Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: SORT OF  (Read 51438 times)

Ben

Re:SORT OF
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »

Welcome to Page 4!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2006, 12:07:51 PM »

Why thank you, Ben.  Nice page you have here.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2006, 12:12:22 PM »

DR Matt do you have any idea what percentage of the votes are called and what percentaged are texted?

Do those phone votes really count or is it all a waste of time on both sides?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:12:43 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2006, 12:15:58 PM »

My grandmother had a collection of classic comic strips that she would clip from the paper and paste in a scrapbook. They are fun to read. You are right, Vixmom, people would howl now at how some kids are treated but I work in a library and there are kids that leave me shaking my head and it is not for the good.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2006, 12:16:12 PM »

Thanks to a tip on the original orchestra scores to "Brigadoon" being in the NYPL music collection, I discovered a Victor Herbert collection in the NYPL theatre collection that I didn't know exist.  Today, I looked at the original contract for BABES IN TOYLAND, signed March 27, 1903, for a play titled "The Bades in the Woods."  I also looked at contracts for Hal Roach, Disney, and the 1946 Decca Records recording with Kenny Baker.  Very exciting.

I think I will burst into song!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »

Now why isn't this great set on CD?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2006, 12:23:18 PM »

Good question!  I have a classic collection of Jazz from this era and I would love to see that on CD also.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2006, 12:29:33 PM »

Thanks to a tip on the original orchestra scores to "Brigadoon" being in the NYPL music collection, I discovered a Victor Herbert collection in the NYPL theatre collection that I didn't know exist.  Today, I looked at the original contract for BABES IN TOYLAND, signed March 27, 1903, for a play titled "The Bades in the Woods."  I also looked at contracts for Hal Roach, Disney, and the 1946 Decca Records recording with Kenny Baker.  Very exciting.

I think I will burst into song!

I actually have Brigadoon. It belonged to my grandmother.

vixmom

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2006, 12:31:14 PM »

Too many 12 year old recording executives is my guess

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »

Too many 12 year old recording executives is my guess

You could have a point there...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2006, 12:42:47 PM »

Well!  At last.  After two months of the phone not ringing with work, I've got a chart to do for Ron Raines and Debbie Gravitte (phone call #1) and a chart or two for Mario Frangoulis (phone call #2).  Thank you, Jesus!

Also, when I went to Lincoln Center and the NYPL, the line at the Metropolitan Opera gift shop to meet Juan Diego Florez was quite impressive; he's an amazing light tenor, a wonderful performer and one of opera's best lookers.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2006, 12:44:30 PM »

And another!

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2006, 12:49:49 PM »

DR Laura I do not know what kind of cake it will be.  I don't get to choose, because my favorite restaurant provides the birthday cake.

If I did get to choose i'd probably have a grasshopper pie type deal (since chocolate mint chip ice cream is my favorite). Or cheesecake (but the creamy one).

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2006, 12:51:41 PM »

Besides TAR and IDOL i will need to set the VCR for the Carnegie Hall SOTH PACIFIC.

Btw, I just checked on a package i really want today and it says the mailman is out for delivery (since 1pm). I am wondering if it will come. :(

Ben

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »

Hmmm, wonder what this is all about?

Jan Maxwell

vixmom

« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2006, 01:00:10 PM »

Well!  At last.  After two months of the phone not ringing with work, I've got a chart to do for Ron Raines and Debbie Gravitte (phone call #1) and a chart or two for Mario Frangoulis (phone call #2).  Thank you, Jesus!

Also, when I went to Lincoln Center and the NYPL, the line at the Metropolitan Opera gift shop to meet Juan Diego Florez was quite impressive; he's an amazing light tenor, a wonderful performer and one of opera's best lookers.

Excellent News!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2006, 01:01:50 PM »

Jan Maxwell

I'll bet Kim Basinger is behind it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2006, 01:08:32 PM »

DR Matt do you have any idea what percentage of the votes are called and what percentaged are texted?

