Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MOW  (Read 31982 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:MOW
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2006, 08:11:13 AM »

Now, can someone tell me why I woke up at six in the morning.

I woke up at 4:45.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:11:49 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2006, 08:12:16 AM »

bk, was it perhaps not possible for the producer of that documentary to be able to get clearance rights to those clips? Hard to imagine he'd do a tribute to the form without including some of those classics.

I mean, the man may be inept, but should we perhaps give him the benefit of the doubt until we get all the facts? It's only fair.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2006, 08:15:17 AM »

Well, no Fox musicals for me today. Watching THE DOLLY SISTERS twice yesterday put the kibosh on watching any more of them for a couple of days (I have THAT NIGHT IN RIO on the DVR as well.) Dr. Drew Casper may think they're the equal of the MGM musicals, but I find a little goes a long way with Fox musicals.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2006, 08:16:16 AM »

Question for BK:

I watched (courtesy of Netflix) YOUNG LOVE last night...tell me everything you can remember about Michael Burns and Brenda Sykes.

Don't remember much about Brenda except she was very nice.  Michael and I were very good friends back then - and he starred in one incarnation of my musical (my first produced book musical), Start At The Top, along with Donna Baccala.  We later did a pilot/MOW called The Adventures of Freddie (retitled The Mystical Magical Magnet of Santa Mesa) - I was the first one cast (didn't even have to audition or read - they just ran Nudie Musical and gave me the second lead in the show), and they had such trouble finding the lead that they asked me to test and maybe switch parts.  I didn't want to - a few days later they found Michael.  We went on location somewhere (not far away) for two days, but they never got to me - they kept getting behind for reasons I don't remember.  And then I got the chicken pox (my daughter had it, and I'd never had it).  They then rearranged the entire shooting sched to put all my stuff at the end two weeks later.  But, I had a really bad case, and even though I was basically over it in a week, it took forever to clear up.  When it was time to shoot, they brought me in to one of the Westmore makeup boys and he tried, oh, how he tried, but it was useless - he couldn't cover up the scabs.  They had to quickly recast - Dick Blasucci did it (later a writer for SCTV) - unfortunately, Blasucci was not such a good actor and he had no chemistry with Michael.  Had we done the show I think it would have sold.

The amusing postscript is that whenever they used to show the MOW on TV, I was always listed as one of the stars in TV Guide.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2006, 08:18:08 AM »

I will watch BIG BROTHER tonight to see the potential contestants from previous years. One of them, Bunky Miller from Season 2, was an acquaintance of mine who did a couple of shows with me back in the late 1990s. His face has been featured on commercials for the upcoming vote, but I don't think that necessarily means he's going to be one of the 20 we get to select from.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2006, 08:19:31 AM »

bk, was it perhaps not possible for the producer of that documentary to be able to get clearance rights to those clips? Hard to imagine he'd do a tribute to the form without including some of those classics.

I mean, the man may be inept, but should we perhaps give him the benefit of the doubt until we get all the facts? It's only fair.

Because it was DGA commissioned, Mr. Workman had access to everything.  And he included clips from studios who produced some of the classics I mentioned.  I'd understand if there were no prints to go from, but we know The Glass House and Queen of the Stardust Ballroom and Night Stalker, etc. are all on DVD.  Universal produced many classic MOWs (especially for ABC) and so did Fox, and very few of those were represented.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2006, 08:32:44 AM »

Perhaps the rights holders wanted too much money. I'm sure he had a budget.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2006, 08:40:35 AM »

Well, you can believe what you wish.  If he got the rights to Duel, why would that have precluded him getting the rights to any other Universal film.  If he'd spent less time fawning over much more current and much less classic mini-series and MOWs, that would have been much better.  And I'm not sure how to make this clearer - when it's DGA commissioned and only going to be shown at this event, then there are no monies for clips - they're donated.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2006, 08:44:01 AM »

I just think if it bothered you enough to mention it to us, I'd Google this man, get his e-mail address, and let him know you enjoyed what he presented but were disappointed that more MOW clips weren't selected. When I've done less than admirable jobs with things I've been assigned, I've appreciated being told (tactfully) so I could attempt to do better in the future.

Maybe he's got an explanation; that's all I'm alluding to. I'd be curious to see his defense of his project.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:44:39 AM by Matt H. »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2006, 08:53:03 AM »

TRIBES, heck yeah, that's a classic. Would have been at home on the big screen.

Somebody needs to get the word out that the point of a montage is not to give people three seconds of random clips thrown together willy nilly.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »

Ed Begley Jr. was in a movie trailer I saw the other day for a film called WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2006, 09:02:56 AM »

Good Morning!

