Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT WAVE  (Read 61316 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HEAT WAVE
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:36:44 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were hot, baby, hot, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just sitting there like so much fish, too hot to handle.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 12:15:49 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HEAT WAVE
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:39:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: HAPTIC!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 04:57:16 AM »

It's so hot people aren't posting!!!

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 04:58:07 AM »

It's already very hot here in New York. When I left the house at 6:05am I walked out the door and almost turned around to walk back in but now I'm at the office with a fan and air conditioning.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 05:00:49 AM »

This from DR Laura:

Here is a question: In 1776, does the actress who plays Mrs. Jefferson get paid as much as the actors who perform for the whole show?

and this from DR Jose:

Well, all actors get paid the same base salary - at least for Equity productions.  However, the base salaries are just minimums.  If you have a good agent...

but a good agent won't get you much more if the theatre operates under what's called a "Favored Nations" contract, meaning that all actors get the same thing, same salary, same amenities, etc. Many small regional houses operate this way to avoid the kind of salary negotiations that can break a production. I don't know if the Musicians Union has an arrangement like this. I just know that it applies to Equity productions for the actors.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 05:01:37 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 05:06:33 AM »

Actors with small parts always prefer the "favored nations" clause.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 05:08:05 AM »

Great reading about everyone's hot day experiences and seeing DRJANE and DR VIXMOM around yesterday.

Some days it just doesn't pay to eat, MR BK.  It seems like a LOT of people didn't want to cook at home yesterday.  Maybe today will be better.  It is only 73 degrees now....on the way to 91, at least.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:15:45 AM »

TOD:

Well my favorite is POINT OF ORDER, which many DR's have already seen.

But I will also add:

Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie

Into the Arms of Strangers

Derek and Clive Get the Horn - Peter Cook & Dudley Moore recording an album....I only saw this once at someone's house and haven't seen it again....but it really made me laugh.

They Shoot Movies Don't They? - a crazy "mockumentary" that seems to be real....I don't know...but it is certainly worth a look for people in the industry or INTERESTED in films.  Have you seen this, MR BK?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 05:17:26 AM »

Hmmm - may tackle the trivia question again this morning.  GRRRRRRRRRR

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 05:24:40 AM »

Thanks for your answers about 1776. I just always wondered.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 05:25:28 AM »

Good morning, all!  How wonderful to see our Nursie Jane amongst the living at HHW.  I wish she were holding my hand while I see the surgeon this morning.

Today is very quiet; I've been enjoying the solitude of the apartment and listening to demos of my two favorite unproduced musicals:  THE TRAGIC AND HORRIBLE LIFE OF THE SINGING NUN and FOR THE LOVE OF TIFFANY.

TOD:
  OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR!
  GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK
  I, CLAUDIUS
  TOUS LES MATINS DU MONDE

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 05:49:26 AM »

Doctor vibes for DR ELMORE.

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 06:23:01 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Humid here, too, but there's a breeze today.

TOD:

Quiz Show
Cradle Will Rock
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 06:23:57 AM »

DR Elmore - hope your doctor visit goes well.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 06:28:24 AM »

Ben and JRand - Don't some actors in "favored nations" shows sometimes manage to get "side agreements" for some sort of special additional something or other, be it a benefit of some kind or extra money for certain expenses, etc.?

To complicate it further, some actors are apparently able to negotiate that if ANYONE else in their company gets a "side agreement" benefit of some sort, they themselves get it too.  

FJL

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 06:29:11 AM »

Hope your doctor visit goes well, Larry.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 06:29:37 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 06:39:49 AM »

Vixmom - Of course vixter is very welcome on August 20th.  Looking forward to seeing you.  

Can we aim for a 5-ish start, and mostly everyone will hopefully be here by 5:30?  That way, people can go to matinees or whatever they want to do before the gathering.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 07:12:28 AM »

Ben and JRand - Don't some actors in "favored nations" shows sometimes manage to get "side agreements" for some sort of special additional something or other, be it a benefit of some kind or extra money for certain expenses, etc.?

