltpeter.

I forgot the TOD:
  Bell Book and Candle, although I think Miss Novak sucks and the rest of the cast is wonderful
  Moll Flanders, which I haven't seen sicne it was released
  Picnic
  Vertigo
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:18:13 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 08:19:26 AM »

I adore Kim Novak and have appreciated her distanc and disdain from Hollywood.  The fact that she is gorgeous and yet Harry Cohn always called her "that fat Pollack" (at least she had the satisfaction of attending his funeral) appeals to me. I also wrote to her on her birthday for years starting when I was about 8.  She always wrote back.  Time to do it again, I think.

Favorites:

VERTIGO
STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET
PICNIC
3rd GIRL FROM THE LEFT
BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE

I also love "Notorious Landlady"
and "Boys' Night Out"
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 08:23:25 AM »

I forgot JEANNE EAGLES and EDDY DUCHIN STORY  (She is so gorgeous in that and the Central Park montage is a sheer heaven.
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 08:30:51 AM »

I only got six before I gave up.

Some were absolute "gimmes", but others weren't so much even remotely guessable for me.  I correctly guessed 14 of them, but made the "All that Jazz" mistake that S. Woody warned about.  It's really "Moulin Rouge".

Current, and most recent, movies and their posters aren't as familiar to me.

"West Side Story", "Gone With the Wind" and "Clockwork Orange" were instantly recognizable.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:45:49 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2008, 08:35:39 AM »

"Semipermeable Membrane" -- sounds an awful lot like the proverbial "hole in the head" conditions some folks seem to exhibit.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »

I'm at work again.

Yesterday was miserable.  Nasty, nasty head cold with constant blowing of nose.  Went through a new box of tissues, I did.

Somewhere around 6:30 p.m., the "flow" abated and I felt somewhat better.  Had a bowl of Sicilian split pea soup for din-din and watched some telly, including "Project Runway" before sliding back into bed where I had spent all of yesterday morning and most of the afternoon.

This was the first time I've had as nasty a virus as this against which none of my meds were effective.  Nothing could stop the ongoing flow of sinus material.  

There is some residual chest congestion, naturally, and I'll probably be hacking a bit the next couple of days.

Just wanted to share that with all of you!!!  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 08:50:50 AM »

You know, Kerwin Mathews once invited me to come to his house for tea next time I was in San Francisco. I wish I would have done so.

I wish you had, too.

I once had what I call a Matthews "spotting" in San Francisco.  He was not so much "instantly recognizable" to me, but I saw this guy on the street, and saw some folks rubbernecking and talking excitedly.  As I passed them, I heard one say, "Yeah! He's the guy who made those fantasy films....Kerwin something or other".  Having seen him, I then knew immediately they meant Matthews.

I Googled him when I got home, and read that he preferred to stay out of the limelight and asked his fans to respect his privacy.

I'd have loved reading about a tea with him from you, Mike!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2008, 08:52:31 AM »

As for rillettes...  Well, I guess it does take a bit of time for one trend to travel from the East coast to the West coast.  Although, I've seen rillettes on French bistro menus for years - it's most definitely not a new food.  I guess people have just caught on to the whole mason jar presentation.

*And Bouchon Bakery in the Time-Warner Center sells small jars of their Duck Rillettes, along with the requisite baguettes and batards.

Talk about your "Gallivanting Gourmets".......!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »

I have to say that "Picnic" is probably my favorite Novak performance, but very much enjoyed her in "Bell, Book and Candle" and "Vertigo", as well.

I recently watched "The Legend of Lylah Clare" on TCM.  It was the first time I'd ever seen it, and I wanted so much to love it.  But oh my goodness.  There was a lot of good in it, but it was a bit too talky and not very well written, in my opinion.   It "should have" worked, but I grew impatient with it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »

Well...  John just introduced me to his new pet.  A mouse. Her name is Jen. Hmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »

On TV tonight:

MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST (season finale)

Wow that was a short season. The season starts here tomorrow.

Also on tv tonight:

Big Brother 10.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:39 AM »

Yes, LYLAH CLARE began life as a Television Drama.

Wow - I forgot BELL BOOK AND CANDLE - Kim is so beautiful in it, Jack Lemmon is so funny, as is Ernie Kovacs.   And James Stewart and Kim have some nice chemistry....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »

RE Last night's Project Runway.....I think I would have sent the PARTNER of the auf'ed designer home...said person has done awful work since the season started...and the work on last night's project was really bad.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »

I hated that Kenley (Sp?) laughed so loudly when Daniel said "I have impeccable taste".  The truth is, it's all in his head since it never seems to translate to his work.

I agree that he should have been the one to go.  

I was a bit disappointed that Jerrell wasn't the winner because I thought his outfit was "classier" than the winning one (which was great.  Keith did a fantastic job on it).  Obviously, it was Shields' take on both dresses that made the difference.  Kors and Garcia were poised, I think, to declare Jerrell's the best overall, but Shields was more partial to Keith's and that is what counts.

For what it's worth, I think she should have agreed to wear both outfits on the show.

Kerry

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »

I hated that Kenley (Sp?) laughed so loudly when Daniel said "I have impeccable taste".  The truth is, it's all in his head since it never seems to translate to his work.

I agree that he should have been the one to go.  

I was a bit disappointed that Jerrell wasn't the winner because I thought his outfit was "classier" than the winning one (which was great.  Keith did a fantastic job on it).  Obviously, it was Shields' take on both dresses that made the difference.  Kors and Garcia were poised, I think, to declare Jerrell's the best overall, but Shields was more partial to Keith's and that is what counts.

For what it's worth, I think she should have agreed to wear both outfits on the show.

What the hell are you talking about?
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »

I guess I needed to sleep a little later today, because I did.  But, I'm up now and shall try to de-grog so I can jog.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »

I believe Kerwin Mathew's ran an antique shop in San Francisco for many years and he always had a couple of cats. He would not do interviews (someone told me it was because he was hard of hearing in later years), but otherwise was very friendly to fans. His phone number was even listed in the directory.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2008, 09:44:30 AM »

Pwoject Wunway.....an oasis in the cultural desert of television....well, not really.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up