Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RED LICORICE  (Read 50787 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:RED LICORICE
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

Only had time to watch two LONG movies tonight.

First up was GRAND PRIX, recorded off TCM. I'm sure the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on the new DVD set is more impressive than the Dolby Surround track used on the TCM broadcast, and because the DVD is an enhanced transfer, naturally, it's going to be even sharper than the very sharp image shown over TCM.

But what I saw was certainly enough to satisfy my curiosity about the film after not seeing it for so many years. Great racing footage and really silly dramatic sequences. I am SO not an Yves Montand fan; he seems to spoil for me most every English film in which he appears. And dubbing Mifune with Paul Frees speaking some kind of accented, broken English was pretty ludicrous, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »

Hi Tomovoz good to see you

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »

PAGE 5>>>>>SOMEONE DANCE!!!!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2006, 08:37:43 PM »

Page Five Yzma Dance!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2006, 08:39:56 PM »

Hmmm, TCB, I wonder if BOMBAY DREAMS will be coming to Portland then?

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2006, 08:40:55 PM »

Imagine - Randy Crawford
Blackbird - Paul McCartney
Here There and Everywhere - The Beatles
Creeque Alley - The Mamas & Papas
Farewell to Tarwathie - Judy Collins
Beyond The Sea - Bobby Darin
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »

Hello DR CillaLiz.  Rainy Sunday Afternoon here in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2006, 08:43:14 PM »

Dear Reader Laura, Did you see Nancy Grace tonight on the killers?  I hate watching that show, but I was too interested not to watch tonight.

No. Is that cable? I don't get premium cable stations.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2006, 08:43:57 PM »

My baby Gila woodpecker fell out of the nest.  :-(
The nest is about 15 feet above ground in a cavity in the top of the saguaro cactus. We can't get it back up there.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:46:05 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »

And then I spent the next two hours with the Superbit edition of THE FIFTH ELEMENT. I haven't seen this film since I saw it and was underwhelmed in the theater. Seems to have developed a cult of its own during the last 8 years or so.

Anyway, I keep noticing that after all these years, many calibrators and reviewers in my home theater magazines still often use the Superbit edition to test drive the newest HDTVs. So, I found a used copy of the film in its Superbit edition and played it tonight.

I have to admit, the video is awesome to behold on this edition, especially using my upconversion DVD player. And the DTS sound is still state of the art, at least on my system. It was very impressive.

And the movie was more fun the second time around, too, since I knew it was a cartoonish action picture. Chris Tucker still irritated the devil out of me.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2006, 08:47:57 PM »

So tomorrow, I'll watch DANCING LADY and TOO MANY GIRLS on DVD. And I may break out Joan Crawford's A WOMAN'S FACE on laserdisc to watch. I haven't seen it in a long, long time.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2006, 08:49:37 PM »

For some reason TCM canceled the showing of TWO SISTERS FROM BOSTON and is showing other June Allyson pics tomorrow, I'm assuming movies where she plays more of a leading role: LITTLE WOMEN, GOOD NEWS, TOO YOUNG TO KISS. I guess this is to honor her passing. They're also reshowing her Private Screenings interview with RObert Osborne tomorrow.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »

Any of you hear of a restaurant called Grizzlys?

TCB, when I was in Seattle a few years back, my cousins and I went to a restaurant called Barnabys. Are you familiar with it?

Loved Kells near Pike Place Market.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2006, 08:58:49 PM »

Heading for bed now.

GOod night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »

TCB, not sure if Matt was there or not today. I know he was not going to be Sunday due to a family emergency....

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »

Got my vanilla custard ice cream...hmmmm.  Paul was with his mom to late to do the matinee so we are going to Taco Del Mar for dinner.  It's new here.  I think it's a great fast food chain.  (If that isn't an oxymoron)

I love Taco Del Mar...especially double-punch Monday.  Does yours have a punch card where, for every burrito, you get a punch (on the card...not in the face ;)) and when you get 10 punches, you get a free burrito?  But on Mondays, they give double punches (on the card) and then you only need to go five times to get a free burrito.  Free is good. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2006, 09:39:43 PM »

Damn!  Maybe I will go up there and get dinner.  I already have food for dinner, but I suppose I could eat it tomorrow.

The burritos also freeze well.  When I want to freeze one, I get it without sour cream and guacamole (but then I never get guacamole = :P ) and no lettuce.  When I get it home, I take off the foil and rewrap it in wax paper (I'm sure plastic wrap would do) and then freeze it.  I've only cooked it in my toaster oven (remove wrap and heat for 20 minutes or so at 350° I think...but watch it carefully) but it should be good in the microwave, also. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:40:02 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2006, 09:46:02 PM »

Well, my mom was here to help clean my house and we got the kitchen and my dining area cleaned (my mom cleaned the kitchen and I did the dining area), but still probably only a quarter of the house is done.  I still need to do the living room, the extra bedroom and my bedroom.  That will be the worst...but I MUST do it alone (almost a Chicago reference).

It'll be a process, but if I don't attempt to do it all at once, I think it'll be manageable...I hope. ::)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:46:42 PM by George »

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2006, 09:52:03 PM »

No. Is that cable? I don't get premium cable stations.
Yes it's on CNN Headline News.

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2006, 09:54:07 PM »

I love Taco Del Mar...especially double-punch Monday.  Does yours have a punch card where, for every burrito, you get a punch (on the card...not in the face ;)) and when you get 10 punches, you get a free burrito?  But on Mondays, they give double punches (on the card) and then you only need to go five times to get a free burrito.  Free is good. ;D

Yes they do.  And we get double punches on Monday.  I get the feeling they are pretty much the same everywhere....although this may be the only one with "Surf the Missouri River" painted on the wall

George

« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »

Yes they do.  And we get double punches on Monday.  I get the feeling they are pretty much the same everywhere....although this may be the only one with "Surf the Missouri River" painted on the wall

Uhh...yea, we don't have anything like that here. :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2006, 09:55:47 PM »

I really need to clean too, George.  It's so easy to put off when I'm busy.  I am very good about the litter boxes every day and the food and the garbage etc.  If it could smell - it's out of here!

George

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2006, 09:57:03 PM »

Well Taco Del Mar was a hit.  Paul like the food, but especially liked all the photos of the hunky male surfers from the 50s? not sure what decade but awhile ago.

The TDM's in this area don't have any "photos of the hunky male surfers."  I'd go a heck of a lot more often!

;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2006, 09:57:25 PM »

On that happy note think I'll check on Boo get in bed with Benjamin Kritzer......the book that is ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2006, 09:58:04 PM »

The TDM's in this area don't have any "photos of the hunky male surfers."  I'd go a heck of a lot more often!

;)

Maybe I'll take my camera in and show you what I mean

George

« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2006, 09:58:14 PM »

I really need to clean too, George.  It's so easy to put off when I'm busy.  I am very good about the litter boxes every day and the food and the garbage etc.  If it could smell - it's out of here!

Me, too...I HAVE to clean the cat box, but it's in my bathroom and I always do it just before I take a shower, so it's easy to remember to do it.

George

« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2006, 09:58:36 PM »

Maybe I'll take my camera in and show you what I mean

Please! ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »

Night!

George

« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2006, 10:02:17 PM »

Sleep well! 8)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2006, 10:40:22 PM »

Good evening George!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up