Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SURF'S UP  (Read 24625 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:SURF'S UP
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2005, 11:24:02 AM »

La plume de ma tante est sur la table de mon oncle.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »

La plume de ma tante est sur la table de mon oncle.
The pen of your aunt is on the table of your uncle? No wonder she can't find it!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 11:27:20 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2005, 11:27:44 AM »

Mais oui, mon petit chou.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2005, 11:35:03 AM »

------------------------------------------------------------------
--Wayland Flowers

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2005, 11:43:16 AM »

I never got the whole Cliff Robertson thing either.  I always found him merely servicable and, aside from CHARLY, I never went out of my way to go see a "Cliff Robertson" film.  

I agree with MATT H. that O'Toole and Arkin were the front runners in the best actor stakes that year, but I think Alan Bates was a real interesting dark horse.  I'd like to see THE FIXER again...I remember it as being a rather remarkable performance (DAvid Warner was very good too).  

Oddly enough, I  first saw THE FIXER in college, on the bottom half of a double-bill at THE Opera House, a run-down theatre in Lexington, Kentucky, where you could see two shows for 65 cents.  It's where I also first saw PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN, and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF.  

In the earlier part of the century, the Opera House had been the major theatrical touring house...where people like the Barrymores played.  In the mid-seventies, it was renovated and became a major theatre again...where touring shows play and local companies do work.  

My Sherlock Holmes play, THE EBONY APE, had its premiere there in the late eighties.  So it's nice to be a part of the legacy.  But still!  Two films for 65 cents!  Them was the days!

vixmom

« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2005, 11:48:38 AM »

Mais oui, mon petit chou.

who you callin' a cabbage buddy?

:D

When I first met DH, besides being swept away by his sexy English accent, I discovered he could speak French which, as we all know, is the language of love...

I asked him to speak to me in French and he whispered. "Vos yeux sont comme les choux, vos oreilles comme des têtes de poissons"  I was enraptured.

Several days later I found out what it meant and gave hima good thumping!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 11:56:35 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2005, 12:01:13 PM »

"le moment est venu," les Morses dits, "à l'entretien de beaucoup de choses : Des chaussures -- et des bateaux -- et cire à cacheter -- des choux -- et rois -- et pourquoi la mer est ébullition chaude -- et si les porcs ont des ailes."

Jennifer

« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2005, 12:03:06 PM »

FOR DR STUART:

Here is your summary for the episodes of THE FAMILY that you missed:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/thefamily/episodes/2002-03/9.html

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »

FOR DR STUART:

Here is your summary for the episodes of THE FAMILY that you missed:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/thefamily/episodes/2002-03/9.html

Thank you, thank you, thank you (that's three thank you's) for the link, DR Jennifer.

Though I appreciate knowing who won, I must say how terribly anti-climactic it must have been.....!

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2005, 12:23:29 PM »

DR Stuart, you are welcome.  I had never looked on abc.com.  But when you mentioned it, I knew I had seen the last episodes.  So now you know! :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2005, 01:04:39 PM »

Condenscending is a polite word for Ralph Edwards on that particular episode of THIS IS YOUR LIFE,

He was that way with everyone! In the resurrected version of the show, I thought Bette Davis was going to slug him several times during the broadcast because he was so sickening to her. Treated her like she was retarded or something.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2005, 01:09:59 PM »

Finally got to THE MATCHMAKER today, and oh, boy, is it a beauty! Luscious black and white phototgraphy and so sharp that you could cut yourself on the image. When Vistavision films are mastered correctly for DVD, they are stunnning.

And bk was right several weeks ago when he mentioned watching this. The cues for songs are just SO obvious: "I Put My Hand In," "Put on Your Sunday Clothes," "Ribbons Down My Back," "It Only Takes a Moment." Good lord!

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2005, 01:14:25 PM »

WILL & GRACE was actually funny last night. What a surprise that was!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2005, 01:17:29 PM »

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?c=1371&s=1
Cultural cringe theatre. Yes!  Cringe not Fringe.

OzDerek may know more.

Damn. :P Guess I didn't do my research...actually, I didn't do ANY research. :-\ It just sounded good.  Like I said, total impulse.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow dear readers.

I have never seen a Cliff Robertson movie.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2005, 01:37:34 PM »

Some of you may not know this, but Cliff Robertson played in a TV version of CHARLY years before the feature film was made. "The Two Worlds of Charlie Gordon" won him an Emmy nomination for his performance, but he didn't win.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2005, 01:45:31 PM »

His performance in Wait Until Dark creeps me out the same way that of Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction creeps out my DH Richard.
Alan Arkin killed a bunny rabbit?????

