Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS  (Read 55951 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2006, 08:16:41 AM »

Off to do some straightening up around the house and then on to lunch preparation and movie watching.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2006, 08:18:49 AM »

Page Two BROTHER BEAR Dance!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2006, 08:28:37 AM »

I think we may have lost one of the bird babies - only see two in the nest now, and noticed that what looks like a tiny bird body lying on the ground close to the garage.  Is that something mommy bird would have done - taken a dead baby bird out of the nest and dropped it on the ground?  Or, I could be wrong and it might not be a baby bird on the ground (it's really a tiny thing and there are lots of little plant thingees all over the ground).  The two that I can still see in the nest seem healthy and mommy is feeding them often and they're singing up a storm.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »

BK, will we be seeing pix from today's and yesterday's shows and events.

House of  Pies coconut cream pie with whipped cream.   Homer Simpson's donut  drool moment...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »

A lull... ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2006, 12:03:57 PM »

DR Elmore - if I'm reading this Playbill article correctly, the NYMF will conclude on the day before Richard and I arrive in NYC  :-\

And I have two shows in it! Well, DR Ginny, you'll have to reschedule your life now, won't you?

I wanna live in New York and get invited to things like this!  Or just live in New York (and be able to afford it) and be able to afford going to shows.  Someday...when I win the lottery. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2006, 12:06:16 PM »

ANd DR George, a reminder:

RENO 911! tonght, remember?

Thanks for the reminder!  I'm going to a pot-luck this afternoon, but I don't know if I'll be home in time.  I probably will, but I'll set my VCR, just in case.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2006, 12:16:32 PM »

bk, it could have fallen out of the nest or pushed out of the nest if it was the smaller of the three.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 12:19:42 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »

Off to a picnic in a bit.... YIKES, it will be a hot one.....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »

Today was not one of my favorite days at work.

For example, there was the elderly lady who was quite insistant that she had handed me a fifty, and I had only given her change for a twenty.  Fortunately, this took place close to my break, so Larry-the-assistant-floor-manager was able to audit my register's cash pan without having to close me down.  And no, the elderly lady was mistaken, she had not given me a fifty.  Still, I felt sorry for her, even though it meant that I hadn't made a mistake.

Later, I spent something like forty-five minutes repairing the coupon printer.  The paper had somehow wrapped around the platen, which for that printer is really small.  The one person in the store who had experience in this kind of printer repair was busy in the office, and couldn't be bothered to help, so it was between myself and Larry-the-assistant-floor-manager to figure out what needed to be done.  Yes, we got it fixed.  Really, I'm the one who figured out what had to be done, and then made sure Larry-the-assitant-floor-manager and Dixie-the-floor-manager knew what it was I had figured (so they'll know what to do should the same problem come up again).

No disasters, just aggrivating.

Thank the Lordy for my meds!   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »

bk, it could have fallen out of the nest or pushed out of the nest if it was the smaller of the three.
This sounds cruel, but as the little birdies grow, sacrificing one so Mommy can feed the rest of her brood is quite common.

Just think of this next time you meet a beseiged mother of triplets.  Who is smarter, the mother bird or the mother human?

:o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2006, 12:36:20 PM »

I wanna live in New York and get invited to things like this!...

So do I, DR George, so do I!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2006, 12:40:43 PM »

I have a favor to ask any DRs in the Pacific Time Zone:  at 2:30pm,  on the Food Network there will be an episode of Behind the Bash that's about the fundraiser (Dream Ball at NYC's Waldorf Astoria) for the American Cancer Society program "Look Good, Feel Better."  If anyone could record it for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Or any DRs in other time zones who may have already recorded it...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »

I have a favor to ask any DRs in the Pacific Time Zone:  at 2:30pm,  on the Food Network there will be an episode of Behind the Bash that's about the fundraiser (Dream Ball at NYC's Waldorf Astoria) for the American Cancer Society program "Look Good, Feel Better."  If anyone could record it for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Or any DRs in other time zones who may have already recorded it...

I can tape it if no one else does.

