Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hidden?  (Read 7183 times)

Danise

Hidden?
« on: December 06, 2003, 05:32:38 PM »

Hi Mark,

One thing I noticed is that the board tells who is online as a guest, a user or hidden.  What does "hidden" mean?  Do we have mystery guests?  Will they enter and sign in please?  (That's from an old game show called "What's My Line?" in case you didn't know).

Why would a board have this feature?  If they're hidden, why would it bother to tell you they are there in the first place? Not that I've seen any listed as hidden yet but I've been watching.

Many thanks.
Danise
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 06:58:58 PM by Mr. Mark Bakalor »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
Re:Hidden
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 06:55:23 PM »

Good question, and I'm a fan of WML. :)

The hidden feature simply allows members to shield their presence from the rest of the members when logged on. It means regular members cannot see that they are logged on (other than if that hidden user posts a message, then the evidence of their being logged on is the message itself) and where they are on the site, like we can all other users. The one caveat is that Admin and Moderators CAN see the hidden users, even if hidden.

Does that answer your question? Hope so! :)

Danise

Re:Hidden?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 07:17:08 PM »

So your saying that, for example--I'm hidden.  No one but you, BK and Craig can see me but I will still be listed on the bottom of the page as   Hidden-1  Right?  So people will know there is someone on the the board, only they won't know who or where I am on the board--unless I post something.

But if I'm the only person or one of a few who use the feature, anyone could see there's one hidden person on the board and guess it was me.  Guess I'd just change my name to Casper at that point! :-)

Interesting.  I just don't see the point between doing that and just not logging on if I don't want to be seen.

Thanks, Mark. At least that explains what it means/does.

One question down. ;-)

Danise
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 07:37:23 PM »

Perhaps some would use it to get the features of being a member but who wish not to post or have their identity out there. It's rarely used but an option none the less!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 10:06:45 AM »

The fact is, Danise, only one person has used this feature so far and I know who they are.  That's the amusing thing - they "think" they are hidden from ME, the one person they'd like to be hidden from, and they aren't.  Oops.

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 05:16:46 PM »

Actually, Bruce, that's only partly true. I'm sure this one person you're refering is using the feature for that means, albeit without realizing CERTAIN people can see them as clear as day. However, there are several others who have that setting turned on in additionally as well as others I've seen who seem to turn the feature on and off depending on when they wish to be "seen" by regular members. I see no problem with it being used, not everyone wants to be "on" all the time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 05:59:31 PM »

Had no idea others were using it - I've only seen the one person.
Pages: [1]   Go Up