Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO POOPED TO POP  (Read 63083 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:TOO POOPED TO POP
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »

ANYWAY.... I got off easy - while the other ladies were making hundreds of homemade meatballs and gallons of homemade sauce and baking dozens of little decorative cakes I was buying premade salad and dressings....

Directly acrposs from my church there is a Sears hardware store wher I bought my stove a few years ago.  I stopped in and lo and behold they wer having a one day sale on microwaves!

I found a lovely 1.6 cubic Kenmore on sale for $119.  I have always been pleased with the quality and durability of my other Kenmore appliances - so I picked it up.  I bought a couple of other things as well but when the cashier totalled my bill it seemed a bit higher than I had mentally calculated. The salesman was standing by holding the heavy and bulky microwave package in preparation to carry it out to my car since the store's handtruck  had gone AWOL so I didn't stop to investigate the matter and proceeded homeward.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »

Keith said a good bagel to him is crispy on the outside, dense & chewing on the inside.  Do these fit his criteria for a good bagel?

Thanks for the bagel & egg bagel report.

FJL

« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »

The New York Times review of Skip's show Herringbone seems ot have come out; it's reviewed by Anita Gates - has one interesting-but-seemingly-fixable problem with the production, but overall very very good

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D00E5D71638F932A1575AC0A96E9C8B63

"ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT | PRINCETON; Seeking Fortune and Finding Fame

By ANITA GATES

B. D. Wong could charm his way out of just about anything. That makes him perfectly suited for ''Herringbone,'' the unorthodox one-man musical in which he is starring, to glowing effect, at the McCarter Theater Center.

You can take ''Herringbone,'' which had its New York premiere at Playwrights Horizons Theater in 1982, one of two ways. It is either the straightforward story of a semitalented little boy possessed by the spirit of a vindictive dead dancer, or an allegory about the dangers of success.

The story begins in Depression-era Demopolis, Ala., a small town where the Nookin family, like many other Americans, are struggling financially. Rich Uncle Billy has died and left them -- bad luck -- only his car and a piece of written advice: ''Culture durin' hard times does real well.''

Sure enough, when they send their 8-year-old son, George, to nice Mr. Mosley for acting lessons, George turns out to have a remarkable talent for tap-dancing.

Perhaps this is because Mr. Mosley's old partner, Lou, who had the voice and attitudes of a tough borscht belt agent (''I was the best midget hoofer in the business''), has taken up residence in the boy's body. That will let him get back at that double-crossing Mosley, who caused his death.

Both Tom Cone's book and Ellen Fitzhugh's knowing lyrics have attitude too. There are songs about divine instructions for the family to go to Hollywood (''God said, 'Trust me, I got a hunch' ''), about George's father's hopes for a big inheritance (''You lived in style/ You rolled in clover/ You made a pile/ Now hand it over'') and suicide (''A leap to your death is effective/ But tends to be overcorrective''). Skip Kennon's music is traditionally musical-theaterish but slightly off-center.

Mr. Wong's singing voice isn't his strong suit, but it's likable. And he can dance up a storm. A Tony Award winner for ''M. Butterfly'' 20 years ago and a star of NBC's ''Law & Order: Special Victims Unit'' since 2001, Mr. Wong plays 10 characters in ''Herringbone.'' He doesn't do this in the watch-me-transform style so popular in contemporary one-person shows; the performance is more like that of a particularly entertaining parent telling a bedtime story and casually giving each character a different voice.

He has done the show before, in a workshop production last summer at the Williamstown Theater Festival in Massachusetts, directed by Roger Rees. Mr. Rees has also smartly directed the McCarter production, which comments on the audience's relationship to fame and all that onstage charm by putting the star's (supposed) dressing room right onstage, where he can be seen (supposedly) preparing for the show.

The problem with the production, and it is a considerable one, is that we don't see the point of the story coming, at least not nearly soon enough. Much of the time, only the surface shows. Little George's experience with Lou does, however, immediately seem to explain the unnatural instant maturity that comes to some child performers and how that seeming maturity can pull those youngsters away from their parents.

''Herringbone'' sees the universe swarming with demons, hovering about, just waiting for openings. When a human with talent becomes aware enough of that gift to be proud of it, or finds and is seduced by fame, the demons sense that weakness and rush right in. Or it may be that talent and fame are themselves the demons, disguised in angels' clothing. Either way, they get little George as he rapidly becomes a star.

People in show business can appreciate stories like this because they enjoy analyzing their own reactions to fame and praise. Audiences appreciate them because we tend to be fascinated by fame, probably because of its general unattainability. We're entranced by celebrity, determined to figure out which of these well-lighted strangers are really nice people and which are despicable egotists beneath their red-carpet smiles. Keep in mind one of George Burns's favorite lines: ''Acting is all about honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made.''

All that ''Herringbone'' knows for sure is that if you're infected by fame, it will grow and grow. And eventually it will get the upper hand.

''Herringbone,'' by Tom Cone, Skip Kennon and Ellen Fitzhugh, at the Berlind Theater, McCarter Theater Center, 91 University Place, Princeton, through Oct. 12. Information: (609) 258-2787 or mccarter.org."

