Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EVELYN WOOD  (Read 20943 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:EVELYN WOOD
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2003, 12:57:23 PM »

Noel - there is a small green card that is a LOT like the Certified Mail card that you have to fill out and declare what is in the package and if it is a gift or merchandise and the value....how you do that I think determines if there is a charge at the other end.  

You can get the cards at the post office, but you have to stand in line to get it stamped and signed and all.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2003, 12:57:35 PM »

I wrote:

What are mint M+Ms? Just regular ones with minty flavored chocolate?  

Oh, you Canadians!

Well didn't they say they were new?

I dunno we probably have them here, I have just not seen them or tried them.

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2003, 01:01:14 PM »

Hey what happened to the birthday boy?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2003, 01:04:31 PM »

THanks for asking DR Diane. There were about 45 people there, but really only one of them seemed to be interested in the same role I was going for, Sipos. I have worked with this actor before, and his singing is very pitchy and inconsistent though he's certainly a good enough actor to pull it off (though in the reading, I didn't think much of his delivery). The dance part of the audition wasn't very challenging, just four sets of 8, but he didn't get on the correct foot for the turns and screwed them up. Of course, the principals don't do much dancing in SHE LOVES ME, so I suspect the director didn't care about that. I made no mistakes in my audition that I'm aware of, but as we all know, often it's the look that gets the person a role rather than talent or audition acumen, so we'll have to wait and see. We were told we'd be called by Thursday if we're to offered anything. No call for me thus far.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2003, 01:11:21 PM »

They have mint flavoured oscar winning singers now?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2003, 01:20:47 PM »

Jrand 53 - I know the question wasn't for me, but I'll answer anyway... The best ever ever ever "backstage" movie about movies is Truffaut's DAY FOR NIGHT. That's only my humble opinion, but I'll challenge anyone who questions it to a duel. Mind you, as far as I'm concerned M. Truffaut could do no wrong, but still, this film is magnifique.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2003, 01:21:27 PM »

The radio is currently playing the theme from "55 Days At Bejing". A #1 hit here in 1963 but I don't think anywhere else. I think the poopularity of the theme (not the love theme) actually made the movie a box office success here. 1963 was such a great year MBarnum. The Beatles had their first hits here too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2003, 01:26:14 PM »

"Day for Night" Brilliant indeed. Love the French title even more "La Nuit Americain" as it actually has more meaning hidden there. The performance of Valentina Cortese was wonderful.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2003, 01:29:19 PM »

I wrote:  
 Well didn't they say they were new?

I dunno we probably have them here, I have just not seen them or tried them.

I'm sorry, Jennifer, I was just giving you a bad time.  However, if they haven't gotten around to selling Peanut Butter M&Ms in Canada, they probably don't have the mint flavor there either.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2003, 01:29:36 PM »

Remember when Ingrid Bergman won the Oscar for MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, and from the stage she apologized to Valentina (whom she defeated) by saying she thought Valentina should have and was going to win.

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2003, 01:37:10 PM »

Knowing someone 'above the line' on Average Joe, I can say that A GREAT DEAL of what you saw on screen was GREATLY MANIPULATED by the production team (much more than is considered the 'norm' on these types of shows). I checked out a couple of shows but ultimately tuned out because I resented all the hokey/ staged/fake nonsense going-on... it became - for me - just amateur-hour TV.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2003, 01:38:20 PM »

DAY FOR NIGHT - does that have the scene where the actress keeps opening the closet door for an exit?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2003, 01:42:15 PM »

How come no one has mentioned Mary Tyler Moore walking-out on her show in previews??

Sources tell me the letter written by Simon spoke the truth-- but was extremely harsh.

I'm also told that MTM had an earpiece for line prompts.

Was MTM over reacting... or had a knee-jerk reaction (and didn't consider her cast & crew)?

Simon has a history of these sorts of reactions... but could he have handled this with a bit more... tact?

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2003, 01:49:16 PM »

Last Post (because I have to keep an even pace in MY edit bay with BK in HIS bay):

My wife and I worked w/Debbie Reynolds on two different projects... and both of us walked away with similar impressions:

She's the ultimate old-school PRO.

Prompt. Courteous. Hits her marks and knows her lines. Knows how to have fun, but comes to get the job done-- it would take a team of horses to keep her from coming to work (I saw her do two shows one night with a blinding headache and a nasty head cold-- yet she never let-on to the audience, or let it effect her performance).

She's been bankrupt twice in her life, but has never complained about it, and soldiered-on. Sad that she is now forced to auction a bunch of her hollywood movie prop collection...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2003, 01:50:01 PM »

Happy Birthday, MBarnum! We want a dinner and cake report later today!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2003, 01:52:55 PM »

I lied...

One Last Post. Really...

A friend just wrote that their grandfather (?) is auctioning a chair used in the filming of "Camelot" on Ebay (I guess just type-in "Camelot Chair). Comes with all sorts of documentation... art director sketches... etc., etc (I'm told this person was given the chair as recognition for the work he did on the show by the filmmakers).

Won't come cheaply... but could be interesting to check-out.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2003, 01:53:30 PM »

When Debbie had her hotel in Las Vegas, I enjoyed her Hollywood costume and prop museum there. It was only a fraction of her holdings, but I understand she kept things revolving in and out of the place in trying to get repeat business. Another venture for her that didn't pan out, but a noble venture nonetheless.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2003, 01:58:02 PM »

Tom from Oz: PEKING not Beijing.  One of my favorite Tiomkin scores.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2003, 01:59:46 PM »

Good afternoon.