George

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2006, 12:58:03 PM »

My VCR is set. :)

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »

Thanks, George!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2006, 01:07:57 PM »

I amy VERY patient, DR MATTH....just when you can.

One of my favorite things in TOO MANY GIRLS is Mr Van Johnson as one of the chorus boys, dancing up a storm with no idea of the stardom ahead for him.   And of course Lucy in some of the BIG numbers lost in the crowd and dancing as best she can - but usually a beat behind....not having done the numbers on Broadway.

Desi shines and must have been SOMETHING in concert and onstage....no wonder Lucy fell for him.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2006, 01:08:21 PM »

Yes it may have been a birdie fratricide....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2006, 01:09:26 PM »

Very busy the first couple of hours, but not so much right now here at The World of Wisdom.  That's okay.

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE had a good audience last night and I think our second week will be nearly full houses.  Everyone has a good time and I hear good comments on the egress.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2006, 01:10:13 PM »

work work work......but considering some angles on the Unseemly Trivia Contest.

DR CILLA LIZ...last week's winner....are you working on it?

Where is DRJMK?

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

Good afternoon!

We've got an inferno here. Just as hot and muggy and still as the South can be in the middle of summer. Yuck!

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »

DR Jrand, I found the video of HAWKE with very little effort. (I'm so proud of myself for putting it somewhere logical!)

At any rate, I'll get to work on the dubbing at some point today and should have it ready to go in a day or two (could be ready tomorrow, but I don't want to make any promises until I get it on disc. Things can always go wrong, and it IS a long movie)

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2006, 01:33:03 PM »

I started the afternoon watching another CSI episode from Season 5. This was the one that solved some serial killings which began in a season 4 episode. Very entertaining episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2006, 01:35:42 PM »

Next came DANCING LADY. Joan actually has some dancing talent, but someone should have been kind and told her that she should not watch her feet when she dances. Anyway, this old film has been given a nice transfer. Nelson's Eddy one brief song near the end does not show him to best advantage, however. Good lord, it's a miracle MGM kept him under contract.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »

Then I pulled something of a surprise on myself. As I took out the laserdisc boxed set that contained several Joan Crawford movies (with the intention of watching A WOMAN'S FACE), I noticed that the box also contained WHEN LADIES MEET which I had never watched before. What a cast! In addition to Crawford, there are Robert Taylor, Greer Garson, Spring Byington, Herbert Marshall, and it's a romanbtic comedy. I only had time to watch the first side of the alserdisc (about 50 minutes or so), but I'll finish it later today.

When I got to my office, I did a little research since I knew nothing about this movie. Who knew it was a remake of an earlier 30s comedy that starred Myrna Loy? Watching this, I imagined it was an original screenplay written for Hepburn and Tracy and turned down by them so Crawford and Taylor stepped into it. But nothing of the kind. Looks like it was meant for the stars who played it and as another step for Garson on her road to being MGM's top female star.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:44:50 PM by Matt H. »

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2006, 02:02:12 PM »

Where is DRJMK?

I was playing with a few things but am quite lost at the moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »

I haven't received the bill for my AC yet (I do know the estimate) but I can say at this moment I think it is worth every cent!   Right now the temp is 99 and heat index 105!

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »

Heading down now to clean the guest bathroom and then back to WHEN LADIES MEET.

I recorded June Allyson's chat with Robert Osborne to watch again, so I'll see that tonight, too, before network TV commences.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2006, 02:16:38 PM »

Have we had any topics today?  Hmm.  Has anyone seen the previews of any of this fall's new shows that look good, or at least interesting?  How about disgusting?  

PLus(+)

JERICHO
STUDIO 60
VANISHED

Minus (-) I hope!
UGLY BETTY or BETTY THE UGLY
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2006, 02:21:42 PM »

Where is DRJMK?

Yesterday, when I read the contest, I didn't have a clew.  However, I woke myself up in the night with a possible starting point.

Aren't DR JMK and his family on their annual vacation?
[/size]

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 02:23:22 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up