Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: SORT OF  (Read 50868 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SORT OF
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:13:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, and the notes have read you, sort of, and now it is time for you to post until the cows sort of come home, sort of.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:23:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SORT OF
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:14:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: GELIGNITE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:42:15 AM »

"Ge" in chemistry is germanium.
" lignite" is brown coal.

I know more about geraniums and Nat King Cole.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:46:40 AM »

[size=8]HAPPY BIRTHDAY  DR JENNIFER[/size]
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 12:53:30 AM »

Happiest HHW Birthday to DR Jennifer!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:00:35 AM »

Today's visit from the neighbours:
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:01:38 AM »

Great picture, Tom!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:07:18 AM »

BK, in today's notes you wrote, "If we go ahead and release it ["Deceit"] for DVD, we’ll encode it for widescreen TVs."  

Here's a question for you:  Why wouldn't you release it on DVD, especially if you're going through all the trouble of adding in shots and sweetening the sound and all that?  It'd be a shame it you did all that work and didn't share it with the world (for an appropriate price, of course ;)).  Just my opinion. :)

I'm very excited about the (possible) DVD release.  I know theater is "an experience," but I still love watching videos and DVDs of live performances.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:41 AM »

Good morning, all!  I forgot to set the alarm this morning, and I overslept.  I've got to hie myself to Toyland, the bank, and a few other delightful spots before I return today.

From what I've seen, the reviews to LESTAT were not great, better than DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES and DRACULA, however.  I believe the show will settle in for a run, and our DR Jose will be happily employed for some time.  I saw the Maury Yeston TITANIC the day after it opened to poor-but-better-than-the-show-deserved reviews, and the cast gave gave performances of their lives as if to flaunt the critics.  I had a better time than I expected, and I love the score.  Alas, I still believe the show's a disaster of construction and owes its succes to the Cameron film at the same time.

DR Cillaliz, that 9-disc set of great operettas is wonderful, although the chorus sounds quite characterless in a pop 60s sort of attitude.  Most of the soloists are excellent. and the orchestrations are half original and haf state-of-the-art 60s work by Henri Rene.  The BABES excerpts, particularly "Barney O'Flynn" are wonderful.  I've had myset since it was released around 1962, and I've hoped for years that the complete set would be released on CD.

TOD:  Maybe later?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 05:05:01 AM »

DECEIT on DVD sounds like a plan!

USPS closed for inventory.  Inventory of what?  The stamps and boxes?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 05:05:37 AM »

It is a chilly 39 degrees here.  I will save my question for a bit.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 05:12:22 AM »

Happy Birthday Jennifer!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 05:22:22 AM »

HAPPY TAR BIRTHDAY, DR JENNIFER!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 05:22:59 AM »

Weren't gelignites formed when Shelley Winters lived at the Studio Club?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 05:23:37 AM »

My (first) question for ASK BK day:

Is the CD of Ronald Stein's DJ movie scores still being considered?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 05:36:07 AM »

Today's visit from the neighbours:
Oh, great, now der Brucer is going to want one or two.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 05:36:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR JENNIFER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 05:37:51 AM »

...USPS closed for inventory.  Inventory of what?  The stamps and boxes?
Guns and ammo.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 05:38:51 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Jennifer![/move]

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 05:52:25 AM »

DR Elmore Thanks for the info on the set. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but now I'm really feeling like it was a great find and can't wait to listen. Maybe I'll put on BABES IN TOYLAND tonight.  Did I ever tell you I wore out a BABES IN TOYLAND album when I was a kid? I don't know the release date or anything, but I think it had a blue cover.

Cillaliz

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 05:52:41 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR JENNIFER

Cillaliz

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 05:53:13 AM »

Great photo TOM!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 05:55:53 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Jennifer! I wish you much cake and ice cream today!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 05:56:17 AM »

I better run, I know it's going to be chaos at work today. One of our secretaries has been sick and I can't get her to go home.  I refuse to catch this again from someone at the office. She has enough sick leave to stay home for 2 months, but can I get her to go when she's really sick....no. Yesterday the lawyer she's assigned to had a FIT when I told him I wanted her to stay home until she got well. He claimed to have deadlines today, but there aren't any on his calendar....so this will be interesting. If she's not here, there will be a temp, but I can't wait to find out what he thinks is so important that we should all be exposed to being sick.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 05:57:23 AM »

Swell picture, Tom. The only thing that visited my yard lately was a bushy-tailed squirrel. I don't know where it came from -- we don't have bushy-tailed squirrels out here.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 05:57:49 AM »

Sometimes it's nice to be able to pull rank.  I also brought in 3 different disinfectants and cleaned all the phones, door knobs etc...I refuse to get sick again

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 05:58:39 AM »

I'm hoping my flowers didn't freeze last night. They look ok right now....better go to work

FJL

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 06:04:36 AM »

In honor of "sort of" - one of my favorite qualifiers, BTW, along with "sorta" - being the title of the notes for the day, here's A SORTA FAIRYTALE, by Tori Amos (not to be confused with Tori Spelling, who is sorta different):

