Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EFFERVESCENT AND EBULLIENT  (Read 15607 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EFFERVESCENT AND EBULLIENT
« on: October 06, 2004, 12:00:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're now effervescent and ebullient, not necessarily in that order, and now it is time to post until the E & E cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 12:00:18 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:EFFERVESCENT AND EBULLIENT
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 12:05:58 AM »

Re the late postings, I'm going to ask once again to stop with the nitpicking on grammar and spelling, it's REALLY annoying and we are not about annoying here, even if we don't always agree.  Especially when people have explained themselves it seems churlish to then keep on about it.  So, halt, put the brakes on, knock it off, not necessarily in that order.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »

I taped the debate and will watch it...sometime.  I taped it off of C-SPAN and it was joined in progress.  I have to check to see if it repeats it right away.  It’s replaying right now, so I think that I got it all.

Also, for any sports fans (if any at all), I was errant and truant tonight because I was at the Seattle Storm women's basketball game against the Sacramento Monarchs.  They won the Western Division Championship and at the end of the week will play for the WNBA Final!  They won 82-62!!  Just had to share. ;D

Also, while I was in Seattle, I stopped at a Tower Records and FINALLY got The Manhattan Transfer's brand new CD "Vibrate"!!!!  I went to at least six different places here in Olympia and NO ONE had it!!   I knew that I could get it on-line, but for some reason, I just didn't want to get it that way.  I wanted to hold it while in a store and buy it.  And I did!!  I'll be listening to it at work in the morning. ;D :-* ;D :-* ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 12:14:54 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 12:15:17 AM »

Good night, All!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 12:16:38 AM »

Oh, and S. Woody, as long as we're nitpicking, have you ever finished Kritzer Time, yes or no?  If you did, you could have died with your secret.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 12:41:34 AM »

As a matter of fact, no, I have not finished Kritzer Time.  I accidentally picked up the book and read a passage towards the end, which involved a major plot point, very spoiler-ish.

This wouldn't have been so bad, but I had been working on a story of my own, based on my own high school memories.  In my outlining of the story, a similar major plot point was to occur.

I've been avoiding Kritzer Time since then.  At first I told myself that I was avoiding your story because I didn't want to plagerize your work, but the fact is that from the beginning I found it uncomfortably close to my own life.  Worse, I realized that my own story was a cheat, dishonest.

So, I've set aside your novel for now, as well as my own story.  When I've matured a bit more, I'll return to them both.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 12:55:12 AM »

Totally different subject:

BK, I know you love the musical L'il Abner.  Der Brucer and I were listening to the CD today while driving about the state, and it's growing on me.

(Meaning my appreciation of the score is growing.  Otherwise, that last sentence sounds fungal.)

Der B and I were both taken with how well the humor in the score holds up today.  "The Country's In the Very Best of Hands" and particularly "Oh, Happy Day" are chillingly close to current events.

So, BK, a question: If you were directing a revival of L'il Abner today, who would you want to cast in the various roles?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 01:05:31 AM »

I thought the Encores casting of Alice Ripley was perfect until I heard a CD of it - for whatever reason, she wasn't so hot sounding in the role, even though she looks just like Al Capp's drawing of Daisy.  My instinct is that I'd go with unknowns for Daisy and Abner.  There are any number of people who could play the Howard St. John role (David Ogden Stiers was very funny in the Encores version).  It would be fun at some point to really DO a revival - not change the book at all, just really find great people for it and do it - I think it would be a hit.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 01:10:41 AM »

Oh, BK, with my own story I was also guilty of doing the reverse-people's-initials-for-names thing.  Since my initial outline for my story was written over five years ago, this isn't copying...but it sure comes across like it.

Like minds, in uncomfortable ways.

At least you got there first.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 01:13:40 AM »

What about Marryin' Sam?  Is there anyone out there who can match Stubby Kaye, without copying Stubby Kaye?  A little star power might help, of course.  But stunt casting, like Lea DeLauria, doesn't feel right.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 01:15:52 AM »

I'll be back tomorrow.  I've got to wussburger, and then do some research on Dalmatians, especially if we're going to have two in the house.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 02:19:37 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm.....I must go find the movie that MR BK is talking about in the notes.  "The Bolero" is one of my favorite pieces of music, and I have choreographed it a hundred different ways in my mind.

Hmmmmmm.....oh yes LiL ABNER would be a hit.  I don't know who I would cast.  Although, I think we have done this "for real" for "for horrible" here on HHW.  I like the idea of newcomers as Daisy and Abner.  Hmmmmm....Sam.....hmmmmmmmmm....well NOT Val Kilmer!

