Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE  (Read 47576 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2005, 01:44:54 PM »

I'm watching two people...one a newscasters, the other editor of In Touch magazine (whatever that is), probably in their thirties, analyzing Johnny Carson's career...badly...Just making some of the most asinine comments....wondering if his career has the impact of Jay Leno's...

They are showing a scene of him doing an exercise demonstration with Debby Drake and calling it a "skit".  Granted, Carson's milking it for humour but it's not a skit.  And the newscaster is going, "Is that, so and so (I didn't hear the name but I'm sure it was some well-known star)...not having a clue as to who it really was.

All these people who don't have clue about the legacy of the business they're in or reporting on and not doing their homework.  Sloppy, sloppy stuff.

François de Paris

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2005, 01:49:29 PM »

After all, we're an interesting crowd.

Gee, BK!
And I tought YOU did NOT like that word: INTERESTING!?!

Right, Panni? ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2005, 01:53:46 PM »

it would just be too compicated to change the e-mail addresses I use.

Compicated... as in compluter?? :D

No, this is me François, not DR SWW!! ;) ;D 8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2005, 01:57:46 PM »

Debbie Drake - who was based in Indianapolis and had a morning exercise show on WISH-TV - blonde in a leotard which was rather risque for those days - now and then she also demonstrated the latest dances including The Twist!

I agree with DR CP - earlier I saw someone say the the greatest guest EVER on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was Robin Williams.  I think there were others....if I am not mistaken.

Pondering Food?  Does food like to be pondered?  Can you ponder food in a wok or on a walk?  What does this all mean?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2005, 01:58:25 PM »

Compicated?  Try eating more fibre.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2005, 02:02:16 PM »

Very sorry to read about Johnny Carson when I logged on AOL (which has performed just perfectly for me all weekend). Yep, an icon and the last of the classy men who used to host late night TV.

I know he was a heavy smoker so the emphysema isn't that surprising.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2005, 02:04:52 PM »

Finished TERMINATOR 3 this afternoon. Unlike its overlong predecessor, this one didn't wear out its welcome and was lots of fun. Of course, for sheer thrills, the first one can't be beat.

Then put in a couple of STAR TREK episodes from season 3. Next up, SILVERADO.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2005, 02:09:20 PM »

I think the episode of NUMBERS on Friday is a new episode, but I can't be certain. TV GUIDE has no program description for it on Friday. Since that's its regular time slot, it wouldn't make sense to rerun the pilot in the regular slot the same week, but I've long since stopped trying to figure out the way programmers operate at the networks.

Jennifer

« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »

Jennifer I show NUMBER3RS should begin at 7:00, east and west coast.  My local station (which we don’t get) has it listed at 8:00.  Why do you say 11:00?

On the east coastNUMB3Rs (or however it is spelled) is supposed to be on CBS AFTER the NFL game.  It is listed as 10pm Eastern.  But the games always go long.  So i'm guessing it will be closer to 11pm.

On the west coast it is supposed to be on at 7pm PT (but also AFTER the football game). So i'd guess it will be closer to 8pm.

Not sure how it works for time zones in between.  But my best guess is it will always be after the football ends.

Hope that helped.

Jennifer

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2005, 02:12:39 PM »

I am going to eat Chinese food.  And then I may drop by my sister's football party since she lives 2 minutes away from the restaurant.  Although it depends on whether she is at the party, or sick in bed.  I doubt I will go watch if it's just my brother-in-law and his psycho football friends.

To give you an idea, they get extreme pleasure from rooting AGAINST each other.  So one guy who loves Philly (Eagles) could not go watch the first game there, because he needed to watch in peace.  And he is only showing up for game 2 if his team wins.

Jennifer

« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »

Btw, for anybody who likes Trading Spaces, during last night's Trading Castles there was a promo for a new show with Doug Wilson on next sat at 8pm (right before TS).  Something about a couple moving out of there house, a new couple moving in and redoing a room.  And then the original couple gets to come back horrified to see the changes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2005, 02:18:36 PM »

I'm back from a pleasnt drive in my motor car.  My favorite sight was a young pretty girl dressed in pants so low (her top, of course not covering her mid-riff) you could see her ass, and her idiotic-looking, porcupine hair-cutted boyfriend.  His pants were lower than hers, belted just above you-know-where, so that his au courant boxer shorts were entirely visible to one and all and also all and one.  The crotch are of his pants was literally at his knees.  They've had some ugly fasion trends over the years, but none as ugly as today's fashion trends.  I hope someday they grow and look at themselves in these clothes and get a good laugh - I certainly am getting a good laugh now, and it's not laughing WITH them, of that I can assure you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2005, 02:19:06 PM »

I refuse to watch the news or any entertainment news show for exactly the reasons stated above.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2005, 02:21:44 PM »

I was watching "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" on AMC today.  When the credits began rolling, they did one of their artsy-fartsy graphic things and made the credits really small while they promoed a lot of asinine stuff.

Meanwhile, Hollywood greats of the 30s and 40s were being shown and identified by the films from which scenes were used in the farce...but unless you knew who the stars were and the films that had been used, you'd not have been able to make it all out.

Huge mistake, IMO.  

DR Jose:  I'm much better, thanks for asking.  I'm still having sinus troubles but I'm thinking now that I'm being affected by allergies....and I'm having myself a "cleaning weekend," taking down blinds and stuff and washing them.

During my viewing of "What A Way to Go" last night, I noted with a giggle that during the early scene of the sale at Hopper's (Dick Van Dyke's store), there was a bin set up with records for 88 cents.  The display album was the back cover of the "Cleopatra" LP.  

