Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT WAVE  (Read 61318 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:HEAT WAVE
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2006, 02:15:20 PM »

Ooh-ooh!

Another film I watched over the weekend -- one sent on a VHS tape by a friend who recorded it off Cinemax many years ago -- was the 1951 20th Century-Fox island epic "Bird of Paradise".  Written and Directed by Delmer Daves, this film was a bit too simplistic for the time it was made.  But the film is probably the most gorgeous I've seen in terms of showing off the islands of Polynesia.  

The photography and location and, best of all, a wonderfully lovely (and unique) score by Daniele Amfitheatrof with sumptuous chorale work by Ken Darby adds up to just under two hours of wondrous entertainment.

Debra Paget, as Kahlua, daughter of the chief who most make the ultimate sacrifice for her people (according to the evil-looking Kahuna, reader of signs and portents) has never been more lovely in any film she made.  She doesn't have many lines, but she smiles winningly throughout the film...except, of course, when she's sad.

I saw this film twice on NBC's "Saturday Night at the Movies" back in the 1960s.  Haven't seen it since until this past Friday.

It was a very happy reunion!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2006, 02:18:12 PM »

Page 5 4 Cuban Dance:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:14:52 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2006, 02:37:40 PM »

I'm at work and I'm just about to listen to the "world premiere recording" of Bernarda Alba and I noticed that it's got three acts.  I can't remember the last time a musical had three acts...other than going back to Anyone Can Whistle.  I'm just curious but does anyone else know of more recent three-act musicals? :)

Well, NO NO NANETTE was three acts, but its origin was pre-ANYONE CAN WHISTLE (even though the revival came afterwards).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2006, 02:38:01 PM »

Page 5 Cuban Dance:

And a title en francaise!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2006, 02:40:58 PM »

Well, NO NO NANETTE was three acts, but its origin was pre-ANYONE CAN WHISTLE (even though the revival came afterwards).

Most musicals into the 1920s were 3-acters, primarily, I suspect, from the European operetta tradition.  Gilbert & Sulivan operas are usually in 2 Acts, although I believe PRINCESS IDA has 3.

The only post-ANYONE CAN WHISTLE 3-acters I can think of are (because they're three one-acts) 3HREE and THE APPLE TREE.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 02:41:17 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »

MOST HAPPY FELLA was in 3 Acts, and I think it should stay that way.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2006, 02:47:19 PM »

Off to start on the week's cleaning chores. Then back to the TV to watch last night's recorded programs.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2006, 02:57:39 PM »

George - Bernarda Alba is in three "acts," but it was performed at Lincoln Center without an intermission.  (Or did you already know that?  :) )

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »

Most musicals into the 1920s were 3-acters, primarily, I suspect, from the European operetta tradition.  Gilbert & Sulivan operas are usually in 2 Acts, although I believe PRINCESS IDA has 3.

The only post-ANYONE CAN WHISTLE 3-acters I can think of are (because they're three one-acts) 3HREE and THE APPLE TREE.

I forgot about 3hree and The Apple Tree...although I do have the CDs.  At one point (long before the Broadway version of Falsettos), the scripts of the three one-act musicals by William Finn about Marvin, Trina, Whizzer, et. al., were published as "The Marvin Trilogy," but I don't know if they were ever performed as such.  

But these are all examples of three individual one-act musicals either written or put together to make an evening, but I was just curious if one show/story was originally written (fairly recently) to be three acts.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »

George - Bernarda Alba is in three "acts," but it was performed at Lincoln Center without an intermission.  (Or did you already know that?  :) )

I didn't know that.  Did you see it?  Is the CD the whole show or is there dialogue to make it a longer evening?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »

(If you haven't guessed, I haven't started listening to the CD, yet...soon, I promise, soon ;))

FJL

« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2006, 03:03:27 PM »

LORD OF THE RINGS, which some of us feel is technically not totally a musical (more musical than play with music, though), was in three acts when we saw it in Toronto in March.  I've heard that the second intermission was shortened to a pause at some point, though, but still three distinct acts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2006, 03:08:02 PM »

As promised, here are some photographs.  First up is Nick and our very own Mr. Kevin Spirtas.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2006, 03:09:40 PM »

Next is Kev and my very own self - notice our CELEBRITY badges.

FJL

« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2006, 03:10:47 PM »

CONTACT, of course, was comprised of three separate stories, but no pause between the first and second stories.

Recent productions of the three-act PETER PAN seem to only have a brief pause between the second and third acts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »

Next up is Nick, show veteran Beth, and Nick's pal Michael Mattesino.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2006, 03:12:36 PM »

Next up is Julie McCullogh and Chuck McCann

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2006, 03:13:29 PM »

To the right, the still gorgeous Connie Hines - to the left, someone's butt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2006, 03:14:21 PM »

Finally, Mr. Alan Young and his handler, Carol.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2006, 03:27:52 PM »

How many times did you see it??  My niece paid to see it 21 times in the theater!  AND she paid for me to take her four times.  I liked it but I don't ever need to see it again.

A lot less than your niece

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:15 PM »

Whilst from a "Fiction" book, the movie "Daniel" has enough truth there to be a favourite of mine in the historical genre.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2006, 03:34:41 PM »

Also liked "Warm Spings" and UK shows "All The Kings Men", "A Christmas Truce" and "The Lost Prince".

From France, "Etre et Avoir" is a wonderful documentary.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2006, 03:36:13 PM »

Boo is running around while Callie is in the back of the house. Boo is really funny. She's getting bolder and bolder about exploring and gets into EVERYTHING!!! She just took a running leap and pounced on the piano keyboard....LOL!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »

UK Musical "Acorn Antiques" may have been in 3 acts.
It's a wonderful laugh and worth investing in this DVD if you have multi-zone player.  Julie Walters is the Star.
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2006, 03:37:24 PM »

I'm glad I kept the little squirt

George

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2006, 03:39:52 PM »

UK Musical "Acorn Antiques" may have been in 3 acts.
It's a wonderful laugh and worth investing in this DVD if you have multi-zone player.  Julie Walters is the Star.

Isn't it based on a UK TV show?  Does one have to know the show to enjoy the musical?  I've seen in on Amazon.co.uk and have wondered if I'd understand what was going on if I've never seen the TV show.

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2006, 03:46:03 PM »

The TV show - I've only seen bits - was a total parody of the usual daytime soap. It was written by Victoria Wood. Seeing the TV show is very much not necessary!

Unlike the very funny "League Of Gentlemen" stage show which needed knowledge of the characters. It is VERY funny.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:52:49 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »

Nice pictures bk.. Too bad Matt could not attend....

Cilla, glad that Boots is getting more bold and continued vibes that things work out....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2006, 03:49:23 PM »

The DVD of "The Best of Victoria Wood" would be a good starting point DR George. It includes some "Acorn Antiques" moments and some wonderful comedy routines with Julie Walters.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:53:46 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »

The TV show - I've only seen bits - was a total parody of the usual daytime soap. It was written by Victoria Woods. Seeing the TV show is very much not necessary!

Unlike the very funny "League Of Gentlemen" stage show which needed knowledge of the characters. It is VERY funny.

Thanks for the info...I think I will order it. ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up