Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER  (Read 21944 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2004, 05:40:12 PM »

Here it is:

Okay, here’s my dilemma for review by the Official HainesHisWay Ethics and Morals Committee that I mentioned last night:  I rent my house from my sister.  I have a housemate (strictly platonic) who makes about half as much money as I do.  Knowing this when we moved in together, I said that I would pay more rent (about 60/40), otherwise we split the utilities in half.  My sister has refinanced her new home and doesn’t have to make one month’s payment, so for Christmas, she said that she would accept only half of this month’s payment from me (us).  Now my dilemma:  Should I tell my housemate nothing and let him pay his full rent?  This is where The Committee is needed because it's really the only Christmas gift I'm getting from my sister.  Since her gift is in the form of a discount of rent (it amounts to several hundred dollars), am I obligated to pass this on to my housemate?  If so, how much less should my housemate pay?  Should we just split the discount in half or each pay half of what we currently pay or some other ratio?  That’s my quandary.  Any suggestions?? :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2004, 05:40:17 PM »

The most wonderful thing has happened!  I just pray it continues.  Just now Echo got up without any assistance,  :Dcame into the office and barked at me to let her out on the deck.

It must be all those good vibes she received.

George

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2004, 05:41:07 PM »

The most wonderful thing has happened!  I just pray it continues.  Just now Echo got up without any assistance,  :Dcame into the office and barked at me to let her out on the deck.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2004, 05:42:41 PM »

Thanks George.

George

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

Well, I'm off work now, so it's Suppertime! (an Irving Berlin AND a You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown reference).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2004, 05:54:55 PM »

Way to go, Echo!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2004, 06:00:36 PM »

Nurse Jane, that's wonderful!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2004, 06:08:59 PM »

Things sound great DRJANE.  Thanks for the Holly vibes DRMBARNUM....we should know something tomorrow.

Well - so is your friend going to do the Artwork for the poster for said movie, MRBK?

I just watched LOST....hmmmmmmmm....I think I like it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2004, 06:17:23 PM »

Glad to hear Echo is doing better tonight.

DR Jane, I don't decorate until the last few days before Christmas. Actually, we haven't even put the tree up for a couple years, since DR Sandra and I have taken Christmas trips, usually arriving home on Christmas Eve Day. I'm not even sure Dear Kitty Joshie has ever seen a Christmas tree.

This year the Christmas stuff is in cabinets that are blocked by church office stuff.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2004, 06:23:18 PM »

My ask BK question #1

Re: Your Hello, Dolly CD

1) Whose decision was to add the tapping dancing to the recording and is it a true representation of the actual choreography?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2004, 06:26:06 PM »

Hello, Dolly Question #2

2) You recorded the Waiter's Gallop, but not the Dance/Polka Contest, why?

2a) Originally there was a musical number called, "Come Be My Butterfly" that was replaced by the Dance/Polka contest. Did you ever see the this musical number and do you know why it was replaced?

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2004, 06:28:56 PM »

Hello, Dolly Question #3

3) What exactly is Bob Merrill's contributions to the songs, "Motherhood" and "Elegance"? Did he write the entire songs of parts of them?

3a) And why after all these years is he not acknowledge in programs, recordings and reference books as the author or co-acuthor?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2004, 06:32:04 PM »

Hello, Dolly Question #4

4) Did you see the show prior to recording the show or you knew the show well enough that you did not have to see it?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2004, 06:33:27 PM »

Hello, DOlly Question #5

5) As a producer what do you feel you brought that was different from the other English cast recordings?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2004, 06:34:43 PM »

Not a question, but how about some "Dish" about what went on during the recording session. (Carol Channing, Jerry Herman stories etc)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2004, 06:35:49 PM »

Things sound great DRJANE.  Thanks for the Holly vibes DRMBARNUM....we should know something tomorrow.

Well - so is your friend going to do the Artwork for the poster for said movie, MRBK?

I just watched LOST....hmmmmmmmm....I think I like it.

This is the first episode that I have watched from start to finish. I actually remembered to watch it.  I liked it too.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2004, 06:42:04 PM »

George, it's your sister and it's her gift to you.  Why share it, unless you feel like being generous.  If it were me, I'd keep it all to myself because I would feel it was my gift.

Michael:   It was my decision to record the dance music and my decision to put the soft shoe in (it's Lee Roy Reams doing it), and yes, it's the steps from the show.

I recorded The Waiter's Galop because it's a show-stopping number that is integral to the show and which has a great arrangement (Peter Howard) and orchestration (Phil Lang).  The other piece isn't really much and isn't a show-stopper and I'm not sure it's even a complete piece of music.  I'm told that Come Be My Butterfly was superfluous and unnecessary.

Mr. Merrill wrote parts or all of both songs.  My impression is that he wrote most of Elegance, and part of Motherhood.  I believe Mr. Herman has acknowledged him in his book (not sure how accurately, however), but since you've read Writer's Block you know that people who come in to do this sort of doctoring never receive credit - just a royalty position.  I mention several examples of this in the book.

I knew the show backwards and forwards, having seen it about fifteen times.  However, I saw it three times just prior to us recording it, because I wanted to see the strengths and weaknesses in the cast so that I knew what I'd be dealing with.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2004, 06:49:18 PM »

Dolly continued:  I like our album of Dolly - it's got dialogue that's not on the other albums, it's got the I Put My Hand in Here dance music, which I love (Jerry didn't want it - I insisted - I won), it's got The Waiter's Galop, and more of Dancing and the little scene prior to Before the Parade Passes By.

