Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WHOLE CLOTH  (Read 55389 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:WHOLE CLOTH
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2005, 04:40:53 PM »

My question for anyone today (Jose, I know you're a keyboard player and not reeds or brass, but...) Does anyone around here know how to spell Ombishure (ambishure?) correctly?  I know what it means, but I don't know how to spell it and can't find it in the dictionary (EVEN UNDER THE WHACKIEST OF SPELLINGS).

Yes, the mystery spelling has been de-mystifyed, but did you know that the word was in a song?  And one recorded by The Manhattan Transfer??  Well, here it is:

15 MINUTE INTERMISSION
(Skylar)

spoken:  Hey what's the matter wit' you guys back there,
You sure look beat or somethin', you been knockin' yourselves out?

sung:  We want a 15 minute intermission boss
We want a 15 minute intermission boss
With your permission!

spoken:  You gotta be kiddin' man!

sung:  We want a 15 minute intermission boss
With your permission!

When makin' music gets to be a chore
An intermission is your only cure
To ease your palpitatin' embouchure
You'll never get to heaven if you treat us this way!

Want a 15 minute intermission boy,
15 minute intermission boy,
15 minute intermission boy--

Mmm -- Intermission!

As recorded by The Manhattan Transfer!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »

Page 11 Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2005, 04:46:31 PM »

Evening all!

As the one who started the Chooster parade, I apologize for causing any discord among us.  It was meant in fun.  I simply picked up on what Panni said and (as you can imagine) all seems pretty right in MY world right now.  

I had a friend who had a stuffed frog he called “Phineis”.  Not only did the frog have his own wardrobe, ranging from a Tux to Star Wars costumes, he also had his very own, real, honest to goodness credit card.  

Phineis made the rounds, had his photo taken everywhere, amateur right up to a professional photo shoot.  In fact, several gals and I had our pictures taken him and considered it quite an honor.  I still remember the guy who took the pictures asking if this was a band or something.  I hope I still have the photo someplace. As I recall he was in his “James Frog” attire and we were the “Frog Girls” instead of the “Bond Girls”.  

It was a long running joke, although more than one time, Phineis was frognapped and held for ransom by those of the group who had enough of him.  I think it was more of a game then anything else.  The guy who owned him always got him back.

I don’t know where Phineis or his owner are today but I remember those days fondly.  It was great fun for those of us who were willing to partake of it and never taken very serious. Although, I will admit, I thought the credit card was going a bit far.

I’ll just end my little tale with a request that you, DR Panni, add me to the list for future Chooster e-mail pictures.   :)

I guess we are going to sitting next to one another at Jewish Thighs.  My seat is D8.  Who has D9?

As you can imagine, yesterday was quite an exciting day for me.  I was driving seventy MPH on the drive home without even realizing it!  I NEVER drive that fast!  And it was so quiet.  I had to put the window down to have some noise.  I’m going to have to get used to the pedals.  I had to really push the vans to make it go or stop.

Mom is thrilled.  I was right that the running board and the handle would do wonders to help her get in/out.  I hope she will be more comfortable and want to go out a bit more.  

As for your request to “borrow” Bonnie, DR Vixmom.  In a word, NO!  She’s mine all mine!  ;D ;) :)

I hope you start feeling better JMK.

Nice to see you WFO.  I look forward to saying hello in person!

DR Jose, I would like to hear more about what you found for the Pocket PC.  You know that I have one as well.  I want to get a modem for it.  What did you see?  What kinds of programs?  And (more important) WHERE exactly did you see them?

If you buy a modem, please tell me what kind you got and how you got it to work.

BTW, I’m glad that your foot is getting better.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #303 on: January 26, 2005, 04:57:48 PM »

Okay, folks, here is all I have to say on the subject. I think each person here has the right to say whatever he or she wants - as long as it is not personally demeaning or hurtful. Ron Pulliam was expressing his opinion and that's fine. I found nothing mean-spirited about what he said. He was of the opinion that there were things going on in the world that we should pay attention to rather than the rooster. Fine. I have no problem with that.

Frankly, I really don't give a f-k what anyone thinks of a stupid wooden rooster. The reason I started posting pictures of it in the first place was because one of the DRs suggested it would be funny to see it in different locations around the house. As I said, it really does not bother me if certain people do not like the rooster.

