Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NUCLEAR MELTDOWN  (Read 16818 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:NUCLEAR MELTDOWN
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 08:51:24 AM »

I'm baaaacccck.

Yes, JR is of course right, not only would I like to write a bio of FF, I am writing a bio of FF, though it is not a typical biography.  It is more about my journey finding out the truth about this enigmatic woman (I just typed enigmanic--where's Dr. Freud when you need him?).  It is tentatively titled The Frances Labyrinth and will probably be available circa 2025 or so.  :)

Re:  Barbara Harris.  This is one of my 4 or so anecdotes that I share regularly.  Ms. Harris evidently rented from my Uncles for years in NYC.  When my last Uncle died and I went back to NYC to clean up his estate, we were going through his office and came upon a locked drawer in a file cabinet or desk (can't remember which).  We of course thought we would discover mounds of cash and/or treasures.  In breaking open the drawer we were instead greeted with hundreds of PR photos of Ms. Harris, many of which were personally inscribed to my Uncle.  Weird, eh?  A couple of years ago Jeff Sweet forwarded Ms. Harris' Arizona address to me and I wrote her (I had just MD'd The Apple Tree, so there was at least a semi-non-stalking tack to my tome) and told her about our "find" and asked her if she remembered my Uncles and why he would have so many pics of her.  I never heard back from her.  ;)

I have personally witnessed a BK Three Mile Island, if not a complete Chernobyl.  Be afraid, be very afraid.  And whatever you do, have some Sudafed handy.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 08:52:09 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - I wish I could stay and sleep some more, but she of the Evil Eye will arrive any minute - I'll kill some time here, then leave and wander ailmlessly for a few hours, after which, I shall return.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 09:05:04 AM »

She of the Evil Eye has arrived.  I'm quite tired, but I think I'll go out to the garage and at least package up what I need to ship.   I was thinking about jogging, but it is very chilly and gray out.  

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »

Mornin' all~

Elmore - great news about your visit with the family. Continued best wishes for happiness in the bosom of the clan...

Bruce - the death of illusion is more shattering in many ways than the death of loved ones... give yourself time to grieve, and try to focus on whatever good has come of the longtime association. We are creative beings - whatever stimulates and nurtures our imagination and creativity is a gift.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2006, 09:13:17 AM »

May I call you, if the phone is working???
PennyO

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2006, 09:13:19 AM »

Today's Humor List:

(WARNING - RIGHT WING BIAS AHEAD!)

World's Thinnest Books
~~@~~

FRENCH WAR HEROES
by Jacques Chirac

HOW I SERVED MY COUNTRY
by Jane Fonda

MY BEAUTY SECRETS
by Janet Reno

HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN AIRPLANE
by John Denver

MY SUPER BOWL HIGHLIGHTS
by Dan Marino

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT BILL
by  Hillary Clinton

MY LITTLE BOOK OF PERSONAL HYGIENE
by Osama Bin Laden

THINGS I CANNOT AFFORD
by Bill Gates

THINGS I WOULD NOT DO FOR MONEY
by Dennis Rodman

MY WILD YEARS
by Al Gore

AMELIA EARHART'S GUIDE TO THE PACIFIC

AMERICA'S MOST POPULAR LAWYERS

DETROIT: a Travel Guide

A COLLECTION of MOTIVATIONAL SPEECHES
by Dr. J. Kevorkian

ALL THE MEN I HAVE LOVED BEFORE
by Ellen de Generes

GUIDE TO DATING ETIQUETTE
by Mike Tyson

SPOTTED OWL RECIPES
by the EPA

THE AMISH PHONE DIRECTORY

MY PLAN TO FIND THE REAL KILLERS
by  O. J. Simpson  

BRIDGE TRAVEL    
by Ted Kennedy

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2006, 09:15:31 AM »

Brucer!!! I laughed.

Oh, TOD - I've been thinking and researching for about 18 months for a bio or play about the 2nd wife of Giuseppe Verdi... Giuseppina Strepponi. This is a wonderful story!
PennyO

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »

JRand, technically Penny has returned to her home environment, just doesn’t seem so as she is so rarely there.

Penny that is how I see it, yet you didn't comment.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »

Elmore glad your visit is an upbeat one.  Is your father continuing to loose weight or has his appetite returned?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2006, 09:30:11 AM »

For Mom:

Stainless Steel Chocolate Pump

der Brucer

PS Next will be Chocolate IV's
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2006, 09:41:06 AM »

JMK, interesting day for you to choose to return.  I suspect you have you been lurking & couldn’t resist today’s topic. ;D

JMK

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2006, 09:50:42 AM »

JMK, interesting day for you to choose to return.  I suspect you have you been lurking & couldn’t resist today’s topic. ;D

I've been reading the notes as I could find time, haven't had much time to read the posts, so any info you care to impart....  ??? ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

LOL.  We were in LA last week.  

Have you decided to stay in your house and not move?

JMK

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2006, 10:17:55 AM »

LOL.  We were in LA last week.  

Have you decided to stay in your house and not move?

We're still considering moving.  We just looked at a house yesterday--wasn't quite right.  Have another "viewing" this coming week.  But in the meantime, we've done a ton o' stuff here--new Andersen windows, new couch, new blinds in the living room.

