Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UNWIELDY  (Read 18998 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:UNWIELDY
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2005, 10:15:09 AM »

elmore, I didn't even know a screenplay had been written.  But back in the mid-seventies I always had this idea that Coppola could make a marvelously marvelous film of it without changing much at all.  He lives in that part of the country and was a very operatic director back then.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2005, 10:15:33 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page four.  How unwieldy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2005, 10:26:47 AM »

Okay, I shall now be on my way to the City of Culver, and then I shall return with a full report.  Keep the home fries burning until my returning.  I want some excellent postings to read.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2005, 10:37:14 AM »

elmore, CHILDREN OF PARADISE is probably my favourite foreign films and one of my favourite films about theatre.

Woody, if you liked the costumes in Adventures of Robin Hood, you should watch the extras on the DVD where Basil Rathbone is trying on about twenty differenet helmets.

BK, I first saw Le Bossu/On Guard at the City of Lights/City of Angels film festival they have here every year and is partially hosted by the WGA.  I loved the film and, as you say, it has some of the best swordplay ever filmed.  I got to speak with Vincent Perez afterward.  

I get invited to this film festival every year because I was part of a French/American culture exchange that they used to do back in the nineties where several American film-makers were invited each year to sit on panels at a film conference in Beaune.  I was on a panel at the very first one...and that year, I took on the great cultural imperialist, Jack Valenti, who loved to cram the big studio American film product down Europe's throat which the Europeans, particularly the French, hate.  They were also not fond of Valenti...so when I exhorted the Europeans to hold onto their culture against the onslaught of crass American product , I was adored as if I was new Jerry Lewis or something...director Claude Lanzmann called me a "hero".  It was a great weekend and the film festival is a lot of fun.  Auteuil is usually at least one of the films each year.  You must see him in Queen Margot.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »

BK, I think Coppola still has the chops to be Operatic.  I quite liked his DRACULA a few years back and, in fact, my description of it was operatic.  I also liked that it was a studio-bound and all done on indoor sets.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2005, 10:57:02 AM »

I don't know if "Promises, Promises" ever got into planning, but it was originally acquired for movie production by 20th Century-Fox.

It was in their "future productions" listings in the late 60s or early 70s.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2005, 11:13:17 AM »

Feldspar...........................
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »

Woody, if you liked the costumes in Adventures of Robin Hood, you should watch the extras on the DVD where Basil Rathbone is trying on about twenty differenet helmets.
Been there, seen that!  (And not in a negative way; the extras on the disc are very good.)

My next challenge will be to convince Alex, the elder grandlad, to give Adventures a try.  He's convinced that Robin Hood is a fox, because of the Disney version.  Well, I think he's a fox, too, but not in the same way.

Right now, Alex is at a stage where the first way he's introduced to something is the only way he thinks it exists.  For example, he's had lumpy mashed potatoes, and "hated" them, so he avoids mashed potatoes made from real potatoes.  He thinks Potato Buds are a superior product.  Fortunately, we've convinced his father to give real potatoes a try.  (Our next trick is to get said father a potato masher, or maybe a ricer.  Lumpless real potatoes, here we come!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2005, 12:06:58 PM »

Oh...  And I think we may have covered this before, but...

What is the most amount of snow you've ever seen/experienced in person?

Several years ago, here in western Washington, we had an ice storm.  Literally, there was about a half inch of solid ice covering everything...trees, power lines, everything.  It was incredibly beautiful, but very dangerous.  My sister lost power for five days.  I'm living in that house now!  At the time, I was living in an apartment that was on the same power grid as a retirement community and the hospital.  I only lost power for about an hour.  From what I remember, it was considered one of the most dangerous storms to hit the area.

When we lived in Colorado (when my dad was in the army) there was one season when it started snowing before Halloween and snow was still on the ground at Easter!  There wasn't a lot of snow, but it stuck around for a long time.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2005, 12:29:14 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have snowage!

It's coming down in big fluffy flakes, pretty in a Currier and Ives way.

I'm glad I got my shopping done yesterday; the car's brakes need work, and there's no way I'd make der B drive right now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2005, 12:45:09 PM »

My next challenge will be to convince Alex, the elder grandlad, to give Adventures a try.  He's convinced that Robin Hood is a fox, because of the Disney version.  Well, I think he's a fox, too, but not in the same way.

For me, Disney's Robin Hood will always be Richard Todd.