What DOES bother me are some of Mr. Pogue's comments. And yes, I do find them mean-spirited. They are not about the wooden rooster - they are about me. Mr. Pogue does not like me, which is his right. However, it is my right to protest posts which are hurtful in a personal sense.
I found Mr. Pogue's comments insulting - and I repeat, not to the wooden rooster - but to me. I think I have certainly posted my share of worthwhile, insightful, humorous comments on this site and have earned - or should have earned - the respect befittting any person here. I would not dream of saying to Mr. Pogue, or anyone else here, some of the things he has said today about me.
I would ask for an apology, but the likelihood of that is pretty remote. So I would just ask that Mr. Pogue ignore my posts from now on. Just skip over them so that his sensibilities are not offended.
I was actually going to stop posting altogether after reading what he had to say this morning. But that would be a cowardly thing to do.
I'm very fond of this site. I find it a safe haven. I'm afraid that Mr. Pogue's remarks have made it somewhat less of a safe haven for me. So, I'll do what I'm asking him to do - which is to ignore his posts.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 05:58:01 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #304 on: January 26, 2005, 05:12:52 PM »

Panni I'm glad you aren't a coward.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2005, 05:19:08 PM »

*sigh*

We are having our house re-roofed. Yesterday they took off the old roof. Today it poured. And I now have a leak in my kitchen. And water coming in under the patio door onto the wood floor.
Having a leek in the kitchen is good.  Having a leak in the kitchen is not.

Vibes.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2005, 05:25:20 PM »

Vibes.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Thanks, Woody.

I thought home improvements were supposed to be improvements.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2005, 05:30:07 PM »

Lori Nelson married and divorced Johnny Mann of The Johnny Mann Singers.

Leigh Snowden married and widowed Dick Contino who played a mean accordion.

Julie Adams married and divorced Ray Danton.

And that's what I know about them.  My favorite is Lori Nelson!  

Didn't Johnny Mann do a musical based on The Exorcist? I think it was called "Spit Up and Cheer"!
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2005, 05:32:36 PM »

I must have missed the post about BK's reading in NYC.  What are the details again?  What day/time/where?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2005, 05:34:58 PM »

Vibes.

Well, I guess one could say it's better to have one then to take one.  Did I say that???  :o :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2005, 05:36:29 PM »

Dear BK:

Are you going to do a reading in my hometown?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2005, 05:41:09 PM »

Well, I guess one could say it's better to have one then to take one.  Did I say that???  :o :D
:o :o :D :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2005, 05:44:56 PM »

Please tell my Dear Uncle that I hope he feels better sooner than soon!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2005, 06:02:59 PM »

Well...what a can of worms has been opened.  And what a bunch of malarkay it is.  And Panni's emnity toward me (and The Lovely Wife, I might add) goes back a little further than today.  I think people will notice that no where in any of my posts is Panni mentioned.
I don't dislike Panni.  Quite frankly,I just don't think of her much one way or another.  She has no impact in my life.  

She's pissed off at me and The Lovely Wife, because right after our Christmas Party this year, she kept pestering BK, "Why doesn't he invite me to his parties?"  In his exasperation and in his confusion as to why he should be asked this question, BK told her, "Why don't you just ask him?"  So, unbelieveably, she did.

Now understand...The Lovely Wife and I hardly know Panni.  We supped with her and BK once. We were at  aHaines/Kimlet breakfast once with her, BK, Jay, Jane and her husband.  

The other times we have crossed paths is at a few BK signings and What If?.  Our meetings have been largely casual and of no great depth.  We had nothing against her at all.  She was pleasant enough, but she hasn't been an intimate of ours.

So imagine our embarrassment for her when she actually took BK up on his suggestion and wrote us a note, asking why we did not invite her to our parties.  Then going through a long resume of her attributes as to why we should invite her.  Essentially suggesting she was a worthy person and should be invited to our parties.

Overcoming our stunned reaction, we wrote her a polite but firm note that we were a bit surprised that a relative stranger should lobby to be invited to our parties and feel obligated to send us a litany of her good points as to why we should.  And that we found it somewhat presumptuous and rude that she should make suggestions about who we should invite to our parties.  We had nothing personal against her, but she was someone we knew only slightly through Mr. Kimmel and it was our pleasure to choose our guests, not hers.

We got back a rather hysterical note that said she had never been so insulted and that we were the ones who were being rude and couldn't we tell the letter was light-hearted and jokey?  And that we had misinterpreted her letter.

Again, puzzled and shocked, we wrote her back...still even-tempered but a bit more curtly.  We did not think we had misinterpreted the note (and jokey or not, it was still rude and presumptuous).  And that it was often the case when one did not get the hoped-for response to claim they were misinterpreted.  

This precipitated one more hysterical email right before Bruce's Christmas Party.  Where she told us that she would not speak to us at the party and we shouldn't speak to her.

We wrote back...again even-temperedly and politely ,but firmly...that she was still trying to dictate our behaviour and that we wouldn't think of spoiling the festivity of  our friend's party by making a scene and that if the occasion merited it, we would greet her in the spirit of the season and she could respond however she felt fit.   But we weren't about to show our butts.

I would have liked to have pointed out to Panni that night that none of my party guests were at Bruce's party, just as none of his guests were at my party.  Intimacy is the reason you invite people into your house.  Panni was not our intimate.  She was in Bruce's circle; not our circle.  And though the two circles have crossed occasionally, it has been rare.  But Panni does not seem to understand that it is not feasible for me to invite to my parties not only my friends, but also all the people my friends know too.

Now, we still have no real animosity toward Panni, other than we find this whole past incident rather silly, irritating , and somewhat desperate.   I would never even ask a good friend why I wasn't invited to their party, let alone a stranger. I find that in extraordinary bad taste.  But I guess that's my sense of decorum.  

