Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EFFERVESCENT AND EBULLIENT  (Read 15675 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:EFFERVESCENT AND EBULLIENT
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2004, 08:41:09 AM »

Good Morning!

I let myself sleep a full eight hours!  And I slept pretty soundly too.  And I feel so much better this morning than I did yesterday.  Shortly, I shall head back to my "practice room" in the living room, and start going through The Producers keyboard book again.  -Thankfully, the music did not run through my head keeping me up last night.  I'm feeling better about the keyboard book too.  Not so daunting again.

Well... I hope the New York Hainsies/Kimlets gathering at Barrymore's goes swimmingly this afternoon.  And let's hope someone has a camera!

Laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2004, 08:42:38 AM »

Alice Ripley looked great as Daisy Mae, and I think Dear Friend BK might have liked her better if the production had had a better director.

So, BK, how do we achieve a letterboxed DVD arrival of the 1959 film of LI'L ABNER?

Alice and Emily were over one night having dinner when we were doing Duets II, and she'd already played or was just about to play Daisy Mae.  I showed her my original panel of Abner art which features a huge closeup of Daisy Mae - she looked exactly like her.  I have no doubt a better director would have helped things.

I am hoping we see a lovely DVD of Abner next year - something crazy is going on with Li'l Abner - when I used to do my periodic searches on eBay, you could get anything you wanted no matter whether it was bargain-basement or expensive - no one was ever bidding.  In the last three months I have actually lost a few items, including a full-color show poster that I really wanted (that dear reader RLP pointed out to me).  It had a starting bid of 500 bucks, which I though outrageous.  It had no bids until the final day, and I decided I would go for it despite its outrageous cost.  Someone opened the bidding at five hundred, and I simply put in a top of a bit over six, figuring I'd get it for a little over five.  The poster, in the last seconds of the auction, went for twelve hundred bucks.  VHS copies of the film, which are easy and effortless to find and which shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks are suddenly going for twenty-five and above, whereas a few months ago they were either not selling or going cheap.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2004, 08:43:59 AM »

Dear Friend BK, your criticism of the Lelouch film was so interesting that I just bought it on eBay.  I look forward to watching it.  

Now I'm off to deal wuth Eubie Blake and Victor Herbert.  

I hope you got the Image DVD.  There seem to be quite a few available, including some bootleggy sounding ones.  The Image, while not perfect, is the three-hour version and is widescreen (imperative - it's a scope film).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2004, 08:45:39 AM »

His dig at Edwards re: never having met him before last night is very telling about the V.P.  Although he wanted the world to believe it was Edwards' failing that they'd never met, given that the V.P. presides over the Senate, the fact is that the V.P. is seldom essential to any Senatorial goings-on.  IMO, the President of the Senate is the one who should go out of his way to meet all the Senators...they're the only ones actually getting the work done and don't have time to pay court.

Accoring to an ABC News story , Cheney met Edwards at least three times.

I used to think that Cheney reminded me of Old Man Potter from It's A Wonderful Life, but anymore I find the veep so chilling in character that Mr. Potter is a cuddly teddy bear in comparison.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2004, 08:46:30 AM »

The touble is, I would bet that a director of a revival of L'il Abner in the current political clime would give in to the temptation to monkey with the book and weigh it down with so many anti-Bush references that the show would sink like a rock.  Is there a director out there who has the rightness of touch and would trust the material to work for itself?

Well, I've discussed this with a director/producer friend out here in LA, who, several years ago, tried to get the rights.  But they wouldn't give them to him because he wanted to rewrite the book.  The book, to my mind, is wonderful - the show is a period piece and I would keep it that way, and the fact that Mr. Mercer's then topical lyrics are so applicable to today's government would astonish people.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2004, 09:00:05 AM »

Re last night's posts: I've never before been referred to as a "morass of symptoms"...  I'm actually one of the healthiest people I know and I rarely think about or discuss the state of said health.
On a different note (b-flat) - I too want to see LES UNS ET LES AUTRES after reading the Notes. BTW - I think A MAN AND A WOMAN is the most gloriously romantic film ever. There was a time in my life when hardly a day went by that I didn't put on the soundtrack LP.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2004, 09:14:16 AM »

Re: the grammar thing.  Woody, I could slow down and re-read, as you suggested last night, but then posting here would become like work.  

