Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME  (Read 21158 times)

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
Re:A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2004, 12:09:01 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 4 dance![/move]
Sorry, couldn't help it...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:12:49 PM by Elan »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2004, 12:16:27 PM »

Although I am a stickler for all things linguistic, I have learned to accept, over time, individuals' idio-sin-crazies.

My main peeve now is people who should know better.  I mean journalists and television documentary writers, whose grammatical lapses would have my junior-high teachers rolling in their graves.  When I am listening to a learned-sounding commentator come out with "The significance of all these discoveries are... ", I cannot but correct him out loud, which is annoying to Joe, I'm sure.

And when a screen-writer (DR's Panni and Pogue will certainly agree) puts his own lack of knowledge of English into the mouth of a supposedly well-educated character, I cringe, I cringe.  Ah yes, just last week I shouted, "Maybe the Star Trek writer didn't know the difference, but why didn't Patrick Stewart correct him?"

Pedantic?  Not me.  It's just that, if I and my classmates in Oklahoma could master the difference between lie and lay at the age of twelve, why can't a middle-aged professional wordsmith?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2004, 12:17:16 PM »

DANSSSSSSSSSSSSE, ELAN!
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2004, 12:20:55 PM »

My main peeve now is people who should know better.  I mean journalists and television documentary writers, whose grammatical lapses would have my junior-high teachers rolling in their graves.

And when a screen-writer (DR's Panni and Pogue will certainly agree) puts his own lack of knowledge of English into the mouth of a supposedly well-educated character, I cringe, I cringe.  Ah yes, just last week I shouted, "Maybe the Star Trek writer didn't know the difference, but why didn't Patrick Stewart correct him?"

That last one really gets to me!

Jane

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2004, 12:22:10 PM »

JRand I was doing okay until I scrolled down at which point the black band appeared again.  Now it appears immediately.  I tried.

Jennifer-LOL
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:22:36 PM by Jane »

Emily

« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2004, 12:24:26 PM »

Moving Vibes to BK: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer, just hope that the guy doesn't put Montreal as the city.  DDO and other suburbs often have streets that are named the same as those in MTL proper.  

Case in point: there are something like 8 different (and FAR apart) Victoria Streets on the Island... all of which are in different cities/boroughs/neighbourhoods/etc.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2004, 12:26:23 PM »

DR Jennifer,
Yes, I thought Diane's plan (which worked without a hitch) was pretty good...even though the result has my beloved Karen in a bad spot!  :'(

DR JRand54, great photos and nice article! Jack Randall Earles!

BK, a lot of my interviewees live in Studio City...and I thought it was an adorable place myself! Are you anywhere near Moorepark?

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2004, 12:29:01 PM »

Aha, I remembered my BK question!

BK, did you ever listen to radio station KLAC from  around 1954 up to around 1958 or 1959? If you did then you may have heard Ms. June (ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE) Kenney as she did many of the commercials there along with her job as secretary and fill-in receptionist at the station, while at the same time juggling her film and television career!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:33:52 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2004, 12:32:42 PM »

I cannot say a thing about pronounciations as in our family we would say "warsh" for wash! My mom says it is because we have an Oregonian accent! LOL!

I do get a kick out of people pronouncing Oregon as Or-E-gone, rather then Ory-gun. Although it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes just to bug my friends I will say Or-E-Gone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2004, 12:36:01 PM »

I live south of Moorpark.  I'm sure I listened to KLAC, probably closer to 1958, though.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

DW BK:

When we bought our new house and sold our old house five years ago, our realtor (two syllables) said he had read a study that the three most stressful times in a person's life were 1) the death of a loved one, 2) divorce, and 3) buying or selling a house.  Of course, he left out number 4) directing a musical, but I guess most people have opted out on that one.  You have two out of four this year.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2004, 12:45:08 PM »

DR MBarnum:

I used to spend my summers in Oregon.  I would inform my friends in New York I was going to the West Coast.  In the fall, they would ask, "How was California?"

But then again, when I lived in Wisconsin, East Coast people referred to it as "out west" and West Coast people called it "the East Coast".

Now that I'm on Long Island, "out west" is Manhattan.