Jane

« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2008, 07:33:20 PM »

Feel better DR FJK.

Jane

« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »

Nice review

FJL

« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2008, 07:34:57 PM »

Thanks, Jane.  The sneezing is a little less severe, and the cough is just about gone.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:35:42 PM by FJL »

Ginny

« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2008, 07:35:28 PM »

Very nice NYT review, DR FJL.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »

DR Vixmom - it sounds like there's more to your microwave story...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »

It's strange.  The link to the review says it was published on Sept 21, but Skip and his collaborators didn't know about it until it suddenly showed up on a search of nytimes.com today.  And it looks like it must have been in the Regional section of the paper.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »

I'm glad to see that all is right again at HHW.

td

• td
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing the review, DR FJL!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »

DR Vixmom - it sounds like there's more to your microwave story...

And if there is, I'll have to read it tomorrow, 'cause I'm falling asleep.

'night!

Kerry

« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »

"Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular?"

And so tasty too-- just like candy!
I like boat races.

vixmom

« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »

Once home I set up the microwave and sat down and looked at the bill - sure enough, not only was I not charged the sale price, I was charged $10 above the list price!  I went back to the store (about 30 minutes after I left) and spoke to the cashier, pointing out the error and stating that  obviously the error was not hers, she just a scans the bar code and whatever has been fed into the computer comes up on the register, but that I would require a refund.

After studying the receipt for several minutes and  she asked me where I bought the microwave -  now even putting aside the fact the store name, number and time and date of purchaser are all prominently displayed on the receipt on her hand, putting aside th e fact that this is a small store with 3 registers, 1 of which was open and that has maybe 2 or 3 customers in it at any time and 95% of them are men, Putting aside the fact that this was at most 30 minutes after she rang up my purchase while a co-worker stood by carrying the huge box ... I had started the conversation by saying  that I had bought it there within the past 1/2 hour and that she had been the cashier to ringit up!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #224 on: September 28, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »

It's strange.  The link to the review says it was published on Sept 21, but Skip and his collaborators didn't know about it until it suddenly showed up on a search of nytimes.com today.  And it looks like it must have been in the Regional section of the paper.

<nod>

*It also actually appeared in one of the daily "Top News" emails I get from NYTimes.com too, I think the "Urban Eye" e-list.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2008, 07:48:31 PM »

things went downhill from there

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »

Keith said a good bagel to him is crispy on the outside,

Yes.

dense & chewing on the inside.

Yes.

Do these fit his criteria for a good bagel?

Yes.

Thanks for the bagel & egg bagel report.

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:48:56 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: September 28, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »

DR vixmom - Did you check your horoscope before making your microwave purchase?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #228 on: September 28, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »

Now I am sure I am not the most memorable person alive.  There has been many a time I joked about accidently leaving on my invisibility cloak as store clerks ignored me standing in front of them to serve the person standing behind me or as people attempted to barge through doors I was clearly already walking through or failing to acknowledge me holding doors open for them... my mother forgets my name on a regular basis; but now I found that the man who had pointed out the sale, convince me to but this model rather than one of the others, held the microwave while it was being rung up and  and carried it out to the car for me looked blankly at me  when I pointed him put as the employee who could verify the price disparity.

I walked over to the shelves where the microwaves were and the one day sale price sticker had been removed from the shelf....

I began to look for Alan Funt and his cameras    
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:10:29 PM by vixmom »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »

This is getting good.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »

The cashier was beginning to look at me like I was trying to shake her down  and told me that if tehr was a sle the slaesperson would have given her the asle sticker to ring up and as he had NOT there clearly was no sale... so I asked to speak to the manager and she asked me to step to the side so she could help  the next customer

(she didn't actually page the manager but I stepped aside just the same)

AS I did I was able to see from this new vantage point that the sale sticker had been stuck(presumably by her ) on her side of the cash register - I pointed this out and she gave me a look that could have disintergrated Mbarnum's gnome

She then paged the manager and when he arrived she wordlessly handed him my receipt and the sticker and walked away.  He said thathe credited back my debit card...I hope so

vixmom

« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »

I can't wait to buy the dishwasher....

MBarnum

« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »

LOL! Your story cracked me up!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:09:25 PM by MBarnum »

vixmom

« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »

((((((((((((Danise)))))))))))))))))))

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »

LOL. Good for you, Vixmom!

That reminds me of the time I bought the stovetop.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2008, 08:11:52 PM »

Poopular is a good song from Wicked.

vixmom

« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »

FJL I really want to get to see Herringbone -  I must see if I can get WFO to join me in a trip to NJ

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »

Now back to the film masterpiece I'm watching.  They don't make 'em like this anymore - they wouldn't even know how to begin.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »

Good evening!

It isn't quite cool enough tonight for my taste even though I do have the windows and doors open. Hopefully, I'll get enough coolness inside to sleep comfortably tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2008, 08:23:27 PM »

Fred, that wasn't just a good review.  Gates gave a thoughtful review.  Skip and company have been honored.  (Too bad too many reviewers don't take the time to think before they write.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:29:36 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up