Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SURF'S UP  (Read 24815 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SURF'S UP
« on: February 18, 2005, 12:01:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've surfed the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the surfer dude cows come home.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 12:01:38 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SURF'S UP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:04:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: PULCHRITUDE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 12:05:33 AM »

CD check: Adler, Bock & Coleman  (S.T.A.G.E.)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 12:11:43 AM »

iPod is on.  Currently playing, Mancini's beautiful love music from The Great Imposter.  That's one movie I'd love to have on DVD.  One of Mancini's great scores.

PULCHRITUDE, baby, PULCHRITUDE.

Match me, Sidney.  Name that movie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 12:29:53 AM »

Well, the site has been overtaken by WUSSBURGERS.  No fun, no fun at all.  And here I was going to give out a sparkling prize to the first to name that film for "Match me, Sidney."  However, the offer expired on account of WUSSBURGERS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 12:39:53 AM »

Well, I guess since we can't get any ACTION around here, I'll just toddle off to the bedroom environment.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 12:47:58 AM »

I always liked the theme from "The Great Imposter". The only version I have is by pop group "The Piltdown Men". The Fleetwoods sang a a song called "The Great Imposter" which is listed as "The Theme from" but I think Mr Whitburn got that wrong.  Both songs were out at about the same time.(1961). Can anyone let me know if this is so.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 12:48:28 AM »

Thursday night, I watched the NBC line up:  "Joey," "Will & Grace" and "The Apprentice."  At 10:00 p.m., I switched over to ABC-Family and watched "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"  This show is never not funny!  At 11:00, I switched to Comedy Central to watch "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" but I fell asleep very shortly after it started!  I can't remember the last time I fell asleep watching TV out in my living room...especially with my housemate's cat laying on my chest and purring!  But I was asleep and for about an hour and a half.  Who'da thunk it?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 12:49:50 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 12:51:42 AM »

So, I was being a Wussburger, but not nece-Sara Lee (a Kander and Ebb reference! ;)) by choice. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 12:52:55 AM »

The vocal Great Imposter is an imposter - nothing to do with the film's theme, which has never had lyrics - nor has the love theme.  Both themes are available on several Mancini collections.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 12:56:30 AM »

Match me, Sidney.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 12:56:49 AM »

And might I just add - PULCHRITUDE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 12:57:03 AM »

And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

George

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 01:00:58 AM »

Tomovoz (or OzDerek...or anyone), I just won on eBay, the DVD to the stage musical version of "The Man from Snowy River."  It was truly an impulse bid.  Has anyone seen (or heard) this?  Is it any good?  My sister liked the TV series.  I wonder if she'll like the musical (but it is for me). ::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 01:02:00 AM »

Match me, Sidney.

George

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 01:03:44 AM »

Match me, Sidney.

The only movie that I can think of that has a character named Sidney is "Sweet Smell of Success."  Is that it??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 01:07:01 AM »

That's it.

Match me, Sidney.

George

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 01:08:04 AM »

Yea! ;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 01:12:45 AM »

PULCHRITUDE:  Sophia Loren is the epitome of PULCHRITUDE.

I saw CHARLY a few years ago...And I must say that it did not hold up well for me at all.  And I agree about all the unnecessary camera crap...but then a lot of people were doing that junk back in the "the media is the message", psychodelic  (that can't be spelt right) days.  I remember sitting through this film twice when I first saw it. Thinking it so great.  But when I saw it recently, I did not think Robertson's performance or the film held up well at all.  

But even back when it first came out I thought his maybe the weakest performance of an exceptional strong year.  Peter O'Toole gave a far better performance in LION IN WINTER; Alan Arkin was heart-breaking in THE HEART IS THE LONELY HUNTER; Alan Bates was brilliant in THE FIXER; I'd have to see Ron Moody's performance in Oliver again to see whether it was better than Robertson, but given how sort of on-the-nose and obvious I found Charly the last time, my guess would be that Moody was better than Robertson too. And the hippie interlude in the movie was just silly...

I think it's one of those movie's really stuck in its time period...which a lot of sixties movies are. They just show their age more than a lot of films and their revelancy or resonance is very time-specific as opposed to timeless...or ageless...

