Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY  (Read 37544 times)

Jennifer

Re:VERY INFORMATIVE NOTES IN A LIMITED KIND OF WAY
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2003, 03:45:02 PM »

I originally wrote:
Btw, right now I am trying to find a good potato skins recipe (no frying) and no bacon and cheese. I think I am just going to try to microwave them, scoop and bake them.

DR TCB responded?
Really?  Then what's the point?

Maybe I didn't explain it properly.  I still drizzled them with oil. And they still tasted like potato skins. But I didn't want to deep fry them.  Most potato skin recipes recommend cooking the potatoes first in the microwave, so that you don't have to bake them for an hour in the oven.

But if you put the scooped out skins in the oven, they get crispy very fast!

DR Jane wrote:
Bake them until they look done to your taste.  Are you after a soft or crunchy skin?  I personally don't care for potatoes that have been cooked in the microwave oven.  I prefer a crunchier skin.  

I wanted a crunchy skin. They were pretty crunchy. I microwaved them just so they were cooked. Then I scooped and put them in the oven for about 30 minutes.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:46:05 PM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: November 14, 2003, 03:50:38 PM »

Just saw this and thought I'd like to share it with the folks here. BK, very appropriate considering what you said you were watching in today's notes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #212 on: November 14, 2003, 03:51:54 PM »

My favourite local cartoonist. (For WFO & Joe)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #213 on: November 14, 2003, 03:56:33 PM »

Are you sure it's not 101?

Jennifer

« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2003, 03:57:42 PM »

DR Ron wrote:
I wonder if any contest on "Queen For A Day" ever experienced the thrill we got when we earned our 4th star!!!!

What is Queen for a day? I want to be queen for a day!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:58:49 PM by Jennifer »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2003, 03:58:03 PM »

Was it you, DR Ben, who was making the turtle cheesecake last night. Reading those descriptions written last night this morning before I had anything to eat just made my stomach feel like a bottomless pit. I'm sure they are a LOT of trouble to make, but you don't care once it's done because it's sheer ecstacy in the eating. Please let us know how it turned out.

No, Matt, it was I, George, who made the cheesecake!  It wasn't too dificult except that I couldn't use my power tool (hand mixer) because I started making it after midnight.  But it was delicious!  Everyone who had a piece LOVED it.  Actually, I think that people were more impressed with the fact that I made it from scratch at all and that it wasn't just a "regular" cheesecake.

I don't understand what the problem was with the vanilla extract.  If you find you're out, just run downstairs and get some more.

Noel, I don't think that my downstairs neighbor would've been very happy to be woken up at midnight by someone asking to borrow a teaspoon of vanilla.  I used dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet, so I don't think that the vanilla was missed at all.  I certainly didn't think that anything was missing.   ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2003, 04:00:20 PM »

You made me so hungry last night talking about unwrapping those little caramels. Sounds delicous.

BTW BK CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A RECIPE DAY SOON?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2003, 04:14:48 PM »

When you find out, DR Jennifer, you'll realize you really don't want to be.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 04:15:40 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2003, 04:14:50 PM »

Yes, a recipe day soon.  Meanwhile you will not want to be errant and truant tomorrow because the topic of the day is really fun and you will want to post about it all the livelong day and night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2003, 04:33:03 PM »

Who would be satisfied with a day anyway Jay?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2003, 04:34:47 PM »

Good evening all! Sorry I didn’t at least post a quick “Good Morning” before heading off to work but from the moment my first toe moved from under the warm cover and encountered a much lower temperature than normal, I was in slow gear.    

I’m having a major disagreement with the local weather man at the moment.  He insists it is “crisp” outside.  I beg to differ.   What the heck is crisp?  Lettuce is crisp.  Potato chips are crisp.  Celery is crisp.  The weather outside is COLD! Don’t give me no crisp crap.  

Now that I got that off my chest, I feel somewhat better.  Still cold but better.  

