Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET  (Read 19393 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2004, 06:43:52 PM »

So,

You Had To Wash That Dust Right Out Of Your Hair?? :D

;D  I sure did.

We went out for dinner and had a very nice time.  I'm wearing a black turtle neck top and a very pretty butterfly necklace with a coordinating set of ear rings I purchased in Budapest.  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 07:03:59 PM by Jane »

td

• td
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2004, 06:49:58 PM »

These Saturday night gadabouts (of which I'm about to be one) better get their butt cheeks in here when they return from gadabouting.

I was a gadabout.  I was at, let's see. . .The Mars National Bank (no kidding), Wal*Mart, where I purchased three new shirts as well as the SHREK 2  Soundtrack, then at Borders where, appropriately enough, where I picked up the dvd of DAMN YANKEES.  (well, I also got WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO AUNT HELEN and MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS) as well as the special Biblical issue of U. S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT.  And that's the report of this gadabout.

Has any dear reader seen THE GRISSOM GANG?  I noticed that it was out on dvd and it's also an Aldrich film, but, I didn't know if it was worth a blind buy.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2004, 06:51:16 PM »

PAGE FIVE DANCE!

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2004, 06:53:40 PM »

Jennifer I personally enjoy a separation between the holidays, just not as much as we will have this year.

Bryan’s birthday is Dec. 23rd and one year it fell on the first night of Chanukah-too close to Christmas for my liking.  Maybe Chanukah and birthday gifts don’t belong under a Christmas tree but that is where they were.  The kids arrived for his birthday party and kept commenting it looked like Santa had arrived already.  I still remember how exhausted I was by the 26th.  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2004, 06:54:10 PM »

I don't like the word "hate" so I won't mention what I don't care for; waste of time and not constructive!
How can anyone "hate" a musical, anyway, unless it offends decency and intelligence?
AT LAST!  Someone who also doesn't like the word "hate," which has to be one of the most over-used (and abused) words in the English language.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2004, 06:58:19 PM »

François & SWW I can’t recall hating a musical – bored, or extremely bored works.  Now love, yes I have loved some.  The problem is we don’t have enough words in the English language to express different levels of love.  How many do you have in French?

Jane

« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2004, 07:04:54 PM »

Off to change into my comfy new pair of pj's, cuddle with the guys and watch VANITY FAIR.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2004, 07:21:26 PM »

I've seen Follies twice - original London production and that Roundabout revival from the balcony.  I've read the book and played through the score.  A lot of people I respect say that the original Broadway production, directed by both Michael Bennett and Harold Prince, was among the greatest musicals ever.  And I still doubt it, because, no matter how you dress it up, it's still about middle-aged dweebs regretting their life choices.  If it's entertaining, it's entertaining in SPITE of that.
Noel, I think you've missed the point of Follies entirely.  Of the entire cast of characters, only the central four regret their life choices.  Everyone else celebrates how their lives have gone.  Sally, Ben, Buddy and Phyllis are all in stark contrast to their peers, who have all gone on with their lives, through their ups and down, and are satisfied with the results.  What Follies is about, and what the Loveland sequence points out, is the folly of regretting what has past instead of living in the present.  I'm surprised you missed that.

I would probably put Follies in my second tier of favorite shows, both because of it's score and it's complex book.  While I doubt anyone will ever be able to mount it as magnificently as Prince did originally, and I therefor won't be able to enjoy a physical production to the degree that I've enjoyed my readings and listening to the score, that doesn't diminish my love of the show one whit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2004, 07:25:34 PM »

Adore, cherish, appreciate, prize, delight in, dote on, worship, treasure, revere, idolize, exalt, admire...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2004, 07:31:35 PM »

Maybe my indifference to La Cage is that I have never really understood the whole gay fascination for drag and drag queens.
Neither do some of us who are gay.  
I've never seen much talent displayed in dressing up as a woman and lip-synching to records.  
I suggest you not watch Saturday Night Live, then.   ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2004, 07:34:58 PM »

Now, what if... we were to combine La Cage and Follies!!