I remember there being much gossip at the time that it was felt Robertson "bought" his Oscar. His performance really doesn't hold up to the others in his category.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 01:12:46 AM »

Well, I was going to toddle off a half-hour ago - now I must, for I must arise at a reasonable hour to get in some work time before playing at the Ray Courts show.  SURF'S UP, DUDE!

George

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 01:12:46 AM »

So, BK, what would I have won if I hadn't been asleep in front of the TV with a cat purring on my chest?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 01:13:47 AM »

BK, I will be doing the Ray Courts show on Saturday.  

George

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 01:24:56 AM »

It's almost 1:30 a.m., here on the West Coast.  I'm going to bed.  Good night all!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 01:26:18 AM »

BK, I hope your new hairdo is not all spikey....I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out what you look like with blonde highlights.  You California dudes!

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 02:36:22 AM »

Good luck DR George!  it was an "Arena Spectacular".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 02:41:37 AM »

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?c=1371&s=1
Cultural cringe theatre. Yes!  Cringe not Fringe.

OzDerek may know more.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 04:59:19 AM »

Good morning, all!   Another Barnes & Noble Friday, but this morning I really want to stay home and do other things.  

Yesterday afternoon, my goddaughter's mother and I  made the trek to the Bronx to see Charlotte take on the role of Caliban in THE TEMPEST at the Horace Mann School.  I'm happy to report that she was the best thing in the performance and her entrance, after the exposition and the storm at sea, was the first burst of energy to wake me up.  Due to a heavier number of girls involved in the production, several men's roles - Antonio, Sebastian, Stephano, and the sailors - were played by women.  Dee Dee, who played Stephano, one of the three comics with Charlotte and Charles as Trinculo, won hands down the award for best performance by a woman playing a man, and the comics kicked ass!  They were great.

Charlotte's going to attend a Shakespeare program in England this summer at Oxford; she's definitely inherited the talent genes from her parents.  I'm quite proud of her.

Media alert:  I have no idea!  I have three Netflix DVDs sitting here, and a ton of new compact discs, but I've made no decisions.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2005, 05:01:12 AM »

Shockheaded Peter is a strange but very well done adaptation of a series of gruesome German children's stories from the 19th Century. It's about misbehaving and just plain bad children who ultimately meet terrible ends (a child who plays with matches, a child who insists on flying using an umbrella, etc.) Most of the cast came over from the Olivier award winning production done in 2002. It's billed as a musical but it's not in the usual sense. There is a song about each child and how they misbehaved and died for their actions. The music is performed by a group called Tiger Lillies. They have quite a collection of music, much of it theatre, film and dance-related. They tour around the world and have quite a following. Some of the other cast also perform on instruments during the show. It's all quite well done and the gruesome aspects are so over the top or obviously fake (think orange and red petticoats for flame as the match player catches on fire) as to not be alarming at all, though this is certainly not a show for young children. VixMom take note. Apparently the idea of the original stories was to show children what would happen if they misbehaved. Ouch! All in all, though, an excellent production, especially if you like theatre off the beaten track (though the new Little Shubert Theatre on 42nd Street near 9th Avenue is quite the nice home).

Listening to BBC 3 right now. It's 1pm in London and the Lunchtime Concert will begin after the news. Don't know what else I will be listening to at this moment. We will be on Long Island this weekend. We may watch things on DVD or video but no plans at the moment. Perhaps if there is something interesting at the library we will check it out for the weekend. We will return to NYC on Monday. I probably won't be around this here site much on the weekend so I'll have to catch up on Tuesday.

I'll be in and out during the day before the train to Ronkonoma.

Later.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2005, 05:02:17 AM »

Kerry, only 21 more posts to go for acension purposes.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2005, 05:38:20 AM »

I displayed my dolls, OHINA-SAMA, for The Girl’s Day, in the livingroom this afternooon. It’s a quite traditional custom to display the speciall dolls on The Girl’s Day, March 3rd(actually the dolls are displayed before that holiday), wishing one’s daughter’s health and happieness.  Most of Japanese girls have their own dolls and display them even after they have grown up (like me) , just for enjoying it. And I have been keeping to do it every year as my mother did it for me when I was child. Now I do it for myself!  My dolls came down to me from my mother and my mother took them from my mother’s mother and my mother’s mother took……So my dolls are very old, perhaps over one hadred years.  Regrettably people who keep this traditional custom become increasingly fewer nowadays.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up