What a lovely week.  I could use more like this one.  2 paid days off, 2 paid days of a wonderful class and 1 day of work-paid, of course.  I highly recommend it.

BTW, I was told they had a very quiet week at work.  There might be a message there but I can’t quite put my finger on it.    ::)

Over 500 posts!  Wow!  That makes the karma fairy want to come out to do some awarding!

Humm , Cheesecake.  Yum!  We still have some left over from Mom's B-day but I love it!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2003, 04:39:52 PM »

And, Ron, we didn't even have to weep copiously to get our stars!  :)

Speak for yourself, kemosabe!  I've wept, oh, yes! I've wept!  And struggled and toiled and tarried and dillied and dallied.

François

« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2003, 04:45:35 PM »

DR Danise,

I love your "don't give me your crisp crap!"

I wish Sondheim would write a song with that title!

Nice ring to it!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2003, 04:46:35 PM »

"Queen for a Day" was a "sort of" prize show -- four (IIRC) ladies vied for a crown, cape and prizes.  They all had sob stories, each more pitiful and pathetic than the previous.

I'm thinking they were mostly legit.  At the end of the show, the host, Jack Bailey (who looked like Walt Disney a little bit) would hold his hand over each contestant's head and the studio audience would applaud.  The "applause meter" determined which lady won the audience's heart each day.

Many days, the lady with the hardest hard-luck story of all DID NOT WIN, and it used to break my tender young heart (I always wore my heart on my sleeve in those days).  I couldn't understand why the audiences would reject some of those pitiful stories.

The winner would usually get something designed to alleviate her hardships -- if she was forever toiling away in the kitchen cooking on a wood stove for lots of folks, she'd get a brand new electric stove; if she was washing clothes with a scrub board for a large family, including several younguns, she'd get a washing machine.  There would also be a day of primping at a Hollywood salon (called "spas" today), and maybe a gift certificate for shopping at an elegant dress show (or through a catalog like Michael C. Fina).

Ah, yes, those were the days.............
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 04:48:52 PM by Ron Pulliam »

François

« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2003, 04:46:36 PM »

Let me quote properly:

DON'T GIVE ME NO CRISP CRAP!

François

« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2003, 04:50:04 PM »

Back in the fifties in France --- I KNOW you ALL remember! -- there was a famous radio show called REINE D'UN JOUR which was quite similar to QUEEN FOR A DAY!

That's way informative, right? Can't argue about that!
Nowhere on the Internet one would get such spiffy info!

DON'T GIVE ME NO CRISP CRAP!
I LOVE it!

Jay

« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2003, 04:57:40 PM »

I was just a wee sprig when I watched "Queen for a Day," but my recollection is that at the time I thought what's the use of a washing machine if they didn't have electricity running to their hovel in the middle of the woods, or what's the use of a stove if there was no food to cook on it.  This was a long time ago, and that long stretch may have fogged my memory, but DR Ron is so correct in saying that these women had the saddest, most hard-on-their luck stories I ever heard.  I do remember enjoying when they were crowned and robed.  In retrospect, I now realize how pathetic that was.

François

« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2003, 04:58:50 PM »

Tom,

Judging from the size of your new SMILING mug shot, I have the feeling you're auditioning for Tom THUMP! ;)

Danise

« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2003, 05:03:25 PM »

Well, Francois,  What can I say.  I just call'em like I see'em.  ;D

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2003, 05:05:03 PM »

I never could quite figure out the logic of some of the prizes on Queen for a Day (and, no, Jennifer, you don't want to be Queen for a day).