DRPogue, I too am a fan of QUEEN MARGOT, which I feel is a vast improvement over the Dumas novel it was taken from.  There's a newly published biography of Catherine de Medici that goes heavily into the St Bartholomew's Day massacre.  I have yet to see a THREE MUSKETEERS that matches the book without condensing or campng it, but the two Richard Lester films come close in achieving the novel's sweep.  I think Milady de Winter may be the first case of a character actually committing to print, "I'm too young to die."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:47:18 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2005, 12:54:02 PM »

Spent a nice time in Africa today with KING SOLOMON'S MINES. Some of the obvious jungle photography where the actors weren't present looks a bit washed out, but all of the scenes with the stars look in beautiful shape with only a speck or two here and there to betray its age. Nice to see it looking so good. Other than a trailer, however, no extras at all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »

I had planned on watching THE LETTER after KSM finished, but then I thought I'd like to see something a bit grittier, so I took THE BOSTON STRANGLER off the shelf. Had only gotten through maybe the first 10 minutes before deciding to get my afternoon internet surf done, and will then go back to finish it. The DVDE transfer looked wonderful thus far, and so great to see it in Panavision after all those years of TV showings in pan and scan which makes a total hash of this film with all of the multi-screen imagry.

Ben

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2005, 01:08:16 PM »

Growing up in Minnesota I was witness to lots and lots and lots of snow.

It's a quite morning/afternoon here at Chez McLaughlin/Morelli. We went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought new guest towels for the bathroom. I did my state taxes and will be getting a nice refund. I already did my federal taxes using TeleFile (just like George and Danise) and my refund was deposited into my savings account on Friday. I will begin making dinner (salmon marinated in a lemon pepper mixture with steamed vegetables and wild rice) in about an hour and then we will watch something on television perhaps or I will ride the exercise bike while Mr. Morelli does magic on the computer.

TTFN

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2005, 01:29:44 PM »

Our ice/snow is all gone now. Beautiful, crisp day with lots of sunshine melting the icy tree coating away by midday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

Sunshine and melting snow here as well.  Just little patches around.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2005, 02:40:34 PM »

My goodness, you'd think this was a Sunday, with this dearth of posts.  Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, we have had a dearth of posts.  We mustn't have a dearth of posts after these record days.  That is unseemly, and more important, it's unwieldy.

I'm back from this strang get-together, which I'll tell you about in detail in tomorrow's notes.  Some of it was quite fun, and I must say there were a few people who'd read and loved the Kritzer books who were quite kind, and boy did they spread the word - I didn't have to do any work.  I think we'll be selling a few books off amazon this very day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2005, 02:41:21 PM »

Now, really, let's get off our Hillary and Howard Duffs and get some lively and sparkling posting going on, shall we?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2005, 02:42:19 PM »

It's a pretty damn gloriously glorious day here in Los Angeles, California, USA.

On the way home, I picked up the new Warners Gangster collection, and also Robert Altman's film, California Split.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2005, 02:53:50 PM »

elmore, I just wish the Lester Musketeers movies had been spliced together into one long movie.  As they stand now, I find them a bit unbalanced...with the second suddenly getting all the heavy stuff in them...also continuity is bad, you'll see Michael York walk into a house in one costume and then be in the house in another costume from like the first movie...scenes were obviously being re-arranged.

Still they're fantastic movies and the best of the musketeers movies I've ever seen.  And the fencing...well...magnificent!  I just got both on DVD recently.

BK, hope you got lots of accolades at your do this afternoon.  Maybe the Krtizer books will get a bump that will surpass them in sales to Writers' Block.

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2005, 03:04:28 PM »

The sun was out here in Salem today, as well! Very nice T-shirt and jeans day...so I worked out in the yard most of the day pulling up dead plants, doing a little weeding, mowed the lawn, and chatted with my neighbor Judy who was walking her dog. Then I did some cleaning in the garage and now I am all done! Whew!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2005, 03:14:26 PM »

I love Michel Legrand's score to The Three Musketeers.  We put it out on Bay Cities.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2005, 03:16:02 PM »

And now - drumroll - I'm diving into the potato salad.  I shall return shortly, as soon as I'm at the point where I want to vomit on the ground.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2005, 03:17:51 PM »

it is not sunny at all around here.  It's about 50 degrees and gray and cloudy.  

I'm desperate to get off my butt and do something...so tempted to try the gym today...but it might be a bad idea.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »

I love Michel Legrand's score to The Three Musketeers.  We put it out on Bay Cities.  
The Legrand score was magnificent, matching the film perfectly.  Why he didn't write the score for The Four Musketeers has always puzzled me; Schifrin's score was no better than servicable for the second film.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2005, 03:51:57 PM »

What is the most amount of snow you've ever seen/experienced in person?

What is snow?   ;D
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2005, 03:54:19 PM »

I don't know how often any of you go to Michael Shayne's www.brucekimmel.com , but I just took my first pass through in a while and...Wow! What a delightful site about our host here.  I don't think I'd been before Michael had put up all the WHAT IF? materials, but I read several reviews that I hadn't even seen.  Nice work, Michael!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2005, 04:00:28 PM »

Today we saw a local small professional theater production of "A Chorus Line" which was quite wonderful.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »

What is snow?   ;D
Snow is something you see on your television.

Usually during a sports show that is highlighting downhill skiing.

;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2005, 04:17:58 PM »

DRLaura-LOL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up