:o :o :o :o :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2005, 01:52:51 PM »

Well all, it's just about 5 o'clock and the three day weekend is about to commence so it's time to love ya and leave ya!!!  BYE!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2005, 02:10:32 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow dear readers.

I have never seen a Cliff Robertson movie.
Dear DR Dear Reader Laura...Have you ever seen a movie?  You keep telling us about what you haven't seen, and I'm beginning to wonder.   ???
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2005, 02:12:58 PM »

Der Brucer watched Spiderman 2 yesterday.  He watched Spiderman today, to see if refreshing his memory of the first film would make more sense of the second.  So far, no report.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:17:15 PM by S. Woody White »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I made it up to school around 2:15, but then discovered that the Box Office is only open from 11:00-2:00.  Ah, well...  There was no sign saying tomorrow's recital was sold out, so I'll just check for tickets at 6:30 when the box office opens - before we head to dinner.

-Oh, I remembered to change/repair/replace my brake light.  The blown out bulb looked really cool when I took it out.  It had a white swirl pattern as opposed to the normal black burned out "pattern".  I almost saved it.

Then I decided to take another walk up and down Carytown.  The sun was out, the temp was up a few more degrees, and my hip was feeling fine.  (I was thinking that maybe I should have attempted to run this afternoon instead of this morning.)  I made a stop into my favorite knick-knack/gift shop, and bought a few Christmas ornaments - 90% off!  And I also bought these cute/neat rings that are made out of rubber, and they light up and flash when you squeeze them.  Perfect gift for my nieces.

On the return trip back up the street, I made a stop into the local running store, and picked up a decent pair of insoles for my shoes.  -I just put them in and gave them a try... WOW!!!  Definitely worth the very minor investment.

-Oh, and I picked up a tray of the very yummilicious apple-bread-pudding at Montana Gold to bring to Steve's tonight for dinner.  -We'll be supping on his Maggiano's leftovers - spaghetti with meat sauce and Italian sausage. ;)  And I'll also be supplying the salad - mixed greens, chopped dates, dried cherries, and toasted almonds in a balsamic vinaigrette.

-And something tells me I'll be baking a cake tomorrow - ?!?!!? Must be baker's withdrawal.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2005, 02:16:45 PM »

Here's something to try: it's called Guess the Dictator or Sit-Com Character.

You can follow the instructions, or try something different.

The something different is to answer all the questions as if they are asking about you, yourself.

I found out that I am actually Jody, from Soap.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2005, 02:28:07 PM »

Well all, it's just about 5 o'clock and the three day weekend is about to commence so it's time to love ya and leave ya!!!  BYE!!

Three day weekend?  What's that?  I'm off for 18 days right now.  Is that an 18-day weekend?

;)

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2005, 02:28:22 PM »

I actually did know that Robertson had done a TV version of Charly.  He bought the film rights because he wanted to do the role.  I think he was tired of losing roles he had done on TV to other actors when the film got done...LIKE THE DAYS OF WINE & ROSES.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2005, 02:42:20 PM »

Charles Pogue-
Who are you most excited to see at the show this weekend?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »

Alan Arkin killed a bunny rabbit?????

:o :o :o :o :o

He doesn't kill a bunny, but he does stab a teddy bear filled with heroin.

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2005, 02:47:03 PM »

BK, I am planning on going to the Court's show in April...I will have to get your autograph!

This day is just flying by and I had so much planned to do. I did go down to H and R Block and have my taxes done...and had breakfast with my buddy Mark. Now I am torn...should I watch a movie...plant some flowers...or go to the movies and watch BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE?

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2005, 02:48:55 PM »

My interview last night with Flip Mark was lots of fun...stories about Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Lassie, Yul Brynner, Deborah Kerr, Lucille Ball...and who knew that Flip had a crush on our very own DR Jane!
Unfortunately, for Flip, Jane only had eyes for Keith!

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2005, 02:52:29 PM »

Media check:

VCR: Survivor (quite a good group on this season!), BOURBON STREET BEAT, and some show from the History channel that my friends nephew appears on in some reanactments of something historical (I don't know..he called and asked me to tape it).

DVD: GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (Japanese language version)

CD: Camelspotting (variouis pop music from MOrocco, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, and Yemen...right now a singer named Samira Saeed is singing about "Kol de Eshaat"...whatever that is).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2005, 03:01:56 PM »

He doesn't kill a bunny, but he does stab a teddy bear filled with heroin.
Uh, I knew that.  I was making another joke.  I even included smilies this time.

*sigh*
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up