Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO POOPED TO POP  (Read 62601 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TOO POOPED TO POP
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were too pooped and yet popped, and now it is time for you to post until the too pooped to pop cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:28:51 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TOO POOPED TO POP
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: LIPOGRAM!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:13:12 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 12:21:52 AM »

A note to all our beloved and wonderful dear readers:

Yesterday, it was a little alarming around these here parts with some of the political posts.  I know that no matter what side you're on, if you're political you're passionate about your side.  And sometimes that passion comes out so strongly that it causes others to react equally as strongly, and then things can unfortunately start to be taken personally, which I don't think they're meant to be.  It's always the danger with political discussion - we usually avoid it here, but yesterday several people really got bent out of shape and I just adore all of you too much to want that to continue.  So, I'd ask you be simply be considerate of others and to be careful that if we go to this political place that it be done calmly and without the extreme emotion and rhetoric.  I'm fortunate, I suppose, in that I've never really been a political person - I tend not to like anyone who's running for anything.  So, I've read some things here that I've found interesting, and I've read some things from both points of view that border on being unpleasant.  

This just isn't that kind of site and I would like not to become that kind of site.  A lot of boards that I visit forbid political discussion and it's easy to see why.  But we're better than those boards and I think everyone can state their case calmly and without the posts seeming like they're goading people to react in a way where things might get unpleasant.

I pride myself on the quality, intellect, and extreme good nature of everyone on this board, and how many wonderful friendships have been forged and how many wonderful get-togethers we've had.  I would hate for something like politics and these sorts of heated diatribes to cause people to leave - so, please, let's just be aware of the situation and all do our best to keep things calm and even-keeled.  Thanks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:22:05 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 12:26:19 AM »

bk: "...read cabbage..." ???

der Brucer

Yeah, I know, it works well if red aloud!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:26:43 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 12:30:18 AM »

Yesterday, singdaw had this great news:

Coming out on DVD in France is a complete Jacques Demy collection, not just the previously released musicals [Les parapluies de 'Cherbourg', Les demoiselles de Rochefort, 'Le joueur de flûte de Hamelin'  & 'Le peau d'âne], but also  'Un chambre en ville' (music by Michel Colombier), 'Parking'  and 'Trois places pour le 26' .

It's pricey [at a hundred euros], but maybe they will be released separately afterwards.

link here

It seems that the films will be English-subtitled, but not the extras.

I went to the link there, but where are you seeing that the films will have English subs?  I hope you're right as this is an absolute must-have set.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:32:03 AM »

bk: "...read cabbage..." ???

der Brucer

Yeah, I know, it works well if red aloud!

I have no idea what you're talking about - I see red cabbage.  I see dead people.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »

Casey is an old man who wants to be a teen
He goes to all the dances and they call him cha-cha king
He cha-chas when the band is playin' rock and roll
He tries to keep in time but the beat leaves him cold.
(Chorus):
Because he's too pooped to pop, too old a soul
Hips gettin' weaker when he tries to do the stroll
And every time his feet get to go in one way
Here comes a new dance and its goin' to stray.

Chuck Berry

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:45:54 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  Why am I still up if I'm too pooped to pop?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 12:47:48 AM »

I have no idea what you're talking about - I see red cabbage.  I see dead people.

Did somebody turn on the Gaslight?

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 01:38:58 AM »

Well, the vaudeville show that I went to last night was a complete success.  Not only did they sell out, they had them sitting in the aisles and standing off to the side.  Now, the place only holds about 50 people, but still...sold out!  As to the actual "quality" of the performers...well...let's just say that they mostly went for humorous, but they were good (for locals, if you know what I'm sayin'), and a good time was had by all. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 01:43:14 AM »

WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING:

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SENATE SENDS $634 BILLION SPENDING BILL TO BUSH

WASHINGTON —  Automakers gained $25 billion in taxpayer-subsidized loans and oil companies won elimination of a long-standing ban on drilling off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts as the Senate passed a sprawling spending bill Saturday.

The 78-12 vote sent the $634 billion measure to President Bush, who was expected to sign it even though it spends more money and contains more pet projects than he would have liked.

The measure is needed to keep the government operating beyond the current budget year, which ends Tuesday. As a result, the legislation is one of the few bills this election year that simply must pass. Bush's signature would mean Congress could avoid a lame-duck session after the Nov. 4 election.

Such a huge bill usually would dominate the end-of-session agenda on Capitol Hill. But it went below the radar screen because attention focused on the congressional bailout of Wall Street.

Bush had threatened to veto bills that did not cut the number and cost of pet projects in half or cause agency operating budgets to exceed his request. Democrats ignored the edict as they drafted the plan and the White House has apparently backed down.