And after almost a year of sanding, I have the damaged hardwood floor *almost* looking OK (from the Bacharach files, LOL).  Do any of you have recommendations on what to varnish it with?  It's a Swedish finish on light Oak.  I have tried both a water based polycrylic and Watco so far, but they both darken the sanded area considerably.  Am I up a creek, or is there something I can use that won't affect the color of the sanded area?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2006, 10:18:08 AM »

Elmore glad your visit is an upbeat one.  Is your father continuing to loose weight or has his appetite returned?

He's eating well, and he looks great.  I don't think he wants to put the 20 lbs back.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »

Today's Humor List:
(WARNING - RIGHT WING BIAS AHEAD!)
World's Thinnest Books
~~@~~
FRENCH WAR HEROES
by Jacques Chirac
HOW I SERVED MY COUNTRY
by Jane Fonda
etc....

Der Brucer – Even taking the “right wing bias” into account, I can’t let the Jane Fonda “joke” pass without comment. Sometimes a person serves his/her country best by questioning the actions of that country. That’s not only a right, but, contrary to the beliefs of the present regime, it’s a duty. Fonda put her career and everything else on the line to protest a war that was killing tens of thousands of young Americans (over 50 thousand by the time it ended) and hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese civilians – men, women and children.
She’s admitted that she made a big mistake posing sitting on the Vietcong anti-aircraft gun. She’s apologized countless times for that mistake. How many of us do not have something akin to that - in one way or another - in our past? And how many of us have the guts to say, “I made mistake. It was a stupid thing to do. I’m sorry.”

I actually think that were Ms. Fonda to write a book about how she served her country - and continues to do so in her work with unwed mothers in Georgia, and many other philanthropic and political causes - it would be quite a massive volume.
End of rant.
(And I was kicked off AOL when I first wrote this - so this is the second rant!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 10:49:34 AM by Maria »

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2006, 10:34:27 AM »

Glad to hear your dad's doing well and looking great, DR Elmore. Continued good vibes!

Jane

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2006, 10:40:50 AM »

JMK, have you had any help with stores that only sell wood floor products?

Initially when we began our remodeling projects the ideal was to fix up & house & maybe sell.  Now we love the house too much.

JMK

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2006, 10:43:21 AM »

Wow, does Maria ever look like Panni!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »

Twins.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2006, 10:50:40 AM »

Maria, I admire the fact that Jane Fonda apologized for some of her actions back then.  However, having spoken to many ex-servicemen who were in Vietnam at the time I can understand their feelings towards her to this day.  I wish they could let it go as she wasn’t the only protester, just the one with the best press.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2006, 10:56:38 AM »

Maria, I admire the fact that Jane Fonda apologized for some of her actions back then.  However, having spoken to many ex-servicemen who were in Vietnam at the time I can understand their feelings towards her to this day.  I wish they could let it go as she wasn’t the only protester, just the one with the best press.

I can understand their feelings, as well. And I think a great deal of the hatred towards her comes from those photos. It's one of those terrible mistakes in life that there is no way of taking back.  

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »

Stimulating as this is, I must get back to my writing. Laters!

JMK

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2006, 11:28:50 AM »

Twins.

I have two twin comments (how apropos, don't both of you think?  ;D):

First, for your obscure Frances Farmer reference of the day:  You and Albert Dekker (JR can 'splain it later).  ;)

Second, more generally accessible and still hilarious to me to this day.  As some of you know, DS Betsy was a long time news anchor.  One day I was with her in the newsroom and happened upon an "AP Pronunciation Guide," which, IIRC, was tailored specifically to the great NW and its many weird Indian names.  Anyway, said guide had page after page of two columns:  left column, the word, right column, the pronunciation.  My favorite entry, which left me literally weak with laughter:

WORD                                              PRONUNCIATION
twin                                                  twin

This has been a running joke in our marriage (sad, I know, yet true).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2006, 11:43:36 AM »

Glad to see JMK back.  She of the Evil Eye is still here, so I'm going out for a jog.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »

Twins.

Separated at birth!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »

Well, I'm happy to report that the nausea that I've been experiencing for the last couple of days has left me.  And I'm very sad to report that it has been replaced with...another condition, but one that starts with the letter "D."  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!  Will this madness ever end?? :P

« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:02:12 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2006, 12:09:17 PM »

It is Kentucky Derby Day, pretty much a state holiday here in KY.  In direct contrast to the huge party we usually threw in LA, we are having only three other couples today. Nonetheless, Julieanne has laid out her usual magnificent feast...particularly the b-b-q chicken BK loves and her famous Bourbon Balls.  

My money's one Sinister Minister...simply because I find far too many ministers sinister these days!

Jane

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2006, 12:20:35 PM »

CP-LOL.      Have a fun party.

George, eat basmati or baked potatoes.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2006, 12:27:10 PM »

My day at the library is drawing to a close.  I've been reading "The Devil Wears Prada" and occasionally laughing over it.  I've screwed up the library's computer systems twice today, and I shall be e&t tomorrow and back on Monday.

The good news is that I heard from our DR Jose, who now has a New York phone number.  Happy Day!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up