Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A VERITABLE FIRST-NIGHTER  (Read 14697 times)

Cillaliz

Re:A VERITIBLE FIRST-NIGHTER
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2006, 01:51:33 PM »

Ginny, you have become a convert! WNYC, my home station. I listen to Prairie Home Companion on that very station. I'm looking forward to next weekend when the movie opens.

I'm looking forward to History Boys! Next week I'm seeing Stopping Traffic, a one woman show by Mary Pat Gleason. She's a journeyman actor having appeared in character roles in many, many movies and in star spots in lots of television shows. I knew her briefly in Minnesota in the 70s when we were at the U of MN. I hear the show is excellent. It's about her life as an actor dealing with bi-polar disease. Sounds like a downer but if I remember Miss Pat Gleason it should be quite a ride.

I love Prairie Home Companion. It was really fun when they broadcast from Sioux City - although I think their research people looked up Sioux County instead of Sioux City - nothing he said of the history was accurate for Sioux City. I was surprised. We have a very colorful history, lots of stuff to use in stories....but it was still fun

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A VERITABLE FIRST-NIGHTER
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2006, 01:54:26 PM »

I'll be starting on WORDS AND MUSIC when I finish with BALLGAME.

I'm saving THE INNOCENTS for when it gets totally dark outside so I can appreciate those superb black and white compositions of the photography with no ambient light spoiling them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2006, 01:59:08 PM »

It's too darn hot... I've unpacked a few more boxes and made some potato salad for later.  I did buy a telephoto lens for my new camera. I'm hoping to go to Spirit Mound early in the morning.  It's all prairie flowers there, although I don't know what would be in bloom now.   Anyway, there are usually lots of birds which should be good for checking out the telephoto

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »

Hasn't MattH had the DVD of The Innocents for many weeks now?

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »

Hasn't MattH had the DVD of The Innocents for many weeks now?

No, just about 10 days. I didn't buy it when it first came out because I had just seen it on the Fox Movie Channel - widescreen but not enhanced. I'm really looking forward to it tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2006, 02:20:47 PM »

I've spent a very frustrating part of the afternoon searching for the animated 101 DALMATIANS. I could have sworn I had the DVD, but it was nowhere to be found. So, I thought maybe I never bought the DVD because I KNEW I had the laserdisc. Well, the laser wasn't downstairs. So, I began an exhaustive search upstairs for the laser and have finally found it.

But, with its being upstairs, that means I DID have the DVD and someone has borrowed it. Now, I must track that down.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2006, 02:22:52 PM »

And now, I think I'll head back downstairs with my prized laserdisc (not to watch but to file back into its place) and see the conclusion of TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME.

WBBL.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2006, 02:23:47 PM »

Cillaliz, HISTORY BOYS is brilliant!  Saw it in London when it first played the National.  Terrific piece of theatre!

BK, no bookfair?

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2006, 02:41:03 PM »

Cillaliz, HISTORY BOYS is brilliant!  Saw it in London when it first played the National.  Terrific piece of theatre!

BK, no bookfair?

CP - I was referring to the Prairie Home Companion part of the post, but I would LOVE to see HISTORY BOYS...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2006, 02:42:56 PM »

Good day Cilla, I agree, I was surprised that they did not cover Sioux City more.

They have broadcast twice from Grand Forks.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2006, 02:44:10 PM »

Went for a long walk today, did some buff hunting, some writing and walked back. Warm her today and breezy.

I actually got a fair amount of writing done. I am impressed for it has been tough lately to do much writing due to writer's block....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »

Has anyone read the book called, "The Historian"?

Ben

« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »

CP I agree 110%. Oh, what an afternoon in the theatre. I loved it. And I stood! I will try and see it again for standing room. Worth every penny of the $22.25. Richard Griffiths will be the recipient of the Tony for Best Actor in a Play, no question. My friend had some trouble with the dialects (it takes place in the Yorkshire area of England and they have heavy accents). He was not quite as taken with it as I but he is not an Anglophile like me. What a great afternoon.

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2006, 03:27:01 PM »

Thanks for remembering my admiration for "Blood Brothers"  DR Jose. LOL

DR JRand.  "This Is My Song"  - Chaplin's song from "A Countess in Hong Kong".  It was Pet's only #1 recording here.  Her next biggest seller was 1961/2's "Romeo" (Salome) (I think music by Robert Stoltz)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »

My editor told me I didn't need to come by, as he was just transfering stuff, so I toddled over to the book fair.  This particular fair is always pretty dreary - I saw some dealers I know, and I made one five-dollar purchase - an original ad mock-up for the film Sweet Charity.  This is when it had just opened road show and was a HUGE bomb.  Universal was trying everything to turn it around and this ad is hilarious proof of how low they sunk - it features a photo of a group of about maybe a hundred people - all different types, smiling, looking happy - the tag line is: They've all just seen Sweet Charity.  I couldn't resist it for five bucks.  Otherwise it was the usual dealers with the usual overpriced stuff.  In fact, the guy I got the ad from was the only dealer there who was reasonable - everything he had for sale was five dollars.  Unfortunately, he had nothing interesting except this ad.  There was one real bargain which I saw as soon as I entered - a first edition of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way To The Forum - a nice copy but with a faded spine.  It was seventy-five bucks and a bargain in that condition - that book usually goes for two to three hundred bucks - but I just didn't feel like spending the dough.

