Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT WAVE  (Read 61329 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:HEAT WAVE
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2006, 04:22:11 PM »

I think it's funny that Boots has become "Boo".

My first cat was all white and was given to me by a coworker in Naples, Italy (circa 1975-76).  He had named her "Bianca."

I was determined to rename her, however, and she was dubbed "Maggie."

Funnily enough, though, I began calling her "Punkin'"...and we both liked it.  

"Punkin'" was a trip.

I had a long narrow hallway, all marble flooring, and I would loosely wad a sheet of aluminum foil into a ball and throw it down the hall.   Punkin would run to get it and slide with all four paws into the end of the hall...but she'd get that foil ball and bring it back to me...and we'd play like that until she got tired of running into that wall!

LOL!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:25:21 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2006, 04:23:47 PM »

Now, it's Page 5:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... It was one of those days I woke up "tired", and, right now, I'm still a bit "tired".  Hmm... ???

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2006, 04:48:36 PM »

Oh, as other DRs have stated, it's hot and humid here in New York City.  However...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2006, 05:00:59 PM »

Anyway....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2006, 05:01:18 PM »

:D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »

I spent most of today in the air-conditioned comfort of Studio C of the Actor's Equity Association audition center playing auditions for two of the shows in the upcoming NYMF.  I played for some good people.  I played for some bad people.  I played for some so-so people.

And I played for one guy who, after I attempted to play his song for him for the third time, I felt was going to come behind the piano and punch me.  Well, maybe not punch me, but at least get very mad at me.  I stopped "us" the first time when I realized I was not with him.  The he stopped me the second time... Then a third...

"It's just a ballad!"
-Are you backphrasing?
"No, I am not.  I could go ahead and sing something else, something easier."
 -That's not necessary.  Would you just like me to chord your song for you?

And that seemed to do the trick.

It was one of those cases where he had paid someone to write out an accompaniment - and probably paid whoever good money to do so - but the piano part in no way reflected the way the singer was singing it.  He was singing a ballad, and the accompaniment part appeared to be an up-tempo.  Even the composer of one of the shows who sitting behind me was a bit confused by the music that was put in front of me on the piano.  Needless to say, there was a bit of tension in the room after he left, but we all eventually laughed it off.  Sort of.

Sadly, he actually sang the song rather well, but after the amount of "attitude" that was shown in the room, his picture and resume was moved right to the "No" pile.

-And I so wanted to tell him what was wrong with his music, but something told me that that was probably not the right time to do so.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 05:09:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2006, 05:13:23 PM »

But, all in all, I had a good time today, but since I had woken up "tired", I was sort of in low gear all day.  Even I was surprised at how "down" I was feeling.  I'm guessing it was from sensing all the heat and humidity outside.  Or maybe it was from all the actors who kept coming in and saying how awful it was outside.  And then when that guy came in - see my previous post - that didn't help matters either.

But, again, I had a good time, and the people behind the table were very complimentary.  I gave out - and was asked for - a bunch my business cards.  Even one of the producers of the NYMF asked for me info.  And as always, there were a couple of actors who came in who I've worked with in the past.  Always nice seeing old friends.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »

Oohhh... Just got some good news via an e-mail!  The check is really in the mail!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2006, 05:18:35 PM »

Oohh... This may have been discussed during one of the days I was errant and truant over the past couple of weeks, but just in case it hasn't...  Just in case anyone is interested...

The Original Cast Recording for Lestat is currently on hold.  It was supposed to be released on July 11, but for now, it's on hold.  There are some "issues" involved which I don't think I'm at liberty to share on this public forum.  -However, if you'd like to send me a private message...  :-\

But at least we're all getting paid.  Finally!  *See above post.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »

Most musicals into the 1920s were 3-acters, primarily, I suspect, from the European operetta tradition.  Gilbert & Sulivan operas are usually in 2 Acts, although I believe PRINCESS IDA has 3.

The only post-ANYONE CAN WHISTLE 3-acters I can think of are (because they're three one-acts) 3HREE and THE APPLE TREE.
When der Brucer and I saw 3hree in Los Angeles (and I personally loved it), it was presented without an intermission.  Instead, the audience got to watch as the actors changed their costumes and makeup upstage, and the set was changed downstage, the rear wall having been removed for the change.  I'm pretty sure the changes were very well rehearsed, along with the three acts.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »

Sorry I’m not mentioning everyone by name, but thanks for the continued welcome backs.  
And no thanks Bruce for the rant. ;D

Jane

« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2006, 05:48:18 PM »

One of the reasons I haven’t caught up with things around here is I have continued to search for the perfect dog.  I wish she would just follow me home during one of my hikes.  