Hmmmmm....
I think it's been done more than once, on gay motorcycle club runs.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2004, 07:40:56 PM »

Eric, our Richie, ended up having a torn muscle in his leg, so he's out for the final shows.  And since his understudy is also out, the other swing went on.  Parker is doing a great job, and we all wish Eric a speedy and complete recovery.  -He'll be flying back tomorrow morning so that he can see his doctor back home in NYC first thing Monday morning.  -Oh, and Parker came in today at 10:00 and learned his new track.  Go!  *But it is quite interesting having a white Richie... "... and I'm white!"  -No, we didn't change that line in the "roll call".  :P
This is bringing on Lend Me a Tenor resonances.

Vibes to Eric and his understudy, and to Parker to "break a leg."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2004, 07:45:29 PM »

I don't know either!
My guess is that a lot of gay men would like to be .... women in some way! They like the grotesque side of it too...
The second reason is far more likely.  In every survey I've come across, gay men do NOT want to be women, other than a significantly small minority.

For that matter, lesbians do not want to be men, either.

François de Paris

« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2004, 07:52:20 PM »

François & SWW I can’t recall hating a musical – bored, or extremely bored works.  Now love, yes I have loved some.  The problem is we don’t have enough words in the English language to express different levels of love.  How many do you have in French?

I guess SWW has answered you partly; both languages, I guess, have the same amount of words and expressions for human feelings; it's just that we don't seem to care to use them!
In a negative form, we can say; I don't care for, I abhor, I detest, I dislike....
Just "hate" in connection to a work like a play, a book, a film, a musical seems a little excessive to me, in general!
I can hate people but something static?!
I'm being picky, I know!

P.S.: I hope you don't hate me for saying that!? ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2004, 07:57:14 PM »

cuddle with the guys

Hmmm...

I should have known you were one of those women!
Such a flirt! :o ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2004, 08:03:14 PM »

I prefer to use "hate" in the context of people like the "Reverend" Fred Phelps, people who actually preach hatred and get a sickening joy out of that emotion.  To say something like "I hate sweet potatoes" takes the reality out of the word.

We've had enough of the real thing during this past election, I think.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2004, 08:06:34 PM »

Had no interest in THE INVISIBLE MAN or MUMMY Legacy sets. I had already bought the films in those series that I wanted when they were first released, and I don't care for some of the sequels. I'll keep what I've got with them.

Watched TV tonight instead of a DVD since I was catching up on reruns that I hadn't seen - especially LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2004, 08:11:13 PM »

Looks like I will finally get to STAR WARS (IV) tomorrow (and possibly THE EMPIRE STRIKRES BACK as well). Looking forward to seeing and hearing what's been done with them since I last saw the laserdiscs (which were the original films, of course). I never saw the revamped reissues in the late 1990s that made so much money.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »

I'm back and to prove it, I'm here.  I am so full it's not even funny.  We had a lovely time.  As we were placing our drink orders, Miss Leelee Sobieski and friend (girl) walked down our aisle.  She's so cute - and TALL, really really tall.  Now, here's the thing: She happens to be the star of the Hercules mini-series, upcoming on NBC, that our very own Pogue wrote.  But he'd never met her.  I suggested we grab her and the lovely Julieanne was all for it.  Then she walked back down our aisle and apparently out of the restaurant.  Perhaps the wait was too long, although there were several empty tables when she arrived.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2004, 09:33:17 PM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  My goodness, apparently there are quite a few Saturday night denizens - come on in, the posting's fine.  We'll be friendly, promise.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2004, 09:34:50 PM »

Isn't that funny?  The minute I post that there are ten GUESTS, three of them disappear.  We don't bite here, really.  Unless we like you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2004, 09:36:54 PM »

I am my own frenzy.  Oh, and after a long absence, the merry searchers have returned - apparently we're right up their ALLEY.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

My, my, my, what an invigorating topic for a Saturday!  Is it possible that it is Sweeps Month here at HHW???  I must confess that by the time I had read through the first two pages of posts, there were so many variations on a theme (Musicals seen on tour only, Musicals originally hated before being seen, Musicals first listened to after a bottle of scotch) that I had to reread the notes just to remember what the original topics were.

