Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOME STRETCH  (Read 16755 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE HOME STRETCH
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2004, 07:06:33 PM »

« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 07:18:25 PM by Jane »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2004, 07:17:31 PM »

I love Doris Roberts.

I first became aware of her when she played Mildred on "Remington Steele," but I've since discovered she was in "Soap" as the mother of Father Tim, who left the church and fathered Corinne's (BK's very own Diana Canova) child.

Another Roberts fan here.  Very funny lady.  I remember that she salt and peppered her way through almost all the Norman Lear and MTM sitcoms during the 70s and made enough of an impression on me that when she landed on Angie (the Donna Pescow sitcom) I already knew her name.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2004, 07:25:46 PM »

This dance is for Jennifer.  Thanks for the "insert hyperlink" tip.  It worked and was EASY.  :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2004, 07:25:56 PM »

Did anyone else just get bounced off?  I clicked on "quote" to respond to a post but the "You are not logged on" message came up instead.  I had to sign back in.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2004, 07:28:07 PM »

I used to love Remington Steele and Doris Roberts in it (and James Read ;) )!  I haven't seen it in years.  However, I've never seen an entire episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond."  It's one of those very popular shows that, for some reason, just doesn't grab my attention, then I miss the whole series.  "Everybody Loves Raymond," "King of Queens," "Home Improvement," "Roseanne," "Seinfeld," etc., etc., etc.

There's an idea for a topic:  popular TV series we never watched.  I never watched a single episode of ER.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2004, 07:29:57 PM »

I have caught up on the posting and now going back and read BK's musings
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2004, 07:33:02 PM »

Did anyone else just get bounced off?  I clicked on "quote" to respond to a post but the "You are not logged on" message came up instead.  I had to sign back in.

I have had that happen in the past.  I think it was with reply instead of quote.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2004, 07:33:18 PM »

There's an idea for a topic:  popular TV series we never watched.  I never watched a single episode of ER.

Within what timeframe?

We could go back many a year and I could honestly respond "All of them."

The last series I watched with any kind of regularity--and this dates me--is "Dynasty."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2004, 07:34:19 PM »

Doris Roberts has won the Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Emmy for the past three years and is nominated again this year.

I think the first time I remember her was guest starring on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW as a manager of an employment agency that Phyllis goes to to find a job. A wonderful job comes up that Phyllis is just right for, and when she calls the firm to make an appointment for an interview, she takes it for herself and leaves Phyllis standing in the agency's office.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2004, 07:36:44 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE tonight with a very sharp and beautiful transfer with almost no flaws at all. Then watched the DVD of ANNE FRANK REMEMBERED, another of my laserdisc titles I've replaced with the DVD recently.

Up tomorrow: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2004, 07:36:49 PM »

Echo is driving us crazy.  She stands at one door in the house and barks, with her very loud bark, until we let her out.  After a bit she comes back in and goes to a different door, barking until we let her out.  Do you think she wants attention? :D

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2004, 07:38:04 PM »

I never saw an episode of LA LAW or ST. ELSEWHERE.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2004, 07:38:52 PM »

Jay, I suppose watching Dynasty could cure you of watching any future TV. :D

Off to give my little girl some attention.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2004, 07:44:32 PM »

I was just invited for a hot dog and a glass of wine by my landlords. Saves me having to forage for supper.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2004, 07:47:12 PM »

Jay, I suppose watching Dynasty could cure you of watching any future TV. :D

Dynasty was a camp classic, even before Joan Collins came on board.  Pamela Sue Martin's acting was so bad on the early episodes that she never failed to have me rolling on the floor.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2004, 07:49:16 PM »

Nice new pic, DR Dan-t-M.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2004, 07:49:53 PM »

Never got through an episode of Seinfeld, Never watched Dynasty nor Dallas. Never watched ER either.  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2004, 07:53:19 PM »

Some vibes are in order:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]* * * * * FEEL BETTER VIBES FOR DR DANISE * * * * *[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @ @  GOOD HEALTH NEWS VIBES FOR DR ELMORE @ @ @ @ @[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]# # # # #  BUG FREE COMPUTER DAYS FOR DR EMILY # # # # # [/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  BLAKE A REG VIBES FOR THE WHAT IF TEAM ! ! ! ! ![/move]

« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 08:10:00 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2004, 07:54:24 PM »

Just catching up with the feature sections from Sunday's L.A. Times.  Here's an item that should be of interest to many Dear Readers:

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/suncal/cl-ca-sweeney8aug08,2,216538.story?coll=cl-suncal

STAGE

'Sweeney' times two equals zero
L.A. Opera's production was due at the same time as the release of a movie version. Now both are on hold.
By Don Shirley
Times Staff Writer

Aug 8 2004

Attend the tale of "Sweeney Todd" — that is, of "Sweeney Todd" and Los Angeles Opera.

The company wanted to present the Stephen Sondheim musical melodrama about a vengeful barber, primarily as a vehicle for Bryn Terfel. Initially, it planned to use a recent Royal Opera production of the show. But Sondheim didn't like the Royal Opera's staging enough to approve its replication.

So the Angelenos turned to a "Sweeney" production from Opera North in Leeds, England, that Sondheim had endorsed. In January, company officials announced that "Sweeney" and Terfel would appear at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion for seven performances in May 2005.