My business is crafting words.  I spend all day meticulously bumping one word against another and figuring out the complexities of phrase and sentence construction.  When I post here or elsewhere, then I'm spewing this stuff out in a stream-of-conscious style and I'm not stopping for the finer points of grammar, spelling, or even typos.  Occasionally, I re-read stuff and catch a mistake or I'll go back to a post and notice an error and will modify the post.  But as long as the post is vaguely coherent (no strange nonsensical substitions like "hint" for "heat"...it's stuff like that makes me think I'm dsylexic) and gets the idea across, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff and will hope twenty years of developing a writing style will pretty much take care of itself and express my thoughts adequately.

I could sit here for hours and agonize over the 'mot juste' and the preciseness of my phrasing, but I have a life...and, nice though it may be, I can't dawdle here all day.

BK, I agree absolutely about Li'l Abner's book.  It has never been more timely.  It doesn't even need to be played as a period piece, really.  The satire, as you say, is still fresh and applicable to today.  I think it's ripe for a revival.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2004, 09:19:01 AM »

BK-

Very interesting...

In the credits to ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND it says"Lyrics and Words by Irving Berlin" Isn't that a turnaround?
However,come to think of it when Hollywood did the story(or did in the story) of Rodgers and Hart the movie was called WORDS AND MUSIC.

What say you on this subject.???

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2004, 09:19:46 AM »

Re: Jen C getting fired twice on The Apprentice.

When the show aired I wasn't sure how I felt.  Jen C didn't really come across that well, always yapping.

But since then I have seen her do two interviews.  And now I truly believe that most of the negative press towards her is because of the show's editing.

I've always known that they can edit things to make them look a certain way.   All they need to do is take comments out of context or put two different clips back to back to make them look like they are happening together.

Anyhow after hearing Jen C talk I really feel bad for her.  She seems really nice, and she was apologetic.

She also said that there was much the editing didn't show, including a follow-up discussion between her and little Stacie where all was forgiven.

As well, half of Jen C's family is Jewish.  And she was shocked to see herself portrayed as a bigot.

After hearing her side I think the situation resulted from her using a poor choice of words, combined with them editing her as the bad person.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 09:21:37 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2004, 09:26:40 AM »

Re: complaining here about spelling/grammar/typos.

I think there is a difference between mentioning a typo vs being mean when it's obvious the person knows how to spell the word.

Is it just me, but I would actually like to know if I spell a word incorrectly.  But I also agree that we shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2004, 09:35:45 AM »

BK-

Very interesting...

In the credits to ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND it says"Lyrics and Words by Irving Berlin" Isn't that a turnaround?
However,come to think of it when Hollywood did the story(or did in the story) of Rodgers and Hart the movie was called WORDS AND MUSIC.

What say you on this subject.???

Lyrics and Words?  That can't be right can it?  I prefer Music and Lyrics to Words and Music.  Don't know why, really.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2004, 09:40:03 AM »

Darn!  Well....the internet could help you find out about former occupants...or a enquiry to your realtor.  WE MUST KNOW!!!

I too bought the film talked about in the notes....found it on Ebay for 21.95 including priority shipping.  Restored, 3 hour version, widescreen, stereo....  Hmmmmmmmm.....can hardly wait!

Lelouch should send you a check MR BK!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2004, 09:43:21 AM »

I want to know who BK's celeb landlord is....so that is my BK question of the day!

I don't believe any celebrities ever lived in my house...maybe poor relations of the people who owned the mansion that sits directly across the street from me!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2004, 09:49:03 AM »

It's not even about hurting one's feelings.  I'm tough. I can take it.  People should be allowed to speak their minds and not mince words.  If someone is so delicate they can't take it or wants to construe it as a personal attack, well, that's their issue.