I decided to head back home between shows.  This way I can mope here at home - and be online - instead of moping in the green room at the theatre for a few hours.  Good noon show today, and we had some very good questions and comments at the talkback afterwards.  There seemed to be a lot of already-dedicated-to-the-theatre high school students in the audience today.  The technical questions were fun to answer.

I'm feeling better today.  Still "something" in the air, but I'm hoping it gets straightened out soon enough.  My back is better... just a little tight and sore, and I'm hoping it will work itself out by the end of the day.  But no more sharp pains every time I turn my torso.  *I'm soooo happy I invested in a "drum throne" last year to use for my piano bench.  So comfortable, adjustable, and it has back support!

And DR Emily, I love you too!   ;D  -And you have mail.

Well... I've read today's posts, but I still have to read-read yesterday's posts.

Oh, and as for Evelyn Wood.. My high school actually offered speed-reading during my sophomore year.  It was a very neat class.  It was part of our English class, and we would go into the reading lab about once a week.  There were these little machines that had this bar that would move down the page, and you could control the speed.  It really worked!  And when I'm in a major reading mode, it does come back to me, and I actually do remember and comprehend everything.  *And a lot of "it" depends upon the width of a standard book and/or newspaper column - so with internet postings, it's a little difficult since the span is wider than normal.

-Or something like that...

Well, time to mope around some more... Although, actually, I have a couple of things to take care of while I'm back home...  Later.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2003, 02:11:53 PM »

Oh, and a quick "response" in regards to actors being out of shows...

Yes, there are some people who are "infamous" for being out of shows.  Taking personal days just because they know there is an understudy or swing who can step in for them.  BUT for the most part, at least in my experience, most actors want to be on that stage for each and every single performance.  One of the problems we deal with today with all the "star casting" is that because they are stars, they have other commitments and other offers to consider and accept.  As for Mssrs. Lane and Broderick being out of The Producers... Both of them were dealing with "vocal issues" - especially Mr. Lane.  Also, people get sick.  Working in a theatre is indeed a "closed environment" - if one person gets sick, someone else is bound to get sick too..  Yes, a person can be the proverbial trouper, but if that trouper ends up passing on his/her cold/flu/infection/ailment to the rest of the cast...  This is especially true during cold/flu season - which we're in right now.  Producers can't afford to have half their ensemble out with the same cold - and I've been in situations where half the cast had picked up the "sniffles".  And, for me at least, I'd rather see a healthy, happy actor on stage, rather than some sick star - I'd sit (and I have sat) there wondering the whole time if the "star" was going to make it through the whole show... or even just the act... or even just through the song.. the high note.

*My big disclaimer:  I go to see a show to see a show.  I don't go to see stars.  If a show is good, a show is good.  Yes, performances and performers do make a difference, but overall, I believe a good, solid show is only enhanced by a good actor.  -Of course, a bad actor can totally kill a show - and there are many examples of that happening.  If I want to see a "star", I go to a concert or a cabaret.

-Well, that was a ramble... I'll probably edit after I get back from tonight's show.. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2003, 02:13:54 PM »

Spelling question:

trouper  OR trooper - ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Emily

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2003, 02:22:07 PM »

I believe it is trooper

(despite my Canuckian instinct to, when in doubt, add a "u") :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2003, 02:22:07 PM »

I wish they had offered speed reading when I was in high school. I was often tempted to take the Evelyn Wood classes when they would be advertised in my area, but there was always something else to do and I never did.

Emily

« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2003, 02:24:58 PM »

I am at work now and am feeling much happier.

Perhaps it is all this talk of Mint M&M's ;)

I want Mint M&M's... although I would settle for MINT SMARTIES (oh yum):

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2003, 02:28:06 PM »

So much for being politically correct BK! I may live on the other side of the world but .... I thought someone would take the bait! Thanks.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2003, 02:31:51 PM »

"trouper": actor in a theatre. Then perhaps it is trooper in a theater in North America!
James Thurber 1957

Laura II

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2003, 02:37:03 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday to you![/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday to you![/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday, MBarnum![/move][move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday to you! [/move]

And many more!

Hope you have a wonderful evening!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 02:38:30 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2003, 02:41:26 PM »

I'm sorry, Jennifer, I was just giving you a bad time.  However, if they haven't gotten around to selling Peanut Butter M&Ms in Canada, they probably don't have the mint flavor there either.

Well they might have them at Walmart or other stores with lots of candy.

Everytime I look at the pharmacy they have all kinds of new flavors of old chocolate. I just have not seen the M+Ms. But they could be there :)

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2003, 02:44:38 PM »

Knowing someone 'above the line' on Average Joe, I can say that A GREAT DEAL of what you saw on screen was GREATLY MANIPULATED by the production team (much more than is considered the 'norm' on these types of shows). I checked out a couple of shows but ultimately tuned out because I resented all the hokey/ staged/fake nonsense going-on... it became - for me - just amateur-hour TV.

Hey you can't say this and leave us :)

I need to know more. PLEASE.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2003, 02:46:22 PM »

DR George: Those look like M+Ms to me :)

That's true!  I never thought of that. ;D  I wonder if there's such a thing as a Muppet M&M?  :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up