Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE  (Read 47238 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2005, 03:48:29 PM »

I've been spending some quality time writing, but I just did a couple of pages - I wasn't going to write at all today, but I felt like it, so I did it.

Trying to decide on this evening's DVD.  I've started watching the new Collector's Edition of Season One The Twilight Zone.  A big deal has been made that these are the first transfers off the camera negatives.  I'm here to tell you that while they look fine, they are not THAT much better or different than the previous transfers.  I mean, they're better, but not to the dramatic degree I'd been led to believe they were.  I watched neighbor Earl Holliman in Where is Everybody?  I don't know that I totally agree with Harlan Ellison about Rod Serling.  One must give Serling props because it's his concept and baby and no other writers would have gotten to do their good work if it weren't for him.  I also find several of his episodes to be amongst the best teleplays ever written, most especially Walking Distance, one of the great half-hours of television.  Serling did tend to preachiness, but he was a fine writer - I love Requiem for a Heavyweight and Patterns.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2005, 03:49:51 PM »

I ended up eating a Togo's Pastrami Sandwich, not what I had in mind at all.  It was quite tasty though, but now I'm feeling quite logey.  The word for the day is "hooey" - I just wrote it about ten times in a row.

Cillaliz

« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2005, 03:59:33 PM »

Dateline is a Johnny Carson tribute. Just starting here.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2005, 04:20:32 PM »

I was watching SINGIN' IN THE RAIN  on TCM - and I decided to concentrate on the faces during the "Good Morning" number.  I realized that I have only watched the feet!  And how charming Debbie and Donald and, yes, even greedyguts Gene Kelly all are!

DR CP have you seen Mr Cary Grant in TOAST OF NEW YORK - with Mr Edward Arnold and Miss Frances Farmer?  Nice period picture - a bit overlong - but everybody is very good.  It seems Mr Grant was a bit put out that Miss Farmer had to shoot her scenes at RKO at night because she was filming at Paramount during the day.  T

And that's the end of the Film Personality History Lesson for today.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 04:26:54 PM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2005, 04:24:50 PM »

I would do a spit take, but that would be a waste of this Cherry Coke. My brother's coffee maker did a spit take this morning, though. All over the counter.

I have been very busy today putting off my Rhetoric homework. Oy vey. I don't know what rhetoric is, but I don't like it.

I ate a really big pita sandwich today.

Hey Kerry, have you had any good chocolate lately?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2005, 04:43:01 PM »

DRJane, we'd go to Central Park and make snow angels!  Then we'd go to Artie's for some hot chocolate and potato pancakes with applesauce, except the applesauce at the 2nd Avenue Deli is better!  Or cheesecake and hot chocolate.

If you saw what I wear to play in the snow (layers of ugly unflattering clothes) you might not wish to be seen in a restaurant with me.  I know I wouldn’t. ;D  Of course we would go anyway and have a grand time.  :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2005, 04:44:48 PM »

If you saw what I wear to play in the snow (layers of ugly unflattering clothes) you might not wish to be seen in a restaurant with me.  I know I wouldn’t. ;D  Of course we would go anyway and have a grand time.  :D

I would happily be seen anywhere with you, no matter how embarassingly you might be attired.  ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »

JRand54, I have indeed seen TOAST OF NEW YORK, more than once...I like all three performers in it (and Jack Oakie, who I believe is also in it).  I also think it's a fascinating story...that of big Jim Fiske.  I think I should re-do it for my pal, Larry Drake.  Interesting aside, I have an autobio of Edward Arnold signed by him.  First book I bought in SoCal when I was performing with Maggie Raye in San Clemente when I first came out.

Jane

« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2005, 04:48:42 PM »

Proof that it's a slow news day:

Fox News has told it's viewers that Mr. Carson death was related to emphysema.  They have followed this report with another report about emphysema.

:P

If it was an insiteful report than I'm all for it.  I hope a few people watched and gave up smoking.