But that's the straight skinny. And so now she find plots and invective in anything we say and thinks that anything we say is about her. And keeps grinding the axe.

I cannot share Panni's letters with you, as they are her property and not mine to do so.  But if the The Lovely Wife gives permission once she has read this whole silly-ass flibbety-gibbet sturm and drang, I will be happy to post them and share them with you and I think you will see that we were perfectly reasonable at all times and within our rights to be somewhat aghast to have someone writing us to crash our social circle without first being invited in.  But I suspect The Lovely Wife may wish to have this nonsense go no further...and keep private correspondence private.

So I don't care if this is a safe haven or not for Panni.  It's not my responsibility to make it safe haven for her, just as it is not my responsibility to invite her to my parties, or to make her my friend.  She chose not to be friendly, I chose merely not to invite her to my party...which is understandable.  There are a lot of pleasant people with whom I'm friendly but not friends who I don't invite to my parties.  

If this has become an unsafe haven for her, I suggest she look to her own hysteria and teeth-gnashing and trumped-up sense of drama as the cause.  It's not anything I or The Lovely Wife are doing to her.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 07:55:45 PM by Charles Pogue »

MBarnum

« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2005, 06:03:48 PM »

with that.

The reason I started posting pictures of it in the first place was because one of the DRs suggested it would be funny to see it in different locations around the house. I

LOL! That would be me!

Glad to see you back DR Panni!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2005, 06:09:33 PM »

Here is what I received in the mail today, after waiting many, many moons!! Woohoo! Fans of Desperate Housewives will know!!

Eat your heart out DR Elmore3003! Ha, ha!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: January 26, 2005, 06:14:38 PM »

Here is what I received in the mail today, after waiting many, many moons!! Woohoo! Fans of Desperate Housewives will know!!

Dream on, Alice!  I've got my own wonderland.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2005, 06:23:22 PM »

If Elmore's not jealous...I am! ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2005, 06:30:51 PM »

If Elmore's not jealous...I am! ;)

So am I!!! ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2005, 06:31:35 PM »

WFO it is good to see you back, sorry if it wasn't the most pleasant of days to return.

JMK & MBarnum feel better soon.

DerBrucer-good muscle vibes!  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 06:33:52 PM by Jane »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2005, 06:34:43 PM »

Now, we still have no real animosity toward Panni, other than we find this whole past incident rather silly, irritating , and somewhat desperate.   I would never even ask a good friend why I wasn't invited to their party, let alone a stranger. I find that in extraordinary bad taste.  But I guess that's my sense of decorum.  

I think a sense of decorum would have been no reponse to DRPanni's post rather than this airing of dirty laundry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2005, 06:43:42 PM »

I was going to post another ask BK, but sadden to see what's going on here. I think that this should be left in private.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »

Oh dear.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2005, 06:55:45 PM »

Actually, DR Michael Shayne is right. Mr. Pogue can accuse me of whatever pathetic "desperate" behaviour he wants.  All it bespeaks is a lack of class on his part. I don't need to respond.

Tomovoz

« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2005, 07:00:46 PM »

I've just noticed on my special handy dandy calendar - an exclusive design from the talent pool of the North West - that today (Australian time) is the birthday of MusicGuy.  It would be a delight to us all if he posts tomorrow. Where are you LL?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2005, 07:01:26 PM »

Well I have been sick and in bed all day, and it looks like that's a good thing.

Really, isn't this site for dishing about other people whom we don't know?  (That's a joke, in case anyone was wondering).  I'll start:

JR, the Paramount guy is young, probably younger than I, if not springtime.

And re:  The Smothers Brothers.  I opened for them in Seattle a couple of years ago.  Their "act" is no act--the soundcheck was one of the most contentious, acrimonious things I've ever witnessed.  It kind of reminds me of....oh, nevermind.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2005, 07:03:15 PM »

The astute DRs will notice tomorrow that the posts with a French accent will be missing. François is on holidays and shall have no access to a computer for about three weeks. There may need to be a roster system here to fill the French Frenzy gap.  Can all mention of Disney related topics be kept on hold.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2005, 07:04:44 PM »

The best of health wishes to those suffering ailments of body and heart.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2005, 07:08:51 PM »

I did mention the other day but late - Has anyone else watched the IMHO delightful "A Man Of No Importance". I am fond of the musical too.  I would love to see it performed here in OZ.

I've located a Video seller here (ex-rental stock) and for the price of about $2.50 US I have purchased "Man Of no..." and the truly delightful "DreamChild".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2005, 07:13:33 PM »

I'm listening to the original cast recording of A Fine & Private Place on my MP3 player watch!  Has anyone heard (or heard of) this musical?  It's delightful and touching!  The first full production was done in 1989 but they never recorded the show.  It wasn't until last year that it was recorded.  What was truly unique was that they got the entire 1989 original cast (all five of them) back together to record the score.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up