Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OSMOSIS  (Read 23694 times)

Ginny

Re:OSMOSIS
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »

You might try giving your denizens marshmallows and sending  them away for the day.

der Brucer

On that note, I just read that the powers-that-be in Denver are handing out passes to the zoo, movie theaters, and such to that city's homeless for the days that the Democratic National Convention is in town.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »

I began my afternoon with CAMP ROCK on Blu-ray. To say it's a Disney teen flick by-the-numbers is to be kind to it. The story is really trite (though I guess if you're young and haven't seen many movies, it might seem fresh). The music wasn't good, and the choreography is rather uninspired.

Both HIGH SCHOOL MUSICALs and JUMP-IN look like masterpieces compared to this.

I think you are being too hard on it.  Is it a masterpiece? No.

Even though it is a musical, I think you have to consider that you are not its target audience.

It has a) the jonas brothers and b) the lead girl was very good.

I enjoyed it and i've seen many movies. And i doubt i'm in the target audience either. :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »

Here is my exciting day so far:
Morning walk
Putter around
Errands to Home Depot and Walgreens
Lunch at Wendy's

Now you can see why I haven't posted much today.

I assume your afternoon will be dedcated to the selfless Struggle For World Peace.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

I guess you missed my post where I mentioned I was puttering.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »

I assume your afternoon will be dedcated to the selfless Struggle For World Peace.

der Brucer

I am satisfied with peace in my home.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2008, 02:36:44 PM »

I enjoyed it and i've seen many movies. And i doubt i'm in the target audience either. :)

Well, I enjoyed it, and doubt I'm in the target audience, but I also agree that:

The story is really trite (though I guess if you're young and haven't seen many movies, it might seem fresh). The music wasn't good, and the choreography is rather uninspired.

Both HIGH SCHOOL MUSICALs and JUMP-IN look like masterpieces compared to this.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »

This has been a busy tax day, but no returns finalized, so there's no sense of accomplishment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »

I think you are being too hard on it.  Is it a masterpiece? No.

Even though it is a musical, I think you have to consider that you are not its target audience.

It has a) the jonas brothers and b) the lead girl was very good.

When Home Theater Forum takes you on as a critic and sends you  review copies of DVDs, you can say whatever "you" feel about the movie you are reviewing...just as MattH has done.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

Okay, this is officially annoying.  Let's get some postin' goin' on or there will be hell toupee.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »

Favorite diet meal:

eggplant, peeled and diced
zuchini, peeled and slice
yellow squash, peeled and diced
tomatoes, diced
green pepper, seeded and diced

Cook it all together in a pan with a little olive oil.

I am sure SWoody and Jose can fine-tune it.

I don't think I'll try.  I don't care for eggplant.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »

I have never dieted but found that regular weight training helped get me into very good shape...unfortunately, I have not pursued this activity in the last 6 years or so and it shows.
Fortunately, the phrase "Does this kurta make me look fat?" is just plain silly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »

I'm at work again.

Yesterday was miserable.  Nasty, nasty head cold with constant blowing of nose.  Went through a new box of tissues, I did.

Somewhere around 6:30 p.m., the "flow" abated and I felt somewhat better.  Had a bowl of Sicilian split pea soup for din-din and watched some telly, including "Project Runway" before sliding back into bed where I had spent all of yesterday morning and most of the afternoon.

This was the first time I've had as nasty a virus as this against which none of my meds were effective.  Nothing could stop the ongoing flow of sinus material.  

There is some residual chest congestion, naturally, and I'll probably be hacking a bit the next couple of days.

Just wanted to share that with all of you!!!  :D
But, Ron, how do you really feel?

;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »

Well, there is a difference between being thin and being healthy.
And then, there's cadaverish.

I weighed 145 from the end of high school on to about fifteen years ago, or so, when I quit smoking.

I'm much healthier now, no longer cadaverish.

Cadaverish sounds like the name of a mortician's butler.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »

Thank you, S. Woody, for mentioning that 4-CD Alan Menken set "The Music Behind the Magic".   I had not heard of the set until your mention.  I found it at Amazon.com.
And I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »

I've been catching up on professional reading.
Well, you are a librarian.  Myself, I read as an amateur, and never get paid for it.