-While it's still "morning" here on the East Coast....
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2006, 09:04:54 AM »

If Mr. Workman had been there, I would have told him.  Nick was as disappointed as I in the rather disjointed quality of it all, as well as the absence of way too many classics.  But, I've found Mr. Workman's work has been on a downhill slide for years, even though he was kind enough to include a clip of Nudie Musical in one of his productions.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2006, 09:05:16 AM »

Well... 24 hours from now I should be ending my first production meeting up at New York Stage & Film on the beautiful campus of Vassar in Poughkeepsie, NY.  I just got done with another conference call, and we set the plan of attack for the next plan of attack (meaning tomorrow).

I will have internet access while I'm up there, but I have sense that I will be working long days, so...  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2006, 09:07:05 AM »

I think I may have gained a pound or two back over the last few days - very annoying, I must say.  Maybe not, though - hard to tell.  I'll take it easy for the next three days or so in terms of food intake, but the fact is I've eaten well under 2000 calories a day, plus I've been jogging every day - I just think I've had one of those weeks where no matter what you do you don't lose.  Then the next week you end up losing three or four pounds.  This final ten pounds is proving to be difficult.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2006, 09:07:56 AM »

Heading down now to start preparing lunch.

WBBL.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2006, 09:11:07 AM »

THe last 10 are indeed difficult to lose..
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2006, 09:11:21 AM »

Good day one and all!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2006, 09:17:47 AM »

Now, can someone tell me why I woke up at six in the morning.

Because the cows came home and all the mooing woke you up.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:18:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2006, 09:19:09 AM »

MOW......

Let me see there are some I remember and a few I wish could forget for the lack of quality.

Tracey Thurman story
Glory, Glory
Never Forget
The Secret Annex
Til we meet again
The Day after
Testament [not sure if was a theatrical release or not - very bleak and depressing]

**will add more later if others come to mind. There is probably more but none that are making a connection at the moment.

My all time favorite miniseries is
Centennial

Other miniseries that I liked are
Roots
Holocaust
Lonesome Dove

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2006, 09:21:04 AM »

I think I may have gained a pound or two back over the last few days - very annoying, I must say.  Maybe not, though - hard to tell.  I'll take it easy for the next three days or so in terms of food intake, but the fact is I've eaten well under 2000 calories a day, plus I've been jogging every day - I just think I've had one of those weeks where no matter what you do you don't lose.  Then the next week you end up losing three or four pounds.  This final ten pounds is proving to be difficult.

Well, also keep in mind that since you've been jogging consistently, your leg muscles are probably bigger, more developed... And the legs muscles are the biggest muscles in your body...  You may not be losing weight, but you're most likely losing body fat and gaining muscle...  And muscle weighs more than fat...

-And plateaus do happen...

-And if your pants continue to fit better, well... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2006, 09:21:05 AM »

BK, if anyone deserved to be decked last night, it was Graeme Clifford.  After said decking, perhaps you could have regaled him with, "I wanted to be nickel and dimed to death with facts."  (Mr. Clifford defends the absurd liberties his "biopic" took with the truth by saying the filmmakers didn't want to nickel and dime people to death with facts).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2006, 09:21:56 AM »

Good day, Dakota!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »

We had another cool night, thankfully.  It was quite warm yesterday, but the HOT is supposed to HIT today.

I don't do hot well.

And I'm glad that I didn't wake up this morning with a death wish.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »

That's all I'm sayin' 'bout THAT!

No....don't ask.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2006, 09:22:46 AM »

I remember the very first ABC MOW (which I think we've discussed before):  Seven in Darkness, with (IIRC) Milton Berle, Red Buttons and (maybe???) Lesley Ann Warren.  Seven blind people survive a plane crash.  I still remember them inching across a washed out bridge, unaware they're about to fall into the raging river below.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2006, 09:36:14 AM »

Miasma flared up about two years ago.

Fortunately, I have mialbuterol inhaler to help me over rough spots.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2006, 09:38:40 AM »

I watched the first six episodes of "Lois and Clark", Season 3, last night.

I had forgotten about the season 3 proposal, and the mood swings of both characters as to whether or not they really wanted to be married to one another.

I do recall thinking they both needed bitch-slapping until they married and started making babies.

But the show continued to sustain my interest for the season and the final two episodes I am anticipating GREATLY....they led to a great cliffhanger that was neatly resolved in Season 4.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2006, 09:39:50 AM »

Was I the only one my age who felt the Movies of the Week were a letdown most of the time?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »

Graeme Clifford is one of those people who looks extremely cocky.  Don't care for that look at all.

Back from a hugely difficult jog - I don't know why but I was ready to quit after the third block.  I didn't, however, and went the full distance plus the extra distance.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up