Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT WAVE  (Read 61334 times)

Cillaliz

Re:HEAT WAVE
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »

Better get back to work.. Much to do....much to do....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2006, 10:56:09 AM »

Another film I watched on DVD this weekend was the Agatha Christie "mystery" from 1972 called "Endless Night."

Not altogether successful as a film, it did pair up Hayley Mills with her "The Family Way" co-star Hywel Bennett.

The film on VHS was soft and a bit murkey at times.

On DVD it's quite lovely and focused, with wonderful production values and a quite nice Bernard Herrmann score (with Howard Blake on the Moog synthesizer!!!).

I don't know how faithful it is to the Christie tale, but it's interesting that the location and the house play a starring role in the film.

Per Oscarsson is an interesting addition to the cast which includes Britt Ekland.  The sequence shot in Positano made me homesick for Italy.  A particularly stunning shot is of Oscarsson and Bennett sitting on the veranda of a villa Oscarsson's character was building for a wealthy client.  It's nighttime...with the bay and town below beautifully illuminated.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 01:14:13 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2006, 11:02:34 AM »

Speaking of historical films...and up MBarnum's alley, historical fiction:

I watched the Warner Brothers 1937 "The Prince and the Pauper" on DVD.  What a sweet surprise it was to find this film in such marvelous condition.

This has long been a favorite film...since seeing it on TV in the early 1960s.  Errol Flynn is at his swashbuckling (and young Flynn) best.  The Mauch twins -- Billy and Bobby -- are my favorite leads in the many filmed versions of this story.  It has been decades since I read the novel.  The film's dialogue is a bit "of its day" (i.e., the 1930s)...at one point, the prince falls into Flynn's arms crying about his "dad" (Henry VIII, who has died).  I don't know if Twain ever put the word "dad" into either of his boys' mouth.  Maybe...

The casting is marvelous...the accents a bit muddled among the poor.  When the film opens and a boy has been born to Henry and his wife, the mob are exclaiming about the new Prince of "Wiles" (i.e., Wales with a Cockney accent, I'm guessing).  They don't even try an accent on other words...just "Wiles".

Still...it's a cracking good movie and features a rousing Erich Wolfgang Korngold score (not a great one, but better than most other composers of that time...and this time).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:04:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2006, 11:12:22 AM »

Hello, PennyO! Thank you for the compliments. You are so kind and generous. Bruce has told me about the new songs for your show, but I haven't heard them yet. Hopefully, soon. Yes, bk as a kid. Just before that prom pic was taken bk sat down at the piano and played one of his own compositions. Pure bk, huh? Best of luck with the show!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2006, 11:28:28 AM »

Ok, now you may all think I'm crazy about this one, but if you throw out the love story, TITANIC is amazingly historically accurate.  I got a bit obsessed with the historical background when the film came out and did a lot of research.  I'd see the film, do some research, then see the film again and viola! there it all was in the background.  I won't confess how many times I saw it.  Doing all the research made going to the exhibition a real joy.

How many times did you see it??  My niece paid to see it 21 times in the theater!  AND she paid for me to take her four times.  I liked it but I don't ever need to see it again.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »

How many times did you see it??  My niece paid to see it 21 times in the theater!  AND she paid for me to take her four times.  I liked it but I don't ever need to see it again.

I felt that way after one viewing!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:14 AM »

This just in: I am not a lesbian

Oprah

Did you get the subtle color thing I did? It's purple. Get it??? Maybe I'm being too obvious  :D

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2006, 12:06:31 PM »

Shes fat, she's thin, she's straight, she's gay, she's black, she's white, she hates hip-hop, she loves hip-hop - ooohhhh! I know MY world revolves around her!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2006, 12:07:56 PM »

TOD - I loved ONE MILLION YEARS, BC and QUEST FOR FIRE!!!!
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »

TOD - I loved ONE MILLION YEARS, BC and QUEST FOR FIRE!!!!

You're a woman after DR MBarnum's heart!  I'm still surprised he didn't mention the Jorge Rivero ADAM AND EVE as his favorite historic movie!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »

You're a woman after DR MBarnum's heart!  I'm still surprised he didn't mention the Jorge Rivero ADAM AND EVE as his favorite historic movie!

Nominated for Best Costuming, no doubt, at some film festival!

Thanks DR MATTH!  I appreciate it.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

Historical films....

The Wind and the Lion

The Lion in Winter

Tombstone

Gone With the Wind

Finding Neverland

The Miracle

Son of Fury & Toast of New York & Come and Get It

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2006, 12:17:24 PM »

As for "favored nations" - yes DR FJL what DRBEN says is true.