One is reminded of Tony Curtis in The Mirror Cracked picking up a telephone in England and yelling "Get me the Coast!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2004, 12:46:50 PM »

Oh well, DRJANE....you know the details.  I am in a show and tickets are on sale!  Anything else is superfluous.

Don't forget MBARNUM, June was standoffish and didn't talk too much about her movie career when she was working at the station....and she starred in Attack of the Giant Whatknots!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

DR Jennifer,
Yes, I thought Diane's plan (which worked without a hitch) was pretty good...even though the result has my beloved Karen in a bad spot!  :'(

It's funny, but I've actually started liking Karen this past week.  Once I found out she was actually throwing the HOH comps and that her strategy involved being kind to everyone (including adria and marvin) i started to respect her gameplay more.

And I've pretty much hated diane, until now.  But she made a smart move.  Granted she was only thinking of herself (since if Cowboy or Drew had won veto she would have gone up), but still it was a great plot.

My only question now is why don't they just tell Karen she is going home. I really don't get why they are too chicken to just be honest.

Also, who do you think Drew will take to the finals (since it seems he has promised both CB and Di). I actually think he will throw the final HOH since he knows both with take him to the finals.

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2004, 12:57:37 PM »

Jennifer, just hope that the guy doesn't put Montreal as the city.  DDO and other suburbs often have streets that are named the same as those in MTL proper.  

Case in point: there are something like 8 different (and FAR apart) Victoria Streets on the Island... all of which are in different cities/boroughs/neighbourhoods/etc.

Well they do have the postal code. So that should help!

Okay the guy finally got back to me.

It turns out both mattresses are the same price to ship. Who would have known? :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2004, 01:02:53 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I guess the heat is finally starting to get me.  I seem to have routined into my usual summer heat routine - sleep later, get up late.  Ah, well... And it is hot outside today - 96 according to the latest weather report - at least the humidity is relatively low.  -At least in comparison to the usual humidity level in Richmond this time of year.  But this mini heat wave is supposed to be over by the weekend... In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2004, 01:04:33 PM »

I cannot say a thing about pronounciations as in our family we would say "warsh" for wash! My mom says it is because we have an Oregonian accent! LOL!

I do get a kick out of people pronouncing Oregon as Or-E-gone, rather then Ory-gun. Although it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes just to bug my friends I will say Or-E-Gone.

They say "warsh" in the Ottawa Valley of Canada, too.

And Canadians pride themselves on saying Tyoozday. For many, "Toozday" is a pet peeve.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2004, 01:06:15 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - Good to see you posting.  Hopefully, the mess in your neighborhood is more cosmetic than actual damage.  -Have you had to deal with your refrigerator yet? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2004, 01:09:08 PM »

So, am I just really far behind?  As I was searching iTunes for Susan Eagan's new CD, I ran across a CD called "Everyone Has A Story"... after some research, I noticed that BK produced that CD.  What label was this for and how old is this recording?  I thought I was up on all things BK, obviously, I'm not!  So that's my question for the day!

Jane

« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2004, 01:09:24 PM »

DW BK:

When we bought our new house and sold our old house five years ago, our realtor (two syllables) said he had read a study that the three most stressful times in a person's life were 1) the death of a loved one, 2) divorce, and 3) buying or selling a house.  Of course, he left out number 4) directing a musical, but I guess most people have opted out on that one.  You have two out of four this year.

Moving great distances has been compared with the emotional stress of a death.  When the boys were 4 and 7 we moved to a new state.  Within a couple of months of the move, and just a week apart, their babysitter (a teenager & son of a good friend in the previous state) and my mother died.  Triple the fun!  The four year old had some real issues with death for a number of years.

Don't forget, we are now on our 9th home. ::)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2004, 01:10:26 PM »

It's funny, but I've actually started liking Karen this past week.  Once I found out she was actually throwing the HOH comps and that her strategy involved being kind to everyone (including adria and marvin) i started to respect her gameplay more.

And I've pretty much hated diane, until now.  But she made a smart move.  Granted she was only thinking of herself (since if Cowboy or Drew had won veto she would have gone up), but still it was a great plot.

My only question now is why don't they just tell Karen she is going home. I really don't get why they are too chicken to just be honest.