Well, anyway, risking life and limb, my list of favorite musicals (in no particular order):

1)   SWEENEY TODD
2)   SHE LOVES ME
3)   HELLO DOLLY
4)   TITANIC
5)   CAROUSEL
6)   A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
7)   RAGTIME
8 )   GYPSY
9)   FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
10)   A FUNNY THING HAPPENED….

FOLLIES would definitely be on my list, if it weren’t for the last half of the Second Act.  I love the score, I even love the characters, but when the show hits Loveland, it falls apart.  Granted, I never saw the original Broadway production, or even the London revival, but I completely fell out of the mood of the show when it reached that point.

Most over-rated show it would have to be either RENT or CATS.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2004, 09:40:58 PM »

I say, we're right up their ALLEY.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2004, 09:48:34 PM »

Noel, I think you've missed the point of Follies entirely.  Of the entire cast of characters, only the central four regret their life choices.  Everyone else celebrates how their lives have gone.  Sally, Ben, Buddy and Phyllis are all in stark contrast to their peers, who have all gone on with their lives, through their ups and down, and are satisfied with the results.  What Follies is about, and what the Loveland sequence points out, is the folly of regretting what has past instead of living in the present.  I'm surprised you missed that.

You think I've missed something?  Whatever do you think I missed?

I missed the grandeur of the original production, and the brilliance of the original Broadway stars.

Follies spends most of its time on four characters.  I'm well aware that they stand in marked contrast to the minor characters like Hattie, Carlotta and Dmitri who don't regret their lives for a moment.

But Ben, Sally, Phyllis and Buddy do.  At length.  Loudly and often.  Have they learned anything by the end?  It's doubtful, but open for interpretation.

I don't go to the theatre to see characters whine at me.  It's why I loathed The Secret Garden.  It's a main reason I couldn't get in to Rent.  The whining thing is not my idea of a good time.

I'd rather see characters learn from each other, overcome whatever adversities they can, and move on.  If Follies focussed on Carlotta and Hattie and put the regretful quartet in the background, I'd have liked it a whole lot better.

And do not misinterpret me as saying everything should be happy.  Tragic things can happen.  Look at Porgy.  He gets Bess to love him and then she runs off with a drug dealer.  Do we have to listen to him whine about it?  Nope.  He's On His Way, ever-faithful that the Lord will lead him to her.  It breaks my heart, and I love it.

Now, really, what terrible tragedies do the Follies four endure?  Well, one should have worn green.  And they're in troubled marriages they don't bother to leave.  Boo-hoo, I say!  Boo f-ing hoo!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2004, 09:57:44 PM »

I'm with Pogue - the joys of drag have always eluded me.  For some, La cage aux folles was a revelation: men being affectionate with each other on stage.  But hadn't The World's Sexiest Man sung the gay love duet Why Can't the World Leave Us Alone a few years earlier?  And, the gay relationship I absolutely loved seeing, years before La cage, was March of the Falsettos.  Real, tender, compelling.  And there's only drag in the nightmare of the title song.  La cage aux folles seemed like old hat when it premiered, and I don't have high hopes for its revival now.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2004, 09:59:36 PM »

You think I've missed something?  Whatever do you think I missed?

I missed the grandeur of the original production, and the brilliance of the original Broadway stars.

Follies spends most of its time on four characters.  I'm well aware that they stand in marked contrast to the minor characters like Hattie, Carlotta and Dmitri who don't regret their lives for a moment.

But Ben, Sally, Phyllis and Buddy do.  At length.  Loudly and often.  Have they learned anything by the end?  It's doubtful, but open for interpretation.