To complicate it further, some actors are apparently able to negotiate that if ANYONE else in their company gets a "side agreement" benefit of some sort, they themselves get it too.  

Ah, yes, the quirks of contracts and negotiating. Yes, FJL, depending on what you're doing, those side agreements can be considered outside of the favored nations and if you're a sharp actor with a good agent, you too can receive "side agreements"

Oy!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:12:42 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 07:13:53 AM »

I've put it in my book (the August 20th 5pm HHW get together that is). Depending on Mr. Morelli's calendar I may even persuade him to attend with me. Some of you have met the DP but others are in the dark about the actor some call "Ant"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:15:09 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 07:16:37 AM »

Good morning!

I got a kick out of the five day forecast in the newspaper this morning. Under each picture of a blazing sun and highs in the mid to upper 90s, the text said "Sunny and very hot." The same text was used for all five days.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 07:20:11 AM »

My favorite historical documentary (and it's on DVD, too): ANNE FRANK REMEMBERED.

I read THE DIARY OF A YOUNG GIRL in ninth grade and was so moved and affcted by it, that it has haunted me ever since. Didn't see the movie version for years after I read the diary, and I've never seen the play onstage.

ANNE FRANK REMEMBERED gives all the background on her while taking us to the actual locations where she went to school, lived, and played. We meet her friends (who survived) and, of course, her father. We get more details about the two years the family spent in hiding, and then the really interesting part which is the details of what happened after they were discovered. I found all of this riveting.

One of the more deserved Oscars for best Documentary went to this film.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 07:20:38 AM »

DR JRand, I will put the DVD in the mail for you this afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 07:22:29 AM »

After some discussion about it last week, I pulled out my LP of the 1974 CANDIDE and started listening to it yesterday. Such an enjoyable album even if the singing can't match that of the 1956 original cast.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 07:23:47 AM »

Yep, nice to see that DR Jane made it back home safely even if she didn't post enough for bk's liking. I'm sure the pics she'll eventually post will be worth the wait.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 07:28:01 AM »

I really enjoyed THE BLACK SWAN, but I was a little surprised if Fox was looking for a Tyrone Power classic to release on DVD that they didn't pick BLOOD AND SAND instead. I read on some site that BLOOD AND SAND was voted the most beautiful American-made Technicolor production. (BLACK NARCISSUS was voted the most beautiful British-made Technicolor production.)

Wonder if BLOOD AND SAND is in the loop for release at all. I've read nothing about it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 07:47:48 AM »

Chap it!!

Pathic....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 07:48:33 AM »

Good day one and all!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 07:51:04 AM »

"even Naked Space sold a few"

Now what's that supposed to mean???

:)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 07:59:53 AM »

MattH, I also liked Anne Frank Remembered.

I also liked Story of English.... Nice and fascinating history on the English Language and its many forms....

I did like a documentary from the BBC called the Celts. Despite the fact that it is tedious and a bit long winded (Gotta love Oxford English!) It does have its fascinating moments but I loved the soundtrack. Too bad the soundtrack was never released.

The Civil War by Ken Burns. I am a Civil War enthusiast and I really enjoyed this. Loved the soundtrack. There was a subsequent documentary called Songs of the Civil War where they talked about the music of the era and the music that was used in the Ken Burns' documentary.  Ashoken Farewell is a haunting piece.

Blood is Strong ... The soundtrack is haunting as many of teh tracks are performed by the group Capercaillie and sung in both Scots Gaelic and English by Karen Matheson
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:02:13 AM by DakotaCelt »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 08:01:57 AM »

THE CELLULOID CLOSET is a wonderful documentary about the history of gay characters in films. And the DVD contains outtakes of more talking heads that couldn't be fit into the main feature. For those interested in the subject, it's not an exhaustive history, but it's certainly a great starting point.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up