Then Sondheim attorney John Breglio had second thoughts. He felt that the spring 2005 slot was too close to the anticipated release of a movie version of "Sweeney" that DreamWorks and director Sam Mendes are planning. The projects might compete for attention in the crucial Los Angeles media market, he said. So he pulled the rights.

Breglio says this wasn't DreamWorks' doing. "I would never let DreamWorks be heavy-handed. This was our sensitivity. You protect artists and give them the air and space they need," he said. He added that he wasn't singling out L.A. Opera, noting that he had no problem with the company's just-closed production of Sondheim's "A Little Night Music."

Regarding the "Sweeney" backtracking, "I would have done the same thing with any other major company in L.A.," Breglio said. The Philadelphia market apparently wasn't considered as crucial. A production of "Sweeney" is still scheduled for spring in that city.

In place of "Sweeney," L.A. Opera booked Verdi's "Falstaff," also with Terfel. Now, though, it's increasingly obvious that the movie version of Sondheim's show won't be released any time near May. Mendes decided to work on another movie, "Jarhead," first. In a recent e-mail in response to inquiries by The Times, Sondheim said that "depending on the future schedule of the movie," L.A. Opera would have no problem getting approval next year. But for L.A. "Sweeney" fans, it's too late. A spokesman for L.A. Opera said that deals for "Falstaff" with the unions are in place. The company will do the show some other time, he said.

Copyright 2004 Los Angeles Times

Seems to me a case that borders on lose-lose.  Not to say that I am not looking forward to Mr. Bryn Terfel's Falstaff.  It's just that the L.A. Opera did so well with A Little Night Music that it would have been interesting to see how they handled Sweeney Todd and to see Mr. Terfel in the title role.

Another disappointment is not seeing Mr. Nathan Gunn in the role of Anthony Hope.  For those of you unfamilair with this young American baritone, let's just say that he sings as well as he looks, not that it would matter much.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2004, 07:55:43 PM »

Nice new pic, DR Dan-t-M.

Thank you, DR Matt.   That Coke bottle was getting heavy.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2004, 07:56:24 PM »

Here's a more informal portrait of Mr. Gunn.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2004, 08:01:12 PM »

Another disappointment is not seeing Mr. Nathan Gunn in the role of Anthony Hope.  For those of you unfamilair with this young American baritone, let's just say that he sings as well as he looks, not that it would matter much.

Hmmm...maybe they can mount Passion, instead, with Mr. Gunn playing Georgio.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2004, 08:04:51 PM »

Just had chocolate birthday cake with my landlords. A complete meal. Now to clean up before my daughter arrives to stay a few days (she's been in Canada).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 08:05:23 PM by Panni »

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2004, 08:26:56 PM »

I have missed out on a lot of popular shows. I tend to limited my regular TV series viewing to just a select few...I barely have enough time to watch all of the DVDs I have bought or the movies that I tape!

Currently (during the summer months) the only shows I watch on a regular basis are Big Brother, Amazing Race, and the morning news.

I have never seen any of the CSI shows, any of the Law and Order shows, King of the Hill, Scrubs, or hmmmm...well, I am sure there are lots more but I cannot think of any.

I do check out Everybody Loves Raymond now and then...it is pretty funny!

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2004, 08:31:37 PM »

"Raymond" is the only sitcom that I watch these days.
(not a must to record if I am out or whatever but I do enjoy the show).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2004, 09:03:41 PM »

I had 7th Heaven on as I tidied up - a guilty pleasure. It's such a calm show. The episode - which I caught halfway through was about the death of the father of the wife of the family. They didn't show him, except for the end of the episode where there was a montage of photos. The photos were of the actor Graham Jarvis. So I assumed he had played the father on previous episodes and they were killing him off. I knew Graham Jarvis in my pevious LA existence and liked him. (Met him as a fellow Canadian expatriate. He was over at our house a few times.) As the show ended a card came up "Dedicated to Graham Jarvis" - giving year of birth and recent death. He really had died and I hadn't heard...  I'm sad.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2004, 09:09:04 PM »

Doris Roberts in Bye Bye Birdie was just about the worst performance I've ever seen given by a name performer on stage.  Charlton Heston's Macbeth pales in comparison.
I've never made it through a whole ...Raymond.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Kerry

« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2004, 09:18:35 PM »

I was going to name my favorite politcal movies, but Bruce already named most of the best ones.  Each one of those  films affected me.

I'll need to go back and read the start of the postings to see how we got off on shows we never watched (that everyone thinks we should watch)  I never watched an episode of "Cosby,"  "Survivor," "American Idol"  whatever the show with Gary Coleman was called, most of those "comedies" of ABC in the last decade or so, and hundreds of others.  
It's so nice to see you guys. :D
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2004, 09:21:11 PM »

DR Panni, I actually like 7th Heaven very much and watch it during the regular season.

Yes, the man who played the grandfather was on occasionally.  And the episode where they had him die was terribly sad (since as you said, he had died in real life).

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2004, 09:22:37 PM »

Welcome back DR Kerry!

And feel better to DRs Danise and Elmore ~~~~~~!!!

Is What If over yet?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up