Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DIVOON  (Read 57067 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DIVOON
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:13:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were divoon, and now it is time for you to post until the divoon cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:16:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DIVOON
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 12:15:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: INSOUCIANT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:16:46 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to MillerTIV, whomever he/she is.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:07:13 AM »

And why am I up so early????
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 01:10:46 AM »

TOD
The one that immediatly came to mind was
Elizabeth Montgomery in "A Case of Rape"

I am sure there were many others, but way too early for me too think about it. I shall think about it tomorrow. After all tomorrow comes after today.

I bet you thought I was going to quote Gone With the Wind didn't you?
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 01:13:58 AM »

Check the notes again - I'm adding the trivia answers.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 01:42:13 AM »

Well, I did not get anywhere near the correct answers to the Trivia Contest...again.  But I'll keep trying. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 04:14:37 AM »

Yesterday our own Mr. Moore said:

I removed a few; I had put us into Cinemascope.  I really hurt and the gauze bandage is sticking to the incision.  No, I am not happy.

So, does that mean you won't be venturing out in the heat to visit Toyland? Inquiring minds (with honey) want to know  ;D

Ben

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 04:16:39 AM »

So you and Jose are seeing Inishmore tonight. I saw it a couple of weeks ago. In all honesty, I think History Boys was the correct choice for Tony for Best Play. I didn't dislike it but I'm not sure it deserves all the fuss it's getting. But go, view, and discuss among yourselves.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 05:18:09 AM »

Good morning, all!  No, DR Ben, I am not going to Fourteenth Street today.  I am feeling much better, but the incision is still bleeding and I don't want to give myself too much stress today.  Seeing you would be one of the joys of the dat, but tomorrow or later would be better, perhaps.

Yes, tonight I have a theatre date with DR Jose, and I lok forward to seeing the play.  As for the remainder of my day:  I started watching AS YOU LIKE IT last night and I'll finish it today.  I have never liked this play and this BBC production with the great Helen Mirren has convinced me that I loathe it.  Will wrote much better comedies (and worse).  I may then begin THE TAMING OF THE SHREW or THE TEMPEST.

TOD:  too many miniseries, too little time!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 05:37:46 AM »

TOD:

Diana Rigg -- IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE
Maureen Stapleton -- QUEEN OF THE STARDUST BALLROOM
Kirstie Alley -- DAVID'S MOTHER
Jane Seymour -- EAST OF EDEN
Gillian Anderson  -- BLEAK HOUSE
Angela Lansbury -- THE BLACKWATER LIGHTSHIP

Hmmm... All wimmen...  I'll have to give some thought to male performances.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 05:38:55 AM »

Glad to hear you're feeling better Larry. Anthony wants to come by when the honey is delivered so we will play it by ear for now.

Ben

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 05:39:52 AM »

The entire cast of Upstairs Downstairs!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 06:29:26 AM »

The entire cast of Upstairs Downstairs!

Funny that you mention UD, DR Ben, 'cause I was thinking this morning of the CBS rip-off, BEACON HILL.  What a cast that show had, though they couldn't overcome the rather tawdry scripts.  That's a show I'd like to see again.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 06:35:01 AM »

I rarely, if ever, watch Made-for TV movies.  Performances in mini-series, however, I would single out:

Derek Jacobi from I, CLAUDIUS...other brilliant performances from that mini-series include Sian Phillips, Brian Blessed, and John Hurt.

Roger Rees from NICKOLAS NICKLEBY the Tv production of the RSC's famous stage production.  Also from that would be Edward Petherbridge.

Ian McShane from DEADWOOD would be on the list.

Ian Richardson's performances in to TO PLAY THE KING and HOUSE OF CARDS.

Glenda Jackson in ELIZABETH R.

Keith Michell in THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII.

Michael Gambon in THE SINGING DETECTIVE.

Bob Hoskins in PENNIES FROM HEAVEN.

Alistair Sim in COLD COMFORT FARM

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 07:19:56 AM »

Good morning!

Going to get up near 100 here today, so it goes without saying that I'll be inside all day. I dread seeing my electric bill this month with the A/C running pretty much constantly, but it can't be helped. It's hot! And stifling in the midst of the South's infamous humidity.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 07:21:12 AM »

TOD:

Diane Franklin as the evil babysitter in SUMMER GIRL (1983)...When seductive young Cinni comes to babysit for a troubled couple, she's after more than extra spending money

D.W. Moffett and Gena Rowlands in AN EARLY FROST (1985)

John Terlesky in both CONSENTING ADULT (1985) and WHEN HE'S NOT A STRANGER (1989)

Maureen O'Hara in THE LAST DANCE (2000) which is my all time favorite TV movie!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:22:53 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 07:22:15 AM »

I have to say that for me, Derek Jacobi in I CLAUDIUS gave the greatest male performance ever in a miniseries and Glenda Jackson in ELIZABETH R gave the greatest female performance. They were able to go from youth to extreme old age in such believable fashion that to rewatch those shows (which I do all the time) is simply a revelation. I never grow tired of the shows or those brilliant central performances.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 07:26:32 AM »

I have a good many "old" movies lined up for viewing, but I'm really in the mood for something widescreen. I never watched PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES from the Doris Day box, so I think that might be something I watch today. I've also had HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE on the back burner for awhile. If I hadn't ever seen either before, I'd get up from here and watch them right now, but, of course, they're very familiar. Just haven't watched either in some time.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 07:30:59 AM »

There are so many made-for-TV movies that contain memorable performances.

I can cry for James Caan in BRIAN'S SONG without even putting the disc in the player. Just thinking about that final scene with Billy Dee Williams can make me tear up.

