Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A VERITABLE FIRST-NIGHTER  (Read 14564 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:A VERITIBLE FIRST-NIGHTER
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2006, 09:29:27 AM »

As for Petula Clark songs...

DITTO  ;)

"Downtown" and "Don't Sleep in the Subway" are the two that immediately come to mind, but I don't think I've ever heard Petula Clark sing a song I didn't like.  -Well, at least her rendition of it.

*And - I'm sure DR Tomovoz will appreciate this - I saw her and the Cassidy brothers in Blood Brothers on Broadway.  Twice!  -And I even the "International Cast Recording" of the show with them.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2006, 09:30:16 AM »

Larry, my thoughts are with you!

Ben

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2006, 09:30:25 AM »

OK all you readers out there, I am trying to slog through The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. The book received great reviews and a National Book Award when it came out in 2001 but I'm having real trouble getting "into" the book. I am about 115 pages into it and I'm reaching my limit. Has anyone else read the book? If so, should I continue? Does it get better? Right now it's just one dysfunctional episode after another and I really don't care. I'm at the point where Enid is asking Denise if she would come home for one last Christmas in St. Jude. I know that sometimes a book needs a few chapters to "take off" but I'm ready to just take it back to the library and find something else. I am not a believer in finishing a book just because I started reading it. There is so much out there to read that if I don't like something I don't see the point in finishing the book. But since this book comes so highly praised, I thought I would ask around for other opinions. If I take it back to the library I will look for Kite Runner and go to another branch if Jefferson Market doesn't have a copy or I will just browse around. Perhaps I can find a copy of the Eileen Heckart bio that DR Larry is reading.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 09:33:34 AM by Ben »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »

And the title of today's Notes reminds me of another song...

"You spell veritable,
And I spell veritible..."
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2006, 09:32:42 AM »

Fav Pet Clark:

Still can't beat Downtown or Don't Sleep in the Subway.

But also very fond of her Chips numbers Walk Through the World With Me and London is London.

BK, I also worked with Rose Marie, in a tacky dinner theatre piece called Everybody's Girl.  I was a replacement in the show which I learned in one day.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2006, 09:32:59 AM »

DR elmore - Thinking of you and your family.

*James and I were thinking of heading to the New York Film Forum tonight to catch that documentary about the Stage Door Manor theatre camp.  Care to join us?  -I'll give you a call in a bit too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2006, 09:38:55 AM »

OK all you readers out there, I am trying to slog through The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. The book received great reviews and a National Book Award when it came out in 2001 but I'm having real trouble getting "into" the book. I am about 115 pages into it and I'm reaching my limit. Has anyone else read the book? If so, should I continue? Does it get better?....

DR Ben - The book is a bit slow-moving - even when it starts "moving", so... I'd say give it another 30 pages or so and decide from there.  It's definitely not casual reading - and I seem to remember having to consult my dictionary a few times while reading it, some of those words!

-I prefer reading David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs to get my fix of dysfunctional family models.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »

Lunchtime!  It's been a pleasant morning in the library.  I spent the first few minutes of my lunch hour standing on the front steps watching the Miami Valley Rainbow Parade.  Now, I'm at my desk listening to WNYC and enjoying the other half of my pork tenderloin sandwich from last night's dinner.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2006, 09:40:07 AM »

DR Ben - And I hope you enjoy The History Boys.  I hope to be able to catch it - and a bunch of other shows - over the next couple of weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2006, 09:46:12 AM »

DR Ben - Nancy Pearl, retired Seattle librarian who invented the One City/One Book concept and who's written Book Lust and More Book Lust suggests the following formula:

Give a book fifty pages and, if it hasn't grabbed you by then, move on to something else.  If you're over age 50, subtract your age from 100 and that's the number of pages a book should get to grab you.  Nancy says something like, "Life's too short to spend time slogging through books that don't draw you in!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2006, 09:47:46 AM »

Ginny, you have become a convert! WNYC, my home station. I listen to Prairie Home Companion on that very station. I'm looking forward to next weekend when the movie opens.

I'm looking forward to History Boys! Next week I'm seeing Stopping Traffic, a one woman show by Mary Pat Gleason. She's a journeyman actor having appeared in character roles in many, many movies and in star spots in lots of television shows. I knew her briefly in Minnesota in the 70s when we were at the U of MN. I hear the show is excellent. It's about her life as an actor dealing with bi-polar disease. Sounds like a downer but if I remember Miss Pat Gleason it should be quite a ride.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »

HEALING VIBES FOR TCB![/size]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 09:51:02 AM by Jane »

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2006, 09:50:52 AM »

DR Ben - Please tell Jason I said HI!