Jane

« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2005, 04:49:54 PM »

George where in Germany is your mother from?  

Jane

« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2005, 05:04:27 PM »

On the east coastNUMB3Rs (or however it is spelled) is supposed to be on CBS AFTER the NFL game.  It is listed as 10pm Eastern.  But the games always go long.  So i'm guessing it will be closer to 11pm.

I was converting EST to PST.  It is on both coasts at the same time, after the game, making it very difficult for me to TIVO it.  Seems they are trying to pull in the football fans but what about the rest of us?

Ben

« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2005, 05:05:23 PM »

Well, I am here and to prove it I'm posting. More tomorrow.

Jane

« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2005, 05:09:28 PM »

OH, YEAH????

What about French men???

People like Patrice Lecomte, hey???
Or Jean- Paul Belmondo or Alain Delon or Vanessa  Depp... Hmmm, sorry!

(I know,I know! You can 't say.... Keith might be reading this! ;))

LOL I was only thinking I might like to be one of those charming French woman.  At least I didnt insult the men.  ;D

Danise

« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2005, 05:21:43 PM »

Evening all.

Sad, sad news about Johnny Carson.  Funny, I remember as a younger person that staying up to see his show was a treat. I had to go to bed early because of school but I wanted to stay up all night.  Now, as an older person, I can barely stay awake past ten o’clock.  I haven’t seen the Tonight show in ages.  

Still pinching myself with the excitement of getting the new SUV.  I keep thinking that something has to be wrong.  I always told myself that some day I would drive something very nice but it always seemed so out of reach.  Now that it’s finely here I feel so over whelmed.  It won’t be real until Wednesday and I have the keys firmly in my hand.  

I was looking at the weather and I hope all of you in the blizzard States are warm and safe.  I can’t imagine what it must be like.  I guess that will be the next thing I will have experience in my life if only once.  

We’re going to get really cold tonight.  Down to freezing with a wind chill factor that could be in the twentys.  I put all of the plants that were in pots into the van to try to save them.  I don’t know if my four o’clocks that are in the ground will survive or not.  I certainly hope so.  

I feel so silly about my NYC cheesecake question! Duh!  I guess I just had something else on my mind and wasn’t thinking.

I’ve been meaning to ask, DR Jose, how is that thing you had on your foot?  Did it get any better?

Glad to see DR Ann posting.  Wishing you strength and health.  

Glad to know that DR Panni is a fellow toilet fighter.  I’ve had my hand in the toilet many a time.  It sure beats the plummers bill   Funny, I’m not afraid to change out the pipes or the faucets or work on the toilet but I’m scared to try anything that has to do with electricity.  That’s where I draw the line.

I don't really know what other country I would like to be from.  I never gave it much thought.  I'm German, Irish & French so I guess it would have to be one of those.  Of course, I have the look of all three--French (I'm short), Irish (the blue eyes and temper) and German (I'm....well, errr,----- big hearted.  Yeah, that's it.)   ;D :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2005, 05:25:28 PM »

Bruce it could have been worse-he might not have been wearing the boxers.

As of this afternoon count us in as recommending the feel good movie, IN GOOD COMPANY.  IMHO Dennis Quaid was perfect.

Ginny

« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2005, 05:28:55 PM »

Wish I could go to NY that weekend to meet all you wonderful people and see the show, but on March 19th I will be at Say Goodnight Gracie in St Paul in house seats from Rupe. (I saw it on Broadway, but will enjoy seeing it again with some friends)

Well, DR Cillaliz, how 'bout Clowes Hall in Indianapolis on April 10 for the matinee of Mamma Mia, for which DR Jose will be playing the piano?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2005, 05:31:54 PM »

DR elmore - love your description of NYC in the snow.  Wish I were there...