Taxpayers for Common Sense, a watchdog group, discovered 2,322 pet projects totaling $6.6 billion. That included 2,025 in the defense portion alone that cost a total of $4.9 billion. Critics of such "earmarks" promise to scrutinize them in coming weeks and months for links to lobbyists and campaign contributions.

Now let's see:

inspite of a threatened Presidential veto, Congress passed a budget bill with 2,322 "earmarks" worth $6.6 billion.

Why are we to believe that either a President Obama or a President McCain will be able to deliver on a promise to reduce/end earmarks?

Both the Democrats and the Republicans had the power to stop this bill dead in its tracks until the earmarks were pulled.

It would seem if we want true fiscal reform we need to replace a majority of the sitting Congressmen (both Parties), regardless of who is elected President!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:44:20 AM by DERBRUCER »

George

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 01:45:31 AM »

Today, we're celebrating my sister's birthday, which actually was yesterday.  She's having a pot-luck barbecue and I was asked to bring organic red corn chips(?), some "healthier" potato chips, some diet Pepsi and some Guinness stout (mainly for our dad).  I was also asked to be there at 11:00 am, even though the eating isn't supposed to start until 1:00 pm.  Fine, it's her birthday...I'll get there early. ;)

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 01:47:03 AM »

Well, the vaudeville show that I went to last night was a complete success.  Not only did they sell out, they had them sitting in the aisles and standing off to the side. ...

I presume the Fire Marshall is on vacation :)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 01:53:08 AM »

As to the actual "quality" of the performers...well...let's just say that they mostly went for humorous, but they were good (for locals, if you know what I'm sayin'), and a good time was had by all. :)

An "Everything's Up To Date In Kansas City" show?

der Brucer

George

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 01:55:40 AM »

After everyone leaves, my sister and I (mostly me, though) will be making vegan chocolate cupcakes as desserts for a spaghetti feast that will be held at work to raise money for the family of a co-worker whose daughter died from brain cancer a couple of weeks ago.  About 45-50 people have signed up (at $6 or more...we're taking donations), so some money is going to be made for the family...and that's a good thing. :)

George

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 01:56:25 AM »

I presume the Fire Marshall is on vacation :)

der Brucer

Shhh. ;)

George

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 01:56:44 AM »

An "Everything's Up To Date In Kansas City" show?

der Brucer

Yup.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 02:03:24 AM »

...organic red corn chips ?...

Probably at Fred Meyer

der Brucer

George

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 02:19:34 AM »

Probably at Fred Meyer

der Brucer

You're right about me getting them at Fred Meyer, but what I got was Que Pasa Mexican Foods brand (from Canada...who knew?):

And they're Kosher!

;)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:20:39 AM by George »

George

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 02:21:31 AM »

Since I need to get up in less than eight hours, I'm off to bed.

Have a good day, all!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 02:37:06 AM »

Probably at Fred Meyer

der Brucer
Heck, we've got stuff like this at the store.  An entire aisle, filled with Natural foods.  About a third of the aisle is dedicated to snack foods.  Good wholesome junk.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 03:08:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: LIPOGRAM!
Whenever little Adolph saw the letter "J" he would GO PRIMAL, so all his relatives were careful and mailed him LIPOGRAMs without the offending letter.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 03:13:21 AM »

Our new store uniforms include shirts that are goldenrod or purple.  Goldenrod is worn by the general staff.  Purple is worn by managers and whoever is monitoring the self-scan registers (the sole exception to managerial exclusivity for the color).

Today I will be monitoring the self-scan registers.  Bleh.  Purple is so not my color - I'm an Autumn, dammit!!!!!

::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 03:20:11 AM »

Late yesterday, TD wrote:

I still love L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

One of the stars of television's new season, Simon Baker - or as he was billed then Simon Baker Denny - has a very good role in L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

So, he was using his married name at the time?

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 03:22:19 AM »

Workies.

(It's dark enough outside that I may need der B to drive me to work.  Early mornings like this are such a drag.)

singdaw

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 04:09:50 AM »

I have had a response from DR Cillaliz to my email.

Her decision is based on many factors, and posts by many DRs.  My post was apparently just the last straw for her.  And she did feel that it was a personal attack.  I certainly did not intend it that way, but I understand from her perspective how it was received.

I truly regret that intemperate words on my part were hurtful.  I have apologized to DR Cillaliz, and I apologize to all of you.

DR Cillaliz is not returning to HHW.  For now.  She may perhaps, one day.

And I guess I feel that, having been a factor in all of this, I should do the same.  I do not want to be a negative force in any community.  

So I regretfully bid you all adieu.  For now.  And I hope that any I have offended can find it in their hearts to forgive me.

Thanks for listening-
-David

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:27:46 AM by singdaw »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 04:17:57 AM »

Oh, Good Grief!

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 04:43:21 AM »

Sigh.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up