Hal Holbrook in THAT CERTAIN SUMMER was pretty wonderful.

Meryl Streep in her various roles in ANGELS IN AMERICA - just brilliant.

Cicely Tyson in THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MISS JANE PITTMAN was terrific.

Even Darren McGavin in THE NIGHT STALKER and THE NIGHT STRANGLER gave those TV-movies an extra fun kick.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 07:33:12 AM »

Jane, thanks so much for the warm welcome. As a newbie I'm still getting acquainted with all of you. I understand that you and I have a special connection. For all the word-lovers, is there a word (we can make up a word) for two Real People who are united in a fictional character?

Sorry, I only vaguely recall a Currie's Mile High Ice Cream spot in Palms. You went to Hami?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 07:42:03 AM »

I had two of the answers but my life has been a bit nutty and I did not get them in. I hate waiting for the other shoe to drop....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 07:43:16 AM »

Actress Carrie Nye has passed away. I saw this on one of the soapboards and it will not let me link the article. She was on Guiding Light but was also known in theatre

NY Times

Carrie Nye, a stage, film and television actress and a fixture at the Williamstown Theater Festival, died Friday at her home in Manhattan. She was 69.

The cause was lung cancer, said her husband, the television host Dick Cavett.

Ms. Nye, known for her dry wit and Mississippi drawl that inevitably attracted comparisons with Tallulah Bankhead, made her Broadway debut in 1960 in “A Second String,” an adaptation of a novel by Colette. Five years later she was nominated for a Tony Award for playing a society lady in the musical “Half a Sixpence.”

Other Broadway productions included “A Very Rich Woman,” a play written by Ruth Gordon, and a 1980 revival of “The Man Who Came to Dinner.” Among her Off Broadway credits were Michael Cacoyannis’s 1963 production of “The Trojan Women” and a 1972 production of Tom Stoppard’s “Real Inspector Hound.”

But the core of her acting career was in regional theater. She came to the Williamstown Theater Festival in northern Massachusetts a few years after it opened, in 1955, and continued to return throughout the 1960’s and 70’s, playing the leading roles in “A Streetcar Named Desire,” “The Skin of Our Teeth” and “Nude With Violin.” With the American Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Conn., Ms. Nye performed “Troilus and Cressida” at the Kennedy White House.

She continued acting in Off Broadway and regional theater in the 1980’s and 90’s, performing in plays by Ibsen, Chekhov and Tennessee Williams with the New Jersey Shakespeare Festival in Madison, the Adelphi Festival Theater in Garden City, N.Y., and the Phoenix Theater Company in Purchase, N.Y.

Along with her theater work, Ms. Nye also acted in many television movies, including a two-part 1973 movie starring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor called “Divorce His” and “Divorce Hers,” an experience she later described hilariously in an essay in Time magazine.

Ms. Nye had the opportunity to play Ms. Bankhead in the 1980 television movie “The Scarlett O’Hara War,” for which she was nominated for an Emmy.

She continued her three-pronged career in the 1980’s, acting in films that included “Creepshow” and “Hello Again,” in regional and Off Broadway productions and, briefly, on the soap opera “The Guiding Light,” before her character fell into a pit of quicksand. (Ms. Nye told Time magazine that her preferred death for her character was “to be impaled on a hatpin.”) She returned to “The Guiding Light,” as a different character, in 2003.

In a 2003 interview with The Times-Picayune of New Orleans, Ms. Nye was asked to name the favorite role of her career. “None of them,” she said. “I only became an actress so I wouldn’t have to cook or make a bed.”

Carolyn Nye McGeoy was born on Oct. 14, 1936, in Greenwood, Miss., the daughter of a bank president and a homemaker. She attended Stephens College in Columbia, Mo., and then went to the Yale Drama School, where she met Mr. Cavett. After Ms. Nye graduated, in 1959, she and Mr. Cavett went to Williamstown for the summer theater festival. They married in 1964; her husband is her only immediate survivor.

In the 1960’s, Mr. Cavett and Ms. Nye rented and then bought Tick Hall, a Stanford White house in Montauk, at the tip of Long Island. After it burned in 1997 Ms. Nye enlisted architects and preservationists to build an exact reproduction of the house, down to the doorknobs, a feat that was recorded in the 2003 documentary, “From the Ashes: The Life and Times of Tick Hall.”

ETA: her two characters on Guiding Light were:  Susan Piper (1984) and Carolyn "Carrie" Carruthers (2003-2004).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:49:58 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 07:45:52 AM »

My sympathies to Dick Cavett, her family and friends.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 07:47:14 AM »

I meant to welcome you as well, Jeanne! You will have fun here!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 07:50:53 AM »

Welcome Jeanne!

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 07:56:10 AM »

Quote from TPunk yesterday:
"I bet a few months from now you will look fondly back on this time as the time before Boo took over the house.  Just as Rodzinski and I remember the time before Walty ran the house, and stayed quietly in the guest room."

LOL, I think that's what Callie is afraid of and she's trying to keep the incursion on her territory limited to the guest bedroom.  I'm going to try to put them together tonight.  It's really time....well in MY world it's time, we'll see about THEIR world.

Cillaliz

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 07:59:11 AM »

I got an email that says:

"SUSAN AND GOD MUST CLOSE on July 30th!"  

My first thought was "What a real estate deal that must have been, and I wonder if God had an agent or was it a for sale by owner kind of thing"

Cillaliz

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 08:00:28 AM »

I have much work to do, but we are so close to page two...

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 08:00:42 AM »

Just a little push will get us there
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up