Spent the afternoon with my mom, watching skating (which they interrupted with the sad news about Johnny Carson), going to Borders, and having dinner at McAlister's Deli.  She ordered a HUGE piece of cheesecake - ate some, gave me a few bites, and took most of it home for later.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2005, 05:32:40 PM »

BTW, did you know that it is the year of the Rooster?  I read that someplace today and thought about Chooster.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2005, 05:34:51 PM »

Danise can you cover the four o'clocks with something?

Danise

« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2005, 05:41:31 PM »

If it freezes, nothing will help.  Or so I've been told.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2005, 05:41:42 PM »

I got so logey I fell asleep whilst trying to watch A New Kind Of Love with Mr. Paul Newman and Miss Joanne Woodward.  It didn't help that the movie is a leaden mackeral.

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2005, 05:42:20 PM »

Well, DR Cillaliz, how 'bout Clowes Hall in Indianapolis on April 10 for the matinee of Mamma Mia, for which DR Jose will be playing the piano?

Actually, I'm leaving from Omaha very early on April 11 to spend a week in NYC! 3 days to do whatever I want to do. I'm staying at the Algonquin, something I've always wanted to do-(the government rate is a nice fringe benefit of my job) and the rest of the time will be at the Marriott Financial Center for the National Assn of Criminal Defense Lawyers meeting. I'm on the board. I don't have to be there all the time, but will have a number of meetings I can't miss.

I haven't decided what shows I'm going to see yet, but several will definitley be a part of my plans.

I would love to meet some of the NYC people then, if possible. We could eat cheesecake in a restaurant with an interesting crowd.

François de Paris

« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2005, 05:57:55 PM »

Evening all.

SAD, sad news about Johnny Carson.  FUNNY, I remember as a younger person that staying up to see his show was a treat.

You're taking us on an emotional roller-coaster ride, dear reader Danise! ;)

Danise

« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2005, 06:06:19 PM »

For fellow Dark Shadows fan JRand.  Look what I found in todays paper!  None other than Roger Collins!   I only watch the one soap so I had no idea Louis Edmonds was on All My Children.

François de Paris  ;D  I don't even try to do these things on purpose.  It's just what comes out of my, well I can't say mouth, fingers at the time.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2005, 06:08:44 PM »

I would love to meet some of the NYC people then, if possible. We could eat cheesecake in a restaurant with an interesting crowd.

Elmore and I have eaten cheesecake at Barrymore's once or twice!

François de Paris

« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2005, 06:11:39 PM »

Glad to know that DR Panni is a fellow toilet fighter.  I’ve had my hand in the toilet many a time.  It sure beats the plummers bill.  

Danise,

NO, You Can't Get A Man With A... Plunger! ;)

Jane

« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2005, 06:13:19 PM »

He didn't insist I try it.  We did all share a yummy apple something Penny ordered.

Danise

« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2005, 06:14:06 PM »

Danise,

NO, You Can't Get A Man With A... Plunger! ;)

I'm not sure I WANT one!  :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2005, 06:19:34 PM »

A NEW KIND OF LOVE for me, is a guilty pleasure.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2005, 06:25:18 PM »

George where in Germany is your mother from?

In the southern part of Germany...the Bavarian area.  "Schteinabrickle" (I have no idea of the correct spelling) is one of the towns that she lived in.  I think that that's where one of her brothers live and mother lived (her mother died last year).

I haven't been doing much of anything today.  I watched last Wednesday's episode of Lost.  So, what's with the boy?  And I never understood why NOBODY really tried to look for Claire (the pregnant girl that was kidnapped).  They just let her go.  What about "there's safety in numbers?" (a The Boy Friend reference)  They could've gotten a BUNCH of people to go get her.  Things like that are frustrating.  I like the show, but I'm frustrated by it...at times.

I made fudge today.  The Jet-Puffed marshmallow cream recipe.  It's the best.  Of course, the only other recipe that I've used was the Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk recipe, which isn't as good...in my humble opinion (IMHO, in Internet lingo).  I'm still debating if I want to make a second batch.  I'll decide after I see how long it takes to cut all of it into pieces and wrap it.  It may not be worth it. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up