My question for ASK BK day.....we know that you have a celebrity landlord.  Do you know of any other celebrity connections to your new house?  Have any other celebs (besides your notable self of course) resided at said abode?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 02:20:47 AM »

DRGEORGE, I know just what you mean.  I do MOST of my buying online, but there are some things I want to go into a store and hold in my hand, pay for, and bring home.

It is really a strange feeling now, an almost foreign one for me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 06:04:05 AM »

For Ask BK Day---
Do you ever buy a DVD when it comes out and then never seem to get a chance to watch it?  I try to get new releases of films I want to see while they are still available and I am thinking of them, but the number of new DVDs I buy is often out of proportion with the amount of time I have for DVD watching, and I would estimate that I have at least 100 titles that I want to watch but have not been able to squeeze in.  Does this happen to you too?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 06:27:00 AM »

Thank you for your concern about upstate New York Hainsies, DR SWW.  It was very much apprectiated that you noted, like some other segments of society, we truly are everywhere!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 06:27:48 AM »

Good morning, all!  I too thought the debates came off as a draw.  I got the impression that Mr Kerry was hoping to bait Mr Cheney into flying iff the handle and showing his more unattractive side(s).  Alas, it didn't happen, but I did enjoy it immensely.  I see things got rather testier last night after I was unconscious - critics, feel free to drop in and state that's all the time with me - and I see that I was reprimanded by DRSWW for calling our dinner tonight an "East Coast" one, so I do apologize for that;  I wish other New Yorkers like DRJenny  were showing up as well, but I was incorrect in calling it an East Coast event.  

But, since SWW was being picky, especially about DRPogue's grammar and spelling, I have to correct an error: the word is spelled "plagiarize."  I admit my glass house is shattered from the rocks I've thrown.

DRSWW, I really wanted to like Encores! LI'L ABNER, but it was horribly cast and so a lot of numbers were transposed, which affects the original orchestration and Philip J Lang is not around to rescore, and I have no idea who performed that job.  Lea DeLaria was a butch Marryin' Sam, but I sure missed Stubby Kaye's tenor.  In terms of current casting, all the Broadway juveniles attend the gym regularly, so I don't think there would be too many problems finding an Abner.  Alice Ripley looked great as Daisy Mae, and I think Dear Friend BK might have liked her better if the production had had a better director.

So, BK, how do we achieve a letterboxed DVD arrival of the 1959 film of LI'L ABNER?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 06:31:32 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 06:33:36 AM »

Thank you for your concern about upstate New York Hainsies, DR SWW.  It was very much apprectiated that you noted, like some other segments of society, we truly are everywhere!

DRStuart, would that you were in our company tonight!  My apologies for excluding you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 06:59:11 AM »

Dear Friend BK, your criticism of the Lelouch film was so interesting that I just bought it on eBay.  I look forward to watching it.  

Now I'm off to deal wuth Eubie Blake and Victor Herbert.  

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 07:17:17 AM »

I too thought BK's description of Les Uns et les Autres sounded fascinating and I will be looking for it myself! That scene that you described, BK, gave me goose-pimples!

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 07:45:08 AM »

Question for those who watched last week's Apprentice.  What did you think about Jen C's remarks?  And the fact that she got fired from her REAL job for her remarks.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 07:45:13 AM »

I thought the Encores casting of Alice Ripley was perfect until I heard a CD of it - for whatever reason, she wasn't so hot sounding in the role, even though she looks just like Al Capp's drawing of Daisy.  My instinct is that I'd go with unknowns for Daisy and Abner.  There are any number of people who could play the Howard St. John role (David Ogden Stiers was very funny in the Encores version).  It would be fun at some point to really DO a revival - not change the book at all, just really find great people for it and do it - I think it would be a hit.

The touble is, I would bet that a director of a revival of L'il Abner in the current political clime would give in to the temptation to monkey with the book and weigh it down with so many anti-Bush references that the show would sink like a rock.  Is there a director out there who has the rightness of touch and would trust the material to work for itself?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2004, 08:02:48 AM »

The touble is, I would bet that a director of a revival of L'il Abner in the current political clime would give in to the temptation to monkey with the book and weigh it down with so many anti-Bush references that the show would sink like a rock.  Is there a director out there who has the rightness of touch and would trust the material to work for itself?

Maybe the guy who directed that What If revue on the coast would trust it.