Ginny

« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Home on the couch with my feet propped up - using the laptop.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »

Work was so joyful today.  Someone in the corporation decided to change the access codes on one of the major computer programs that all of our managers use in order to order things to sell, but neglected to make sure all of our managers had the access codes so that they could do said ordering.  That I, too, need access to that program, in order to get access to the records of the orders, was just a minor blip in comparison.

Of course, when calls were made to the corporate help desk, the reply everyone got was that only the store manager at every store was allowed to hand out access codes.  Guess which store's manager had the day off today!

I am so looking forward to Sunday and Monday, which I will have off.  (Yes, I will be available for scorekeeping!)

FJL

« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2008, 05:10:42 PM »

Anyone thinking some of the Michael Phelps photos in the regular media are bordering on being "adult" shots, to put it politely?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2008, 05:11:34 PM »

I should check on the chicken breasts I have roasting in the oven.

I'm probably already too far behind in getting the risotto started.  Such is life.

Spinach as a veg, to finish the menu.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »

I agree, BK, that Wall-E didn't find it's audience is bewildering and saddening.  I can only hope that somehow it will do better on DVD.

Maybe the lack of dialogue was the problem - too many people need to be told everything, in order to know how to think.  They even need "judges" on shows like American Idol and Dancing With the Stars to help them understand what they've heard and seen.  I shudder to think how today's audiences would receive The Red Balloon.  It's scary.

Either that, or instead of the clips from Hello, Dolly, maybe they should have used a video by Miley Cyrus.   :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »

Yep, the chicken is done and the risotto isn't.  I guess that's why having a lid for the pan with the chicken is helpful.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »

Ron, you mentioned Sicilian split pea soup. I used to be quite the split pea soup fan, but have never heard of a Sicilian version. Could you 'splain, please?

Jeanne:  The brand name is Alessi Traditional, and the varieties I buy are Spaccarelli (Sicilian Split Pea Soup), Zuppa Toscana (Tuscan White Bean Soup), Lenticchie (Sicilian Lentil Soup). and Pasta Fazool (Neapolitan Bean Soup).  "Fagioli" is Italian for "bean" which in Southern Italian dialect becomes "fazool."  All the soups have pasta, beans and veggies/spices unique to the soups.  I buy these soups at the Piedmont Grocery in Oakland, a really special "little" neigborhood grocery that carries amazing things (fresh produce, fresh meats/seafood and a vast array of cheeses are everyday items).  

These are packaged (i.e. dry) soups that you add to 36 oz boiling water.  Each soup is ready to eat anywhere from 12-15 minutes.  I add a little olive oil at the finish, and serve with parmesan on top.  They taste REALLY good!  Warning: The sodium in each is anywhere from 680 to 740 mg.

A website you can visit to learn more is www.vigo-alessi.com.  Vigo Importing Company is out of Tampa FL.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »

But, Ron, how do you really feel?

;)

Right now?  Like yesterday's crap, warmed over.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »

Anyone thinking some of the Michael Phelps photos in the regular media are bordering on being "adult" shots, to put it politely?

What regular media are you referring to?

Be specific.

;)

FJL

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »

Well, right now, for example, the photo of Phelps that is in rotation here :)

http://www.rr.com/

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2008, 06:25:09 PM »

Good Evening!

Hmm... I guess it has been a slow news day around these here parts... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2008, 06:28:33 PM »

So... I went here, I went there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »

My sister-in-law dropped me off at the Rosslyn Metro Station where I then boarded the Yellow Line to Pentagon City Mall.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »

And once I was at the Pentagon City Mall, I stopped into Lindt to buy some chocolate - they were having a sale.  I also stopped into the Apple Store just to check out some iPhone accessories.  Alas, the Apple Store smelled like stale gym socks, so I didn't stay there long.  Then since the thunderstorms had rolled in by then, I decided to lunch at Johnny Rockets.  Then it was back on the subway back into DC...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up