Also, who do you think Drew will take to the finals (since it seems he has promised both CB and Di). I actually think he will throw the final HOH since he knows both with take him to the finals.

I am not at all happy about this turn of events.....I can't tell you how much I was praying for Diane to lose the veto competition.  Okay, maybe praying is the wrong word.  Hoping, I guess.

Thing about Karen going home is that it may not be a done deal quite yet....
After all, Diane's guilt may get to her....she did the thing she said she would do, which was to get Drew off the block.  But she could ostensibly vote to keep Karen in the house, with Drew voting to keep Cowboy in the house.  This would then let Nik evict her own half-brother.  (And let's face it....they don't seem to have gotten too close....)

We shall see tomorrow night.  (Is it me or have Julie Chen's blouses gotten a bit....hmmmm.....slutty?)

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2004, 01:14:31 PM »

Well for $95 US including shipping, I will soon be the proud owner of a new waterbed mattress!  Hooray.

This isn't exactly on topic, but the guy asked me which type of charge card I wanted to use.  Nobody says that here! :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2004, 01:14:34 PM »

Favorite "mispronunciations" that I use when the Dear Partner and I are alone:

sketty (for the long pasta)
Liberry (where they have books)
sammich (for a filling between two pieces of bread)
othen (the thing that heats up your food.  This one dates back to the time I was 4 or 5.)

I NEVER say Feb-yoo-ary, not even in jest.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2004, 01:18:06 PM »

I. Pet peeve
  A.  Mispronunciation
     1. Yiddish division:

Kvell.  Do you see a vowel between the K and the V????  It's not "Kah-vell,"  it's KVELL.

Kibbitz.  Again, it's not Kah-BITZ.  It's kibbitz.

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2004, 01:18:09 PM »

I am not at all happy about this turn of events.....I can't tell you how much I was praying for Diane to lose the veto competition.  Okay, maybe praying is the wrong word.  Hoping, I guess.

Thing about Karen going home is that it may not be a done deal quite yet....
After all, Diane's guilt may get to her....she did the thing she said she would do, which was to get Drew off the block.  But she could ostensibly vote to keep Karen in the house, with Drew voting to keep Cowboy in the house.  This would then let Nik evict her own half-brother.  (And let's face it....they don't seem to have gotten too close....)

I guess you didn't like the turn of events cause your people are going to get evicted. :)

Is it just me or do you think the producers wanted Diane to win the veto?  I mean by letting people share their tools, it almost guaranteed she would win.

And there is no chance Diane will change her mind.  Think about it.  She needs to evict Karen, that way she breaks up the Jen/Karen team.  And Jen can't win HOH on Thursday.  It would be totally stupid for Diane to keep Karen now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »

DR MattH - Wow, I really do seem to have missed all the "weather" back east - again.

And I guess I could say the same thing to DRs WEL, Danise, Michael Shayne, Noel, Joy, elmoore...

DRY VIBES TO THE EAST COAST HAINSIES AND KIMLETS!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2004, 01:20:14 PM »

Oh and if anyone wants a good laugh.  When the waterbed guy was going over my address from his email records he said "city, is D. D. O, right"?

:)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2004, 01:22:56 PM »

My dear late mother had terrible trouble saying "California." Hard to believe, eh?

She said, "Cali - phone - ya." Could not get that "r" in there to save her life.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2004, 01:23:12 PM »

DR Jrand - Nope, you haven't missed a post with a pic of a house... Sorry...  Next week is when I'm planning on checking out more of downtown L.A. and some of the Hollywood neighborhoods, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »

KLAC-I’m sure I listened to that station.

MBarnum we quickly learned the “correct” way to pronounce Oregon after we moved here.  I still think the Californian way is prettier.  There is commercial at the movie theater for a hotel up the mountain.  Obviously the owners, who moved here from California, haven’t learned the correct pronunciation of Oregon. The first time the commercial aired the audience broke out into a scornful laughter.

When we moved to Massachusetts the appliance guy was setting up the washing machine and kept telling me the hose was shot.  I kept saying it looked fine to me.  He finally picked up the hose and demonstrated it was too short.  ;D

JRand I did get to see the picture of you watching an apple turn brown.

Jose, good question about the refrigerator and I hope Michael remembered to empty it.  How could I forgot about that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up