Written by Tori Amos

on my way up north
up on the Ventura
I pulled back the hood
and I was talking to you
and I knew then it would be
a Life Long thing
but I didn't know that we
We could break a silver lining
And I'm so sad
like a good book
I can't put this
Day Back
a sorta fairytale
with you
a sorta fairytale
with you
things you said that day
up on the 101
the girl had come undone
I tried to downplay it
with a bet about us
You said that-
You'd take it
as long as I could
I could not erase it
And I'm so sad
like a good book
I can't put this
Day Back
a sorta fairytale
with you
a sorta fairytale
with you
and I ride along side
and I rode along side
You then
and I rode along side
till you lost me there
in the open road
And I rode along side
till the honey spread
itself so thin
for me to break your bread
for me to take your word
I had to steal it
And I'm so sad
like a good book
I can't put this
Day Back
a sorta fairytale
with you
a sorta fairytale
with you
I could pick back up
whenever I feel

down New Mexico way
something about
the open road
I knew that he was
looking for some Indian Blood and
find a little in you find a little
in me we may be
on this road but
We're just
Imposters
in this country you know
So we go along and we said
we'd fake it
feel better with
Oliver Stone
till I
almost smacked him -
seemed right that night and
I don't know what
takes hold
out there in the
Desert cold
These guys think they must
Try and just get over on us

And I'm so sad
like a good book
I can't put this
Day Back
a sorta fairytale
with you
a sorta fairytale
with you
and I was ridin' by
ridin' along side
for a while till you lost me
and I was ridin' by
ridin' along till you lost me
till you lost
me in
The Rear
View
you lost me
I said
way up North I took my day
all in all was a pretty nice
day and I put the Hood
right back where
You could taste heaven
perfectly
Feel out the summer breeze
didn't know when we'd be back
And I I don't
didn't think
We'd end up like
like this

Ben

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 06:11:21 AM »

Donald, thanks for another great radio show! You put so much effort into these weekly programs, I hope you get the appropriate amount of thanks and congratulations. I know how much work goes into something like this and it can't just be done in the hour before you record.

Thanks again and thank you, Bruce, for continuing to run the show!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 06:12:25 AM »

Oops!  We
(almost)
Did It Again!

What I had been planning on yesterday, after an early shift at work, was to pass my free afternoon by doing laundry, catching up on the doings here and elsewhere on the 'net, and generally relaxing.  It didn't happen.

Der Brucer had recieved a call: there was another puppy that needed rescuing, another black Lab mix that had been dropped off at some dump and needed caring for until a good home could be found.  So we loaded Angie into the car, and off through Sussex County we drove.

The little girl, maybe six weeks old, was being cared for by a family living in a trailer.  Our first intent was to get pictures of Black Betty, as they had dubbed her, for posting on the 'net.  Der B got a few good pics, including a couple of me holding her.  Then Mister Great Ideas (not me, the photographer) suggests that we take her with us.  "The Humane Society of Delaware is holding a Dog Walk on the Boardwalk this Saturday.  We can show her off there, and hopefull find a good home for her."  

Well, the man of the family conferred with his mom, and they agreed that this was a good idea.  They handed us some of the toys that Betty liked to play with (including a frog that played "Easter Parade" when squeezed), and we took Angie and Betty back to our car.  

As usual, when traveling with a dog new to the car, I sat in back, just in case Betty needed comforting.  Betty had other ideas.  She somehow managed to use Angie as a stepladder, and climbed up onto the ledge under the rear window, where she was very happy to ride!

Instead of our going directly home, Der Brucer decided to first drive us to the home of Diane, one of the women with Sussex County Animal Rescue, for a brief conference.  Then we went to the Wash-N-Wag, where Betty got her nails clipped and ears cleaned.  (The women there also did the same for Angie, who is growing like a weed.)  Finally, we headed for home.

Talk about everyone paying attention!  Normally, when I get in the door, everyone wants their doggy biscuits.  Not this time!  Everyone wanted to meet the new puppy, instead!  Fletcher instantly went into DaddyDog mode.  Interestlingly, so did Marty, and he's usually stand-offish.  The others were also curious about this newcomer.  And Betty held her own with all of them, giving little barks and licking noses.

The bad news was, there was a phone call from the fellow who had handed Betty over to us.  His wife had returned home from work, and was heartbroken to learn that Betty was gone.  His mother, realizing how much daughter-in-law loved the pup, had then agreed to letting the couple keep the dog.  Could we bring her back?

We got back in the car.

Betty will be in good hands.  The husband may not be "the sharpest crayon in the box," as der B phrased it, but he didn't strike me as an uncaring sort.  They have two adult dogs already, a Bloodhound and a Golden Retriever, who looked well cared for, and the yard is well fenced.

After we left, der B drove us to see Janet, the woman who had connected us with Angie in the first place.  She was thrilled to see Angie again, a true animal lover, and agreed with der B that we should take Buddy, a full-grown (but still young) black Lab that she's fostering, with us on the Dog Walk.  Buddy and Angie got along just fine.

And so the sun set on my afternoon off.  I didn't get any laundry done.  We didn't add a seventh dog to the household.

Not the greatest ending to a story, I suppose, but satisfying all the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Up