At the time, you could find "Cleopatra" for under a dollar in most discount stores.  But it seems this was an inside joke for the filmmakers (or, intentional on "someone's" part and either not noticed or discovered too late) as 20th Century-Fox made both "Cleopatra" and "What A Way to Go"and both films were released within a couple of years of one another.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

François de Paris

« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2005, 02:24:45 PM »

French woman always seemed so charming and the country is beautiful, maybe France would be the country to be born in if not America.

OH, YEAH????

What about French men???

People like Patrice Lecomte, hey???
Or Jean- Paul Belmondo or Alain Delon or Vanessa  Depp... Hmmm, sorry!

(I know,I know! You can 't say.... Keith might be reading this! ;))
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 02:26:49 PM by François de Paris »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2005, 02:27:41 PM »

Compicated... as in compluter?? :D

No, this is me François, not DR SWW!! ;) ;D 8)
I think the word you're searching for is spelled "complooter."  This is someone who steals information from your computer via an Internet connection.  Definitely not the sort of person anyone would want to deal with.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 05:20:13 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2005, 02:41:56 PM »

I just typed a very long post, and it got lost in the ether when I attempted to post it.  Not good.
I like boat races.

François de Paris

« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2005, 02:45:05 PM »

DD is a horror book shop.

How rude to say that of Panni's daughter!! :o ;)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2005, 02:48:50 PM »

The worst thing about the bad analysis of Carson was it was on MSNBC....NBC being Carson's home for so long, you think they'd know better...you also think that they would research any clip they aired.  I don't mind someone not knowing; I do mind someone not finding something out when it should be their job.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2005, 02:50:44 PM »

I picked up a fair number of soundtrack albums in the cutout bins back in the 1960s. Rarely did Broadway show albums end up there, but soundtracks were there routinely.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2005, 02:53:56 PM »

One of the things I had fun with concerning DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID was trying to identify the film clips as they came up. Some like Stanwyck in DOUBLE INDEMNITY and SORRY WRONG NUMBER were very easy. Others, I had to ponder for awhile.

I wonder how much Universal had to pay a studio like Warners to use their Bogart and Bette Davis clips?

François de Paris

« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2005, 02:54:22 PM »

Dear TCB - my email was not offering a cruise!!

Tom,

What TCB needs is a Tom....Cruise! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2005, 03:02:22 PM »

Compicated?  Try eating more fibre.

I beg you pardon?

I was quoting, yes, quoting! LOL!

François de Paris

« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »

I think the word you're searching for is spelled "complooter."  This is someone who steals information from your computer via an Internet connection.  Definately not the sort of person anyone would want to deal with.

Sorry SWW; it's "definitely"! Ain't that neat?! ;)

Sorry DRCP; it was Cary Grant! Gary stayed in the shadows!
Cary Grant and Gary Gooper... err.... Cooper!

Signed:
The rude French poster of this site!
(rude French... being redundant, as we all know!)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2005, 03:14:12 PM »

It I said Gary Grant it was a typo.  I know who Cary Grant is...I was thumbing through his Films of...book the other and realized I've probably seen more or his films than any other actor from the 30's or 40's and enjoyed more of them.  Gary Cooper probably came in second.  But they are my two favourite movie stars from the era.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2005, 03:16:31 PM »

Very, very sad about Johnny Carson.

I'm back from a pleasnt drive in my motor car.  My favorite sight was a young pretty girl dressed in pants so low (her top, of course not covering her mid-riff) you could see her ass, and her idiotic-looking, porcupine hair-cutted boyfriend.  His pants were lower than hers, belted just above you-know-where, so that his au courant boxer shorts were entirely visible to one and all and also all and one.  The crotch are of his pants was literally at his knees.  They've had some ugly fasion trends over the years, but none as ugly as today's fashion trends.  I hope someday they grow and look at themselves in these clothes and get a good laugh - I certainly am getting a good laugh now, and it's not laughing WITH them, of that I can assure you.

Actually, the fashion sported by the young man in question is not a current fashion trend at all.  It's quite...1996?  Well, it's about ten years old.  Unfortunately, I believe that we'll be seeing less and less pants and more and more midriff and ass from young ladies in the future.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Charles Pogue

« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2005, 03:21:25 PM »

Francois, I believed BK only objected to the word, "interesting" in the context which it was used.  Saying that a restaurant is filled with "interesting" diners when one, not knowing the other diners, couldn't possibly really know whether they were interesting or not.  They may be the dullest folk on earth.  Now they might be, say "interesting-looking".

Charles Pogue

« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2005, 03:23:30 PM »

In England (and I would gather Europe), the midriff look has been quite the vogu for sometime and in the extremest of weather.  It can be freezing outside, yet you'll see these young things parading about with huge quantities of their flesh between their boobs and their tighs exposed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2005, 03:28:16 PM »

Thank you for clarifying my running riff on "interesting".  

I have seen quite a few young men with this fashion trend of late - so if it's an old own, it's coming back.  

François de Paris

« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »

Dear Reader Charles Pogue:

I was being facetious both times!
No doubt you do know Cary Grant.The typo  made me laugh because I find it often in magazines and (some people read HHW and remember) you gave Mr Grant that same first name not too long ago!

Quote:
"I enjoyed the one Panni mentioned last night IN GOOD COMPANY. I very much want to see SIDEAYS.  Watched  the new DVD of Gunga Din yesterday which looks great and am about halfway through Rudy Behlmer's interesting commentary.  Could you've have seen Jack Oakie in the Gary Grant role?  I couldn't have."

As for "interesting", so many people around me, when I lived in Florida, used and abused it so often that I thought it was quite funny!

When they don't really know what to say, they anwser
"Hmmm, that's interesting!"
which I used to take for "Ask me if I care!"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 03:44:40 PM by François de Paris »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up