That's an interesting question, but I've never seen any statistics that breaks down the vote. I'd be interested in knowing that myself.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »

I'll bet Kim Basinger is behind it.

I blame DR Jose!

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2006, 01:14:23 PM »

Well, I spent a nice portion of the early afternoon with the DVD of IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER.

The good news is that the film looks sharp and the Eastmancolor looks pretty good. Not dense saturation, but it's all right. The Dolby 5.1 is comparable to the laserdisc's sound.

But I think they stinted on the aspect ratio. It doesn't look like 2.55:1 to me. In the two numbers where the three male dancers are side-by-side (particularly "Once Upon a Time'), the framing looks very cramped especially on the side with Dan Dailey. I think perhaps this is 2.40:1 instead of the widest aspect ratio.

The single laserdisc of FAIR WEATHER was never framed properly, but when the disc was remastered for the Gene Kelly laserdisc boxed set, that's the first time that everything seemed right with this film on video. I didn't take it out to do a comparison this afternoon, but that's certainly going to happen soon. I want to be able to say definitively that Warners didn't frame this correctly.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2006, 01:16:42 PM »

Watched and enjoyed last night's VERONICA MARS.

spoiler - - - --

Again, not much mystery to this week's episode, but some interesting developments with Veronica and her love life. I really ached for her.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »

Last night's SCRUBS was one of the season's best episodes: very funny and quite poignant, too, what this show does best.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2006, 01:18:25 PM »

And I enjoyed LESS THAN PERFECT as well. Not great comedy, but some of the silliness is contagious, and it looks great in high def.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2006, 01:19:27 PM »

When I go back down, I have the documentary on the making of IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER on the DVD as well as the outtakes which have been ported over from the remastered laserdisc.

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2006, 01:24:45 PM »

Hmmm maybe this is where DR Matthew has got to....

SAN FRANCISCO (April 25) - Believing they had a botched burglary on their hands, police in Hayward, California, called to a house instead found a naked man wedged in its chimney, a police officer said Monday.

"He didn't have a stitch on," Lt. Gary Branson of the Hayward Police Department said, referring to Michael Urbano.

The 23-year-old man came home early Saturday morning and, finding himself locked out and without his keys, tried to enter the single-story house through its chimney.

"He told us he took off his clothes because as he was going down the chimney the clothes would rub up against it and slow him down," Branson said. "If it was skin on cement he felt he would go down easier."

Urbano's effort ended disastrously when a cable-television wire he used to lower himself snapped. He fell and was wedged in a section of the chimney tapering into the home's fireplace.

For the next four hours he cried out for help. A neighbor called police and fire fighters, who dislodged Urbano, Branson said.

vixmom

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »

But we know where you live dept
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. (April 25) - A woman pleaded guilty to fraud and other charges in what a prosecutor said was his first case in which a defendant stole an entire house.

Wendy Jean-Francois, 44, of Morrisville, pleaded guilty Monday in Bucks County Court to multiple counts of fraud, forgery and related charges.

Prosecutors said Jean-Francois sat down Oct. 5 at a settlement table at Rainbow Assurance, a mortgage title firm in Falls, with 97 cents in her bank account.

But she used two checks totaling $63,000 and a letter vouching for them, purportedly from a Wachovia Bank manager, and left with the keys to a $328,000 home, prosecutors said.

The checks turned out to be counterfeit and the letter forged, said David Zellis, first assistant district attorney. "This just boggles the mind," he said. Bucks County Judge Kenneth Biehn deferred Jean-Francois' sentencing for a mental health evaluation.
[/size]

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2006, 01:29:54 PM »

That's the set I got for 50 cents at the library sale!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2006, 01:31:14 PM »

I actually have Brigadoon. It belonged to my grandmother.

Yes, isn't there a Mr. Forsyth and a Mr. Lundy in Brigadoon?  We used to say that was my brother and our next door neighbor....well at least the names were right

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2006, 01:34:17 PM »

Jan Maxwell

sounds like there is a story there

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2006, 01:36:26 PM »

We cannot have ENOUGH Mario Frangoulis...EVER!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up