Jane

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »

elmore, my heart goes out to you & your family.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »

TOD:

Downtown

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2006, 09:55:35 AM »

Back to the information marketplace...bye for now!

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2006, 09:57:49 AM »

Just back from a garage sale in south Salem...didn't buy anything...now must get out and mow the lawn and pull some weeds.

This afternoon brother's Dan and Allen will be driving a large truck full of mom's belongings and we will officially move mom in to her new apartment at Jason Lee Manor.

Then a bar-b-q at neice Katie's house in Aumsville.

So that will be my day today.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »

Dear Friends, thank you all for the kind vibes!  I do believe all of them will enormously benefit my Father.  I have to beg your pardon over all of this, because I'll most likely be bringing you down every few days with another update.  I can only hope some will be positive.  When my Mother died, it was a sudden rush:  a week of hell, a week of worse, lingering hell, a rally when I returned to New York, and a death I missed three days later.  This one's going to be longer and no one in my family will get through it as gracefully as I, or they, would like.  All of this confirms that I want to be walking down the street and have a piano/safe/cement block fall on me.

I do thank you all enormously, and appreciate your kindness more than you know.

DR Jose, I would love to see a movie tonight!

DR Ben, we need to do a spot of shopping at the Farmer's Market and, maybe, Academy!

Now we return to SORRY, WRONG NUMBER!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Just listening to the new cast recording of Sunday In The Park With George.  So far, so good.  A few quibbles, but I'm liking what I'm hearing.

...And the whole "Color and Light" sequence... and the break in the middle of "Everybody Loves Louis" ("We lose things, And then we choose things... And there are Louis's... And there are Georges...")... And "Beautiful" still cause me to tear up a bit...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2006, 11:42:07 AM »

OH!

And "Stagedoor" tonight at New York Film Forum, 8:15.  Be there or be square!  -See you later, DR elmore.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2006, 12:40:31 PM »

Elmore, for the most part all we can really do is be here to support you while you go through this, no pardon needed.  I just wish I could take some of the pain from you and make this easier.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2006, 01:01:01 PM »

The Corrections, from what I've seen of it, was just another flavor of the month book - it's a shame the Kritzer books couldn't have had that attention.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2006, 01:01:52 PM »

It's so hot here, I just don't know about a jog, although I'll probably give it a whirl, if only to be out of here while I air condition the house.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2006, 01:42:48 PM »

Back from Ye Olde Jog - very, very difficult - went the two extra blocks but not the two extra extra blocks, as I was ready to faint by the time I finished.  There is simply no air outside.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2006, 01:45:11 PM »

GOod afternoon!

The sun joined us in the late morning, but not enough to make it unendurable. Very beautiful outside, but I'm content to stay indoors today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2006, 01:47:19 PM »

OK all you readers out there, I am trying to slog through The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. The book received great reviews and a National Book Award when it came out in 2001 but I'm having real trouble getting "into" the book. I am about 115 pages into it and I'm reaching my limit. Has anyone else read the book? If so, should I continue? Does it get better? Right now it's just one dysfunctional episode after another and I really don't care. I'm at the point where Enid is asking Denise if she would come home for one last Christmas in St. Jude. I know that sometimes a book needs a few chapters to "take off" but I'm ready to just take it back to the library and find something else. I am not a believer in finishing a book just because I started reading it. There is so much out there to read that if I don't like something I don't see the point in finishing the book. But since this book comes so highly praised, I thought I would ask around for other opinions. If I take it back to the library I will look for Kite Runner and go to another branch if Jefferson Market doesn't have a copy or I will just browse around. Perhaps I can find a copy of the Eileen Heckart bio that DR Larry is reading.

I have it but have never been able to get through it, so I don't know if it gets better.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »

I was on the phone for a bit but did manage to watch a couple of things on video.

First up was the remainder of the Anne Bolyn segment of THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »

And the title of today's Notes reminds me of another song...

"You spell veritable,
And I spell veritible..."

I don't know WHAT you're talking about.  :o

Serves me right for taking the word of the Word spell check.  The dictionary certainly says "table".

Matt H.

Re:A VERITABLE FIRST-NIGHTER
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2006, 01:51:24 PM »

Then, I put in TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME. The score by Edens, Comden, and Green is so much fun. And apart from some speckles, the DVD looks grand.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A VERITABLE FIRST-NIGHTER
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2006, 01:51:30 PM »

Eating some pineapple and watching a DVD.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up