So even though we have a litter of pups to choose from next month I haven’t stopped looking.  Not only have I been researching breeders but checking out pets in need of a home, mostly giant sized dogs.

SWW & DerBrucer- I must commend you for the wonderful photos you take of dogs.  I can’t believe how bad most of them are on PetFinders & the local humane societies, it’s almost impossible to tell what the dog looks like.  It seems most of the time the faces are elongated. ::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2006, 05:52:27 PM »

My job is to rant, dear Jane.  You have known me for over forty years.  I think you know my job is to rant.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2006, 05:52:59 PM »

...-And I so wanted to tell him what was wrong with his music, but something told me that that was probably not the right time to do so.  :-\
Meeting the feller at a bar, after he's had a couple, and telling him then?  Equally bad idea.

He's probably blaming you for the poor audition.  It can't ever be the fault of the music.  At times like this, I concentrate on the next customer and smile for all I'm worth.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »

My job is to rant, dear Jane.  You have known me for over forty years.  I think you know my job is to rant.

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2006, 05:58:29 PM »

Welcome back, DR Jane!

The reason der B and I get such good pics is a) der B takes about ten pics each time, and selects the best, and b) I get to help, by paying attention to the dog, sometimes holding the dog.  I guess I'm that elf or Mrs. Claus at the mall during Christmas, when all the kid wants to do is scream at the top of his/her lungs and act out.

Only I don't wear funny costumes.  Usually.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 05:59:00 PM by S. Woody White »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2006, 06:02:24 PM »

And why has no one commented on my svelte new body?

Jane

« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2006, 06:05:38 PM »

I have always found those distorted face photos, animals and people alike, a bit creepy.  It is a real shame they are the best that can be taken for something this important.  Guess I shouldn’t be so critical since I’m not offering to do the job. :-[

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2006, 06:06:02 PM »

I think I am getting very close to try to introduce the beasts of prey again. Tonight  I got home and let Boo run - see earlier post - then after dinner, I put her in her carrier again and they stared at each other for awhile. No hisses or anything.  After Boo went back to her room, Callie wanted to go meet her...but Boo saw her in the door and just casually walked under the bed.  So I backed off for tonight, but it's getting close.  

Her name started as Bootsie, but I just don't picture me having a Bootsie, then it was Boots, but that didn't feel right. Maybe it's just that I get a kick out of saying "Boo"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 06:07:24 PM by Cillaliz »

Jane

« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2006, 06:06:56 PM »

Because you are wearing a boxy shirt & didn't show it off.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2006, 06:10:16 PM »

Cillaliz, sorry I missed your birthday party at HHW-hope it was fun.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2006, 06:12:53 PM »

Time to get dinner going.  Chicken Piccata, a salad of apples, celery, shallot and pimentos, bound with a bit of mayo, and some pasta on the side.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »

Cillaliz-I think Boo is cute, much better than Bootsie.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2006, 06:18:05 PM »

I think it is funny that I eat way earlier than folks on the East Coast.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2006, 06:19:08 PM »

What a delightful double surprise I received today in the mail.  Not only did I receive my copy of DECEIT autographed by two entertainment superstars; but I also received my handy dandy sparkling prize for last week's contest-  a copy of JEEPERS CREEPERS.   Thank you, BK. I can't wait to listen to the CD.  Also, I am glad that I received my copy of DECEIT, so that I can watch the DVD before too many well-meaning fans give away too much information about the show.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »

Jeanne-WELCOME! [/size]  

Where in Culver City did you live? Do you remember Currie’s Mile High Ice Cream in Palms?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 06:21:30 PM by Jane »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2006, 06:28:12 PM »

What a delightful double surprise I received today in the mail.  Not only did I receive my copy of DECEIT autographed by two entertainment superstars; but I also received my handy dandy sparkling prize for last week's contest-  a copy of JEEPERS CREEPERS.   Thank you, BK. I can't wait to listen to the CD.  Also, I am glad that I received my copy of DECEIT, so that I can watch the DVD before too many well-meaning fans give away too much information about the show.

They all die at the end.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »

Spoo!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2006, 06:32:57 PM »

elmore, are the pain meds working?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up