Here would be this poor woman in a housedress who would tell the studio audience how her husband was in an iron lung, and how she hadn't been able to work since the rock slide ruined their old truck, not to mention that their son had been thrown out of the priesthood (how is that possible?  he didn't drink?).  And what do they give her for prizes, but a year's supply of Ivory Soap and a silver tea service from Michael C. Fina?  What in the hell is that about?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2003, 05:06:02 PM »

LOL-that's for sure. ;)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2003, 05:08:16 PM »

I don't know, TCB...there's been many a gloomy day in my life that would have been brightened enormously by a shiny silver tea service.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 05:08:50 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2003, 05:10:20 PM »

Jennifer your potato skins sound healthy and yummy.  I haven’t made those in years.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2003, 05:23:17 PM »

I don't know, TCB...there's been many a gloomy day in my life that would have been brightened enormously by a shiny silver tea service.

A great many jokes about queens and tea services went swirling through my mind, but.......... let it go, Tom, just let it go.

Great minds think alike, Jay.

I had forgotten about the robe.   She would still have on the housedress, and they would put this velvet robe around her and try to get the crown to stay in her badly permed hair; and they would say that first they were going to whisk her off to lunch, by limo, to some fancy Beverly Hills restaurant.  And, of course, no one would look twice at the woman sitting and eating lunch by herself in this elegent establishment wearing an old housedress, the robe, and the crown.

Gosh, I hated that show.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2003, 05:32:26 PM »

I am at work. I am still at work. This would be fine except I am not on the west coast so that means I am still at work and it's 8:30pm. I will also be working this weekend. And let us not get me started on how frustrated I am about that.  Oh yes - frustrated would be the word.  Me thinks there is a leeeeeeeeetle discussion that the boss and I are going to have to have sooner rather than later.

So.. if I had to vote anyone off right now it would be me.. so I can get some peace and rest and all that jazz...

Can you tell I am frustrated? Frustrated and frazzled.  They gave me the old frazzle dazzle and now I am frazzle dazzling them.

Ok.. I've amused myself long enough. I must get downstairs and play nice with the event staff...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2003, 05:33:38 PM »

Let me see if this link will work if I don't highlight it.

This is the place where I was trying to find a good recipe for potato skins.

http://www.allrecipes.com

This is the site where I found the chocolate turtle cheesecake recipe that I used (except that I had no vanilla).  If anyone is interested, here's the link:

http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/turtlecheesecake.asp

The other (minor) changes were that I used chocolate graham crackers instead of the vanilla wafers, 4 tbs. butter instead of the 6 and I had dark chocolate chocolate chips.  I found another recipe that was almost exactly the same except it said to use 2 tbs. butter for the crust and only two 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, which would make a thinner batter.  Both recipes said to use 2 eggs so the texture of the cakes will be different.  I personally like a thicker cheesecake.

DR George, how did the cheesecake turn out?

And did you have any trouble FedExing me a piece or ten of it.  :D
Giving the recipe is about as close as I can come to FedExing it to you...as much as I'd love to actually do it.  I really do enjoy baking (especially when it turns out so well), but I don't get (take) very many chances to do it.  If I only do it for myself, then I'd be twice the man I am...and not in a good way.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 05:40:54 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2003, 05:38:24 PM »

I wrote:

DR Jay wrote:

I dunno it doesn't sound that bad. I want a crown and a cape!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 05:43:36 PM by Jennifer »

Jay

« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2003, 05:47:21 PM »

Dear Reader Jennifer:

It wasn't a cape.  It was a robe.  With mole tails.  If DRs Ron, TCB and I have not convinced you otherwise, you go for it.

Of course, being a Queen in Perpetuity is an entirely different matter than being Queen for a Day.  If that's what you're interested in, then I can regale you for some time about its many enjoyments.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2003, 05:47:21 PM »

Here's a little Queen for a Day trivia question: From what Hollywood landmark was the show taped?

Tomovoz

« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2003, 05:47:54 PM »

In OZ we had the same show (we'll buy anything) but it was retitled "Lady For A Day". We did not want to offend HRM QEII. The show was just as bad. The opposition commercial channel has "It Could Be You" which was much the same but marginally better - it rewarded housewifes who went beyond the "call of duty" and did so much for others in their family and community.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up