FJL

« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2006, 03:42:45 PM »

Continued vibes of strength to Larry and his family.

FJL

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2006, 03:44:19 PM »

Seeing SPRING AWAKENING tonight, but feeling tired.  Hearing very mixed things about it, but I'm hoping it's lively at least.

MBarnum

« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »

Back from moving my mom into her apartment...whew...it is so friggin humid today and we were all sweating up a storm!

Brothers Allen, Dan, Jeff and I along with nephew-in-law Brian unloaded and took the stuff up to mom's 3rd floor apartment (thankful for the elevator). Sister Sue unpacked and chatted with people (  ::) ) while mom directed the flow of traffic.

What wouldn't fit into my mom's place (she has a studio for now, she  move into a 1 bedroom as one is available) is now stuffed into my garage.

Dan, Allen, and I took the moving truck back (they both drove 4 hours up from Medford this morning with the truck load) and they are headed east to Aumsville where my neice Katie is fixing to barbeque for us all.

Allen told me that DR Jane says to say "hi" to me!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »

I have showered and cleaned up. Bosco and I will now drive over to Aumsville to join the rest of the crew for hamburgers.

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2006, 03:56:15 PM »

Oh, and while I was out the mailman delivered a very nice package from Australia containing some fantastic CDs...one of which I am listening to right now...Eurovision!!!!

Thanks Tomovoz!

Cillaliz

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2006, 04:31:06 PM »

For anyone who is a Prairie Home Companion fan. Meryl Streep and John C. Reilly are on the show this week singing some of the songs they sing in the movie.

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2006, 04:32:51 PM »

Seeing SPRING AWAKENING tonight, but feeling tired.  Hearing very mixed things about it, but I'm hoping it's lively at least.

Perhaps the Awakening is just what you need

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2006, 05:15:32 PM »

Back from moving my mom into her apartment...whew...it is so friggin humid today and we were all sweating up a storm!

Brothers Allen, Dan, Jeff and I along with nephew-in-law Brian unloaded and took the stuff up to mom's 3rd floor apartment (thankful for the elevator). Sister Sue unpacked and chatted with people (  ::) ) while mom directed the flow of traffic.

What wouldn't fit into my mom's place (she has a studio for now, she  move into a 1 bedroom as one is available) is now stuffed into my garage.

Dan, Allen, and I took the moving truck back (they both drove 4 hours up from Medford this morning with the truck load) and they are headed east to Aumsville where my neice Katie is fixing to barbeque for us all.

What?  No pictures?

A photo of all the Brothers Barnum would indeed be a prize!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 05:17:31 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2006, 05:18:37 PM »

I have been told that there was a special photo waiting for me on HHW. . . .and I say, "Thank you, Jose!"
There are also photos of me on JimStanek.com in the galleries on Tony Walton's wonderful FORUM set. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2006, 05:18:56 PM »

td!!!  You are here!

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2006, 05:20:05 PM »

You have truly been missed.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2006, 05:39:20 PM »

If I had know you were going to return home before going to the BBQ I would have said to say hello to Allen from us.  Now I have missed you again.

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »

td!!!  You are here!

Actually, I'm STILL here. . . ah!  a FOLLIES reference!

I have so little time. . . .

:'(

It's off to work I trudge.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2006, 05:59:30 PM »

Well, one of my top-ten worst nightmares has just happened - I was at my local DVD store doing some trading.  I had my wallet in my hand, as I always do.  I probably put it on the counter briefly while the owner was doing the trades and bagging the new stuff.  I went to my car, drove directly home (two minutes away), looked in my glove compartment (where I keep said wallet whilst driving) and it wasn't there.  I looked all over the car, thinking I'd dropped it - not there.  Immediately drove back and ran into the store - nothing.  When I was there, there were only three or four people, but my guess is that either someone walked in, saw it, lifted it, and walked out, or one of the people in the store grabbed it on their way out.  The owner looked everywhere, I retraced my steps to the car - nothing.  I HATE THIS!  I called my bank and put blocks on my ATM cards, and blocks on my two credit cards.  I then immediately filed a police report, but now I have to deal with getting a new license, my favorite pic of my daughter was in that wallet (one I've had since 1974), my social security card that I've had since I was sixteen, auto club, DGA, SAG, and AFTRA cards, blah, blah, blah.  Horrible, and I hope whoever took it dies a slow and horrible death - unless it's returned, of course, in which case they can live a long and healthful life.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2006, 06:04:41 PM »

td-I'm so glad you stopped by.  See you tomorrow?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up