The spelling imbroglio last night was a particular strategy in the spirited debate.  I was having a general discussion of politics and expressing some views that probably rankled some.  In responding to the issues of my post, it was also decided to nitpick my grammatical sloppiness. And that's okay too! And a perfectly legitimate form of response.  I responded to that and defended my position on that issue.  

My feelings weren't hurt, I hold no grudges, and I didn't lose any sleep over any of this.  All rather small potatoes.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 09:57:37 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2004, 10:06:15 AM »

My question for Ask BK Day:  When can we expect the next edition of Worst Cast Scenario here at HHW.com?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2004, 10:07:12 AM »

But since then I have seen her do two interviews.  And now I truly believe that most of the negative press towards her is because of the show's editing.

I've always known that they can edit things to make them look a certain way.   All they need to do is take comments out of context or put two different clips back to back to make them look like they are happening together.

Yes, Jerri Manthey, one of "Survivor's" notorious b-i-zitches, blamed editing for making her look bad.  Truth is, she has been on several TV shows since and has never looked one bit better, or more tolerable, than she was on "Survivor."

I think the truth is there for all to see.  They may show only the bad stuff, true...but it's the bad stuff everyone else reacted to and despised her for.  We just got the concentrated version of it.

And I know from "nice"...we have someone who works here who is the image of super-wonderful butter-would-melt smarminess...but in truth, she's a scheming connniver and nobody who has ever had to rely on her trusts her.  Yet she still manages to wrap others around her little finger because they don't have to work with her.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2004, 10:09:24 AM »

Re: Nitpicking.  Not one person who has corrected another on this here board has gone without making a mistake or two of his own.

Not one.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2004, 10:15:09 AM »

Puts down his stone.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2004, 10:24:07 AM »

I received a rather odd letter in the mail yesterday. The local funeral parlor is offering me a 5% discount if I have a funeral by the end of the month.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2004, 10:24:11 AM »

I want to know who BK's celeb landlord is....so that is my BK question of the day!

A young actor named James Marsden who I don't really know.  I think he's in the X Men films.  Haven't met him yet but will in the next couple of weeks.  He and his wife and child moved to a bigger home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2004, 10:24:42 AM »

My question for Ask BK Day:  When can we expect the next edition of Worst Cast Scenario here at HHW.com?

Soon.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2004, 10:32:35 AM »

I am so bored with being at work today that I can hardly stand it!

Emily

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2004, 10:49:40 AM »

If I have to write one more page of a paper on absolutely mind-boggling boring text... I will... I will...

I'll cry... :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2004, 10:53:09 AM »

The touble is, I would bet that a director of a revival of L'il Abner in the current political clime would give in to the temptation to monkey with the book and weigh it down with so many anti-Bush references that the show would sink like a rock.  Is there a director out there who has the rightness of touch and would trust the material to work for itself?

Yes, DR DTM, there is and I'm urging Mr Kimmel to pursue all directing venues.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2004, 10:57:25 AM »

You know, the first play I was ever in (in High School) was LIL ABNER...perhaps I could reprise my role of Dogpatch man #14.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2004, 11:00:48 AM »

I received a rather odd letter in the mail yesterday. The local funeral parlor is offering me a 5% discount if I have a funeral by the end of the month.

I have a list for you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2004, 11:01:43 AM »

A young actor named James Marsden who I don't really know.  I think he's in the X Men films.  Haven't met him yet but will in the next couple of weeks.  He and his wife and child moved to a bigger home.

He also played one of the boyfriends of the oldest daughter in THE NANNY.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »

Re: James Marsden

He was also on Ally McBeal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »

Never watched The Nanny.  I've seen the FILM The Nanny with Miss Bette Davis and Miss Pamela Franklin.  

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2004, 11:57:31 AM »

DR Emily, did your friend find her dog?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up