Or maybe (God willing) we won't have W. Bush to kick around any more.

And the contemporary references seem to have done nothing to help The Frogs achieve much success, so perhaps there's a lesson in that.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 08:14:42 AM »

Question for those who watched last week's Apprentice.  What did you think about Jen C's remarks?  And the fact that she got fired from her REAL job for her remarks.

I'm betting that her performance/remarks crystallized, for her real boss, complaints that he'd received in the real work place about similar traits he had not seen and had not been able to give full credence to until now.

She seems to be a disturbed person, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 08:16:02 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2004, 08:27:28 AM »

Re: Last night's debate -- It's amazing how differently people see the same thing.  I've heard a lot of criticism about Edwards' bulldog approach in not letting one issue go after another issue had been introduced.

I've heard criticism of his everpresent smile in face of criticism by the V.P.

What I've yet to hear is what I observed:  A recalcitrant, petulant Cheney, whose monotonic barrage of words seldom added up to anything more than party propaganda.

I heard someone call him the most powerful V.P. in U.S. history.  That may be very true.  He may, in fact, be propping up the puppet president who seems to have someone pulling his strings.

His dig at Edwards re: never having met him before last night is very telling about the V.P.  Although he wanted the world to believe it was Edwards' failing that they'd never met, given that the V.P. presides over the Senate, the fact is that the V.P. is seldom essential to any Senatorial goings-on.  IMO, the President of the Senate is the one who should go out of his way to meet all the Senators...they're the only ones actually getting the work done and don't have time to pay court.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 08:29:59 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 08:31:53 AM »

Maybe the guy who directed that What If revue on the coast would trust it.

D'oh!  I originally included a "present company excluded" phrase in there, but I rewrote the post and it got dropped.  I need an editor!

Or maybe (God willing) we won't have W. Bush to kick around any more.

That's what I'm hoping for.  But it's possible that a director would be just as willing to target a democratic administration.

And the contemporary references seem to have done nothing to help The Frogs achieve much success, so perhaps there's a lesson in that.

On one level, I didn't mind the obvious references in The Frogs because I knew that Lane was trying to emulate Aristophanes' similar use of such diatribes in the original play.  But they never really work, delivered as they are out front and heavy-handedly to the audience.  The lines tend to stop the show cold.  The same thing was accomplished much more adeptly in the finale, a simple musical plea to the audience to go out and effect political change.  It was a beautiful little moment that didn't hit the crowd on the head with message.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 08:32:38 AM »

DR Elmore took the words right out of my mouth. The male ensembles of almost all Broadway shows you attend now are LOADED with well muscled hunks, many of whom could don Abner's patched overalls and fill them wonderfully. My first community theater show as an adult was LI'L ABNER, so it's always been close to my heart. And the movie is loads of fun. Sure wish Paramount would do the right thing, clean it up, and release it on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 08:34:23 AM »

My question for ASK BK day.....we know that you have a celebrity landlord.  Do you know of any other celebrity connections to your new house?  Have any other celebs (besides your notable self of course) resided at said abode?

I don't know the history of the house at all - it would be fun to, although I also like mystery rather than history.  

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2004, 08:35:35 AM »

And here-here to bk for emphasizing his desires about nitpicking spelling and grammar here. We come here for fun. Sometimes, when I'm trying to make an important point, I will proofread very carefully, but often I type away and then hit post pretty hurriedly. I'm a very sloppy typist and not always the best speller either, and the quickest way to make this site NOT a fun place to be would be if one had to worry about someone correcting spelling and syntax.

Thanks for reiterating that, bk.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2004, 08:35:58 AM »

For Ask BK Day---
Do you ever buy a DVD when it comes out and then never seem to get a chance to watch it?  I try to get new releases of films I want to see while they are still available and I am thinking of them, but the number of new DVDs I buy is often out of proportion with the amount of time I have for DVD watching, and I would estimate that I have at least 100 titles that I want to watch but have not been able to squeeze in.  Does this happen to you too?

Yes, I'm afraid I've got DVDs that are three and four years old that I haven't gotten around to yet.  I do try to watch them as I get them, and I do try to occasionally go back and catch up, but unless I had a six month vacation I don't know that that will be happening.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 08:48:46 AM by bk »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2004, 08:39:38 AM »

On my DVD agenda today: ALADDIN. I canot wait to hear the revamped surround sound through my system. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and THE LION KING both blew me away. I'm expecting a similar reaction to ALADDIN.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up