I don't go to the theatre to see characters whine at me.  It's why I loathed The Secret Garden.  It's a main reason I couldn't get in to Rent.  The whining thing is not my idea of a good time.

I'd rather see characters learn from each other, overcome whatever adversities they can, and move on.  If Follies focussed on Carlotta and Hattie and put the regretful quartet in the background, I'd have liked it a whole lot better.

And do not misinterpret me as saying everything should be happy.  Tragic things can happen.  Look at Porgy.  He gets Bess to love him and then she runs off with a drug dealer.  Do we have to listen to him whine about it?  Nope.  He's On His Way, ever-faithful that the Lord will lead him to her.  It breaks my heart, and I love it.

Now, really, what terrible tragedies do the Follies four endure?  Well, one should have worn green.  And they're in troubled marriages they don't bother to leave.  Boo-hoo, I say!  Boo f-ing hoo!

So, how do you really feel, Noel?
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2004, 10:04:04 PM »

Woody, I've never thought it took much talent for so-called rock stars to lip-synch either.  I did see the gaffe on Saturday Night Live and was greatly amused.  It's amazing to me what today's audiences will accept as entertainment.  

Correlating to fake singing, we were going through Hotspur's hand-me-down t-shirts (for those cold winter nights) for Tewkesbury and came across one we had made up that said:  "I sang for Milli Vanilli".  Another one said:  "I killed Laura Palmer."  Who'd have thunk I'd find bygone cultural references on old dog shirts.

Dinner was swell and fun as always at Musso's and it's always wonderful to watch Mr. BK down about three bowls of Thousand Island dressing with his meal.  One day he should make it just his meal.  (In fairness to him, it is the best Thousand Island dressing in the world...which is why it must be 8,000 calories a bowl.).  But he was as ever witty and droll and more charming dinner companion I and The Lovely wife could not ask for.

He also showed us a copy of his handsome new book!  Very Stylish!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2004, 10:10:31 PM »

Good evening, all. I have been having some severe allergies lately, hence my being e&t.

Tonight I went for a walk, and I heard some owls Hoo-hoo-ing. I looked up and saw them sitting on a phone pole in the ALLEY. Isn't that exciting?

I will define my favorite musicals as those for which I would buy tickets again if I saw them advertised:
Phantom of the Opera
Lucky Stiff
She Loves Me
Will Rogers Follies
Scarlet Pimpernel
Forever Plaid
Guys and Dolls
Crazy For You
Les Miserables
Beauty and The Beast
La Cage
Damn  Yankees
Arturo Braccheti (or something like that)

Tickets I would give away if they were part of my season ticket package:
Cabaret (and I have)
RENT
The Graduate (I have some -- anybody want them?)
Starlight Express
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 10:12:01 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

François de Paris

« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2004, 10:32:34 PM »

I'm with Pogue - the joys of drag have always eluded me.  For some, La cage aux folles was a revelation: men being affectionate with each other on stage.  But hadn't The World's Sexiest Man sung the gay love duet Why Can't the World Leave Us Alone a few years earlier?  And, the gay relationship I absolutely loved seeing, years before La cage, was March of the Falsettos.  Real, tender, compelling.  And there's only drag in the nightmare of the title song.  La cage aux folles seemed like old hat when it premiered, and I don't have high hopes for its revival now.

My, dear reader Noël, for someone who doesn't care for characters who WHINE in musicals, you're very good at whining yourself in this site environment!
We do know now what you don't like and I gather there's more in store!

La Cage is traditional French farce -- the musical, a little less!
It's meant for ENTERTAINMENT! For fun! OK, you don't like men in drags, but this is not a serious issue!
The music is happy; the characters are silly, happy and gay!
It's for joy -- maybe for Joy too!

Cheer up, Noël!
I know you're a pleasant man yourself -- Larry M. has confided that in me!
 ;)
Please, stop your complaining!
One would think Dubya still is the President of your country! :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 10:47:22 PM by François de Paris »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up