I know that William Frawley had an agreement with Desilu that he would get exactly what Vivian Vance got during I LOVE LUCY negotiations.  Vance had one of the powerhouse Orsattis for an agent....Frawley didn't even have an agent, but because Vance's was so tough (and Vance threatened each year to quit and go back into therapy in New Mexico) - Frawley had a sweet deal.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »

And the word of the day is: HAPTIC!
Just thinking about HAPTIC responses was enough to make PA ITCH.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2006, 12:26:55 PM »

Just thinking about HAPTIC responses was enough to make PA ITCH.

Variety Headline:

FAT DOG MAKES HAP TIC

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »

HIP CAT makes A PITCH AT CHIP.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2006, 01:05:09 PM »

This just in: I am not a lesbian

Oprah

Oh, DR Ben, thanks for sharing this.  Now I can sleep nights!  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »

I preferred the book!  Vito Russo was a dear friend and I still miss him.  I feel the film's problem is that it was done after Vito's tragic death and doesn't have his tone.

I agree with you. No film could be as inclusive of the subject as the book was. And thankfully on the DVD, a lecture that Vito gave has been added to one of the audio tracks as a bonus feature, so his "spirit" is at least a little bit present on the DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »

Ever have a tune get stuck in your mind, and not be able to get it out?

I doubled that today.  

I had "Happy Talk" from South Pacific bouncing along with "Life Is" from Zorba.

They would make for an interesting medley.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2006, 01:23:33 PM »

DR JRand, I put the DVD in the mail this afternoon first class, so look for it around WEdnesday if the fates are kind.

George

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »

Ever have a tune get stuck in your mind, and not be able to get it out?

Earlier today, I read a headline (but not the article) that says that Jennifer Aniston wouldn't mind having a "Friends" reunion show.  The song that popped into my head and hasn't left is (...we can never go) "Back To Before" from Ragtime. ;)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 01:28:51 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2006, 01:30:45 PM »

I spent the entire afternoon (the little that was left after a long lunch and errands) with TOO MANY GIRLS.

I'm so glad to have this, but there were thin scratches that popped up for extended periods fairly often in the film. No big thing, and the contrast looks excellent with this sharp transfer. Yes, Van Johnson is quite prominent among the ensemble (but not exhibiting much screen charisma, to be honest).

I think I spied Hugh Martin for a couple of seconds during one of the numbers as well.

The powers that be never were able to find believable singing doubles for Lucille Ball. Trudy Erwin here isn't a very good match (though a fine singer) and neither were Gloria Grafton or Martha Mears in other films.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2006, 01:32:19 PM »

Earlier today, I read a headline (but not the article) that says that Jennifer Aniston wouldn't mind having a "Friends" reunion show.  The song that popped into my head and hasn't left is (...we can never go) "Back To Before" from Ragtime. ;)

Lisa Kudrow said in an interview I read recently that both Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer put the kibosh on those plans. All the women and Matthew Perry were on board.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2006, 01:34:03 PM »

So, tonight, I'll try to get through DEADWOOD, ENTOURAGE, and RENO 911! at least before a new episode of THE CLOSER comes on.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »

I agree with you. No film could be as inclusive of the subject as the book was. And thankfully on the DVD, a lecture that Vito gave has been added to one of the audio tracks as a bonus feature, so his "spirit" is at least a little bit present on the DVD.

That's good to know; I only saw the film in a theatre.  Vito was one of the funniest and most decent men I've ever known.  I truly miss him.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2006, 01:49:36 PM »

I'm so glad to have this, but there were thin scratches that popped up for extended periods fairly often in the film. No big thing, and the contrast looks excellent with this sharp transfer. Yes, Van Johnson is quite prominent among the ensemble (but not exhibiting much screen charisma, to be honest).

I never thought he showed any screen charisma; he was always - to me - one of those MGM stars whose career I never understood.  The shaky soprano of Kathryn Grayson was another.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2006, 01:59:39 PM »

Back from a yummilicious meal at Hugo's.  Must now try to write a bit.

elmore, I'll probably be sending out your package on Wednesday!

George

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2006, 01:59:44 PM »

I'm at work and I'm just about to listen to the "world premiere recording" of Bernarda Alba and I noticed that it's got three acts.  I can't remember the last time a musical had three acts...other than going back to Anyone Can Whistle.  I'm just curious but does anyone else know of more recent three-act musicals? :)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:23:41 PM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »

Back from a yummilicious meal at Hugo's.  Must now try to write a bit.

elmore, I'll probably be sending out your package on Wednesday!

Sounds good!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2006, 02:09:37 PM »

Lisa Kudrow said in an interview I read recently that both Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer put the kibosh on those plans. All the women and Matthew Perry were on board.

LeBlanc, for one, should be eager to salvage some degree of respectability for the character of "Joey"...after that absymal two-season laugh-deficient offshoot "Joey" finally bit the big one, he should consider recreating the character in an AMUSING way rather than that stupidity we were treated to in the solo series.

David Schwimmer can eat Spam and die for all I care.  

They can have Ross off in Iraq on a major dig after bombs revealed a paleontological treasure trove of skeletal remains of some ancient something or other.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up