Dish: It is unseemly to dish, however I don't believe it's any secret that I did not care for the experience of working with Miss Channing.  I've worked with other legends who were faboo and delightful and no problem in any way.  Carol thought she knew all about making an album - unfortunately her memory is faulty - she knew and knows nothing at all.  When we first met backstage she told me that they'd taken four days to do the original album.  Sorry, one day.  She was sour, and obnoxious to Jerry, but never to me.  At one point I said to Jerry, how can you put up with this, and he said he'd been putting up with it for twenty-five years or however long it had been.  Doesn't matter, though, because she was wonderful in the revival, and she's one of the reasons the show was successful in the first place and Jerry will always love her and be grateful for it.  My favorite Channing bon mot in the session was between takes.  I'd sent word out that she should be closer to the mic.  Jerry went out to deliver the message personally - over the mic we heard her say, "Oh, Jerry, they don't understand performers, they're just electricians."  I got on the speaker and said, "Carol, this is the electrician in the booth and if you'd like to be heard on this recording, step forward.  Thank you."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2004, 06:55:34 PM »

I love that story.  Hehehehe.

And of course you know, MR BK - it is the CD I recommend to anyone directing or choreographing a production of HD!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2004, 06:59:07 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I didn't have another basically unproductive day today... I cut my hair!  Yeah!

And I cooked dinner again... SPAM and eggs!  Yes, SPAM!  But at least it was SPAM Lite.  -Yes, I had a coupon.

:-\

..But it was good.

In between cutting my hair and my culinary feast, I attend the World AIDS Day Interfaith service here at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart.  It was a nice service, and there were some very moving moments.  Alas, the service had some of those unintentionally funny moments that are bound to occur during services like this that are more or less put together at the last moment.  But those moments did not detract from the solemnity of the service, and they helped contribute to the spirit of hope and happiness of the evening.  I'm glad I went.  And it was the first time I've been in the Cathedral in a couple of years - I had forgotten how nice it was inside, artwork, carvings, etc.

-Remember the Joy!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2004, 07:03:51 PM »

So DRLaura you just want to enjoy everyone else’s decorations without having any of your own.  I agree it’s a great idea since it looks as if I probably won’t get to decorate.  Normally I begin decorating the day after Thanksgiving and if I had my way we would have a tree by my birthday.  Since Keith thinks that is too early and I need him to set the tree up I rarely get one until later.  This year we agreed to pass, but now if Craig does come home we might scramble for a small tree.  

Where have your pre-holiday trips taken you and Sandra?  I would certainly want to decorate before leaving home.  We don’t put lights or tinsel on a tree because of the pets.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2004, 07:06:32 PM »

Bruce on TWO AND A HALF MEN the song is catchy (better than catchy-I think it is a wonderful opening to the show) but very short.  Is there more to it and who sings it?  Does Grant write any of the other tunes Charlie’s character supposedly writes?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2004, 07:08:42 PM »

...And for some truly unknown reason, I just spent the last 45 minutes or so watching "The Magic that is: Nick & Jessica's Family Christmas".  Well, if that was magic..... UGH!!!  It was just one of those trainwrecks...  And the "historic" moment with Jessica and Ashley Simpson singing together on TV for the first time...  Well, let's just say this moment won't make the books.
 :o
-And is the Bing Crosby estate in trouble?  Why did they let them "sing along with Bing"?!?!?!

Lesson learned.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2004, 07:11:01 PM »

Oh, I skipped Nick and Jessica - just the idea of it.....

Spam....Spam....I love Spam.  I have two cans of it in my kitchen now.  It is my favorite fast sandwich food.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2004, 07:13:52 PM »

Way to go, Echo!!!

I just finished reading a beautiful book by Gail Tsukiyama called DREAMING WATER.  I have had this book by one of my favorite authors since 2002 when it first came out.  For one reason or another I didn’t read it.  Now I know why, it was waiting until now when it would make a difference in my life.  In the beginning of the book is a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt,

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift

Today was a gift.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2004, 07:46:51 PM »

OH!  And I'm glad I walked to the service earlier tonight...  As I passed the Sidewalk Cafe, I noticed they had a sign outside on their patio saying that this coming Sunday would be Edwina's last day.  Edwina my favorite waitress in the world!  She's leaving after 14 years!  -I'm guessing she finally got her double-knee replacement surgery scheduled.   I had just assumed she had had it done back in August which is when it was originally scheduled.  -Which is also why I haven't been back to Sidewalk since I've been back - I figured she was already on leave.  But...

I'm sooo glad I'll have a chance to say HI and Thank You and I'll Miss You.  I was feeling bad that I missed her "retirement" while I was in LA, but I guess I didn't.  Now I just need to  buy up every Mr. Goodbar candy bar in town - they're her favorite!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2004, 08:07:42 PM »

Jose have  sweet goodbye with Edwina.  

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2004, 08:18:29 PM »

Woohoo! Good boy Echo!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2004, 08:19:11 PM »

As far as I know, Grant and his writing partner write all the music on the show.  Not sure who sings the song.

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2004, 08:20:28 PM »

Hey guys and gals, a HUGE thanks for all the spoiler alerts regarding TAR! LOL! Yes indeey, I did tape it last night and just finished watching it. Now I must go back to all posts and see what you all thought of it! LOL!

I really appreciate the efforts! Although now I think maybe I should start watching it the night it is on so that I can join in on the next days posts!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up